Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Hedgehog Day was a very funny episode. Why has there been a pattern, ever since Aim Low aired? It seems like after every bland/abrupt ending episode, the episode that airs after it is funnier, and more entertaining? How To Succeed In Evil Without Really Trying was a fun and humorous episode, Eggman's Tomato Sauce was surprisingly a good episode (despite it's odd title) not only did it have good humor, but the story and plot twist was unexpected.

Hedgehog Day was a clever episode, with a funny reference to the movie Groundhog. Eggman waking up the same day after another, and learning bit by bit on how to fix everything, before the day resets, and he has to start over. I loved how he kept getting annoyed with waking up to Orbot, and the part where Orbot made Orange juice, while grossing Eggman out was funny. The joke about Eggman asking if Cubot has his egg tank ready, only for Cubot to come up with a tank top with an egg on it. It's nice to finally see a game reference, besides Eggman's Eggmobile. In the video games, Eggman named a lot of his vehicles and weapons with the word "Egg" in front of it, so hearing him say eggtank was more refreshing, than the silly names he comes up with on the show, like Evil Fireman bot, Burn Bot, Cow Bot, or Giant Robot.

I liked the part where the gang was watching a movie, and we see Amy ssh Sonic and say "no talking", then Knuckles starts drinking loudly, then she shushes Knuckles and says "no slurping", then Eggman approaches with his tank, and she once again shushes and says "No Attacking!" The visual gag was funny, where it looks like a montage of Eggman researching formulas on the physics of time and space, with the floating blue transparent symbols and equations floating across the air, only for Eggman to tell Cubot to quit playing with his hologram device. Then we see Cubot press a switch, which makes all the blue equations disappear.  Seeing Eggman cut off half of his mustache, because he knows it will be back in the morning was pretty funny as well.

I especially loved the parts where Eggman kept repeating days of trying to explain to Sonic and Tails, so they can help him fix the issue. Best part was when Eggman asked Sonic and Tails what he should tell them tomorrow, so they can get to work quicker. The next day, we see Eggman respond to Tails's doubt by saying "Last night, you had a nightmare of being chased by a giant sock puppet..."

The real highlight of the episode was Eggman having to keep trying day after day, for Knuckles to get the resistant shield ball into place, so they can resume the natural flow of time. It was especially funny when Knuckles accidentally dropped it on Eggman's foot. It was even funnier, when it turns out Knuckles was messing up on purpose, because he didn't  want to go to a dentist appointment the next day. Right when Amy tries sympathetically lecturing Knuckles about the importance of dental cleanliness, we see Sticks tie Knuckles to the ground, and she yanks the tooth out herself. Then Knuckles cooperates, because his problem is solved, lol.

I also liked how the ending almost made it seem like time was still looping, but it turns out that big flash wasn't time resetting, but just Cubot taking a photo of Eggman. 

My final thoughts, this episode was a much better episode than last weeks. The characters didn't seem mean spirited towards another, like how everyone treated Sonic last week. The plot resolved itself, and almost fooled the audience into believing it wasn't, until we find out Cubot was just taking a photo.The humor was both funny in dialogue, action, and creative visual gags. For an episode about living a same day over and over, this one was a fun take on that formula. Making Eggman the only one to be aware of it, and seeing him having to keep trying to tell Sonic and Tails about fixing it, before the day keeps resetting allowed for some very funny moments. Also, this episode had some new visual scenery to the show, like the opening to the episode, where it showed the sun rising. It wasn't much, but it was still nice to see more than just Eggman's lair, Sonic's beach shack, or the town for a change. They finally did a little more than recycling the same looking areas. The only episode recently to not reuse a past location was the episode How to Succeed In Evil Without Even Trying. (Some might argue the courthouse from Don't Judge Me was new, but if you look closely, it just looks like a disguised version of the mayor's mansion, from "My Fair Sticksy.") I hope next week's episode can break the pattern of bland episode, followed by a good episode, especially since Cartoon Network is too stubborn to give this show more attention, air time, and for giving us half a new episode, instead of a full one... 

