Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I'd say that was already brought up in the other thread, but this kind of news could also apply to the show, I guess. 

So long as the show is 11-minute long episodes with a comedic focus and no an overarching plot, I really do doubt the Emeralds will appear. It's not impossible that they could show up, but it's unlikely they will do so in any capacity we're used to seeing.

I like the shows plot and humour, but I don't like the character redesigns, especially not Knuckles' redesign.

But we don't know the plot for the show though and it is stated that the plot for the show is going to be very loose and apparently each episode "resets" the universe so yeah. 

I too enjoy the humor from the teaser since it's always entertaining to see Sonic and Eggman backtalk each other.

I understand the redesigns might not be liked by everyone but they look pretty good to me. 

I'll admit Knuckles might take some getting used to, but think of his new muscles and...pecs being used to a comedic advantage!

I'm thinking that by 'universe resets' it'll be something like The Simpsons. There's a small bit of continuity but not a lot.

I'm hoping that's the case. Like, destruction of Metal Sonics, or Eggman holding a childish grudge...or even for things that are important.

A line of which we do not know the context and would be wise not to foolishly assume upon.

I think the stuffing line is a perfectly valid reason to be worried about Knuckles' portrayals considering how he's been characterized recently. He's been an idiot since Heroes.

I think the stuffing line is a perfectly valid reason to be worried about Knuckles' portrayals considering how he's been characterized recently. He's been an idiot since Heroes.

Plus there that other line where he think he's a fortune cookie and proceeds to bite himself.

Though if it really is Knuckles saying "this... is paradise" in the game trailer then he sounds much more Adventury in portrayal there. I'm wondering is he might end up being a wise moron.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think there's anything wrong with Knuckles being portrayed as an idiot. He's always been a bit of an idiot. As long as he's not as quick to yelling in anger as in Sonic X, I'm happy.

Knuckles in Boom seems to be more of a goofball than the outright idiot he was in the games based on those lines. Kind of like Patrick in earlier seasons of Spongebob.

• Thumbs Up 7

Plus there that other line where he think he's a fortune cookie and proceeds to bite himself.

Maybe he actually turn into a cookie or something. It sounds pretty wacky but we don't really know what's going on in that scene.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why should I fall into the assumption that it's sheer idiocy instead of an actual in context situation or god forbid an actual crack at humor by the echidna.

BRB is not Sonic Team and I'm not the pessimistic type that makes an "ass" of "u" and "me" either.

And how was Knuckles particularly idiotic in Heroes anyway?

• Thumbs Up 5

I hope they make him into that "dumb but lovable" character, but balance that with him knowing his place, if nothing else.

Maybe she's referring to this line:

"I will break these ruins with my fists."

I don't care what direction BRB and the writing crew of Sonic Boom goes in for Knuckles anymore. It's a drastically different universe, and they clearly aren't afraid to take risks with the characters and universe, as they have the freedom to make it however they see fit. I can understand wanting a respectable portrayal of Knuckles again, but I just want to be entertained by him. So, I say go all out.

Knuckles is portrayed more like an idiot in '06 then Heroes. Heroes he's laid back and friendly and I think that's the game where he started to hang around Sonic and Tails a lot more.

Is it not possible to make Knuckles both "respectable" and entertaining?

I never said there was anything wrong with that, I know I would appreciate a nice balance of Knuckles being competent yet humorous. I just don't have a problem if this version of Knuckles leans one way or the other, seeing as how the writing is looking as sharp and witty as ever, which could easily play to the strengths of Knuckles possibly being a flat out buffoon. Compared to how bland and arbitrary, not to mention useless Knuckles has been in the main series lately, I'll take what I'm getting if there's actual effort into his character this time around.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What I can sort've see Knuckles as being in those scenes it that on character who tries to be funny. Y'know, he gets a laugh out of you because of all the random things he's saying, but he's just trying to be a bit of a goof and play along with the others or get a laugh out of them.

Sort've an awkward person. Which I can see him being. Who knows what he's doing in this universe. But in the games, he's been on the island for ages. Fairly sure he's not sure how to react or act with others. Being that awkward person lacking social skills.

It's worth bearing in mind that Knuckles's portrayal - and that of all the characters - is likely to differ between the TV show and the game; the cartoon is a comedy, and the game is not.  But I also think it's quite likely that Knuckles's portrayal (and that of all the characters) will change between episodes, depending on the situation.  They'll remain generally the same but the nuance will change to fit the joke.  I don't think Knuckles will be consistently loveably incompetent, nor will he always be so at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Part of me's a little upset to hear the show will be geared on the comedy and only 11 minutes an episode. A TV show is great potential to see the characters broadened and expanded upon in terms of personality, not to mention having some cool stories that could get the viewer hooked wondering "whats gonna happen next?" and whatnot. Not to mention the recent attempts at humor in the franchise have been known to be a bit less than stellar. It feels as if they're trying to get better at something they don't do well at which is nice but I feel they're focusing on the wrong thing.

Sonic can do just fine without comedy, but not so much without action and more broad things. I like some jokes here n there, in fact it's kinda necessary given sonic's cocky attitude, but what I'd really like to see is something in the sense of, say, Last Airbender or something along that style of humor-balanced-with-action-and-story.

Plus, the 3d animation actually looks pretty damn good and seeing Sonic and his pals be lively in battle smashing bots sounds way more entertaining than having them stand/walk around and say funny stuff.

I'm not saying the show will suck or anything. I just wish it was geared differently.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think wanting the show to be more action-oriented is another way of asking it to go the way of previous action shows on CN.

Whether some like it or not, Boom being comedy > action is what will give it chance to do fairly well with CN so they won't need to cancel it. Unfair and short-sighted of CN to do? Well yes. But that's just how things are with them. 

All of that is to assume that anything non-comedy orientated would be an instant failure on CN and that CN is the only possible avenue for a Sonic show. Neither of those have to be the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the show being an action comedy. The action I saw in the trailer looks pretty good to me, and I have no problem with there being a large focus on comedy. I enjoy a good laugh, and getting one from Sonic just makes my day.

What upsets me is that it has to be on CN. Mainly because I don't have CN. What, were they the only ones willing to take the blue blur or something?

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder of they went with CN because it has one of the bigest attach rates and may still have the biggest audience considering the state of Disney Channel and Nick, and the unfortunate fact that the Hub while good quality-wise, doesn't have as big an audience.

• Thumbs Up 1