Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Battle Of The Boy Bands was an interesting episode. I loved how it had the guts to trash modern day music sensations. This episode felt very different compared to other episodes, it actually introduced some new character models to use in the show, instead of just relying on the same reused character models for the villagers. It made sense for them to do that, since they needed to make it look believable that Justin's music was mind washing a bunch of girls, and just having Amy, Sticks, Mama Walrus, and Goat Girl wouldn't have been very convincing for the plot's set up.  

I'm surprised Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles actually sang in this episode, even if it was pretty generic sounding, at least they were able to admit it in their lyrics. I was also surprised to see Perci finally make an appearance in the show, even if it was as a minor background character... Or many actually, there were multiple Perci's in the crowd during the last act, lol. I found it cute and funny to see Sonic and the guys getting annoyed by Amy and Sticks's fan girl outbursts and giggles. I find it funny how they made Justin Beaver sound like a girl as well, just like how the real Justin sounded years ago.  Also,  this is the first episode to not include Eggman at all? I guess Eggman doesn't steal the show in every episode after all. 

Edited by SpongicX

You know, I was half-expecting Eggman to be behind the whole thing, seeing as he appears in pretty much every other episode even when he doesn't have a major role, but he actually didn't show up at all. Well, not every day has to involve a battle against the evil scientist for Sonic and friends-- just every other day.

But one thing I wasn't expecting was Perci's appearance (even if it was a background role). Good episode all around, as usual.

Edited by SonicWind
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another character from Rise Of Lyric appeared in "Battle Of The Boy Bands" as well. Did anyone notice Salty the Hippo was Justin's bouncer?  

Edited by SpongicX

Alright, then, I thought "Battle of the Boy Bands" was...okay?

To keep things brief: It wasn't outright terrible, but it still left a fair bit to be desired. As nice as it was to see that Eggman didn't appear in an episode for once--I don't hate the guy, but I can't be the only one who thinks that it'd be boring as hell if he was responsible for every conflict in the show--the whole thing was as subtle as an anvil to the face and it didn't really benefit for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

About the villagers, it's not they challenge Sonic at all. I like this idea of Sonic's ideals actually being challenged. Sonic wants to help people and yet it sometimes gets made as thankless and arduous a job as possible. It actually shows some of the most frustrated and upset moments we usually get from Sonic, and yet he still goes through with it without question. That makes him pretty sympathetic and noble.

I think it's more the problem that's usually the only quality we get from the supporting cast, they don't have a lot of redeeming moments. It makes Sonic's dynamic less one of pros and cons to more just consistently cynical and a bit depressing, especially since they get away with it a lot of the time, thus negating him trying to maintain justice (seriously who doesn't want the Gogobas to get their head kicked in at least once?). It would be nice if some of the civilians got establishment that wasn't just negative and there to make things harder for Sonic, otherwise it borders as a Crapsack world.

Particularly as I think the attempt to make him "sympathetic an noble" seemed a bit heavyhanded as a result, like the episode set out to prove he was better then everyone else by having everyone be a douche to him.

Edited by Amomynous

I did like new years retribution though, Eggman was kind of sympathetic at wanting to beat Sonic at something, I find it interesting that Sonic appears to function normally when effected by the slow-ray, it shows he does process information at superspeed, or can if he has to.

One wonders why Eggman doesn't just rub his technical prowess in Sonic's face though, I guess even that gets old after a while.

BTW I can't find battle of the boybands anywhere.

Edited by Amomynous

My mouth was literally open for about 10 minutes when I saw perci.

It's too bad she was just a background character though..... now I just hope she and Shadow appear in future episodes

OMG, I don't know about you, But I think Battle of the Boy Bands is my Favorite episode of the series. The animation was great, The Voice Acting for Amy and Sticks. The Singing voices everyone had, Even some of the Video Game Characters appeared in the background. Its now my favorite episode.

Battle of the Boybands. Oh my god. I'm dead. That was brilliant XD Tumblr is a beautiful place to be this evening with all the gifs XD The guys were dancing like a Magical Boy Band and it was hilarious fun.

I'm impressed they all managed to stay in their character voices while singing, not every voice actor can manage to do that. Also, hi Perci and FemTails.