So...uh... How did time actually fix itself in today's episode? Do we just assume that after Knux's tooth was pulled everyone played their roles and it was all fine? It confused me XD maybe a re-watch is needed when it appears on YouTube later.

Am I the only one who got today's ending. Time didn't just get fixed on it's own. Don't any of you remember how they needed to push that shield ball to the site of where the time loop started? They needed Knuckles to fix the situation, but he was stalling, because he didn't want to go see the dentist the next day. Since Sticks resolved Knuckles's problem, Knuckles had no excuse to not help this time. It's obviously implied that Knuckles then managed to push the ball into place, which restored time's balance. Maybe if Cartoon Network wouldn't air the show so early, people would have a better time concentrating on the episode's events. I know I'm guilty of missing a few previous episode details, until rewatching it at a better rested hour.

Am I the only one who got today's ending. Time didn't just get fixed on it's own. Don't any of you remember how they needed to push that shield ball to the site of where the time loop started? They needed Knuckles to fix the situation, but he was stalling, because he didn't want to go see the dentist the next day. Since Sticks resolved Knuckles's problem, Knuckles had no excuse to not help this time. It's obviously implied that Knuckles then managed to push the ball into place, which restored time's balance. Maybe if Cartoon Network wouldn't air the show so early, people would have a better time concentrating on the episode's events. I know I'm guilty of missing a few previous episode details, until rewatching it at a better rested hour.

Yeah, I said 'do we just assume everyone played their roles' so I was just checking that was correct :) It would have been nice to see it all played out correctly in the end, but there simply wouldn't have been time.

I think this episode suffered from the 11 minute restriction. It would have been a really good 22 minute episode but (for me at least) it felt rushed and crammed into 11 minutes and the pacing felt forced. Others may disagree though, and that's fine :)

Yeah, I said 'do we just assume everyone played their roles' so I was just checking that was correct :) It would have been nice to see it all played out correctly in the end, but there simply wouldn't have been time.

I think this episode suffered from the 11 minute restriction. It would have been a really good 22 minute episode but (for me at least) it felt rushed and crammed into 11 minutes and the pacing felt forced. Others may disagree though, and that's fine :)

I don't know, I thought today's episode did good. I didn't think the ending was abrupt at all. This episode explained all it needed to, unlike last week's episode, where they made it seem like Sonic is trapped wearing those goofy shoes, without explaining why they don't come off. I was very pleased with this week's episode. Unlike last week, I was glad to wake up early for this episode. 

Another hilarious episode and it was much more focused on Eggman than I expected! I thought the episode would be about Sonic but once again it turned out to be something else entirely. And seeing Eggman in his PJs never gets old.

As for the ending it was just fine. Bill mentioned in the Boom commentary/interview I took part in with The Sonic Show that they made these episodes without knowledge of how they would be aired in the future. For example they didn't know Cartoon Network would only air one per week. Two part episodes is something they may do for season two if there is one. Besides if they went with episodes that were longer things just get dragged out and for a show with not much depth to it in the first place it wouldn't work in my opinion. In the long run, as I said before, they focused on the humor and not the plot. It's not a show intended to have an amazing plot with good pacing. It's just a fun little program designed to entertain you with laughs while you sit down and relax.

As awkward as this feels coming from me considering what I do at Sonic Paradox I think the best thing to compare this to would be the Sonic Shorts. They don't have good pacing, there's not much of a plot either. Sometimes you'll see Shorts from the same games repeatedly. Sometimes assets are used from previous Shorts in newer ones. Sometimes we have filler shorts. However despite all these flaws they excel in providing laughter and entertainment because that's exactly what we always aim to do with them. Almost every fan never says "that Sonic Shorts had such good pacing" or "it had such a nice plot". We always get "they're funny" and the reactions of laughter at Summer of Sonic are what make people watching them live worth it. They're being entertained. Sonic Boom comes off to me as what would happen if we took one Sonic Short. made it 11 minutes long, and gave it a basic plot to play off of for laughs.

