Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Meanwhile, this episode had Eggman at the end and suffer a missile to the base when he wasn't even in the episode doing anything to deserve it. 

On another note, am I the only one who thinks the missile silo was a bit Deus Ex Machina-ish? I mean, it came out of absolutely no where and it served no purpose other than to make Sonic look like a douche and make Sticks look like someone on Tails' level of genius without any reason whatsoever. 

As for Sonic, he didn't really cheat to be honest. He didn't intentionally set up a trap and he did say he was going to come back for Amy and Sticks, after hitting the finish line. What was cheating was the fact that Sticks and Amy managed to ride a fucking missile to the finish line! It wouldn't have even been that big a deal if Amy and Sticks lost the bet because at most, the only thing they'd need to do is wash Sonic's scarf, and both his and Knuckles' shoes. 

I honestly would say this ties with Buster as the worst episode and it just further makes Sticks look bad in my eyes, considering the two worse episodes of the series have been related to her.

To be honest, this episode kinda exemplified the entire series; I probably would have taken bigger umbrage with how the boys were written, but its too inoffensive for me to get angry at, but at the same time there wasn't anything spectacular about this episode either. So its just....average. No positive or negative feelings about it.

Notice how the buzz about this show has died down significantly since its debut. It was a fun at first, but it hasn't really had any case of standout writing since, so I don't really think its something I'd likely go out of my way to watch every weekend.

Notice how the buzz about this show has died down significantly since its debut.

It has taken a backseat because of E3 and SEGA's plans for 2015/2016. But there's still plenty of interest.

Considering SEGA teased games after E3 yeah. They have plans. =P

With the majority of our bigger titles launching later in 2015/2016, particularly those from our AAA studios Relic Entertainment, Sports Interactive and Creative Assembly...

That is an extremely vague statement and notice how it doesn't reference Sonic in the slightest.

I wasn't referring to just Sonic, I was referring to SEGA as a whole. Besides I mentioned 2016 for a reason. lol

I liked how this week's episode handled the whole "boys vs. girls" theme because I didn't feel like it was really about one gender proving themselves over the other. It felt more like the characters trying to teach their teammate survival and the way the bet was set up just so happened to split the two teams into boys vs. girls. As for Sonic trying to cheat... eh, I'd be furious over it if he went to Babylon Rogue levels and tried to cheat by harming the other team. In this, all he does is attempt to run back to his place to get something, but unfortunately, he and Knuckles were lost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not having watched this episode yet, but based on what you guys are saying, would you feel this episode would have been better if in the jungle area, Sticks is trying to use her survival instincts and paranoia to make it through while Amy keeps getting sidetracked, while on Sonic's end he can't simply blast through to the end since he doesn't know the area as well due to the jungles geography (as well as the terms of the bet), but it turns out due to Knuckles' love of nature (IIRC that was stated to be a trait SOMEWHERE), he's able to navigate it pretty well, but Sonic is still skeptical of Knuckles' abilities due to him going about it in a highly eccentric and not completely obvious fashion (even if it makes some sort of sense to him)?

I liked how this week's episode handled the whole "boys vs. girls" theme because I didn't feel like it was really about one gender proving themselves over the other. It felt more like the characters trying to teach their teammate survival and the way the bet was set up just so happened to split the two teams into boys vs. girls. As for Sonic trying to cheat... eh, I'd be furious over it if he went to Babylon Rogue levels and tried to cheat by harming the other team. In this, all he does is attempt to run back to his place to get something, but unfortunately, he and Knuckles were lost.

By contrast, only one or two people post in here per week to talk about the latest episode.

I'm assuming you are being serious here, hence my response. I can think of at least 10 members other than myself right off the top of my head that post their thoughts on the Sonic Boom episodes on a consistent basis with some of them doing it weekly in this thread. I know good and well that exclusively 1 or 2 people aren't posting multiple times to make this topic grow by several pages every Saturday and throughout the week. You may not be among them but there is a bunch of us that still like to discuss the new episodes every week. Anyway, like I've done for the previous 24 episodes, I'm going to that now with Episode 25, "Into the Wilderness".

This episode...I didn't really like it bar a few moments as I found it disappointing overall. Like many others here, I' m not a fan of the whole girl vs. boy cliché either although thankfully the teams weren't trying to indicate superiority because of their gender. The episode was definitely predictable, even though I was really hoping Amy and Sticks were going to lose. While Knuckles unfortunately has been excessively and needlessly portrayed as being incompetent, seeing Sonic being portrayed the same at moments I found to be rather jarring.  

Sonic seemed additionally out of character as well as mean when laughed at the thought of Sticks teaching Amy survival skills and when he offered to help Amy and Sticks get out of the missile silo-after he taunted them saying he would do it after he and Knuckles crossed the finish line. Just last week Sonic made it a point to help others immediately like he usually does; even at the expense of him possibly not returning the library book on time. Then there was the whole well incident where he demanded and not asked Tails to pull him out of it and when Tails did obliged Sonic didn't even thank him. And Sonic cheating...Bad characterization of Sonic here in this episode overall with him not being a good sport among other things and as big as I am on characterization in general, I didn't like this at all.

