Ming Ming Hatsune

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

4 hours ago, TimmiT said:

Obviously it is an option considering all of the shows that are on Hulu but not on Netflix.

In Sonic's case I mean. He doesn't exactly have much recognition asides a negative spotlight scenario and limiting access to one of the most positive aspects of the franchise to a single service is ludicrous to me.

With any luck, hopefully this is the end of SEGA's exclusive obsessions, but not holding my breath. If they want to continue restricting Sonic to single audiences, be my guest, but don't expect him to keep the buildings open forever with these current mindsets/methods.

"Hey! Here's Sonic! But, you know, he's ONLY here so... Deal with it." is getting on my nerves. If we can't even have an option as to how/where we watch his shows, yeah, it gives reason and right to be miffed over the exclusive direction again. And I mean the series as a whole, not just by the grace of whatever episodes air on TV.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

"Hey! Here's Sonic! But, you know, he's ONLY here so... Deal with it." is getting on my nerves.

Remember when Ben Afflec was Daredevil?

Gawd if only the TV show hadn't been netflix exclusive. It might have become super popular and drawn a new audience to it. Maybe even spawned a second series and a spinoff or two. If it was everywhere it might have done really well!

3 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Remember when Ben Afflec was Daredevil?

Gawd if only the TV show hadn't been netflix exclusive. It might have become super popular and drawn a new audience to it. Maybe even spawned a second series and a spinoff or two. If it was everywhere it might have done really well!

Netflix - Worldwide Servive

Hulu - US Only

Sonic BOOM already stripped from YouTube, or in the process, leaving the rest of the world in the dark with the series remaining only on TV elsewhere and DVD's in the UK, incomplete DVD's I might add.

While the series will come to whatever streaming services in the rest of the world, somebody already mentioned iTunes or something? It's still the fact that SEGA has "exclusive deal" obsession going on when it could have been a simultaneous streaming service launch. Hulu, Netflix, etc for the sake of the series getting as much recognition as possible in all territories. But instead it's an instantaneous "Exclusive deal you say? Oh, we're in!" moment at SEGA.

Would you rather make an extra buck in a deal, or have your product friggin' everywhere for people with other preferences to see?

17 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

leaving the rest of the world in the dark with the series remaining only on TV elsewhere and DVD's in the UK, incomplete DVD's I might add.

You know you really need to actually read Sonic news sites or even some licensing sites instead of posting alarmist stuff on forums and facebook pages.

I've lost count the number of times I've seen Sega confirm they've sold Boom to another region. They even announced last week it was coming out in several other regions via global license and other license magazines. Only it's done so often that nobody really bothers to comment on it anymore.

3 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

You know you really need to actually read Sonic news sites or even some licensing sites instead of posting alarmist stuff on forums and facebook pages.

I've lost count the number of times I've seen Sega confirm they've sold Boom to another region. They even announced last week it was coming out in several other regions via global license and other license magazines. Only it's done so often that nobody really bothers to comment on it anymore.

Yes, TV broadcast, I'm talking about digital streaming here with the ENTIRE series available at once in a convenient location.

I'm aware of how widespread the series is on television but you cannot watch the whole series at once on TV, unless you were one who was able to record everything on a DVR of some sort.

Or tape... Do people still use those...?

4 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Yes, TV broadcast, I'm talking about digital streaming here with the ENTIRE series available at once in a convenient location.

I'm aware of how widespread the series is on television but you cannot watch the whole series at once on TV, unless you were one who was able to record everything on a DVR of some sort.

Or tape... Do people still use those...?

Believe it or not, I have neighbours who still use a VCR and have no idea what an SD card is supposed to be.

On 5/16/2016 at 4:22 PM, Chris Knopps said:

I'd rather not have to settle, again. Options/variety is a necessity today, not an option itself.

Not everything is going to have a million options. This has always been the case.

On 5/17/2016 at 5:48 PM, Detective Hogfather said:

It should also be noted that Cartoon Network has a licensing agreement with Hulu. That's why most of their shows stream there instead of Netflix. You can complain all you want, but that's just business. Also, being on Hulu means there's a possibly new season 2 episodes will stream next day, but I doubt it since they don't do the same with Steven Universe. 

