Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Wrap me up in bandages if old.

Marchello Churchill, senior director of marketing Sega of America, says Sonic Boom will be "vastly different form any Sonic series we've done in the past." Executive producer Evan Bailey said the animated series will "put [sonic the Hedgehog characters] in situations where their personalities and relationships will take center stage." For example, in one episode, Sonic will fire Tails as his assistant, with the hedgehog's longtime nemesis, Dr. Eggman, applying for the job. In another, Eggman fakes an injury and takes Sonic the Hedgehog to court.

Not sure if I like the sound of these?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/6/5387144/sonic-boom-animated-tv-series-toy-line-sega

The problem with those synopsis is that we don't have enough information to judge them, although their concepts alone sound stupid.  Going by the trailer for the TV series, I want to believe that all those comedic plots are buildups to different plots that Eggman does behind closed doors.  Like, perhaps he's feigning his injury for one reason, so he can use it to his advantage to pull off something terribly evil.  Only time will tell I guess.

Wrap me up in bandages if old.

Not sure if I like the sound of these?

As bad as that may sound, a part of me really, really wants to see how they can pull it off.

Really enjoyed the preview. This seems like exactly the Sonic cartoon that I've been wanting for years. It takes place in a universe a lot more similar to the games, it doesn't rely on any original characters to take the spotlight from the main cast, and it doesn't take itself too seriously, but still has an appropriate emphasis on action. Also not really bothered by the designs, as they look pretty much the same to me barring an extra design element here and a proportion change there. Definitely looking forward to seeing more!

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with those synopsis is that we don't have enough information to judge them, although their concepts alone sound stupid.

They sound like goofy cartoon plots. Which is appropriate for a goofy cartoon show.
  • Thumbs Up 4

They sound like goofy cartoon plots. Which is appropriate for a goofy cartoon show.

Which I have no problem against, but it was initially described as an "action comedy" so I would hope to find a bit more to it than just Teen Titans Go-esque slice of life problems. xP

Aren't both of those episode pitches from spongebob? i'm pretty sure those won't be episodes in this show, they sound too similar to other episodes that shows have done already (though admittedly that wouldn't be surprising since it is a cartoon).

• Thumbs Up 1

Which I have no problem against, but it was initially described as an "action comedy" so I would hope to find a bit more to it than just Teen Titans Go-esque slice of life problems. xP

Oh god, I hope it's not like Teen Titans go. If anything I'm hoping it's like the TMNT cartoon on Nickelodeon. That's how you do an "action-comedy".

• Thumbs Up 1

That synopsis would be incredibly stupid if they were for the games.

But in this action comedy? Well, I think they can actually get away with it. It's already getting away with a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly with us else where.

Aren't both of those episode pitches from spongebob? i'm pretty sure those won't be episodes in this show, they sound too similar to other episodes that shows have done already (though admittedly that wouldn't be surprising since it is a cartoon).

From spongebob and rocko actually. They both did episodes like this.

When you are working with a 52 episode season, you tend to go for easy plots in order to fill the time. Once you've got a trope like this down, it's up to the characters to make us laugh.

You know, after looking at the trailer from earlier, I very much liked what I saw. I liked the interaction between Sonic and Eggman, and I liked the part where Sonic was questioning old Eggy about the name of the robot Eggman made to defeat Sonic. I was also wanting to see what became of Tails after he crashed. It's very, very, very likely he survived, but still. Overall, I liked what I saw, as I have said in the beginning of this post. I look forward in seeing the series this fall.

I can imagine Eggman acting hilariously overdramatic about his "injuries" in court. Could be pretty funny. And I have no doubt there'll probably be a giant robot battle once his plan inevitably goes off the rails. XP

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm also leaving open the (hopeful) possibility that the slice of life comedy stories are like things that happen during the seasons with something that ties them together for the season intro and finale.  That would be sweet! <3

I can imagine Eggman acting hilariously overdramatic about his "injuries" in court. Could be pretty funny. And I have no doubt there'll probably be a giant robot battle once his plan inevitably goes off the rails. XP

For some reason my first thought was from "The Looney Tunes Show" in which Yosemite Sam took Speedy Gonzales to court because he burned his mouth eating Speedy's pizza.

Of course, I liked the Looney Tunes Show, so if the humor is as funny as that (though not exactly like it--this is Sonic after all), I can have a good time. I'm kinda surprised that it's not all action-adventure though; I guess it'll have a bit of a "Sonic X" vibe (at least from the comics which are decidedly more slice-of-life based on the issues I've read). The teaser also gives me a bit of a Nick's TMNT vibe, so hopefully the humor is as sharp and funny as that show (but not with as much toy shilling).

I'm also impressed with the detail in this show now that I'm looking at stills.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/12323433795/in/photostream/

I mean, look at that texture. I didn't think a CGI cartoon on a TV budget could look like this. Nick's TMNT gets around it with being very heavily stylized, and I don't think I've seen a show with this level of detail. It's game quality, IMO.

...wow, I can't believe I'm genuinely interested in this show now. Maybe I should check my expectations so I'm not overhyped for it...

