Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I completely agree with you. The humans of Sonic Unleashed was extremely cartoon-ish for my taste, same with 06's humans.

I also want both humans and anthros as it gives more variety. But as of right now I get the feeling that it is only anthros. We've hust have to wait and see.

I give vote for Anthro/human population for Sonic Boom x)

Agreed and welcome to the Sonic Stadium!wink.png

I mean, I understand it's ultimately a kid's show/game so this stuff doesn't get addressed but... only one human? Really? That's just absurd unless Eggman was genetically-engineered or something.

If anything you'd think the heroes would be genetically engineered given their abilities; a majority-human world can make a lot of sense in this context. Looks like we're getting a predominantly furry world, however... I'd wish there was some brief exposition on the super abilities, but I doubt we'll see much of that.

However, I will say the 11 minute length could be quite lucrative. While short, it allows them to write episodes around plots that don't need a full 20+ minutes to tell. In the event they need more time to tell a story, I'm sure they could always do a Part I and Part II. Never mind how lucrative two-parters can be in drawing people to come back.

• Thumbs Up 1

You mean like this?

Thank you very much, Jovahexeon smile.png

EDIT: Why doesn't my replies quotes other peoples posts?! When I do push the quote button! xD

Just press the QUOTE button in the bottom right corner of the box containing whatever quote you wish to reply to.

Yes, like that. If my post doesn't show up as quoted right now, I think it maybe be some issues with my computer or something. I had problems with the Validation Email too.

as now I go off topic with my computer issues >.<

EDIT: ok, somethings wrong I think :/

Yanno, I think Burnbot could have been used like this:

Burnbot gets brought out, and Sonic and Eggman does the whole banter thing about his name. HOWEVER, Sonic then asks Eggman if he just deliberately makes the robot's name stupid so that Sonic can just burn them for having stupid names. Eggman and Sonic begin trash talking each other, while Burnbot looks back and forth in confusion. It then gets exasperated and grabs Sonic with its claws, and then chucks Sonic down the pit in the center towards the (lava???). Eggman regains his composure, says something along the lines of "THAT'S WHY HE'S CALLED BURNBOT! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING ROASTED HEDGEHOG TONIGHT!" or something like that. Then Tails swoops in and does the electric whip thing to save Sonic and allow for a rebound. Then stuff continues from that point.

• Thumbs Up 3

You bring up a good point. But seriously? does something like Super sonic really work in a western show with western ideas? I've been thinking hard on this and I dunno if that would really work. The west isn't really known for over powering something over and over. I mean Super man - tho yes he does get more powerful - is normally nerfed so they can write stories. I'm worrying over nothing but it was something I thought about....

Or they could just... you know, use him sparingly like the games and previous shows both always have? Super Sonic's always been "finale" material, I don't see why that would change just because the show is written by westerners.

• Thumbs Up 5

I expect the locations to be this:

1. Eggman's fortress in the desert area, or close. 
  2. The desert crevice. (The area we saw in the trailer.)
  3. The main hub town (that sunflower place we saw in the game, just not as detailed.)
  4. Ancient echidna ruins. (From concept art.)
  5. Sonic's beach house, or just a regular beach. (From a concept art I saw.)

Those are my guesses based on the budget of previous CGI shows, and what we've seen so far. It may be more or less, but we'll see.

Or they could just... you know, use him sparingly like the games and previous shows both always have? Super Sonic's always been "finale" material, I don't see why that would change just because the show is written by westerners.

True. I was just noting that Super Sonic has never been in a western cartoon. And that KINDOF worries me a little bit as it's untested waters. Sonic's been written all kinds of ways here, but not Super Sonic... And it could most likely be just me worrying over nothing so don't take what I say as fact or huge. It was just a small note is all. Kool artwork on your sig and ava btw. 

It would never happen but now I'm imagining them rolling with the "Super Sonic is dangerous" angle established by Fleetway.

Let's be honest, making Super Sonic a threat has interesting possibilities if nothing else, rather than him being the Deus Ex Machina.

Overall I'm interested to see how the show would handle Super Sonic... but I presume he won't appear until the season finale.

I mean, I understand it's ultimately a kid's show/game so this stuff doesn't get addressed but... only one human? Really? That's just absurd unless Eggman was genetically-engineered or something.

If anything you'd think the heroes would be genetically engineered given their abilities; a majority-human world can make a lot of sense in this context. Looks like we're getting a predominantly furry world, however... I'd wish there was some brief exposition on the super abilities, but I doubt we'll see much of that.

However, I will say the 11 minute length could be quite lucrative. While short, it allows them to write episodes around plots that don't need a full 20+ minutes to tell. In the event they need more time to tell a story, I'm sure they could always do a Part I and Part II. Never mind how lucrative two-parters can be in drawing people to come back.

Well, put it this way, do the heroes being the only of their kinds make sense? Why don't we see more of the larger anthro-animals?  It's the same sort of problem just inverted. Not that the criticism isn't valid, I find it a bit jarring either way, it just seems to be an oversight.