I gotta say, watching the series in full 1080P on a big screen is both a blessing and a curse. You really get to see an amount of detail you might have missed before. (My cartoon network channel was SD only on my satellite). However, I noticed that the textures seemed flatter and less detailed on later episodes and some things like a cart of food showed at a slant would make the food look like a flat 2-D texture. Also, I don't care for Eggman's fiber texture mustache. It sometimes looks like it's not attached to his face. I would have preferred a simple rubber or clay texture like the citizen's have. There's a also a commercial blackout spot about 8 minutes into each episode, but always right at a perfect spot to have one. I have the commercial free Hulu, so can anyone tell me if they are adding a commercial to the show at that spot in the $9 commercial version?

8 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

@GeneHF Will the episodes have commercials like the typical Hulu show, or will it be like most other Cartoon Network shows and be ad-free?

A good question! Actually, they will not! Sonic Boom is classified as a Kids and Family program on Hulu, which means that ads usually will not run along with the program, even on the lower cost subscription.

1 minute ago, GeneHF said:

A good question! Actually, they will not! Sonic Boom is classified as a Kids and Family program on Hulu, which means that ads usually will not run along with the program, even on the lower cost subscription.

Now we need an ad-free Sonic X! (Could that be classified as a kids show? Even the Japanese version?)

3 hours ago, GeneHF said:

Commercials... Subscriptions should be enough.

18 minutes ago, BLUzCLUz said:

So, what new characters should there be in Season 2?

I hope Rouge would be one of them. Maybe she could be the Bulma to Shadow.

That'd actually be kind of cute, and maybe she could be all flirty. I think her flirty personality would make the show a bit funnier, along with her love of jewels.

20 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I hope Rouge would be one of them. Maybe she could be the Bulma to Shadow.

That'd actually be kind of cute, and maybe she could be all flirty. I think her flirty personality would make the show a bit funnier, along with her love of jewels.

the thing is though they said they weren't going to do this

you'll just have to hope the "new"(as in the boom exclusive) characters are something you'll be open to

34 minutes ago, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

you'll just have to hope the "new"(as in the boom exclusive) characters are something you'll be open to

If there's SegaSonic characters in Fire and Ice, Sega may force Oui Do to add them to the show to promote the game.

8 hours ago, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

SEGA should at least add Rouge. ._.

SEGGGGAAAAAAA!

1 hour ago, SonicEkkusu said:

SEGA should at least add Rouge. ._.

SEGGGGAAAAAAA!

And Silver.

i know they said they weren't going to add other sonic characters but hey, things change.

on the subject of more folks, I would love them. But they seem rather content with who they have, and it sort of make sense, they have all the popular guys and wish to build a new world around that. What I don't like is that a lot of their character designs.... come of as rather... bland, and maybe interjecting some sega ones might spice up the scenery, but again they seem content.

Folks bring up rouge, she's in this weird position where she kind of has to be shadow the hedgehog related... because that's how she spent most of her time, even her conception. Her relevance in this universe is...shadow. And Gun's for that matter.I think they are unwilling to bring characters through because a lot of the time they would be one note jokes, hey rouge runs the government thing,oh sticks was right but they don't do anything with that and it goes... nowhere. And if they do that, they have expectations, oh ok of course shadow is going to work with her or he came from that government whatever. And they kind of don't want that, it very much seems they want sonic boom to be its own thing. They plan to use shadow, they have made that clear several times , its why he's here. I don'think they have plans to use rouge. And to be quite honest I could see them replacing her with another character if shadow gets a team or something like that.

All hope isn't lost however, maybe someone wants to use her, start up a boom team dark. But the issue is, whats to stop some artist from going, I don't like rouge and can make a better character than this, and just making their own rouge the bat type character

They seem to be in a situation where they have no obligation to use the characters outside of the popular ones they are already using, and that's sort of the problem. Its problably not that they can't use them, its probably more like... why? Where does this character fit in to our vision,

So, has anyone with a Hulu subscription tried out watching the show? I've been wondering what the quality is like. I probably will never get a Hulu subscription, but I'm bringing it up because I believe it's the only place where the show is available in HD aside iTunes. And I bought volume 1 off iTunes (UK store) and the 5.1 audio is really great. Much better than the streams found online, but the voices sound.. gargled if that makes sense? Like they are almost a little underwater? And it feels the lip syncing is slightly worse, but that may be just me. Still, it feels like they cheaply took the audio from the DVD release (which is sped up slightly due to the PAL format) and slowed it down to fit the proper 24fps format the show has on iTunes. It's not atrocious, it just sounds gargly and echoy a little. It's most likely more prominent for me since I have some experience with video editing. So eh yeah, my main question that I never asked is, is the audio on Hulu fine, or are there slight issues? And I'm curious to see if the show will ever get a Blu-Ray release.