Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I have to admit, this is honestly the first episode in awhile that I haven't either hated, or been entirely indifferent too. This was a pretty good episode. We get some worldbuilding, characters are likeable, jokes are on the mark. Hell, I actually didn't hate Orbot and Cubot, and that's always an improvement.

Woah woah woah, look at that animation! I haven't been following the show recently because I've been finding it a bit drab, but if they keep up this quality of animation, I'll most likely go back to watching it for the novelty of a well animated Sonic series.

I think it's the same animation team that did the mind swap episode. The expressions are well animated just like that one..

When is the show airing in Europe?

It already is airing in the EU. The UK's had it since June

I dont have it....

It's on Boomerang UK every morning at 8am, and at 3pm

But Uk=/= Europe. The only countries that get Boom from Europe are France and UK.And my question was whan it airs on the rest of Europe...

But Uk=/= Europe. The only countries that get Boom from Europe are France and UK.And my question was whan it airs on the rest of Europe...

Well then you should have clarified your question. When you say ''When does it air in the EU'', that's basically saying does it air anywhere in the EU.

So, when is Boom released in the rest of Europe?

We don't know.

Wait, there's a hiatus? 

But I thought Next Top Villian airs next Saturday right?

Sorry for the mistake. Corrected it.

Edited by Ming Ming Yuigahama

I noticed a funny little goof in the episode "Beyond The Valley Of Cubots" 

At the beginning of the episode, when the mother walrus saw her baby in the tree, and once again shouts "my baby!", the funny thing is how that wasn't her baby from past episodes. It was instead just a kid walrus, but not a baby walrus. There have been 2 different kid walruses shown in the show. There's the baby walrus, and the kid walrus (as seen in episodes like Aim Low, and Dr Eggman's Tomato Sauce.) It's likely that the kid walrus is the mother walrus's son, but why did she call him her "baby", when it wasn't the baby walrus?

There was also that bit in 'Two good to be true' where they left Tails and Knux at his workshop to go rescue Alternate Dimension Knux, yet they got there in Tails' plane. I wonder if Sonic's also a pilot in Boomverse?

Anyway, you know what I'd like to see? Some variation in the weather. So far it's only rained once (overnight in 'Can an evil genuis...') and the only other time we know of is in the upcoming 'Cabin Fever' episode. We've had more meteor strikes so far than rain. We only saw the frozen area/snow in 1 episode I think. I'd just like to see a bit of variation every now and again, hot and sunny gets boring every single episode.

Oh lordy, 10 BOOM EPISODES (3 in which I’ve already seen but screw it)! And all shall be reviewed incredibly half-baked, can Soni maintain what little of his sanity after this review?

l9sU5U.gif

Well geh, thanks Sonic. -_-

Anyway, let’s get this show on the road with Chez Amy!

A pretty good episode, finally we get a solo Amy-focused episode. Fortress of Squalitude was more of an Eggman episode than Amy to be honest so finally seeing Amy being in the spotlight was great! Another episode showcasing Amy’s diverse artistic skills, yes cooking is an art haven’t you heard? Also this episode shows a flaw in her character that most people might not have realized at first, when Amy takes in a leadership role, she kind of lets that role get to her head and she can be pretty bossy which is reasonable and relatable since I’m sure most people can be like that as well or atleast know people who act like that.

Lots of great jokes here and yes, most of it is from Knux and Eggman. When Amy told Knux that his hat is on backwards, he instead turned around and is legitimately confused on where everyone was and Tails having to turn him around, it was sad, cute and hilarious at the same time. Eggman coaches Amy in ridiculing Dave and casually say he blew up Meh Burger is hilarious and speaking of Meh Burger, Dave is pretty funny here too. His “not give a shit” attitude is oodles of hilarity whether it’s not properly giving the right food to Amy or Eggman or constantly making his own breaks which pisses Eggman. Also I like how the episode had some light satire about fast-food gimmicks like drive-thrus and stupid collectable toys. Also we finally hear what Lady Goat sounds like and she sounds exactly a female goat sounds like, I think.