A minor complaint but this episode did not have enough Tails in it. Of course I didn't expect him to be part of either one of the teams as that would of made things uneven and unfair but I thought I would of been nice to had seen him waiting at the finish line. Even better if he disqualified the girls for riding a missile to the finish line as that seemed to be "cheating" to me. Maybe Tails didn't care anymore after everyone blew him off in his plea for everyone to be fair and if that was the case I can't blame Tails for that at all. 

I had no problem at all with Dr. Eggman barely being part of the episode as well as having nothing to do with the conflict within the plot or even interfering as that was a nice change from that at least in this episode. I didn't like the ending though, as Dr. Eggman had the missile hit his base and he didn't even do anything in this episode to even deserve that. Then again, Sticks activating the thing along with her and Amy riding it was extremely stupid in itself as well as dangerous. The episode wasn't all bad as I liked how Sticks was portrayed and there were definitely some laugh-worthy moments. I liked Amy and Sticks working together as a team as well.

Nevertheless I still found some highlights/observations, and per usual I'd like to share those as "Into the Wilderness" did have some good moments with it as well as the bad:

K5weZWG.png?2
I always enjoy when Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Sticks are all together. Even doing simple things as walking together :)

dFdeyLY.png?3
Where did that map come from?! Amy seems to take a page out of Sonic's book by pulling things out of nowhere!

MSkiddm.png?2
"Ta-da! Gumtree berries!" And "ta-da! A plothole!" :(

PhAPUjg.png?2
Why doesn't anyone seem to listen to Tails in Sonic Boom? :( Soar the Eagle, Comedy Chimp and Dave the Intern all made appearances again in this scene :P

btZCHp6.gif?1
I think Sonic and Knuckles do some of the stupidest, yet most hilarious things! :P

Jy0i3Tx.png?2
Sonic made a fire alright...Knuckles trying to put the fire out with the stick and Sonic screaming was really funny! :P

TPEcNY3.png?2
It's a simple gesture, but I love it when the characters hi-five another another among other friendly gestures :)

JrDDZOv.png?2
I really can't blame Amy and Sticks for the facepalm and double facepalm, respectively. This episode had me doing it a few times myself, unfortunately <_<

So yeah, "Into the Wilderness" is definitely not one of my favorite episodes. The more I think about it, I think it actually may be the worst episode so far, even though it did have me laughing quite a bit at times. Plot-holes, clichés, and bad characterization of Sonic is a bad combination here IMO.Not to mention when I look for highlights to put in my takes of each episode, I usually have too many choices to choose from. For this episode that wasn't the case so I think that says something as well. Despite that, will this episode cause my excitement and enjoyment of Sonic Boom to wane, even slightly? Absolutely not!  In my opinion the positives still outweigh the negatives by a ton. That said, I'll be looking forward to next week's episode of Sonic Boom per usual! :)
  • Thumbs Up 8

Perhaps it's because I don't come here often, but it does kinda feel like this topic isn't exactly booming.....pun not intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say this. This episode was still a better attempt at a slice of life episode than Satam's Antoine shorts. :P

IMO, this episode gave me the laughs. But I am neutral at the moment about it. Here's some of my thoughts:

• Last weeks episode had random explosions...

...This weeks episode had Amy setting fire to tents. XD

tumblr_no3joql5MT1sr2zj6o4_500.gif

• Dat goat scream.
  • There were some good face moments though, such as this:

tumblr_no3esopq6j1rvua03o1_500.png

And this:

tumblr_no38hcTQ1w1up2wzho1_400.png

Did I mention this?

tumblr_no3e9kbveP1rg60hdo1_500.gif

There's also some memes being displayed showing Sonic's angry face after losing! (Some are funny though)

• Sonic set his shoes on fire! And it was funny that he and Knuckles were fighting over a carrot.
  • "We'll help you, right after crossing the finish line! (laughs)" Sonic you jerk.  :angry:
  • The ending was okay for me, it was funny also.
  • Something else I noticed is the running gag of this episode: Some people get interupted whenever saying " *insert some survival talk here* is a piece of cake!" 

Eg:

Sonic: Surviving the forest is a piece of-

*falls into well*

Sonic: ...cake.

This happened to him two times and both were funny.

Now that I think about it, Sonic's characterization was the negative part for me, Sticks' personality was the one characterization I liked. She did teach Amy about surviving the wild, and was calm in several situations. In fact I think the whole purpose of this episode was to show Sticks' abilities of her survival skills. Maybe because we haven't seen much of it (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'm guessing the reason why Tails got less screen time is because he'd probably 'get hurt'... again, and Sonic and Knuckles may not listen to him.

