Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

We covered it last week on the Sonic Boom Commentary actually. Bill told us the change was due to it being a clearer name as to what it is. Crabmeat likewise is 'Crab Bot', whilst another change is that there are no 'Badniks', Eggman refers to them as his 'minions'.

(Also, yes... hi.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, I finally saw the episode. I honestly thought it was gonna be some musical, but I guess I wrong. But, other than that I quite enjoyed the episode and it was pretty funny here and there. I loved at the beginning how everyone had an excuse to get away from Orbot and Cubot, while leaving poor Tails with the two. I especially loved Knuckles' line the best; "Sorry guys, I gotta go think of an excuse not to hang out with you." :D In the end, I thought it was pretty neat that the two had to go into the digital world through 16 17-bit gameplay, the Konami code was a neat reference and it was a bit hilarious on how Orbot and Cubot beat the bad guy had to save the day and Sonic and Eggman scheduling a meetup for a battle.

Overall it was a good episode. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, we haven't even hit the half way point for Season 1. There's 52 episodes in Season 1

France on the other hand are probably past the half point... The worst part is, CN should have had those episodes aired as well, but they chose to slack off for a whole month, and start airing half a full new episode package a week. God I hate Cartoon Network... They torture us Sonic fans. I especially hate how they torture us by making us watch those God awful "Sick Bricks" cartoons, before every airing. It's watching garbage like that, which reminds me of why Sonic Boom is a much better show than any of the other trash they show on Saturday Mornings.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Cartoon Network needs to get caught up with their neglect on the show. They need to air more episodes, they need to advertise the show on their network, and they need to take off reruns of their awful Teen Titans Go, and give Sonic Boom some reruns instead (seriously, Teen Titans Go takes up too many slots a day, despite the fact that Sonic Boom is a fast rising ratings hit, yet they're still giving it the Saturday Morning half a new episode a week treatment!?)

Today's new episode had some funny moments, but too many moments felt rushed, and unexplained. For instance, when Orbot and Cubot were fighting over playing the computer game (good Sonic game reference during that part.) The part where it showed the virus hacking into Eggman's lair didn't have a good explanation. Other than the possibility that Tails somehow got hacked, you have to wonder why it showed what was happening at Eggman's lair when that happened, it was just a rushed excuse for Orbot and Cubot to race off to Eggman's lair, and warn him. It would have made more sense for them to recognize the virus as the guy Eggman was talking to, which had them set off to warn him, instead, they just saw Eggman's technology being hacked into. Seriously, why would Tails's computer happen to show what a virus was doing in Eggman's lair?

I'm aware that Bill already explained the episode's title, but it still was a bad title for the episode, since it really doesn't match the episode's main conflict at all. The episode was more about Eggman's technology being hacked, and Orbot and Cubot had to enter a computer to defeat a virus. The episode barely featured Orbot and Cubot switching sides, so why name the episode after a Musical Chairs reference? A better name would have been something like Virus Gone Viral, What the Hax?, or Bit Bots, but "Let's Play Musical Friends?" It's very misleading.

I also didn't get how when Orbot and Cubot got into a digital plane, how it started making Tails's plane start flying on it's own, in real life. They were just inside some computer, and got in a pixelized plane, they didn't mention that Orbot and Cubot would be able to take control of the technology around them. It might have made more sense if Tails noticed his plane was flying on it's own, and he was wondering why it was doing that, only for him to realize that Orbot and Cubot somehow broke into it's digital coding, when exploring the world inside the computer. Instead, they just showed Tails's plane fly off on it's own for no reason, they were better off just leaving that scene out, and focusing more on the important things.

The ending was also very rushed. This is why CN needs to air full episodes like they were supposed to, it sucks to have to wake up so early in the morning, and not knowing whether those 11 minutes will be worth getting up to. It helps if you're given a full new episode treatment, that way if you didn't like the first paired episode, then maybe the second one will be good as well. The episode did have funny moments though, like Sonic and friends making excuses to leave Orbot and Cubot, The Sonic video game reference, Orbot and Cubot entering the computer realm, the "Princess Is In Another Castle" moment, and how Cubot hacked their way out of that crushing wall trap, by using the legendary Konami Cheat Code.

• Thumbs Up 1

You really think it's bad for you guys? Cartoon Network are such fuckers in the UK that we aren't getting it until Fall 2015. Likely November, and I very much doubt we'll get new episodes in any timely order.

Guys, you don't need to ask about Metal Sonic & Shadow, all you have to do is look in the Tomy Toys thread for your answer on that one.

You really think it's bad for you guys? Cartoon Network are such fuckers in the UK that we aren't getting it until Fall 2015. Likely November, and I very much doubt we'll get new episodes in any timely order.

