Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

That dance-off between Sonic and Eggman was the highlight of the episode for me.

And the gang minus Sonic (sorta) continue to be overly-mean jerks to Tails. Only this time it's over something as trivial as decorations. And they just love overusing the "Not cool, _____" don't they?

I don't see how Amy was being mean, she just pointed out how the decorations didn't decorate themselves, and just mentioned how Tail's invention did. If anything, it was just Sticks, Knuckles who kind of picked on Tails. Sonic was kind of the worst towards Tails, he was the one who said "way to ruin New Years, bud...

Tails was kind of a jerk though, making a joke out of Amy's misfortune, thanks to Sticks bugging Knuckles. They complimented Tails when he got the decorations up, once they defeated Eggman's ball bots, so how is that mean spirited?

I loved today's episode.  it was nice to finally see it in English. I liked how Sticks got less paranoid, and actually enjoyed the celebration towards the end. She really got into the spirit of things. Knuckles mistaking New Years for holidays that don't even exist in the show's world was funny. Does this mean we'll never get an Easter, Halloween, or Christmas special in a season 2 episode? I also loved Eggman's pole vaulting mishap, and the breakdance off. Next week is the boy band episode.

That episode was hilarious. I'm definitely convinced that I can see why the writers felt the season got better in the latter half because I'm seeing a lot of hilarity in this. Even more than in the first half.

I'm really hoping they push the boundaries of the first season when the inevitable second starts getting work done, because what we've gotten, even if it's pretty great, has definitely stayed in the safer end of the pool. By the time this show has been on for a year or two I hope to see it in the deep end with a rocket launcher for an arm and no floaties on it's balls. If that happens this could become my favorite series canon.

Wait, I thought Sticks hated cute, fuzzy, and adorable things?

maybe she was like:

ohh i found the dinner! XD hahah

• Thumbs Up 3

I am not sure this scene was strange or not, but I can only hear Mayor Fink's sound, shouting "ten", not the others behind him.

"New Year's Retribution"-this was a great epsiode in my opinion with plenty of laughs and antics from Dr. Eggman I never saw coming for the most part! I had seen this episode previously in French and I enjoyed it and laughed a lot while watching it. I enjoyed it and laughed even more so now that I was able to hear the dialogue in my maternal tongue! :P Especially with Knuckles mixing up and combining his holidays and Sonic and Dr. Eggman's competitions and that dance-off! :P

Getting right into some of the observations/highlights for Episode 38 (as there were a lot of them!):

JDKTbhq.jpg?2
Poor Tails! He can't catch a break with his inventions always going awry and his friends always giving him a hard time for it (that nonsense is getting old...)! Nice comforting gesture by Sonic there for his best friend after telling him he ruined the New Year I guess? Geez :( Anyway, I'm glad Tails shook it off and tried again with his invention and everything worked out just fine :)

qSxvrib.jpg?1
Party Time! Lots of familiar faces among the party guests! And Knuckles with the hot dog costume...hilarious! :D

BB0djXn.jpg?1
A bunch of familiar faces at the party including Soar the Eagle, the Photographer's assistant from Episode 6 (Fortress of Squalitude) and T.W. Barker! :)

g4vsYkt.jpg?2
Sonic and Dr. Eggman's final battle consists of a match of hopscotch and other games?! :D

Sonic and Dr. Eggman's competition bit definitely gave me some Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games vibes with:

the Pole Vault
FRSpdR9.png?1
Ol8TmLZ.png?2

and Table Tennis...
2ZykBWK.jpg?1
RepgkW2.jpg?2
Although Dr. Eggman didn't bust any tennis tables while playing in the video game! :P

v0teRzl.jpg?1
BINGO! :D

2jtCx4b.jpg?1
Dr. Eggman sure is a bad sport! :P

NMTRHlq.gif?1
oQKFBn7.gif?1
Dance Contest! The ultimate highlight of this episode with the moves and the dialogue! They are both really good too! :P

87XHi8b.jpg?2
And of course Dr. Eggman's plan fails yet again! Even though he was telling the truth no one was buying it as they didn't see it! :)

GyBGUjG.jpg?1
Dr. Eggman and Sonic bring in the new year sharing a laugh together. I thought that amicable moment between them was pretty sweet. Especially since they will be fighting in the next episode someway, somehow! ;)

So yes, "New Year's Retribution" was an episode that I enjoyed very much with plenty to look at with all of the cameos, everyone having fun and partying, the townspeople not being jerks, Knuckles silly antics throwing all of those holidays erroneously under New Years, Dr. Eggman and Sonic's hilarious and playful battle, Dr. Eggman's temper tantrums, Sonic having some good characterization by being a good sport by losing the dance contest on purpose so Dr. Eggman could win and the episode ending with a happy ending for everyone made this episode one that I believe stands as one of my favorite episodes overall as I enjoyed it that much in the both languages I saw and heard it in :) Looking forward to seeing what the next episode "Battle of the Boy Bands" is all about! :)

This post was so fun to make...

Edited by Kiah
Made an incorrect reference to Episode 5 instead of 6...fixed it :)
  • Thumbs Up 7

BB0djXn.jpg?1
A bunch of familiar faces at the party including Soar the Eagle, the Photographer's assistant from Episode 5 (Fortress of Squalitude) and T.W. Barker! :)

Wasn't Fortress of Squalitude in Episode 6?

