Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Saw today's episode; Hedgehog Day, and I have to say I really like it. But man, I really wished that it was longer than 11 minutes, just like the other episodes in this show, because these constant abrupt endings are starting to get grating for me.

Guys, remember. Steven Universe runs in 11-minute segments. Steven Goddamned Universe.

The two-episode format is not a hindrance on this show's writing.

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay so I watched it a few more times (thanks YouTube) and can definitely appeciate it more now. I think it was just too much to absorb in one viewing. An okay episode overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay so I watched it a few more times (thanks YouTube) and can definitely appeciate it more now. I think it was just too much to absorb in one viewing. An okay episode overall.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't think it was bad. I blame CN for airing the show too early, our minds can't process everything at such an early hour, lol. 

It wasn't bad, it had good points within it all and some of the gags were really funny, it just didn't quite work in the episode length. Some gags needed longer pacing to work.

Using the invention Eggman created, Knuckles lifted and closed the invention around the explosion just when it happened in order to contain it and stop it from causing the time loop again. The reason it happened so many times and Knuckles kept screwing up was because Knuckles had a dentist appointment and every time he was informed of the time loop by Eggman, he screwed it up to reset time and not have to go to the dentist.

I still don't think the episode length is the problem versus the actual editing (again, Steven Universe....which itself actually had a time loop episode.) The things that need elaboration don't get them, and the things that do get thrown to the wayside, what with the stilted fight scenes, redundant visual information to express time, and the hammering home of the comedy a bit longer than it needs to be. To better explain, I'm going to go through the entire episode sans the ending and edit it to see how much time I can actually free up in this thing:

00:18-00:22- The very first shot showing that it's morning is unnecessary, considering it cuts farther out to still show the rising sun and Eggman's base. The second shot is more informative. It tells us it's morning and we're at Eggman's base at the same time, so there's no reason for the first shot to even be here.

01:13-01:15- You don't need the establishing shot of the Egg Tank. Eggman just said he wanted the tank ready, and the scene after this shows him inside. We can thus infer that the cockpit he's sitting in is the Egg Tank he's talking about. (And on top of that, the shot is facing the wrong way. The tank is facing left, but then we cut to Eggman facing right. Bad continuity!)

01:21-01:23/1:24-01:30- This part of the montage is redundant. One, there's obvious iconography that shows us the gang is about to watch a film- the camera, the screen, and the films respectively. You only need one of these- preferably the films- to establish this, and it's the scene I'd stick with since it's the only one that has recurring use in the time-loop later on. What I'd do is have Eggman immediately cut in on Sonic and Tails' specific tasks and continue normally into the next shot, where Eggman brings up three screens showing the others doing their own jobs.

01:45-01:48- The audience has no need to see Eggman put on his seatbelt. Cut from the "spoiler alert" line to him turning on the machine instead.

02:01-2:02- We don't need a second shot of Eggman driving either. The previous shot shows the tank rolling out! Cut from that to Comedy Chimp.

02:34-02:35- No need for the shot of the Crabmeats coming in, especially since they're approaching from screen right when Sonic and co. were established already as being at screen right. The 180 line's flipped for no reason. Cut immediately to Sticks and flip it back.

03:49-03:51- We still don't need to see Eggman putting on his seatbelt.

04:01-04:02- Cut the lightning strike. We can speed this up during the slow-motion scene of the two energy strikes by having the sound of thunder play right as we cut to them.

04:07-04:09- We don't need to see the alarm clock. Again, have the sound play over the next scene of Eggman waking up in bed before he says the line. That's all you need.

05:01-05:07- We arguably don't need a *fourth* reiteration of the "eggs and bacy" joke. Rule of threes and all of that. Not only that, but Eggman already threatened Orbot something fierce during the third time we've seen this bit, so merely flipping the tray isn't all that funny a pay-off.

05:15-05:22- If the above joke is cut, then the scene of the clean-up breaks continuity.

05:36-05:37- We don't need Eggman's second growl. We know he gets angry when his plans mess up, and thus he starts the day over. After Amy's hammer is recovered, use the white-out effect to signify the do-over.

05:39-05:43/ 05:47-05:54/ 06:01-06:05/ 06:13-06:17- Lots of cuts to get really freaking efficient. Cut the shot of the alarm and Eggman waking up. We know he's still in the time loop so this is unnecessary reiteration. Keep the shot of him stealing the films, but cut the scene where he flies off (we don't expect him to stick around to get caught) and where Sonic and Tails walk in. However, keep the gag of Sonic and Tails finding the stolen films (although it's pretty long and could be trimmed). Now, cut the shot of the Crabmeats storming the beach- we know this happens. Keep Amy's first scene to establish where we are in the fight this day. Cut out Tails setting up the projector as well as Amy's second scene- both are redundant. Trim off the part of the shot where Tails finds out his projector isn't working.

What you now get is this: The white out effect happens, signalling a restart. We cut to Eggman addressing the problem we just literally saw with Tails helping Amy by stealing the films, and we get the little gag of the falling film. Cut immediately to Amy struggling against the Crabmeat, Tails finding out his projector has no ammo, and after Amy recognizes this she loses her hammer. That's all the information we need to understand Eggman's progression.

06:41-06:44- That alarm clock needs to die. The white-out effects tells us we've started over already! Just cut to Orbot coming in.