I feel like I'm saying that from a casual standpoint, I mean I tend to have short opinions of the show for a reason, but that seems to be what the show is doing. Just harmless fun. And it works. I love waking up to this show even though I feel like it could be two new episodes per week instead and a time slot that is at the very least an hour or two later than what it currently is. As I've also said previously don't get me wrong. A good plot with nice pacing is always nice. I just don't think it is fair to go into a show that makes molehills and expect mountains out of them when the show is not intended to be that way in my opinion. It's a matter of opinion though so whatever. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal for this show to have great story telling and pacing, like it's necessary, when the show is doing amazingly even without it.

TL;DR version: Me going on a tangent about the same thing as before, nothing to see here. =P

• Thumbs Up 7

Anyone else wish Cartoon Network would quit showing those "Sick Bricks" shorts, before Sonic Boom starts?! They annoy me, with their barf ugly imagery, terrible voice acting and attempt at humor. It reminds me of why Sonic Boom is the only other cartoon I love now in days, because unlike most things animated now in days, Sonic Boom at least puts some use of clever humor, and some decent animation. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Another hilarious episode and it was much more focused on Eggman than I expected! I thought the episode would be about Sonic but once again it turned out to be something else entirely. And seeing Eggman in his PJs never gets old.

As for the ending it was just fine. Bill mentioned in the Boom commentary/interview I took part in with The Sonic Show that they made these episodes without knowledge of how they would be aired in the future. For example they didn't know Cartoon Network would only air one per week. Two part episodes is something they may do for season two if there is one. Besides if they went with episodes that were longer things just get dragged out and for a show with not much depth to it in the first place it wouldn't work in my opinion. In the long run, as I said before, they focused on the humor and not the plot. It's not a show intended to have an amazing plot with good pacing. It's just a fun little program designed to entertain you with laughs while you sit down and relax.

As awkward as this feels coming from me considering what I do at Sonic Paradox I think the best thing to compare this to would be the Sonic Shorts. They don't have good pacing, there's not much of a plot either. Sometimes you'll see Shorts from the same games repeatedly. Sometimes assets are used from previous Shorts in newer ones. Sometimes we have filler shorts. However despite all these flaws they excel in providing laughter and entertainment because that's exactly what we always aim to do with them. Almost every fan never says "that Sonic Shorts had such good pacing" or "it had such a nice plot". We always get "they're funny" and the reactions of laughter at Summer of Sonic are what make people watching them live worth it. They're being entertained. Sonic Boom comes off to me as what would happen if we took one Sonic Short. made it 11 minutes long, and gave it a basic plot to play off of for laughs.

I feel like I'm saying that from a casual standpoint, I mean I tend to have short opinions of the show for a reason, but that seems to be what the show is doing. Just harmless fun. And it works. I love waking up to this show even though I feel like it could be two new episodes per week instead and a time slot that is at the very least an hour or two later than what it currently is. As I've also said previously don't get me wrong. A good plot with nice pacing is always nice. I just don't think it is fair to go into a show that makes molehills and expect mountains out of them when the show is not intended to be that way in my opinion.

TL;DR version: Me going on a tangent about the same thing as before, nothing to see here. =P

With all due respect, you guys aren't really trying to tell stories with Sonic Shorts; just quick gag-after-gag. (And you do a great job with it!)

Sonic Boom is trying to. The focus may be on the comedy, but even in a continuity-barren show, you need to finish the stories you're telling.

If it were a 22 minute episode, we'd have Comedy Chimp delivering the recap, and how he'd say stuff like "Well, at least with time repeating itself for Eggman, he doesn't have to wind up his clock! HA-HA!" Or "All this time loop talk is giving me a Headape!"

But that's the thing. The show doesn't come off to me as trying on story telling. It does quick gag after gag as well (in fact there were some elements of that in today's episode). And as I've said before, the writers (and especially Bill) have said they were aiming for laughs and not plot. Like I said don't get me wrong. Good story telling is nice. But it's not really that needed for a show like this where the laughs it has been providing has been much better than I had ever expected.

I won't lie though. Sometimes there's repetitiveness in the show that even I don't particularly like because it ruins any potential laughter that could have been there. The "Tails shows new invention that breaks and causes Tails to redeem himself" subplot has gotten old. Same with the "Eggman tricks the heroes" shtick. So even I will admit that sometimes the plot can interfere with this.

