Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

It seems... okay.  I wouldn't call it anything above competent.  It could be better shot too tbh.  Something about the slapstick gag of Tails revealing the broken control handle didn't quite have punch to it, and the slow-mo bit was a bit too dramatic for such an unexciting and not especially clever way of beating the badnik with that kick thinger.  After all that effort put in (as if he couldn't beat it any other way) was undermined by the convenient boulder solution/gag.

We'll see how things go.

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay...I'm with the majority that I kinda like the looks of this. I didn't even notice the blue arms because it worked well with his pallet (plus him having furless arms was always a little strange to me).

Eggman looks so...thin. Looking good, Eggman.

Also Mike Pollock still loves the role.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. I mean... WOW.

It's just the trailer and we already have a dramatic cliffhanger. Now I have to wait all the year to know if Tails survived sad.png

Also, this is the nth time a plane crashes.

TAILS, YOU HAVE ONE JOB!

The animation... it's gorgeous to my eyes, really.

Especially, holy cow Sonic's mouth switches sides by itself, now I saw everything blink.png

A couple of the shots look pretty bad, but mostly it's decent as TV animation goes. I do like the facial expressions a lot, though; this is the first time I've ever really found Sonic cute.

This looks like it might be the very first scene of the first episode or something, so there's not much to say about the writing. It's all very functional introduce-the-character-concepts-and-abilities stuff. Not bad, but not really substantive either.

What I'm most curious about is the episode premises that were mentioned, Knuckles becoming mayor and Eggman suing Sonic. Both of those suggest, y'know, some kind of civilization, but neither the game nor the cartoon have really demonstrated anything like that yet. Will it be humans? Animal-people? Will any of them be other redesigned main-series characters? Hrm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked the part where Tails came in and told Sonic that the robot that was chasing him was "on the move."

• Thumbs Up 1

What I'm most curious about is the episode premises that were mentioned, Knuckles becoming mayor and Eggman suing Sonic.

...What?

No seriously, I know it's suppose to be comedic, but WHAT?

Luckily this verse can get away with it since it's separate with it's own background from the original verse. And if there's a civilization, I want it mixed with humans and anthros!

Speaking of blue arms, how come in Sonic Underground Sonic's arms keeps changing from tan to blue?

Same reason Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker kept changing colours in the G1 Transformers cartoon: very piss poor animation quality control (albeit not as bad as G1).

The animation seemed fine to me until the part where Sonic knocks that boulder down and sorta floats away.

Movement closer to the homing attack from the games would've probably looked better there.

The writing seems a bit off too, like how someone said Tails told him the robot is on the move when Sonic could see it clear as day, the staging just seems awkward. Were they trying to make a joke?

Wow. I mean... WOW.

It's just the trailer and we already have a dramatic cliffhanger. Now I have to wait all the year to know if Tails survived sad.png

Also, this is the nth time a plane crashes.

TAILS, YOU HAVE ONE JOB!

The animation... it's gorgeous to my eyes, really.

Especially, holy cow Sonic's mouth switches sides by itself, now I saw everything blink.png

I'm pretty sure Tails is going to survive, the question is whatever he is going to either come out completely unscathed or totally hurt from that crash.

Once again, the amount of people actually complaining about the blue arms seems very slim from what I see.  Most of the people bringing it up have listed it as a mild, but nevertheless benign, nitpick.

Portrayals actually seem pretty OK for now and the humour doesn't seem too childish, I like how when Eggman introduces his robot Sonic motormouths and think it's funny, and when Tails' plane brakes he stares at the screen with a look of "I regret everything."

I am somewhat bothered by the designs and the animation, hopefully the animation is due to it being a work in progress, though I can't imagine the designs being changed at this point.

The slow-mo effect was crap though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta say, not bad, not bad at all.

You know, it almost seems like the characters are just older, a timeskip of sorts. A little hit and miss here and thir but still it it nearly as bad as I thought they'd look.

What a day this has been. Really, the cartoon is looking great. That opening was sort of what Colours would have been if Eggman was leaing Sonic to his amusement park and then revealed the ride was actually a robot. But with less cliche writing, and toned down comedy. I'm pretty sure, hate to say it as I do, whoever is handling this knows how to handle the Sonic universe better than Sonic Team themselves.

One thing I do have to say though is, why does this seem as though it's set in the future.

I'm liking this so far. Then again, I wasn't exactly against it in the first place, buuuuut if there is one complaint I have... it's Eggman. Dunno why, but he looks like he's built like the Heavy from TF2 or something.

I really love this conecpt art.  Very Disney-esque.  It almost makes me wish they had just done this in 2-D.  But I'm not opposed to CGI either. XD

22c73a0b-a382-4bba-88f5-12d873102760-620

Another sketch from the game, showing the influence of the Sonic Adventure series in terms of scale.

Okay seriously, does Sega stalk SSMB for advice or something?

• Thumbs Up 8

22c73a0b-a382-4bba-88f5-12d873102760-620

Okay seriously, does Sega stalk SSMB for advice or something?

If they did, they would have made Knuckles better since 2006 and made the rest of the characters useful in the games.

In short, they would have done this a long time ago if they were...:P

Guys guys guys

What if this show being on Cartoon Network, one of the biggest tv channels, ends up giving Sonic the mainstream popularity it had back in the 90s and early 2000s (or at least close to that popularity status)? Sonic discussions at schools, promotional toys in kids' meals, food promotions, etc...... That would make me very happy.

Ooooh, I like the concept art. Very nice. Still feel the "athletic tape" is pretty unnecessary, but these show that a good deal of thought went into the redesigns.

Guys guys guys

What if this show being on Cartoon Network, one of the biggest tv channels, ends up giving Sonic the mainstream popularity it had back in the 90s and early 2000s (or at least close to that popularity status)? Sonic discussions at schools, promotional toys in kids' meals, food promotions, etc...... That would make me very happy.

If that happens, then Sonic would get his groove back. That's what.

• Thumbs Up 1

Makes me hope that kind of inspiration from SA is stemming into SoJ's territory as well.. It seems to be doing this show/game wonders even if I'm not too crazy for the new character designs.

Really neat stuff all around! I was originally really bitter about this existing but now that I know it's far seperate from the games I'm actually happy this is a thing. It allows for one side of the franchise to cater to the kids while the other caters more to the long-time fans and gamer audience. And that's plain dandy to me. =J

- one episode of the show has Sonic firing Tails from his sidekick position

- Eggman applies for the position

- Eggman tries to get into Modern Lair Magazine and, after losing again to Sonic, he fakes an injury and takes Sonic to court

The court plot line sounds like it came from Rocko's modern Life.
  • Thumbs Up 2