09:31-09:33- We can get away without starting the conversation at Tails' insistence that there's no time loop, since Eggman directly asks him beforehand what he needs to say in order to convince them more quickly of the problem. Don't pad out answering such a simple question.

09:36-09:37- This feels like a dubious use of the time warp visual effect. Just cut it out and let us assume they day has continued. There's no reason to use it otherwise.

10:08-10:09- Perhaps a little pedantic, but we don't need to see Knuckles lifting the sphere again. Cut to him holding it.

10:15-10:16- We don't need the reaction shot of Eggman. It's not particularly funny or insightful.

tl:dr-- I managed to cut out over an entire minute of footage. This isn't counting more stuff I would merely trim out, rearrange, speed up, rewrite, and cut for personal tastes versus cut to simply tell the story as fast as possible, which would probably take out another minute or so from the proceedings. So we're looking at two whole minutes of time minimum- nearly 20% of the episode- that could've not only sped up the pace of the writing and general snappiness of the jokes but also salvaged enough time for a proper ending for this episode.

(I wish I could Abridge this myself.)

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

This episode was funny, I liked the creativity here!

IMO the ending wasn't that bad... unlike the endings of Aim Low, Don't Judge Me, and to a certain extent, Sole Power.

Also: A slight drop in the views?: http://www.tssznews.com/2015/04/04/sonic-boom-tv-ratings-week-15/

And Canada's gonna get the show next week: http://www.tssznews.com/2015/04/04/sonic-boom-to-begin-airing-in-canada-next-week/

Re: Hedgehog Day.

"Don't ever say that again. :l" Eggman's bluntness is beautiful.

"...suddenly I'm not so thirsty." Yeah that was pretty gross, but nifty!

I like how Eggman actually has a seatbelt in his machine. It reminds me of the "you made me spill my drink!" bit from Rise of Lyric.

Loved the part where it turns out Cubot is just playing with a hologram projector, when it looks like a calculations montage.

Poor Eggman's unable to win in this scenario... just when everything went perfect, time resets anyway. I like the resulting apathy about things from him... and how Cubot shows intelligence and exploits such.

"It's extremely dense." "So's Knuckles, maybe he can lift it." Ouch, Sonic. ...and it works. Wow.

Eggman steals the show as always. It may as well be Eggman Boom.

Hmm... When looking about for information on Sonic Boom in Australia, I found an episode coming next week called "Closed Door Policy".

The description says:

When Amy realizes that Sticks is a pack rat, she forces her friend to have a garage sale to get rid of all the junk that's accumulated in her burrow.

I searched it up, and there's nothing anywhere about it. Could this be a new episode that even France doesn't have yet? Has there been any actual information about the episode? When possible, I'll take some pictures of the episode when it airs.

...It really amazes me how the show is getting treated so differently in each country.

Hmm... When looking about for information on Sonic Boom in Australia, I found an episode coming next week called "Closed Door Policy".

The description says:

When Amy realizes that Sticks is a pack rat, she forces her friend to have a garage sale to get rid of all the junk that's accumulated in her burrow.

I searched it up, and there's nothing anywhere about it. Could this be a new episode that even France doesn't have yet? Has there been any actual information about the episode? When possible, I'll take some pictures of the episode when it airs.

Hey this episode was already confirmed few months ago. While Amy cleans Sticks' burrow and is making preparations to the carage sell, she accidentally releases some strange creatures what were living in Sticks' house.

Hey this episode was already confirmed few months ago. While Amy cleans Sticks' burrow and is making preparations to the carage sell, she accidentally releases some strange creatures what were living in Sticks' house.

The description says:

It's the episode "Hoarding the Horde". Still not aired in France.

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Sonic_Boom_%28TV_series%29_episodes

ohh i finally saw the episode.. it was good..very funny.. but i didn't get the ending... XD

as many of you.. i agree it was kinda rushed

but the thing i liked the most.. it was eggman interacting with Orbot and Cubot.. they were kinda left out for various episodes..

i think now it should be Sticks' turn.. there is only 2 episodes dedicated to her.. i'd wish to see more of Sticks and Amy frienship someday ^_^

i think now it should be Sticks' turn.. there is only 2 episodes dedicated to her.. i'd wish to see more of Sticks and Amy frienship someday ^_^

Are you kidding? If anyone deserves their own episode, it's Amy. Everyone has had their own exclusive starring role, except Amy. Fortress Of Squallitude was more of a costarring episode of Eggman and Amy, yet it mostly seemed to focus on Eggman. Sticks has had 2 episodes, Knuckles had 1, Tails and Eggman have had the most, and Sonic has had a few. Even Orbot and Cubot got their own episode. What about Amy? She hasn't had any episode centered mostly towards her. Quite a shame if you ask me. 

Well there's that Puppycon episode we have the synopsis for 

Once again, that sounds like a costarring episode of Eggman and Amy. We don't even know if it will focus mostly on Amy and Eggman, or Sonic spying on them. By the sounds of it, it sounds like it will mostly focus on Sonic spying on them. Will Amy ever get an episode, where the main focus is on her, instead of the people around her? It's just weird how everyone has had a roll that focuses on them mostly, yet Amy always has to appear as a co character, instead of the main character. We don't even know when Puppy Con will air, Mike Pollock confirmed on Facebook that it would be one of the much later episodes, so don't expect to see it anytime soon (unless France airs it, since they release episodes regularly, unlike Cartoon Network...)