Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

So, can we expect a second trailer for this to come soon or around E3? 

I mean it'll be obvious Tails will be alright and all, but I'm curious as to how Knuckles and Amy will be introduced/featured and more of Eggman picking a fight with them with another robot. 

I wish it was gearing towards less comedy and more action, seeing as Sonic is an action hero and all. I'm not saying it'll suck, but I do think being focused here has alot to do with it. The whole talking animal thing is made for comedy seems normal here and they simply slapped sonic on top of it. Throwing away all the action and SiFi out the series. BUT it's not out yet so I'm only guessing looking at what is shown, who knows. It could be full of the stuff I like, but I'm not hyped about it. Wish there was more news about it tho. 

I wish it was gearing towards less comedy and more action, seeing as Sonic is an action hero and all. I'm not saying it'll suck, but I do think being focused here has alot to do with it. The whole talking animal thing is made for comedy seems normal here and they simply slapped sonic on top of it. Throwing away all the action and SiFi out the series. BUT it's not out yet so I'm only guessing looking at what is shown, who knows. It could be full of the stuff I like, but I'm not hyped about it. Wish there was more news about it tho. 

Well, I already started that I personally don't mind it having a larger focus on comedy, but I can see why some might rather see more action. Like you said, it's not out, and we really don't know much about it, so all we can really do is wait and see. I personally think the show might be a little like the Teen Titans cartoon, in that it will have some episodes with a greater focus on the comedy aspect (like the court episode), and others that are more action oriented (the alternate universe episode).

It seems that we're using "action" as a synonym for "continuing plot" here?  The show will be full of action, but whether it'll mean anything on an episode-to-episode basis is unclear.  I wonder if Sega mandated it as comedy-only to avoid potential conflicts with future Boom game plotlines.

Well, I already started that I personally don't mind it having a larger focus on comedy, but I can see why some might rather see more action. Like you said, it's not out, and we really don't know much about it, so all we can really do is wait and see. I personally think the show might be a little like the Teen Titans cartoon, in that it will have some episodes with a greater focus on the comedy aspect (like the court episode), and others that are more action oriented (the alternate universe episode).

Ooh, I like that. Teen Titans was really good from what I remember, and I loved the divided focus that varied with a continuity. I would really prefer that over the whole continuity confusion...

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems that we're using "action" as a synonym for "continuing plot" here?  The show will be full of action, but whether it'll mean anything on an episode-to-episode basis is unclear.  I wonder if Sega mandated it as comedy-only to avoid potential conflicts with future Boom game plotlines.

No we're not. The show also deals with plots like "Knuckles become mayor" and "Eggman sues Sonic". That's a skew towards comedy over action, even if it does play out in a way with a lot of action. I'd personally like more action focus that has comedy value of its own, and for it all to be contained within an overarching plot.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'll concede that I might have misread some of the previous posts, but I see now that I did so because I never even considered the possibility of a lack of action in the show. Literally the first and only piece of footage we've seen from the show was almost entirely action-based, with only one interval dominated by the characters standing around talking (I just reviewed the clip, and maybe a fifth of the clip is dialogue-only, with the remaining four-fifths all action-based).  In the light of that, I don't see any cause to worry that there'll be too little action in the series, regardless of certain broad plot ideas which we know nothing about.  To submit some pure speculation of my own, those two sound like extreme examples, which is probably exactly why they were mentioned in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm thinking that by 'universe resets' it'll be something like The Simpsons. There's a small bit of continuity but not a lot.

Yeah, I'm hopeful the "universe resets" thing isn't literal and was another case, like the Emeralds, of the word choice not being the best. It would be very much in line with many other cartoons for there to be minimal continuity between episodes, but some things will stay constant; a character can appear in Episode 2 and come back Episode 20, and they'll be remembered.

So, can we expect a second trailer for this to come soon or around E3?

They have stated we'd get more news at E3.

Naturally I'm hoping we'd get something in May, but I wouldn't doubt it if we're left hanging on the edge of our seats until early June.

My first stop once I'm inside E3 is the SEGA booth, so I'll be sure to let everyone know what I find... assuming our resident Jason Berry doesn't beat me to it, at least!

I can't speak for everyone else, but when I think action I think stuff like Sonic unleashes opening. The little chase with Sonic and Eggman in the trailer of boom doesn't or isn't enough. - I know it's just a trailer so it's too short anyway- for me. A perfect example is how Sonic defeated the robot in the trailer, vs how Sonic defeated the robots in Sonic Unleashed opening. THAT's what I mean. Sonic's powerful and not using lame moves to stop something he can in his sleep. He's not seen as weak and needs comedy to hide it. I'm wording it wrong I know. But with only 11 minutes and no larger plots... I don't see sonic leaving the - funny main lead - in boom anytime soon. 

Tho again.... this is all based on one trailer and alot of words from important people at sega. So who knows HOW it'll look or play out. I DO have a question tho. IS it just me or does sonic boom seem weaker than Sega Sonic? Like why does the comics and now boom think that in order to make the friends important sonic has to be nerfed to holy hell? I know they wanted to show the team work thing in the trailer, but really? He couldn't spindash/boost/hooming/ ANYTHING else that bot? I'm not even complaining about it.. just wondering. Is japanese sonic overpowered in western companies eyes? 

This being a CGI cartoon and all, and quite a nice looking one in my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if an action scene like the one at the opening of Unleashed would be super expensive to make. We might see something like that for the season finale or something, but for regular episodes, I think we'll see more battles like the one with the burn-bot.