So yeah good episode to start off the marathon! NEXT!

Blue with Envy? But I already reviewed it before? Ok, so my thoughts on the episode have changed since then. It’s a good episode and I don’t hate Swifty now especially now knowing that Robbie Rist, the voice for Swifty, is responsible for playing as Mikey in the old live-action TMNT movies and is the composer for the Sharknado movies and VIDEO GAME?! WAIT WHAT?! Thank you Sonic Boom Commentaries for this nice tidbit.

Sonic is still main highlight and Eggman saying the old Disneyland catchphrase of, “It all started with a mouse” is quite clever of the writer. Can’t believe I forgot about the return of the Irritable Bowl Syndrome Fish Guy, guess we’re gonna see him whenever someone “smells something fishy” and again I forgot how amazing Dave was in this episode despite only making 2 quick appearances but they’re hilarious.

RADICAL SPEED ALL THE WAY DUDERINO BROGUYS!

Curse of the Cross-eyed Moose! Canada represent bruh! B)

The episode that first debut in Australia, if I recall correctly? But yeah, this was another good one.

An episode that kicks off with Sticks’ paranoia, it can work but I don’t think it’s done very well here, it’s a good episode but I think it would’ve been better if we actually saw what the curse could’ve done to Sonic and the gang but we didn’t see anything. I mean, I guess showing the precautions Sticks made  were more troublesome than the actual curse could’ve been funny as well but again, we didn’t see the actual curse in action, doesn’t make the episode bad but it’s kind of an issue. I also like Monkey-Guy, he’s a bitter marmoset but I find him likable maybe it helps that he half-heartedly decided to remove the curse and he has done many times and find people like Sticks to be pretty bothersome, so he has my empathy. I still like Sticks so I’m not holding any grudges either, except when it comes to Swifty. Stupid hip, urban lingo.

Some of my favorite jokes were during the montage of Sonic and the gang finding Monkey-Guy’s place with the old-school music, Knuckles acting surprisingly casual about sinking in a sand pit and Eggman appearance as usual.

Good episode but could’ve been written better in some aspects.

Chilidog Day Afternoon, if I ever had a fever dream, this is what it might look like. Talk about strange as all hell, the entire episode screams “Big Lipped Alligator Moment” but I LOVE IT!

It’s sweet that Knuckles finally has another episode about him even if it’s all just a dream…whoops spoilers.

Since most of the episode is a dream, it’s allowed to bring in a lot of wacky jokes. But before the dream, the jokes were already been brought whether it was the team hilariously building the stage, Sonic pressing on Amy…..that sounds wrong….., building with a banana holding the entire thing up, Knuckles eating wood, oh Knuckles you have some of the strangest eating habits I’ve seen, especially from me who ate paper and ants……yeah, forget what I just said…. Also Old Lady Wolf being a fraud is hilarious and willing to admit getting denied a pickup was called for.

But then came, the dream and we reach a whole new level of WTF! First, Knuckles constantly trying to climb the slippery steps, it’s something I would actually see SEGA Knuckles actually do since he is a hothead and is pretty stubborn so great stuff. But the fucking ducks man, that’s literally one of the best jokes I’ve ever seen in this show, I still laugh my ass off whenever that scene comes up! XD

Then came, the Pepper People and I love me some Scottish folk so they’re a big win for me and of course, who wouldn’t want to see Knuckles wear a kilt throwing peppers at his friends and Eggman. And it all ends with Knuckles breathing fire, burning Sonic and the gang and they laugh it off.

A really great episode, definitely in the top 10s for me!

Closed Door Policy? I’ve done this one as well. But yeah, I love this episode also in my top 10s. Great action scenes with some rocking music, great jokes and also introduces some great one-off characters like the Froglodites.

