Awoo.

Sonic Boom Screenshot Thread *page 6* "Don't Cross the Ender-Beams"

Badnik Mechanic

The graphics are decent - the environments themselves are of sufficient fidelity, but the problem is that both the character models and lighting are absolutely atrocious. Really hope they get fixed.

The graphics are decent - the environments themselves are of sufficient fidelity, but the problem is that both the character models and lighting are absolutely atrocious. Really hope they get fixed.

What's wrong with the lighting?

Looks gorgeous to me.

What's wrong with the lighting?

Looks gorgeous to me.

Looks decent in the video, but here?

SONIC%20BOOM%20VIDEO%20GAME%20-%2004%20T

SONIC%20BOOM%20VIDEO%20GAME%20-%2005%20A

It's hard to put into words, but just compare - 

1613_0004.jpg

Sonic_Unleashed_2D.jpg

The lighting seems very flat in the Boom images. Like there's no ambient occlusion or dynamic lighting going on. Unleashed looks a lot better in comparison. 

Edit - the gifs look nice though, so I'm guessing these stills are from an old build or something

• Thumbs Up 3

Reminded me of Sonic Heroes when Jez showed me the trailer. Also, don't forget that in most of these screenshots you'll be busy moving around and such, so you won't really be staring at the environments all that much, I assume anyway. Not that it's an excuse for them to be lazy. I know that we'll be buying it anyway, so I don't feel like I can complain all that much lol

This game reminds me so much of Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, really, and the lighting seems to be pretty good on those gifs, to the point where I'm wondering if the devs managed to get the Hedgehog Engine for this one. 

Also for those complaining about the models, let's just remember that this game will either launch with the series, which we don't even know when it'll be or will launch at the end of the year just like any other Sonic games, meaning they'll have more than enough time to take care of it... But dayum... Now I'm wondering... Who's going to compose the soundtracks?

• 2 weeks later...

World looks beautiful, which is a plus. Whether or not they incorporate elements of Sonic art style means little to me either way given I'm a Sony platformer guy anyway.

The arm coloration remains a bizarre complaint to me when we consider things. I haven't seen many animals who didn't have matching leg and fur color, or at least, who had such an abrupt color shift. The peach arms are weird on that reason alone if they're fur. But it's doubly weird if they're skin - that means he randomly shaves his arms. Making his arms definitely fur goes well with their slightly more realistic style they seem to be rolling with. His muzzle/belly can be peach or flesh now and either one would work given those are parts that can be lighter and/or fleshier on animals from my experience.

No idea about Amy's arms, but maybe it's some sort of fashion statement among hedgehog women? I certainly hope Boom will shed some light on the animal cultures, whether in the actual canon or by Word of God.

I'm very excited to see how the game will look in its' finished and polished state. When do any of you think we'll be getting the 'finished' screenshots for the game? Any time soon? As long as it fixes the clunkiness of the character's models and adds more life to them I'll be pleased.

I think I spy a ring counter.

i.imgur.com/8aS04jO.gif

It does look like a ring counter. I wouldn't be surprised since they are in (mostly) every Sonic game. The thing I'm more interested in is the little bubble next to it. It appears to show which character you are controlling (Sonic in this image) and on top is a smaller bubble. I can see some blue and yellow in there. What do you suppose that's for? Special moves perhaps?

The arm coloration remains a bizarre complaint to me when we consider things. I haven't seen many animals who didn't have matching leg and fur color, or at least, who had such an abrupt color shift. The peach arms are weird on that reason alone if they're fur. But it's doubly weird if they're skin - that means he randomly shaves his arms. Making his arms definitely fur goes well with their slightly more realistic style they seem to be rolling with. His muzzle/belly can be peach or flesh now and either one would work given those are parts that can be lighter and/or fleshier on animals from my experience.

Ok I get the peach/blue arms thing can be utterly subjective and up to taste but this reasoning for it is bullshit :P

hedgehog_stock_photo.jpg

If anything if we want to apply "real world logic" to our superfast cyclops hedgehogs he should've lost the peach belly instead.

Ok I get the peach/blue arms thing can be utterly subjective and up to taste but this reasoning for it is bullshit tongue.png

hedgehog_stock_photo.jpg

If anything if we want to apply "real world logic" to our superfast cyclops hedgehogs he should've lost the peach belly instead.

Sonic's belly has been implied to be fur, according to concept art for Sonic 06.

I think I spy a ring counter.

i.imgur.com/8aS04jO.gif

I wonder if that is a health counter a la Werehog.

Or special attack linked to your rings..

I think it's linked to the enerbeam or health. Rings in this game are more than likely going to function exclusively as currency and/or a way to restore health instead of anything that more resembles their original purpose.

From the requests of your eyes, I bring to you the beautiful concept art from the behind the scenes video.

Dammit, I was just coming here to post those myself! tongue.png Here they are in higher quality anyway:

Character art:

12778551835_66d4f384cd_o.png

12778551725_ba30ae029d_o.png

12778988474_e7379dedf1_o.png

12778549825_fc38df2526_o.png

12778549865_ed74e48ea4_o.png

World:

12778669853_462696a9c7_o.png

12778671143_3a386e5767_o.png

12778982784_8c96556af1_o.png

12778545005_9ab0191740_o.png

12778984614_c8a0b5f870_o.png