It's not a perfect show. Far from it. But it does its job well enough and that is okay with me.

That's just me though. Like I said I'm probably just looking at this from a casual standpoint. lol

Well, that's the first episode of which I've had a genuinely meh impression. It just felt like it ended sooner than it really should've and there wasn't much in the way of humorous moments. I guess I can only hope that next week's episode will be better.

It reminds me of why Sonic Boom is the only other cartoon I love now in days, because unlike most things animated now in days, Sonic Boom at least puts some use of clever humor, and some decent animation. 

Hey, if I may ask: what cartoons have you been watching lately? I'm genuinely curious because this statement seems a bit iffy.

'Sole Power' and 'Hedgehog Day' were both solid episodes, (compared to 'Don't Judge Me' and 'How to Succeed in Evil' which were probably the worst of the whole series, IMO.)

Loved the bit with Eggman and Knuckles in today's episode. And Eggman hugging OrBot was a nice 'awwwww' moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked the episode quite a lot. I seem to like them more when I don't read the info synopsis thing beforehand, which usually gives me high hopes that it's going to be really good.

But yeah this was a great reference to Groundhog Day as well. I think it was a really solid episode, lot's of funny jokes too. :D

"Last night you had a dream that you were being chased by a sock puppet."

Just watched Hedgehog Day. Yep, getting pretty fed up with these abrupt endings. It's like the show is written for a 30 minute slot and then crammed into a 15 minute one.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just so you know, the next episode is Sleeping Giant, and I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully we get to see Sonic sing (but that's not gonna happen I know it).

I haven't seen Hedgehog Day but from this screenshot:

tumblr_nma4ijY8am1qbo867o1_1280.png

GIMME DAT HAMMER!

(le smash)

I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Not liking the ending but the episode was pretty good.

The best part in this episode was cubot throwing the cup of water at Eggman, lol that had me laughing.

I also liked knuckles getting distracted to carrying the ball.

It makes me wonder why these shows don't go to 30 minutes because it seems like they could make some good stuff in 30 minute's.

If there is a reason, what is it?

Also I realized were 20 episodes into sonic boom. Anyone got a favorite episode so far? I say mine would be the meteor episode.

Well, that's the first episode of which I've had a genuinely meh impression. It just felt like it ended sooner than it really should've and there wasn't much in the way of humorous moments. I guess I can only hope that next week's episode will be better.

Hey, if I may ask: what cartoons have you been watching lately? I'm genuinely curious because this statement seems a bit iffy.

Not many, since most are plain awful, and rely on fart jokes and other toilet humor, or shows that are lazily animated, and terribly written/unfunny. Shows I hate are Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners, Uncle Grandpa, Teen Titans Go, Transformers (the new one that airs before Sonic Boom), Ninjago, Legend Of Chima, and others. The only animated shows I love now in days, are Sonic Boom, The Amazing World Of Gumball, Regular Show, American Dad, and Rick and Morty. I also like Spongebob, but the show has it's ups and downs, so I can't say it's my favorite anymore, but I still tune into it. 

Not liking the ending but the episode was pretty good.

The best part in this episode was cubot throwing the cup of water at Eggman, lol that had me laughing.

I also liked knuckles getting distracted to carrying the ball.

It makes me wonder why these shows don't go to 30 minutes because it seems like they could make some good stuff in 30 minute's.

If there is a reason, what is it?

Also I realized were 20 episodes into sonic boom. Anyone got a favorite episode so far? I say mine would be the meteor episode.

Because Cartoon Network is too stubborn to request the makers to make it full length, since they'd rather screw us over by airing half an episode, while France continues on with the intended schedule, leaving us far behind... Didn't one of the writers say they weren't expecting Cartoon Network to air 1 bit of an episode? Why don't they say something to them about it? We Sonic fans deserve better, and so does the show. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just watched Hedgehog Day. Yep, getting pretty fed up with these abrupt endings. It's like the show is written for a 30 minute slot and then crammed into a 15 minute one.

I have to agree. While I felt the plot was rather cliche since the "time loop" has been done before, the episode did have some humorous moments that gave me some chuckles.