I get this was an issue when they first announced when the UK would be getting it, but is this really a problem? All you have to do is look on youtube and there they all are. 

That isn't the point. It has just seriously harmed the Boom initiative in one of the places where Sonic's most popular and gave that place two near broken games.

Plus the fact it isn't just Boom, it's the fact that CN UK keeps giving us the short end of the stick with everything, let it be Sonic Boom, Adventure Time and Regular Show getting regular censorship, episodes taking forever to come to the UK and so much more. Boom is just the latest in a absolutely unfair way to people when it comes to air dates and the like, especially when Nick and Disney usually get new shows and episodes up a few weeks or months after the US air date.  

it's the fact that CN UK keeps giving us the short end of the stick with everything, let it be Sonic Boom,

Why do you keep saying that as if you know for a fact it's to do with Cartoon Network UK? 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DQyjLQR2tyI

all right! this episode was so awesome! :lol: hahaha i enjoyed it so much! and i never got disgusted actually..

i loved this new villain and i just hope he appears again someday! it looked like a mix of Zavok and Black Doom :D hahah

plus.. its a digital being! great!

he looked more evil and more serious villain than Barker though.. hohoh..

was Roger Craig's voice isn't it?

Eggman hiding behind Sonic was something so cute :D hahah Eggman and Tails hugging.. well not too much for Tails face but anyway..

but it was funny...

"Sonic you forgot your ass!" i know Amy said other thing.. but that's what i heard :D hahha

Edited by Drawloverlala
  • Thumbs Up 2

That isn't the point. It has just seriously harmed the Boom initiative in one of the places where Sonic's most popular and gave that place two near broken games.

Plus the fact it isn't just Boom, it's the fact that CN UK keeps giving us the short end of the stick with everything, let it be Sonic Boom, Adventure Time and Regular Show getting regular censorship, episodes taking forever to come to the UK and so much more. Boom is just the latest in a absolutely unfair way to people when it comes to air dates and the like, especially when Nick and Disney usually get new shows and episodes up a few weeks or months after the US air date.  

Yeah that really pisses me off about CN UK too. Powerpuff Girls had way more violence and shit and it was NEVER censored back in the day. I'm going to laugh if even Sonic Boom gets censored or edited for no particular reason.

France on the other hand are probably past the half point... The worst part is, CN should have had those episodes aired as well, but they chose to slack off for a whole month, and start airing half a full new episode package a week. God I hate Cartoon Network... They torture us Sonic fans. I especially hate how they torture us by making us watch those God awful "Sick Bricks" cartoons,

You can't turn your head away for two minutes? No one's "making" you watch anything.

As for "getting up so early", just wait for the youtube uploads. It's not like it's a long wait.

Well, I'm not gonna lie: while there were a couple funny moments present, "Let's Play Musical Friends" was just an overall underwhelming episode to me. I just couldn't feel all that compelled to care for any of the characters besides Orbot and Cubot, and the Villain of the Day left a fair bit to be desired.

Generally speaking, how is everyone feeling about the show 23 episodes in? Is it still going strong, or has it started to cool off?

I don't think it's lost its luster quite yet; it's still in the realm of "pretty good" for me.

Generally speaking, how is everyone feeling about the show 23 episodes in? Is it still going strong, or has it started to cool off?

To be honest, I feel like the level of quality has been pretty consistent for the past 23 episodes. The only problem is that they all seem to follow a certain formula, which makes everything feel a bit samey after a while.

Obviously Boom isn't aiming to be the type of show you get super-invested in. It's just there to entertain you for a short while and make you laugh, which is something I think it succeeds at.

• Thumbs Up 5

Why do you keep saying that as if you know for a fact it's to do with Cartoon Network UK? 

It could be Sega. It could be both. But I know right now for a fact that CN UK has done a shit ton of wrong to the UK in the last 5 years alone so I'm more inclined to believe it's them holding it back, considering it also took them a year to get Teen Titans Go over here as well.

I think it's gotten funnier.

The first few episodes were just okay, but 23 was fucking hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the better episodes. The ending had so much breathing room this time, it almost went on for TOO long. XD

Cubot was definitely the VIP of comedy in this episode. He had all the best lines. 

Is it just me, or did Orbot either have a different voice actor or did Wally Wingert had a cold during recording? He sounded a little off.

Eggman did build a new Burnbot with super laser eyes after all! But does it feed him evil ham?

"Robot crab"? It's Crabmeat! Renaming the classic badniks (outside of Motobug who kept his name) was real unnecessary IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you have any last words? Yeah. Up up down down left right left right B A start!