Simple. It implies that the animals are more or less superhuman by default, since you don't see any humans with remarkable abilities; Eggman's genius doesn't count since intelligence is a fairly common strength.

It would never happen but now I'm imagining them rolling with the "Super Sonic is dangerous" angle established by Fleetway.

Or maybe they could use the Dark (Super) Sonic concept from Sonic X and utilize it in better and much interesting ways. 

Now I realize what makes Sonic's running even more awkward in that trailer. He has no bounce; or just a very minimal one. There is no resistance from the ground.

I know the games do this too, but in the games Sonic will slowly build up speed with a normal walk cycle, before finally going into his no bounce speed. And these long legs just make it more garish.

When Sonic made the transition to 3D and was made taller, they changed his run cycle because it wouldn't have the same sense of speed it they kept the old way. Look at classic Sonic on the Saturn, and how slow his run cycle seems.

Thanks to improved graphics, they could capture the old effect in Generations, but Sonic's shortness helped a lot.

So I think this design needs a new run cycle.

Heh, when I think about it, I never realized how short modern Sonic is actually.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally I miss the spinning feet blur when he reaches top speed. Might be harder to do in CGI than in traditional, I have no idea. But his spinning legs/feet red blur was always iconic to me, happened all the time in the old games and old shows. Now we are lucky to see it. Apart from Lost World recently which was nice to see it make a come back. It always emphasized his super sonic speed to me. He runs so fast his feet blur.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep. Just as I thought. There will be no major continuity build in this show. It is a comedy show that uses action for the sake of getting a thrill. 

I can see this working like a road trip movie, where it's pretty much about the strange new situations that come each day. The only difference is it's on a tighter budget. 

The fact that this show is humor focused is fine by me. As long as it fully embraces itself while not going overboard, I think I'm going to love it. Going by the preview, I feel this will have a good mix of action and humor with appropriately sharp writing. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do with Sonic's expanded cast of characters later on. This is shaping up to what will probably be my favorite Sonic show, you can color me pumped! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

So the show isn't going to have continuity...what a shame. I was hoping they would do an Adventure Time type thing where each episode is its own story but character development and interaction stays in place. This is a bit of a letdown.

So if the world "resets" is it gunna be even less story driven in respect to characters just being there. No real back stories or extrapolation. Little bit disappointing. Guess people are expected to play the game for that, or just know the characters already.

Eh. This is something you just have to realize with most American cartoons. The "Status Quo is God" trope is something cartoons have employed for many, many years, and only recently have they started adapting a sense of continuity in some of their shows. Many writers just feel like they have more room for writing funny material when you can just ignore a continuity, and that it's easier for an audience to just latch on to any episode. And they do have a certain point. If a show ever gets too entrenched in continuity, you can really lose potential new audiences by scaring them away. On the other hand; shows like Adventure Time shows that you can still have a continuity and not alienate new audiences if you're just careful. But then again, I think these writers had a fairly strict deadline to get things done.

I feel like any game that comes after the first Sonic Boom game is going to act as the continuity of the show. After the show runs a full season, a new game is released to kickstart a new season with a new storyline that the show will follow up on.

All the same, I also feel like this show is going to become very cliche, very quickly. All storylines will follow a predictable structure to 80s-90s action-comedy cartoons, so this show is going to live and die on dialogue and character.

If there's no continuity, what's the point of a video game that "prequels" the series?

It also pretty much means that any other Sonic characters that appear won't have any baggage tied to them. There's no continuity at all, so there's no reason to ever bring up their backstory.

I hate this whole "no continuity" BS.

EDIT: And I'm not saying that the series should have long-winding plot arcs; I wasn't expecting that at all. I just anticipated that events from previous episodes matter in later ones. The games haven't always been consistent, but there is continuity.

I originally thought Sonic Boom would have negative continuity, and I hated that notion. Then the recent announcements seemed to indicate that there would be some continuity. Now I'm back to my "Sonic Boom looks like ****" phase.

Well, not quite. If the series is genuinely funny I might like it, and the game looks ok. Its really the game I think that looks good; the cartoon has never stopped bothering me, but the possibility of a continuity got me a bit more interested in it. Way to kill the mood.

If there's no continuity, what's the point of a video game that "prequels" the series?

To establish a premise, setting, characters?  To identify both arms of Boom as part of a single universe, thus encouraging cross-consuming and cross-purchasing from customers who like the one but wouldn't immediately have thought of engaging with the other?  To allow both to be marketed simultaneously rather than requiring vastly different promotional materials?

I agree that a total lack of continuity is pretty boring, and it would've been a vastly more interesting premise if the cartoon was telling some kind of a story even very slowly, if only to provide excuses for an occasional change of scenery or to encourage continual viewing from people who didn't necessarily get a good first impression.  It pretty much kills any chance I had of being interested in the cartoon.  But it was still a fairly sensible idea to tie the two series together.

• Thumbs Up 1