Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

The scene I'm talking about is Sonic requesting weaponry for something and Eggman replies, "Sure! All you had to do is ask."

I thought Eggman is sarcastic...

But we also kind of play around with these relationships between Dr. Eggman and Sonic and Amy and Knuckles and all that.

It kinda worries me that Roger forgot to mention Tails.

Well, we already have a pretty good idea how Sonic and Tails relationship are. I wanna see how Sonic will build relationships with other characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

What would actually make me love it if Eggman's the biggest reason that Lyric fails. Like, after they have their villainy disagreements, he decides to turn on Lyric and equips Sonic with the necessary needs to defeat Lyric, probably the time traveling stuff. Bonus points if he's part of the final boss battle, cheap-shotting Lyric to give Sonic an opening for attack.

After being betrayed by MotW over and over again, it'd just be icing on the cake for him to be the backstabber.

I mean, without something like this, I really can't understand why Eggman would even be part of it at all other than, you know, brand recognition.

Because we need a villain for the TV series, and Eggman is our man. 

As for Eggman betraying Lyric; I'm cool with that, but I'd rather he and Sonic didn't straight up work together to take Lyric down. Eggman should remain threatening to the end, even if he isn't the final boss (sort of like in Unleashed).

That said, I'm cool with him and Sonic being friendly-enemies for the cartoon.

That's silly! I like it. I wonder if they'll have to team up again to defeat Lyric? It really doesn't seem that him and Eggman are going to be working together.

This makes me curious about in the trailer though, where you can see Eggman and the team standing on a mountain together. They look like they're just discussing something.

Funny enough, I can't help but wonder if maybe in-story, the reason for an easier boss fight might be Eggman staging them to assist in bamboozling Lyric.

It kinda worries me that Roger forgot to mention Tails.

To be fair, the relationship between Sonic and Tails had nigh always been a given so he probably didn't think to mention such.

Because we need a villain for the TV series, and Eggman is our man. 

Still, him just being there because he has to just makes him really feel shoved in. It should be up to the writers to make him feel like he's actually part of all this. Otherwise, it's more about the four heroes and Lyric, also guess starring Eggman.

If he's going to be in there, he should actually feel essential and have his own little story, of sorts. If not, he's like the Blaze (06) of this game.

As for Eggman betraying Lyric; I'm cool with that, but I'd rather he and Sonic didn't straight up work together to take Lyric down.

It's not like he wouldn't be doing it for his own selfish agenda. More than likely, while Sonic's doing whatever shit he's doing, Eggman will be turning Lyric's army over to him and seizing power.

Yeah, just based on a few backstage voices, their relationship seems less like war and more like a rivalry, as if they actually like each other, but engage in violent "playing" of sorts. Yes, Eggman will try to destroy them, but they're not really hating of each other.

I hope not. That's pretty much the reason I can't take Eggman seriously in the main series. If he's going to be the primary villain, he should at least act like one.

I hope not. That's pretty much the reason I can't take Eggman seriously in the main series. If he's going to be the primary villain, he should at least act like one.

My main problem with the games is less that than the way they try to make him look unthreatening at every turn.

However, being a comedy driven series, I don't think you can put a lot of faith in him being a threatening villain.

Eggman isn't a threatening villain.

The only way for him to seem remotely threatening is if he gets the drop on someone or uses a powerful item to back up his words. Both of these things any villain can do, from Dr. Wily to the Ice King. He has no fighting abilities, his intellectual prowess is only used on his machines and scientific endevors, and is content with a cheap army that can be destroyed in seconds. He's just the recurring arch-enemy antagonist that Sonic keeps happening across; nothing more, nothing less. The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be.

Though now that I think about it, this version of Eggman acts a lot more like the Ice King than the others have. I bet that will be his relationship with Sonic throughout the entire cartoon, probably.

Not in the way SEGA, no.

There's more to a villain than simply fighting powers, and even then, he has shown that he has them before.

The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be.

Quit trying to change my mind about my favorite character, it's extremely rude.

• Thumbs Up 2

Though now that I think about it, this version of Eggman acts a lot more like the Ice King than the others have. I bet that will be his relationship with Sonic throughout the entire cartoon, probably.

Egh, I don't think I want Eggman acting like the Ice King. It's just seems so... unfitting.

Eggman stopped being threatening after Sonic Adventure 2, and Mike Pollock's voice isn't very suited to making him threatening. A lot of Eggman's threat in the old games was due to his ignorance with whatever power he wielded, like how in Sonic CD his future involves him unintentionally ruining his own army of machines with his pollution and lack of care. I guess in Sonic Adventure 2, he showed his ruthlessness with the Arc, but considering how shocked he was that his grandfather was intending to destroy the world I think he was bluffing about blowing the planet up. 

There's also the whole blowing up Prison Island thing. He can be very ruthless.

There's also the whole blowing up Prison Island thing. He can be very ruthless.

From what I could tell there were only robots there; and whatever humans there were escaped. 

From what I could tell there were only robots there; and whatever humans there were escaped. 

It's really hard to believe that.