Me, I'm happy with the way things are looking. I love the opening of Unleashed, it's one of the most beautiful action scenes I've ever seen in Sonic, games or not. However, if we don't get anything like that for a while, I won't be too upset, since I like the way the burn-bot battle looked anyway. I imagine we'll see some pretty sweet action scenes once the other characters get in on the action.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked both scenes, Though I... *think* the Boom clip was less extraordinary because of budget, so we saw just one robot instead of a great army, not many effects nor a super cool fight. I may have said a bullshit, not sure, I'm not really into CGI cartoons, the scene was mostly an elementary introduction to the Sonic/Eggman conflict anyway; we just saw a tease of Tails and I'm guessing the rest of the pilot introduces the audience to Knuckles and Amy with no particular story.

Both the Boom clip and the Unleashed opening were about establishing Sonic and Eggman as credible threats to each other.  The Unleashed opening was a one-off epic showing Sonic at the height of his powers, as if to raise the question "Just how can Eggman possibly stop Our Hero?" and then Eggman does and we remember why Eggman's the villain of the series.  The Boom clip is a less extraordinary situation; it's an everyday event for Sonic and Eggman, and we see them being evenly matched without Sonic destroying thousands of robots and spaceships and Eggman counterattacking by blowing up the planet.  I think the Unleashed opening is fantastic, but it would lose some of its impact if you watched it every week.  Save that sort of action for very special events.

It would also run the budget so dry you'd think the Sahara desert was an ocean. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't have to be big all the time. I know the difference, but I mentioned them side by side cause of how Sonic's shown. It might just be me as I'm sick to DEATH of the teamwork thing cartoons are jamming down our mouths. It just feels like boom sonic is extremely nerfed compared to normal sonic. I know it's different and all, but I can't shake the nerfed feeling. Sonic doesn't NEED his friends, but in boom I feel like it's a NEED instead of want. 

Its not like Sonic "needed" Tails in the short preview either...because Sonic ended up just destroying the robot by himself anyway after Tails was shot down. Its not even the team work aspect alone, its "...how can they make Sonic's friends useful..." The only Friend Sonic ever consistantly "needs" no matter what is Tails due to some certain things, other than that why do any of his friends have to be there if he doesn't really need any of them?

Sure they can handle "Themselves" but how are they useful to Sonic as his Team-mates when it comes to Fighting together?

• Thumbs Up 6

Its not like Sonic "needed" Tails in the short preview either...because Sonic ended up just destroying the robot by himself anyway after Tails was shot down. Its not even the team work aspect alone, its "...how can they make Sonic's friends useful..." The only Friend Sonic ever consistantly "needs" no matter what is Tails due to some certain things, other than that why do any of his friends have to be there if he doesn't really need any of them?

Sure they can handle "Themselves" but how are they useful to Sonic as his Team-mates when it comes to Fighting together?

True, I think I'm just spoiled by unleashed and Sonic X. I'm a sucker for the Sonic against the millions of robots and blowing them all up looking kool. 

Spoiled by Sonic X??? Huh, first time for everything.

• Thumbs Up 2

This was the kind of thing that really urks me, even in the recent Sonic games. "Teamwork? What's that?" Tails was ALWAYS there for Sonic, but the problem was that he was just "there" sitting/standing around not doing anything useful, like helping Sonic fight a group of Eggman's robots, for most of the time. I know Tails CAN fight too, but he's being useful only when the writing demands it. Same could be said for the others by making them, who are just as useful and strong as Sonic is, look pathetic or useless whenever Sonic's around doing the fighting. This was just a short preview clip, but still... I hope that Sonic Boom manages to circumvent that whole issue.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiled by Sonic X??? Huh, first time for everything.

The first episode. Any other news on Boom tho? I can't find anything.

Apparently nothing doing 'till around E3.

Although it seems unconfirmed, if the game is the prequel to the TV series, does that mean there will be a continuity after all, or will it just be the cast in that universe?

I hope for the latter, though we've gone over that. Just wanted to put this out there.

I think it was clarified that although the game is technically set before the events of the TV show, ultimately it's placement in the timeline doesn't really make much of a difference. The stories are separate. If you only play the game and don't then watch the show, only watch the show without playing the game or see them both out of order, it won't leave you with unanswered questions. They exist within the same universe, but are fairly self-contained.

• Thumbs Up 1

Should've put my reply in the other topic here, really, but I didn't know the topic was covered here as well.  But essentially, since the cartoon doesn't care so much about a continuing plot and just wants to have access to as much canonical material as possible for the purposes of jokes, it makes sense for the cartoon to come second, after the canonical material has been established by the games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe there will be a greater sense of continuity if Sonic Boom is renewed for a second season. I'm pretty sure something like that happened with Adventure Time, which I remember being real episodic early on.

I mean, okay, I know it's been stated that each episode of Boom will be completely separate from the others, but it seems like it'd be real difficult to keep continuity from creeping into an action-adventure cartoon. I don't expect to see any big time Cerebus Syndrome or anything (nor do I want to), but, if nothing else, in season two I expect to see real character development and references to previous episodes, if not full-blown story arcs. I'll enjoy it no less if this isn't what happens, since we can expect great stories from any future Boom games (at least if story is as "key" in the game as we're being told it is), but I will be supremely surprised if we don't start seeing any continuity in the cartoon post-season one, and maybe a tad disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 2