Edited by caitash

Perci and the Sailor hippo guy from RoL are...just there? I kinda expected at least Perci to have some relevance in an episode or something. Maybe this is like what happened with Mike the Ox, where they start out as just some background model that the writers find a use for later. Cause the TV series was produced first, right? RoL was something else before becoming a Boom game, if I remember correctly? Maybe they just took the character and ran with it on one team, but not the other? Or something?

France is also airing Cabin Fever (the one with Amy's story) that same day. So episodes 46 and 47 will be those episodes.

As for today's episode that was amazing. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as a boy band was hilarious. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Perci and the Sailor hippo guy from RoL are...just there? I kinda expected at least Perci to have some relevance in an episode or something. Maybe this is like what happened with Mike the Ox, where they start out as just some background model that the writers find a use for later. Cause the TV series was produced first, right? RoL was something else before becoming a Boom game, if I remember correctly? Maybe they just took the character and ran with it on one team, but not the other? Or something?

I suspect this is the result of episodes airing out of order, so there's likely an episode where Perci is introduced, but because of them airing a bit out of order they're airing episodes where they re-used her as a background character before the episode that introduces her.

Edited by caitash

I thought they'd fixed that, or something. Eh, whatever.

On a similar subject, that yellow girl...cat or fox or whatever...has she shown up in crowds before? She doesn't look familiar.

"Battle of the Boy Bands" is without a doubt one of my favorite episodes thus far, because it shows how to do satire correctly. The whole thing was a blatant Take That to spoiled teen celebrities and their rabid fans, and making a Beiber parody was the best choice since he's the posterboy for the trope. (And his fans are so crazy, they make us Sonic fans look tame!)

Not to mention we finally got to hear not just Sonic sing, but Tails and Knuckles, too! All three of their voice actors did a surprisingly great job! Sonic Underground, eat your heart out!

And although Eggman no longer holds the honor of being in every episode (only Sonic and Tails still do), it was great to see Perci and Salty make their TV debuts! Hopefully we get to see them (and the other Boom game exclusives, barring Lyric) more in the future!

Edited by Forte-Metallix
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, like I've said before, I really don't mind that Eggman doesn't show up in "Battle of the Boy Bands". I don't hate the guy, though he's still hardly my favorite version of the Doc, but admit it: it'd just get boring if he was responsible for every conflict in the damn show.

I think something's not right in Episode 39.

In front of a concert stage, I just saw...

... Two Percis & two lady goats!?

EDIT: Whoops! I forgot to read caitash's post. Sorry.

Edited by GreninJovan

When  I read the description for "Battle of the Boy Bands" earlier this week, I did not have a good feeling about this episode being good whatsoever. Boy was I wrong! I'd never thought I would say this ever in regards to the cartoon considering how much I enjoy him in Sonic Boom, but I did not mind Dr. Eggman's very first omission in the show although I found the omission very shocking with this just happening 39 episodes into the cartoon. The other characters provided plenty of entertainment and humor that made this a very good, funny, and enjoyable episode. Don't get me wrong as I really like the good ol' Doctor, but every once in a while it's nice to see a change of pace as far as villains go.

Going right into additional observations of this Eggman-less episode of Sonic Boom:

QG5mr61.png?1
Some of those images look hilarious and familiar! As noted with the red ovals, the pictures are from the comic book of Episode 31 ("Closed Door Policy") and the picture of the unicorns Amy hung in Dr. Eggman's lair in Episode 6 ("Fortress of Squalitude") :P

AJOBYIL.jpg?1

Everyone stepping away from Fastidious Beaver when Soar announced the "epidemic" of "Beaver Fever". Sticks looks like she was about to fight him if it was necessary for her to protect herself! :P

dJehDs2.jpg?1
First surprise appearance was Salty from Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Here he was Justin Beaver's bouncer. And there is the photographer from Episode 6! She was chasing Justin in the next scene taking pictures of him so does that make her Paparazzi? :P 

O2Tatc1.jpg?1
Sticks and Amy fangirling together. The guys aren't feeling it and the looks on their faces are hilarious! :D Also, looking at the plate on the table, did they have chili dogs for lunch? :P