The abrupt ending thing has been pretty common in cartoons nowadays and it's getting on my nerves. Adventure Time does this too and it really makes me hate later eps because of it. I hope this doesn't become a thing in the second season (if there is one).

Yeah. I agree with the consensus here that this was a fairly weak episode outside of a few funny moments. My favorite being Knuckles not wanting the time loop to go back to normal because of a dentists appointment. Amy goes into a speech about good dental hygiene while Sticks just tackles him to the ground and yanks the tooth out herself. It's funny and a good dynamic between the two female characters.

BTW, although it's never said, Knuckles HAS to be aware of the time loop since his actions were different from day to day not to mention NOT wanting time to go back to normal because of said dentist appointment. 

But, DAMN that abrupt ending again! Knuckles agrees just as time and space fold, but this time everything's back to normal? They HAVE to smooth the show out a little better so we don't get such cut off endings.

I think I will always have a huuuuuge soft spot for The Sidekick. What can I say, I love the bromance and hope it always stays in the franchise.

In terms of the other episodes I think Can An Evil Genius Crash On Your Couch For A Few Weeks is the best of the rest, with Translate This and The Meteor also being up there with the best, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

BTW, although it's never said, Knuckles HAS to be aware of the time loop since his actions were different from day to day not to mention NOT wanting time to go back to normal because of said dentist appointment. 

I like to think it works in that the person stuck in a time loop is the only one constantly going back to the past; imagine a person tied by a rope and walking down a street but periodically being pulled back to the beginning of the rope's length. The physical space itself doesn't change, and people can move on past them. And while the tied person can change how they walk, they'll never be free unless they break the rope.

And remember, Eggman had to continually create and use the most efficient stories and proof to get Sonic and Tails believing his story more quickly in the day in order to have time to build the device, whereas if they had been in the loop too no clarification would be needed because they would all be experiencing the same day multiple times and would thus be on the same page. So from Sonic, Tails', and thus Knuckles' perspective, the final day (whatever it was, the episode literally had no resolution) was the actual day they experienced in their timeline. It would be like you experiencing the day you've currently experienced today with no working knowledge that it had already happened before, because by all rights it didn't.

It's essentially Edge of Tomorrow logic, but what doesn't make sense in the episode is that with EoT logic, resetting the time loop had an identifiable cause, which was death, and you could die at any point in the new timeline to reset. Meanwhile, we never get a reason why the explosion kept happening at the same time independent of Eggman making it happen. His first plan- being not to actually go into battle- is somehow foiled but it's never explained what influenced him to actually go into battle and cause the explosion again, when we already know for certain that actions and subsequently reactions can change depending on what he does since he carries over knowledge from each experience in the time loop. It's a pretty bad example of what's one of the more simple time travel examples in fiction. =/

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was a fun episode, but I think, as mentioned above, the episode length ruined it. Groundhog day plots require repetition and gradual buildup to be effective (and funny). It didn't even take long for Eggman to realise he was in a loop and the ending was indeed very abrupt.

I get the show's for gags, but those gags would likely be set up funnier with a longer time frame to pace properly. I agree on trying for some double length episodes at some point.

On a side note, I would like at least one episode where Eggman doesn't team up (or pretend to) with the heroes.

On a side note, I would like at least one episode where Eggman doesn't team up (or pretend to) with the heroes.

The Sidekick

Translate This!

Buster 

My Fair Sticksy

Fortress of Squalitude (He's more or less neutral as he doesn't pretend to help the others, he just offers Amy work)

Eggheads (Wasn't his fault, Sonic forced him to turn good and it was only for one minute)

Guilt Tripping

Dude Where's My Eggman?

Unlucky Knuckles

The Meteor (He wasn't working with the heroes, more just undercover while planning to destroy them from the inside)

Aim Low

How To Succeed In Evil Without Really Trying (Again, he didn't really work with them)

Don't Judge Me

The majority of the episodes so far does not have Eggman pretend to help the heroes or really helping them. The others are he doesn't appear at all, apart from a cameo (Circus of Plunder)

• Thumbs Up 1