Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

There's a lot of Sonic fans here including myself who are sick and tired of Solo Sonic and Tails! That's why we're looking forward to Sonic Boom, because it's the original gang, together at last!

You know, I think it's thanks to people like Bluecore that SEGA has only been doing Solo Sonic since 2007. It's been seven years, enough is enough!

I'm worried that SEGA is still going to go the Solo Sonic and Tails direction even if Boom turns out to be popular and liked. Judging from most of the people who really detest characters and acts like characters are completely forbidden in the Sonic franchise even outside of the main SEGASonic canon.

Well of course SEGA will. If Boom succeeds and gets more games, it won't.

....Am I the only one who didn't like SatAM? I don't know why, it just didn't feel all that good to me. In fact, there weren't really any Sonic TV show that I liked apart from some episodes of Sonic X and AOSTH. Though from what I saw in the trailer, Boom does seem a lot better.

....Am I the only one who didn't like SatAM? I don't know why, it just didn't feel all that good to me. In fact, there weren't really any Sonic TV show that I liked apart from some episodes of Sonic X and AOSTH. Though from what I saw in the trailer, Boom does seem a lot better.

The thing is, for a lot of people SatAM is extremely nostalgic so as such they like it a lot more than people who didn't grow up with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked Sonic SatAM for what it was, but yeah, I don't want another Sonic cartoon like it. Rewatching it, it barely feels like a Sonic cartoon, and I have many other little problems with it, like Sonic's voice, the lack of focus on anyone besides Sonic and Sally (who also managed to upstage Sonic himself) and, of course, the grimdark tone. Yes, it had its moments of whimsy and lightheartedness, but those usually turned out to be rather cringe-worthy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yup, you're the only one in the whole entire world.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup, you're the only one in the whole entire world.

You know that's not what he meant.

Considering I've been watching the Sonic cartoons for a while now, the only one I really liked was Adventures, and even then that wasn't as much as some other series. But I'd have to say SatAM is the worst. I watched half of the first season before giving up. I managed to get through the entire of Adventures. But even so, I'm guessing this will be one I'll be watching.

[in case anyone's wondering, after giving up on SatAM, I moved to watching the entire of Pokemon. Once I'm finished with that, I'll be giving SatAM another go. I've been meaning to watch the entire Sonic TV Series for about two years.]

Rewatching it, it barely feels like a Sonic cartoon

Thing you have to remember, it was made in the 90s. Sonic was extremely interpretable back then, then again, so were most games. One side saw Sonic as really whacky slapstick humor, the other saw it as a fairly action packed, somewhat dark atmosphere.

It's easy to see what people could get from those games, while on one side, you had colorful animals and what seems happy go lucky, but then things start getting a bit weird down the line. You get CD, later on, and it certainly feels somewhat Satamish in the bad futures.

Of course, the games later on, going into the late 90s, showed it more as a actiony, mystical yet science-fiction vibe. Then later on stuff with aliens and whatnot.

But point is, 90s was really interpretable.

Thing you have to remember, it was made in the 90s. Sonic was extremely interpretable back then, then again, so were most games. One side saw Sonic as really whacky slapstick humor, the other saw it as a fairly action packed, somewhat dark atmosphere.

It's easy to see what people could get from those games, while on one side, you had colorful animals and what seems happy go lucky, but then things start getting a bit weird down the line. You get CD, later on, and it certainly feels somewhat Satamish in the bad futures.

Of course, the games later on, going into the late 90s, showed it more as a actiony, mystical yet science-fiction vibe. Then later on stuff with aliens and whatnot.

I'm aware of that, but it does not fit my idea of a Sonic cartoon now. I give it a free pass because it was made in the '90s. If it was made now...

I'm aware of that, but it does not fit my idea of a Sonic cartoon now. I give it a free pass because it was made in the '90s. If it was made now...

Just people tend to forget that times change and somehow they expect cartoons of old to change with it, it's weird. I just chalk it up to what I'll chalk Sonic Boom, Archie, StC, AoStH, Underground, and what all else, "Own universe, doesn't matter what I see from the game."

Hell, games themselves are inconsistent too.

You know, back in february I was very angry about what was released and I am still not sitting right about all this. Then I thought, what if I actually gave the TV Show a chance. So I went ahead and rewatched the reveal again, and even though the jokes are still cringely bad. With an open mind, the show isn't as bad as when I first saw it. Now I'm not saying that I could watch a whole twenty-two minutes of this show, but it's alright. However there are still a lot of people, including me, who would be much happier with a show that was mostly about Sonic and wasn't CGI. We all know that Sega doesn't have the resources and the budget to keep two continues, so down the road if there is not a compromise, one side will fall. I would be willing to compromise if Sonic's Crew where the main focus in most episodes, the characters went back to looking like they did in Sonic OVA, the voice actors from Sonic X came back, and they tried harder on the script. Everything else can be changed as you like. Is that too much to ask for?

I would be willing to compromise if they'd change the backstory, character design, voice actors, and scriptwriters - but other than that I'm totally flexible.  What could be more reasonable?

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, Solo Sonic era had the same cringe-worthy jokes you're complaining about, isn't that what you support, though?

• Thumbs Up 5

Bluecore, Sonic Boom is a whole new franchise that has been in development for several years. Whining about it on the internet isn't going to magically change the cartoon into SatAM Season 3 or whatever the hell it is you're wanting, nor will the game suddenly become another Solo Sonic title. I mean, I can understand criticizing certain aspects of it, but you just seem upset over everything about it. Instead of complaining, why don't you just accept that Sonic Boom is not for you and watch/play what you do like?

• Thumbs Up 9

Sonic was very interpretable but their interpretation was strange and they seem to have completely failed to pick up on the series' visual language.  All their original characters didn't blend with any of the Sega characters and anything associate with Robotnik was too dirty and harsh in design.  

And what's all this about Sonic eating rings?

And what's all this about Sonic eating rings?

A preview of Rise of Lyric had Sonic saying, "Rings! Omnomnom..." and the rest is history.

I wonder with the trailers being released today for the Wii U and 3DS, will they be tempting us with another teaser from the TV series as well

How did this get leaked?

It's not leaked. It's from SEGA's own YouTube and Facebook pages.

Also new character:

14206510458_3d6cbaaa1a_o.png