Quite surprised here, I don't like the idea of the game, although it looks kinda sweet, something tells me if it sells well they might even think of changing the design to the main series aswell... although I've heard somewhere they are gonna keep this and the main series canon, but separate. The designs didn't turn out bad.  The TV Show itself though... dayum!! it looks good, the animation is neat, seems to have the Colors/Lost World type of comedy wich I enjoyed, with the original voice actors and all!!! I'm quite excited! I'm still hoping they will keep it separated from the main series.

Quite surprised here, I don't like the idea of the game, although it looks kinda sweet, something tells me if it sells well they might even think of changing the design to the main series aswell... although I've heard somewhere they are gonna keep this and the main series canon, but separate. The designs didn't turn out bad.  The TV Show itself though... dayum!! it looks good, the animation is neat, seems to have the Colors/Lost World type of comedy wich I enjoyed, with the original voice actors and all!!! I'm quite excited! I'm still hoping they will keep it separated from the main series.

To be honest, the textures looks nice, but they don't look like they have much detail to make them seem muddy. And the models seem very stylized as well.

Also, this is probably a clip from the pilot, which is bound to have some top animation.

Not to mention, this studio has a pretty impressive resume when it comes to the CGI in their shows having really good quality.

To be honest, the textures looks nice, but they don't look like they have much detail to make them seem muddy. And the models seem very stylized as well.

Also, this is probably a clip from the pilot, which is bound to have some top animation.

Not to mention, this studio has a pretty impressive resume when it comes to the CGI in their shows having really good quality.

Yeah, they are stylized, but I also see they borrow a lot from Sonic Team's own renders too in terms of details. The texture on Sonic's body, scarf, gloves, wraps, etc. seems really detailed for a CGI TV series, in the format this show will be in, which I find impressive.

I don't know much about animation, but I don't think CGI animation varies as much (if at all) from episode to episode like traditional/2D animation might. I expect the quality seen there, is what we can expect to see across the show's run. I will say, for what it's worth, the animation isn't super top-notch when I see Sonic running and things like that (I don't know why, but it just looks awkward! Is it because he's taller?), but it's very good from what I can tell.

Probably isn't going to vary too much, but when making 52 eleven minute episodes with one company, the quality may seem rushed in certain areas. The biggest toll CGI takes is how much movement a character will make, (off model is a thing of the past thankfully), and what areas they can use.

With TMNT, you had a city which is easy to do. With Sonic where the biggest gimmick is the adventure and speed, expect certain areas to be reused often.

Yeah, I got a Spongebob vibe from those episode synopses as well.

And I'm not too keen on the episodes described as well and they feel kinda iffy about their execution. 

Though speaking of courtrooms and places that hold a number of people, I'm curious about the Human to Anthro ratio of the Sonic Boom universe. Will there be an equal amount of human and anthro characters or will it be the same as the main series games where Sonic and friends are surrounded by a multitude of human like Unleashed? Kinda hoping the first choice.

Probably isn't going to vary too much, but when making 52 eleven minute episodes with one company, the quality may seem rushed in certain areas. The biggest toll CGI takes is how much movement a character will make, (off model is a thing of the past thankfully), and what areas they can use.

With TMNT, you had a city which is easy to do. With Sonic where the biggest gimmick is the adventure and speed, expect certain areas to be reused often.

I am curious what kind of "Set budget" the show will be afforded now that you bring it up. I'm expecting quite a few locales to cover Sonic's adventures across those 52 short episodes. TMNT I know has a very small "set budget" as Ciro Nieli has mentioned they can only afford one or two locales tops per episode or something. I don't remember the details, but it was pretty interesting about how TV animation works. I'll have to look up that interview again.

The basic rule of a CGI show is to have an established HUB; Sonic cannot drift to random places every day, there has to be an established area that will get the most attention.

From what I guess, it'll be a city just like TMNT and Batman. That, or a small town to keep the locale simple and spend more budget on the quantity.

The city may be focused in that grassy green hill zone like area we saw in the concept art.

Eggman will have his base with probably one or two rooms, and a long hallway. My guess is that his base may be in that canyon area.

If the show gets more seasons, I'm sure the variety will increase, but right now I expect season 1 to be small.

• Thumbs Up 2

The first trailer.

Official Boom Website: http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/boom/

Once again Sonic's running sounds like a half life 2 man hack. What's with animator's and attaching that sound effect to Sonic?

They actually KNOW how to use his ears and brows it seems. And the expressions are just great.

tumblr_n0lbwdOURY1qinqemo1_500.jpg

That's made for the game, which is a derivative work of the movie.  You can tell because the dingleberry quills seem exclusive to the show.  

That's made for the game, which is a derivative work of the movie.  You can tell because the dingleberry quills seem exclusive to the show.  

It's not like they can't just use both, since the game is a prequel to the show.

I asked if Eggman Nega is planned for Sonic Boom:

Mike Pollock ‏@itsamike 1h

@Lord_Robotnik I can't comment on anything that hasn't been announced. Sorry.

So, maybe in the future?