So let’s go straight into Mayor Knuckles! HOORAY MORE HILARIOUS ANTICS WITH KNUCKLES! And again, I am not disappointed!

Approving laws with a stamp sounds stupid and boring. Knuckles approving laws with a stamp is probably the most hilarious thing I’ve seen in the show yet and I SAW CHILIDOG DAY AFTERNOON! Wait, so did everyone else…..

Anyway, Knuckles is hilarious in this episode, he wasn’t even stupid in this episode but just doing his civic duty, pffffft “civic” XD. Mayor Fink and Admiral Beaverton just waiting for someone to get the plot going makes it pretty silly and self-aware, geez this show really is bringing in the satire nowadays. Eggman just want his garbage taken away being the cause of his latest attack is hilarious! And overall all the gags cause by Knuckles’ antics is great, whether it’s Lady Walrus’ refusal to walk because she had to pay taxes to build moving sidewalks is hilariously childish, Fastidious’ demand that books shouldn’t be read but kept in a neatly organized shelf is just sad and I don’t regret laughing at him except when Knux banned mayonnaise. Seriously, there are a lot of jokes in this episode that I can’t write them all.

Yet again, another great episode! So please take a number to wait for my next review….. or you could just scroll down.  

Eggman the Auteur, what is this?! Why are there already 4 great episodes in this marathon?! I call shenanigans! Eh, whatever this episode is great.

A movie episode written by Bill’s son with the return of the Enerbeam?! Count me in! And what an episode it is. I don’t recall a whole lot a episodes in shows that are about movies with the exception of Kirby Right Back At Ya with the animation episode and I liked that one but I feel this episode might be even better than that in some aspects, I certainly hope it’s one of the more better episodes on the trope since Boom has the best mindswap episode in cartoon history so it would be nice to see Boom having great episodes based on other tropes since Eggman the Auteur seems to be another great example.

Lots of nice jokes here as usual, Dave acting as q dumb Sonic and him being concerned about his enchiladas, I see what you did there Sam and I love it! Knuckles being Sonic’s stunt man and brutally beaten is hilarious as usual! Tails being a surprisingly good editor is a surprising skill he has and something I never expected from a tech geek but I guess since he is a great tinkerer, editing is kind of like the same thing so makes sense?

Overall, really great episode and another one in the top 10! You thought this the end? HA, you fell for the quadruple ruse! More Boom episodes, MORE!

Ah yes, Just a Guy, another “controversial” episode next to Into the Wilderness. I thought it was pretty good even if the villagers were pretty dickish to Sonic.

Like I can understand people getting real sick of the villagers not respecting Sonic’s heroics but I’m pretty sure if this is the last time we see the villagers behaving this sort of way and finally realized they do need Sonic, people might be ok with this so here’s hoping.

But what made me like the episode is yet again, the great jokes. Knuckles ruining a badass heroic moment, the Lightning Bolts’ sense of evil is hilariously childish and most importantly, the awesome live-action shot. It might not be Roger Craig Smith but I must know who’s the man behind the hedgehog mask, heck it even looks slightly better than Markiplier’s Sonic outfit, slightly. Also I liked Sonic’s rant because of course with the audience, Sonic is pretty sick of the villagers not giving him any thanks for his heroism and it makes sense. Also I was in stitches when Dave nearly sounded like he came when he said “Anarchy baby, WHO-HOH!” and when the Dolts got sheep’d.

So yeah, good episode and people might be overreacting a bit when it comes to the villagers.

Is it me or am I seeing double when it comes to Two Good to be True? I think I’m starting to lose my sanity now….

Yet again, a really good episode! So what I recall in the alternate dimension, Knuckles is the leader and is pretty charismatic, Sonic is bit of a ditz, Eggman wears a green outfit, Amy has a blatant crush on Knux and Dave is a technical badass. Sounds interesting enough, would be curious to see more of this universe in a future episode. So yeah, more Knuckles, more fun as I always say.