Besides, Flying Dog was there. Rouge beat him him a few minutes before evacuating by Shadow.

If you're going to tell me that Flying Dog, and all the other humans knew that a bomb was gonna go off on that island (even though they didn't ) and evacuated into safety, then I'm going to have a really hard time believing it. Especially since Rouge is a whole lot faster than any human would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

The citizens of Station Square, Shamar, Mazuri, Planet Wisp, Spagonia, etc, and Soleanna say otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really hard to believe that.

Besides, Flying Dog was there. Rouge beat him him a few minutes before evacuating by Shadow.

If you're going to tell me that Flying Dog, and all the other humans knew that a bomb was gonna go off on that island (even though they didn't ) and evacuated into safety, then I'm going to have a really hard time believing it. Especially since Rouge is a whole lot faster than any human would be.

Good point. 

The citizens of Station Square say otherwise.

He's so threatening that he doesn't realize his missiles are duds.

You notice that over the NPCs who speak in fear of him? Not to mention the dread that the Egg Carrier's presence has produced.

Not mention that stand-off with Tails.

Sounds like he's got something a reputation there.

Still, even with that, it made people's heart stop. They were really fortunate it was a dud.  This is one guy, one single man with his own private army that he built himself. And even if it was a dud, he still had the ability to create a nuke and nearly destroyed them?

How would you feel if you saw a missile fly over head and landed in the city? How defenseless you were? Sure, didn't blow up, but imagine yourself in that situation. It could have blown up. Could. And what could you have done? Nothing. It's really something else.

People were scared, absolutely terrified.

Walking around with Gamma, some say, "Whatever happens happens." They hit the final stages of DABDA already.

You notice that over the NPCs who speak in fear of him? Not to mention the dread that the Egg Carrier's presence has produced.

Not mention that stand-off with Tails.

Sounds like he's got something a reputation there.

What he is suddenly a threatening villain because the writers put in people who are scared of him? Thats bullshit.

What the people around him react mean nothing. Yes the writers can put spongebob into a scene and have everyone run away terrified. 

The question is do I the viewer think they should be running. Do I think he scary or are the writers just trying to force him into the roles of a villain.

Also we arent talking about sonic adventure. The eggman in that game is a totally different guy from the one in recent games.

Yes eggman can be written as a threatening villain as could anyone else. But they arent doing it.

Eggman's threat level tends to vary, mainly on which continuity he's in. For the most part, his level of menace is heavily reliant on his resources.

In terms of personality, he's a man-child, completely. You can only take that type of character seriously in this type of series so long before you lose what makes him Eggman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of personality, he's a man-child, completely. You can only take that type of character seriously in this type of series so long before you lose what makes him Eggman.

Thing is, that's what I believe can make him more dangerous. Being a man-child, he can "play" with people and their lives without too much remorse.

You don't have to have him get beat up all the time for a humorous aspect to play, you can get a lot of humor from how detached he can be from his actions. For instance, he can blow up a building and want to install a pool there. Or he could take prisoners and then watch a movie with them later while they're all looking at him with nervousness, but he has a big bowl of popcorn and a large drink.

Not everything he has to do is absolutely horrible, some can be just zany. But he has to be able he can do something. Otherwise, what's the point of him even being the franchise's antagonist?

• Thumbs Up 1

Cuz there'd be no plot otherwise :V

I get what you're saying, but all of what you said seems to lean more towards "black comedy", something which Boom doesn't seem to focus on. It just looks like a standard lighthearted series, so naturally Eggman can't be too much of a threat without the tone changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in the way SEGA, no.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about. You're taking his Archie representation and his few moments in the adventure games and holding them as your standards, and as a result are constantly disappointed by his characterization in the games, even though the vast majority of the games, even around SA/2's period, have portrayed Eggman as someone far less imposing. It's something that is a rarity, and really shouldn't be expected from in every game.

Quit trying to change my mind about my favorite character, it's extremely rude.

Dude, Archie Eggman is my favorite character. I'm not telling you to change your mind about anything regarding that rendition. I'm just saying that your expectations for SEGA Eggman always lead to disappointment, and really should be lowered.

you said seems to lean more towards "black comedy", something which Boom doesn't seem to focus on.

Well, yes. I already knew Boom would not focus in this direction. However, the discussion evolved into Eggman overall, not Eggman in Boom.

I expect this to be a more friendly rivalry.

I'm fine with Eggman in Boom since it's its own little universe, same as that awful AoStH cartoon. Sadly, I can't go anywhere without seeing an pingas joke when showcasing anything Eggman-related.

You're taking his Archie representation and his few moments in the adventure games and holding them as your standards,

Should I not?

People can be disappointed when gameplay is not as good as the last. I can be be disappointed if a character gets treated worse with each passing game.

After all, it's a product. If I'm not satisfied, I have a right to state so.

Dude, Archie Eggman is my favorite character. I'm not telling you to change your mind about anything regarding that rendition. I'm just saying that your expectations for SEGA Eggman always lead to disappointment, and really should be lowered.

Lowering expectations give companies an excuse to pump out awful material.