Looking forward to Eggman Unplugged and the Lightning "Dolt" Society! :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, it may be because I don't tend to look at things too critically, but I liked the episode. Yeah, it had its faults-- maybe Sonic was a bit more mean-spirited and incompetent compared to his behavior in past episodes (the latter could probably be excused because he's not as experienced at pure survival in the wild as Sticks)-- but ultimately, it was still enjoyable.

As I said earlier, the scene where Sonic's shoes catch on fire is a riot. It's his reaction to it that gets me; Knuckles attempting to put the fire out by whacking the shoes with a twig and Sonic's reaction to that are the icing on the cake.

In any case, I can't wait to see how Eggman battles the gang without using his tech. Should be a good laugh...

I think at the very least it was a strong episode for Sticks characterization. She came off looking the best out of all of them and it catered to her strengths. I also like the moments with her and Amy showing off their polarizing personalities. Sticks is trying to teach her survival while she just want to decorate everything. I think the fact that she's more than willing to kill a small animal and eat it gives her character a bit of an edge. Also, she's starting to have the traits of a future serial killer. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

It was cathartic to see her 'wild girl' persona used in a depthful and positive manner, rather than just being a conspiracy nut spouter all the time. Even some of her crazier moments had a funny method to them (eg. her elaborate plan to position the bird's onto the control panel).

If we can just have an episode doing this for Knuckles now and the whole cast will feel complete.

Saw the episode this morning. I have to say, I kinda like it a bit. I do love the interaction between Amy and Sticks, Sonic and Knuckles and it does show it developing bond between the four. I also liked that they used Sticks' expertise in the wild in an effective way and not just spouting conspiracy nonsense. I keep seeing in the posts that Sonic and Knuckles were cheating in this race; In all honesty, I completely forgotten that if Sonic and Knuckles ever cheating. Maybe it would've been at least worked a bit better if it were Sonic and Amy competing against Sticks and Knuckles for the survival race instead of the obvious Boy VS Girl episode cliche that they went with instead. Oh, I also love the fact that things are still blowing up for no reason, just like last episode.

It certainly wasn't my favorite episode, far from it, and I can't really call the worst either but it was at least decent enough for me to enjoy some of it but as of now I'm just gonna look forward to next week's episode.

Not sure why they aren't being linked anymore but can someone PM me youtube links to last weeks and this weeks episodes?

I admit a Sonic/Amy vs Knuckles/Sticks setup might have worked better, especially since both of the latter have an infamy of being treated as the patronised idiots of the squad. The way it was set up made it almost like the girls were being hypocrites and using the retard to make a point.

That said I like that the show is spotlighting Amy's prissy qualities in a way that isn't just full time pompous 'above it all' madam.

It was nice to see Tails make use of his namesakes this episode. I often forget he can fly on his own in both Boom and the main series since he uses it so rarely.

I knew the moment Sticks said “race,” he was going to do that.

It’s kind of funny to see Knuckles watching the bird guy’s program, given I’m fairly positive they have the same voice and it’s not hard to tell… :P

Poor Tails trying to referee the competition only for them to just ignore him. XD

Knuckles’ genius continues… that destruction of the compass, the smashing of his hand to open a nut, getting lost just a few feet from where Sonic was…

“I know that sound! :D …uh oh. :S” Perfect ending.

• Thumbs Up 1

hehe dunno.. but i think i liked it so much anyway..

i liked how Sonic called Amy "Ames".... i though that nickname was only avariable at the fandom..

also.. maybe Sonic went out of character when he wanted to leave the girls behind.. but i have to admit still was cool :D

that was being eeeviiil..... :lol:

https://youtu.be/rVhm3A8XUW4?t=575  just look at that evil laugh!  XD hahaha

i liked also how Sticks showed her wisdom about survive on the nature..it was so cute when she called the birds..

and...sooooo Sticks eats rabbits... ohohoh

if Knuckles supose to not have a house... how does he survive with those surviving skills? :D hahah

(ohh well... knuckles seems to be very resistent to many things)

THIS Sonic.. not having great surviving skills.. well.. i think.. because he runs that fast by solo.. nothing will happend to him wherever he goes anyway... :D

other thing i really liked...and its going to sound weird..... it was Sonic's body ..°w°.. i mean.. there it was parts.. i noticed how large his trunk is..

EDIT: ohh i noticed that...by times  Sonic had a larger trunk and a shorter trunk 

https://youtu.be/rVhm3A8XUW4?t=431 

Edited by Drawloverlala

I'm surprised that some people are taking such as issue with this episode. I guess most of the criticisms come from it being cliché and seeing as a I don't watch much TV (Boom being the only cartoon/kids show on the list) it makes sense. Yeah, good episode. Better than a lot of the others.

• Thumbs Up 2

YES FINALLY. FUCKING YES.

Edit: Just caught the last few seconds of the promo on Boomerang. It's going to be airing on Boomerang UK on the 1st of June.