Qw9V1p2.jpg?1
Surprise appearance #2 from Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric-Perci! :) And hiya, Sticks! :P

0rIVyc9.gif?1
I had to get a gif of Sonic, Knuckles and Tails' dance routine "with matching sequined outfits" SOMEWHERE in this take! :D

1DRBH3n.jpg?1

The Dreamboat Express' lyrics to the sing-off with the dance moves to go with it had me cracking up! :P

vjlikd9.jpg?1
And they are not impressed with Justin Beaver's side of the sing-off. Look at Tails' face! :D

fto6B2o.jpg?2
So we have another Sonic cartoon with Sonic having a guitar that can shoot things out of it...

uYm6b5t.jpg?2
Speaking of...Eat your heart out, Sonic Underground! Dudeitude! THAT's how you do a Sonic band-members and all! :)

Again, "Battle of the Boy Bands" was a great episode. From Amy and Sticks' fangirling to some surprising appearances to the musical performances of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles with everything in between, this episode provided plenty of laughs and entertainment that I enjoyed very much :) I'm very interested to see what "Tails' Crush" is all about come next week... 

EDIT: Looking at the episode again after I posted this I noticed Dr. Eggman in the first picture of this screenshot:

jfVRRQu.jpg?1
So Dr. Eggman was kinda totally indirectly part of this episode? ;)

Edited by Kiah
I found something else! :P
  • Thumbs Up 9

this episode was hilarious  i liked it so much! speaccialy because we got to hear Sonic's  singing voice.. and also Tails' and Knuckles'  XD  :)

-Amy's fangirling  screams... ughh... :(   it reminded the maddness screams when "Justin B." came to a concert  on my country.. <_<  ughh. XD

- Yay! Percy was in there! (And many other recolored Percies too XD ) good thing..

-i bet that the cute Fox girl is going to be at "Tails' crush" episode ;)

- when the guys were practicing their dance... the music remimded me Mario's sound when he eats the red mushroom :P

- THAT chasing music.. please noo....XD hahaha  they though that was funny?

-when Sonic and the guys are performing the Sonic Underground like concert.. is it just me? or the music sounds similar to a certain  "Red Hot Chili Peppers" theme?

i wanted to see more.. but anyway... i really liked the episode  no matter the mistakes;  the many mrs Walruses on the concert XD hahah i mean.. the goat girl and Perci and others where just randomly copied and pasted there and looked like some where not even colored.. .. that thing got me laughing so much XD ahaha nice episode.. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 5

-i bet that the cute Fox girl is going to be at "Tails' crush" episode ;)

Agreed. 10 bucks says this is Tails' Crush:

Qw9V1p2.jpg?1

Why? Well,

-New character model in the show (has really not happened at all up to this point, except for Perci, who'll obviously be a part of SOME plot)

-Strong resemblance to Tails (cartoons are always doing this for whatever reason when it comes to love interests)

So congrats shippers, you've got another thing to argue about. :P

Also, wow, that last episode was certainly...different. It felt like it really went all out, and away from the series' usual formula. There were new characters, a song, and it just felt like it had a different tone all together. 

Edited by Person
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I'ma need to brace myself before I rewatch this episode with my dad and sis to make sure I don't have a stroke.

It's not a bad episode, but what THE FUCK were the writers smoking? What even is this? Why would you make this? Who the hell voted for this, and how was it not a complete and utter disaster of an episode?

• Thumbs Up 1

This episode had the best facial expressions.Group11000129_zps9ecahuiq.jpgGroup17000123_zpsuozjiwfa.jpgGroup6000135_zpsvol4opqj.jpgGroup21000119_zps7xgosfbi.jpgGroup25000115_zpsl97elkew.jpgGroup26000114_zpsowx74umk.jpgGroup27000113_zpscto7zxpd.jpgGroup30000110_zps6atgp1pe.jpgGroup28000112_zpseqonfnmm.jpgGroup63000078_zpsmqnseqdm.jpgAmy32000007_zpsptu3jeoa.jpg 

Knux8000006_zpslhx5gffc.jpg

Amy, Sticks, and Knuckles had the best expressions in this episode. So many of them were just too cute, wacky, or funny.

Edited by SpongicX
  • Thumbs Up 3