Good jokes is pretty a routine when it comes to this show so list the highlights, Alternate Sonic tries to save Knux while regular Sonic tries to save his chilidog, lol the priorities amongst the two. Sticks as usual goes with her stuff with being shocked by Alt Knux appearance and not trusting her alternate self. Eggman being pretty casual about a possibility of the dimension implosion is hilarious as per usual with Sticks keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t have any plans. Also that Fastidious Death Stare, genius!

Good jokes, nice interactions and hopefully a possibility of seeing an episode based on this alternate universe makes a pretty good episode.

And finally we got the last episode, Beyond the Valley of the Cubots!

Another really good episode, but the one thing I noticed is how smooth and stretchy the animation is in this episode not that I’m complaining that previous episodes were poorly animated, they got the job done but this episode just looks and moves really good!

I guess not seeing the different voices of the prototype Cubot models is a missed opportunity especially since Cubot having different voices was part of his debut but I’m not gonna complain. Tails again having a really close connection to his tools that rivals Lady Walrus’ baby is hilarious and the fact he’s actually gonna feed them ice cream cracks me up. Also really Sonic, the ol’ box trap? XD I know I’ve seen it in many shows but did any of them really worked? Doesn’t help that the 2 of them were, admittedly cute, sleeping on the job. Despite Orbot knowing that he’s the perfect model but instead let Cubot know he’s the perfect model, is quite sweet of him and really shows that despite his disdain of his stupidity, Orbot does consider Cubot as his best friend.

Yep, another really good episode and with that I’m done. Really impressed with these episodes and can’t wait for Next Top Villain, sounds like a certain Egghead might be involved along with a couple of returning villains. But until then, I’ll see you after my solitary confinement at the mental institute! See ya!

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, at this point with the "Boombomb" over and done with, I can safely say that I think Sonic Boom...is an alright show. Just alright, and little more. It's not nearly as terrible as I initially thought it would be--Sidekicks, Unlucky Knuckles and The Meteor are especially highlight-worthy--but, as a whole, it doesn't quite hold up as well as some of the other ongoing Cartoon Network shows like Steven Universe or The Amazing World of Gumball for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well comparing Boom with shows like Steven Universe isn't really a fair comparison since Boom doesn't have a whole lot of depth to it really, which isn't bad per say. I would even say the same with Gumball since that show is a lot more out of wack than Chilidog Day Afternoon was with characters made in different art styles, some CG, some are 2D hand-drawn and etc. I would say a good comparison for Boom would be Wander over Yander (which I haven't seen so do take this with a grain of salt) since both shows are comedies and while they do have those dramatic character moments, most of the time is the focus on the humor or in Boom's case, action as well.

While I do agree that Boom can't really compete with some of CN's best cartoons like Steven or Adventure Time, but I still find it to be a really good show especially after this Boom-athon, people complained that Boom hasn't been delivering on the action scenes when it intially started but now all the episodes that have aired has atleast 2 action scenes so I guess I can call Boom an action comedy now. 

The characters are very likable, it looks visually great though they still can't make liquids look good though, action scenes aplenty and overall, a really nice, laidback and pretty campy atmosphere that has a nice charm to it. Watching Boom is probably the modern equivalent to watching AoStH back at the day, if that helps putting things into perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Boom (Developement)    Robot Designer    Matt Chalk/ Jim Henson Creature Shop

http://rb-tw.sale94.com/name/nm0402908/resume?ref_=nm_ov_res

I had no idea the Jim Henson guys were involved in the show.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong. Was something back in 2000.

http://whisperpictures.com/people-3/igor-2/

Edited by Shadzter

Isn't that the second or third time somebody brought that pic in this thread and thought it was real?

That was confirmed fake weeks ago.

It's just a shot from "Guilt Tripping" with Shadow's leg superimposed in it.

Whoops i feel stupid now...

• Thumbs Up 1