Edited by Kiah
Please don't quote entire posts that are long as that brings unnecessary length to the post. Just quote the part you want to reference please. You were correct so I fixed the error, thanks :)

I am not sure this scene was strange or not, but I can only hear Mayor Fink's sound, shouting "ten", not the others behind him.

Maybe they were taking turns shouting out, and they all decided to shout out when it got closer towards zero?

Found new summaries for the new episodes :

- Battle of the Boy Bands (airs this Saturday, August 15th): The team’s girls crack completely for Justin Beaver, the new music idol, who is coached by a shady producer. At that point the boys set up their own boy band to learn more about what is going on. [Translated from: {x}] 
Tails’ Crush (airs Saturday, August 22nd): Tails gets advice, more or less happy (?), to approach Zooey, the girl he likes. [Translated from: {x}]
Bro Down Showdown (airs Saturday, August 29th): Knuckles and Sonic look after Amy’s house while she is away. They tell her that they will not do anything stupid during her absence. [Translated from: {x}]
Late Night Wars (airs Saturday, September 5th): The TV presenter (Comedy Chimp?) bemoans the ravages of time while Knuckles suddenly becomes famous after being photographed with a garbage can on the head.[Translated from: {x}] 

France will air two never-before-seen episodes as well: 

Question of Views: Tails’ workshop burns. Each member of the group, however, has a different story to explain what happened. [airs in France on Sunday, August 30th on Canal J) [Translated from: {x}]
It’s Not Me That’s the Other (There is a French movie by the same name -  “C'est pas moi c'est l'autre” - and its English title is named “The Cop, the Criminal and the Clown”, so perhaps this is what the translation meant?): Eggman’s lair gets broken into and everything seems to point at Sonic as being the infiltrator. (airs in France on Sunday, August 30th on Canal J) [Translated from: {x}]

• Thumbs Up 2

@NoirSuede

Thank you for posting more information about new episodes for us, but I'm not sure what kind of translate engine you used for.

The girls fall for Justin Beaver?

tenouttaten

But anyways, that's pretty clever, and I hope that wasn't the only parody in the episode.

Suddenly, I'm a whole lot less excited for Battle of the Bands.

Also, I can already tell that "It wasn't me, it was the other!" Is going to be a townspeople are assholes episode. That premise of the episode alone makes me feel like this'll be another episode of the townspeople acting like assholes to Sonic while giving Eggman the benefit of the doubt that he isn't lying for once.

Considering that Sonic has also broken into Eggman's lair multiple times to the point he now makes jokes about Sonic kicking down his lair door, so I don't see exactly how this is a good new premise for a episode when it happens nearly every other episode now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Suddenly, I'm a whole lot less excited for Battle of the Bands.

Also, I can already tell that "It wasn't me, it was the other!" Is going to be a townspeople are assholes episode. That premise of the episode alone makes me feel like this'll be another episode of the townspeople acting like assholes to Sonic while giving Eggman the benefit of the doubt that he isn't lying for once.

Considering that Sonic has also broken into Eggman's lair multiple times to the point he now makes jokes about Sonic kicking down his lair door, so I don't see exactly how this is a good new premise for a episode when it happens nearly every other episode now.

Tell that to the 1000000000000000000000 Tumblr/DA fangirls waiting for Sonic to sing and for Shadow to show up.

If Sonic Sings, then this show would be the Donkey Kong Country of Sonic. unless that title went to Sonic Underground, years ago.

If Sonic Sings, then this show would be the Donkey Kong Country of Sonic. unless that title went to Sonic Underground, years ago.

TBH, I actually wanted some songs sung by Characters in some episodes. Just like Adventure Time and Steven Universe, But with Comedy related songs. Sticks and Eggman could have had some pretty funny songs. But the show has already proven that no one can sing right in Sleeping Giant. But im sure Sonic can sing, Tails claims he has a pretty nice singing voice. LOL

TBH, I actually wanted some songs sung by Characters in some episodes. Just like Adventure Time and Steven Universe, But with Comedy related songs. Sticks and Eggman could have had some pretty funny songs. But the show has already proven that no one can sing right in Sleeping Giant. But im sure Sonic can sing, Tails claims he has a pretty nice singing voice. LOL

Pretty sure that's just Tails inflating Sonic's ego.

Lucky bastards. Cartoon Network don't have nearly enough love for the show compared to this. Come on, guys, massive hits means you gotta show it more often! Small hits means don't show it that much!

• Thumbs Up 1

https://youtu.be/l0OKXjsoiQw This had to be done. I do not regret making this edit. 

Are you sure you translated that right? There is no way? I thought Sega announced that the show would now stay at par with America?

Edited by SpongicX

They were right! Perci DID appear! I think Sonic has an average singing voice, and Tails's talk of him having a great singing voice is just him blowing hot air, and inflating Sonic's ego, because part of being a sidekick is being as big a suck-up as possible, maybe Out-Kirbying Kirby.

Also, there was NO Eggman in the episode!

Edited by YoshiAngemon