This will be my last words, I swear to God.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. So many references in one episode:

• The title: reference to musical chairs!
  • The princess is in another castle: Mario Bros!
  • Up up down down left right left right B A start!: Kotami code!
  • I'm getting more of a Zavok look in Nominatus. Who voiced him?
  • You run fast, collect rings , and dash! That's terrible!: reference to some of the games getting mixed/negative reviews some of our fanbase in a nutshell

​Cubot was really funny in this episode. Orbot and Cubot are like Spongebob and Patrick to me! :3

I'm not so sure of this episode, personally, the video game jokes seemed a bit forced and the one-time villain wasn't that entertaining.

What did Sonic leave on the table? I keep hearing "Sonic, you forgot your ass!"

@Amomynous: Sonic left nothing on the table. He made an excuse to chop his arm off and ran off. Amy decided to play along with this as an excuse and said Sonic, you forgot your AXE! (that's what my guess is).

(Typed by phone.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I tought this show had tons of potential from the beginning, it's very creative with the characters and there was some very clever uses of character humor

(I love the thought translation episode, where Tails's high inteligence and Eggman's self obsessiveness made them have entire conversations with the robot, unaware that they're literally talking to their own thoughts.)

But after a while, the same themes started to repeat over and over. Sonic or Eggman lose motivation and become bored, or have to work together. That was fun at first but those themes are repeated so often that they start to feel less like comical subversaions of the characters and more just the neutral state of the entire show.

Now this seems to be 2 edged sword and it's both the strong point and weakpoint of the show. It's simple pleasures and sense of fun are the big draw most people have to it. It's innocent, it's simple, it's cheerful.

Easy to get into, easy to enjoy.

But there doesn't seem to be much going on under the hood, I'm missing a heart, or manic energy, or satircal wit, or anything that keeps me going beyond waiting whether Amy will do a goofy accent in the next scene again.

Now, technically speaking, I don't think the quality of the show is going down. In fact I think it's impossible for that too happen, the show's pretty simple in structure. It's about sillyness and the voice actors having a good time.

Celebrating being a nerd or being crazy.

Humor that's easy to recreate and uphold.

So unless the producers and actors get bored, I'm pretty sure the show will have a consistent quality to it.

It's just that...For my interest to hold up, I need a little more under the hood. The show's too shallow.

(Altough I have to say, the first episode seems to be in an entirely diffrent league then the rest of the show. Take the Amy and Knuckles scenes out of it and the Sidekick episode has a surprisng amount of emotional gravitas and punch to it and has much more breathing room for the characters then any episode afterwards)

If character traits were a bit more focused and multi layered, like say, Knuckles stupidity comes from inexperience of dealing with other people rather then just "lol he's dumb.", episodes could have more depth and direction. Now everything just operates on a random sillyness factor, which is alright for a short bursts of fun but starts to feel empty and tiresome

While Sonic X, for example, didn't have many jokes,I did appreciate how they took an idea and kept escalating it.

Like teaming up the hyper polite Cream the Rabbit with an old talketive and demented lady. The old lady keeps talking and repeating herself, Cream's too polite to notice/ stop her and thus we get the wonderful surreal moment of the two of them being locked in an eternal never ending conversation. That's great.

I wish Boom would do that more, not just be content with making Knuckles stupid, but put him in a situation or up against someone that'll push their character flaws to the next level.

They make him a lawyer in court in one episode. Great! Use Knuckles stupidity to really exagerate Court room antics and turn the situation upside down! Alas, Sonic Boom's content with merely letting Knuckles be stupid without any escalation or a satirical breakdown of Lawyer practises.

Instead of becoming a Courtroom drama parody, the whole set up becomes nothing more then a diffrent background while the cast just do their regular routine.

But hey, it's for kids. Keep it simple.

So yeah, occasionaly there's a good episode, the translation one is fun, the tomato can episode was good. There's some winners.

But Mr. Freiberger has a terrible fear for risking the kiddies not getting the joke.

Considering the "Crabmeat is too confusing a name" and "If Knuckles isn't thrice as big as he was before, kids won't understand he's supposed to be the strong one" things I keep hearing about, there's very little confidence in their audience.

And this makes the show a pretty good Kid's show but a very mediocre Family/All ages show.

(Actually, now I think about it, it's a good thing they made Knuckles so beefy. Because so far I never saw him do anything more muscular then just punching out simple mooks that even Tails and Sticks could easily handle.

It's definitly not the writing of the show that's showing us he's supposed to be really strong.)

• Thumbs Up 2

There's two words that can describe why France is ahead of the US in episodes.

Winter. Hiatus.