Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Dude, that concept art, it's what I always invision the Sonic world to actually look like with some of that landscape.

Seems like the definately got some inspiration from SatAM and the comics in some of this art, especially with the expressions, cause the games nor Sonic X never got so much emotion on characters reactions, that was always something that Tracy Yardley and Ben Bates did very well in.

Eggman doesn't look bad, through the "Egg" part in Eggman seems to have been lost through as he isn't shaped like a egg no more.

Lol; I just noticed this:

w8bd.jpg

And you thought OVA Sonic was bad! (Although this probably isn't all that offensive in the US)

It might be cultural thing... is this the equivalent of the middle finger over here? (I've seen it before on British comedies, I just never understood it)

And I'm really loving the look of the concept art. Honestly, I think just knowing that "Sonic Boom" is its own thing and the fact that the teaser for the show was actually good, despite how I feel about the character designs, really turned me around and has me more interested in seeing how this part of the franchise turns out. Hopefully CN doesn't screw Sonic over with bad timeslots, last minute scheduling changes to shoehorn LEGO cartoons, and no exposure (all of which killed the Thundercats reboot, Generator Rex and Young Justice).

- Eggman tries to get into Modern Lair Magazine and, after losing again to Sonic, he fakes an injury and takes Sonic to court

http://youtu.be/2rzT03rc-eU

You were saying Mr. Hedgehog?

• Thumbs Up 1

With the game, merchandise and the TV series which will have at least 50 episodes? Boom could end up having an incredibly positive effect on the franchise for years to come. If the TV series turns out to be as good as it looks, then we can expect re-runs, and hopefully a dvd release. I'm sure the merchandise could sell well for years, and if the game turns out to be decent then we could end up getting a sequel.

I'm really impressed with SEGA. They've taken some bold steps, but I think this is in a good direction. The Sonic franchise is no where near dead.

w8bd.jpg

Looks like Eggman is doing the same pose in Azookara's avatar. Giving it the two fingers tongue.png

photo-385.png?_r=1390915422

• Thumbs Up 1

Well now this show has my interest, especially now that I know that it won't affect the games in any way. Now I'm actually going to tune into Cartoon Network for the first time in forever.

"It's a Cartoon Network series, so it has to work for kids, but the goal is to make a smart, funny comedy that will play on two levels," says Sonic Boom executive producer and showrunner Evan Baily. "We never write down to the audience and we tell stories that are really complex for kids TV. The goal has been from the beginning to make something that fans will love and kids will love."

Better writing than Colors--Lost World confirmed?

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't believe I'm saying this: I love that statement and the person who said that, I'm really interested now. Especially for the fact they even acknowledged the fans.

I think that statement is way too broad to make that conclusion just yet.

What about the court episode? Doesn't seem too kiddy.

Any statement is too broad to make that conclusion.  Of course the producers are going to say good things about the show. :\

• Thumbs Up 4

Well of course not, ya goofies. tongue.png A good producer points out a show's strong points.

The fact that he pointed out writing that "never writes down to an audience" as a strong point in particular has me excited. The clip definitely left a good vibe with me in that respect.

Well of course not, ya goofies. tongue.png A good producer points out a show's strong points.

And if he considers the "smart" writing of the show to be a strong point in particular, then I'm definitely excited.

The thing is that what he considers "smart" might not be what everyone considers it. XD

Did some of you seriously expect Sonic Unleashed FMV quality animation? I personally think it looks decent and colourful. Much, much nicer looking and better animated than another tv show based on a video game, Viva Piñata.

Sure it looks off at some points like when Sonic is running n stuff but really it's damn good for tv budget and very expressive. A big improvement over Sonic X which was lifeless and bland.

The whole scene however...well, looks and sounds like a typical kids tv cartoon. Eh, I'll wait and see when it airs. It might be good.

Btw I'm loving the concept art, especially for the characters! I really want to see the one for Knuckles!

One of the things to expect from any TV CGI show is limited scenery; or cramped scenery. The animation definitely looks like a step up from most CGI shows, but there's gonna be a sacrifice there somewhere, and I feel it's either going to be in the number of characters who will appear in this first season or the scenery.

I'm sure there's gonna be a central hub to this show that they can reuse again and again, so expect that for sure. I wonder what importance the rocky area will play to the show.

One things that this limit brings is that environments are usually more fleshed out detail wise.

As for the addition of the scarf, even though I don't mind it as much as the unnecessary sport tape, it can be a bit of a speed hazard/hindrance if it gets caught or snagged by something like a branch when Sonic is running and jumping at high speeds. It'll be like he's wearing a noose in those regards. 

Anyways what I'm hoping that the show doesn't become more Robot/Monster of the Week formulaic like how Sonic X was most of the time and that it'll be more like Adventure Time in terms of world building/exploration and developing character and character relations along with some Slice of Life episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why does Eggman have an Omnitrix on his right arm? Guess that explains why it's being shown on Cartoon Network.

Btw, any mention of a UK release?

As for the addition of the scarf, even though I don't mind it as much as the unnecessary sport straps, it can be a bit of a speed hazard/hindrance if it gets caught when Sonic is running at high speeds. It'll be like he's wearing a noose in those regards.

You're aware that Sonic is fictional, right. Nothing's going to get caught on anything unless they write it to happen.
  • Thumbs Up 2

As for the addition of the scarf, even though I don't mind it as much as the unnecessary sport straps, it can be a bit of a speed hazard/hindrance if it gets caught when Sonic is running at high speeds. It'll be like he's wearing a noose in those regards. 

Anyways what I'm hoping that the show doesn't become more Robot/Monster of the Week formulaic and that it'll be more like Adventure Time in terms of world building/exploration and developing character and character relations along with some Slice of Life episodes.

Robot/Monster of the week is not something done super often in CGI because of the budgeting cost that would go into those models. It looks more like the way this is going, it's going to be fairly limited in where it goes, and will focus more on the nearby area of Sonic's local. From what we saw of some concept art for the show, that will involve ancient ruins, a beachside, and a rocky terrain so far.

I expect most of Sonic's familiars to show up early in the series, but not all of Sonic's friends will make an appearance in this first season. Outside our main five, I expect Shadow, Rouge, Orbot and Cubot, and the Chaotix to be the most when it comes to this first season budget.

Again; it's important not to judge the first season of a CGI show especially hard because of the budget constraints, but if this blows up expect the world to expand.

Ya know what, I actually might just give this a shot.

Yeah, I really don't like any of the redesigns, but the animation here is nicely sharp and Sonic doesn't look too bad in action. The witty writing between Sonic and Eggman was nice, and Mike Pollock's delivery legitimately made me laugh out loud. 

I have no interest in its game counterpart, but this trailer left a surprisingly good impression on me. I'll go in with a cautious, yet optimistic mindset. I just hope the designs will take time to grow on me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, you can't talk shit about a product you're making, and rightfully so.

unless you're an overly self-critiquing artist like some of us *cough*

Like the tie-in game, I'm optimistic. The new designs don't look too bad (aside from bandage/wraps overkill.) Going by the trailer, the animation looks nice and the writing, though somewhat lacking, is passable. I'll keep an lookout on the development for this show.

Also, here's something interesting:

That said, Baily does point to Adult Swim's Regular Show as an inspiration for Sonic Boom

I think we got us a prank call victim. :U

Mordecai-and-Rigby-laughing-their-heads-

In all serious of that quote though, does that mean we'll get Regular Show-esque writing/humor/radar-dodging jokes on a Sonic show?

Hmhmhm.gif