Awoo.

Sonic Boom Screenshot Thread *page 6* "Don't Cross the Ender-Beams"

Badnik Mechanic

What other choice did they have?

Allow Tails to do it.

Tails didn't actually mention that he had the know-how to shut the thing off and it's common sense that the person with the most expertise would be the one who built it.

But Tails is a genius, especially with machines, and Sonic knows it.

Well, yes, but the point still stands. It's well established that the characters share a similar dynamic, and there's absolutely no reason for Sonic to just blatantly ignore him like that. It's not even a case of him mishearing - he literally finishes his sentence for him after he shouts "Sonic, wait!" Why?

The reason is that he's cocky and impulsive.

But the delivery of all of that is so flat. There's no reason for him to simply wait two seconds for Tails to finish his sentence because Tails has always been the one to come up with the plans anyway. It's not good writing when this pivotal character flaw comes off as completely unnecessary and jarring. I'd be more forgiving of it if there was at least a little more detail about why he acted fast, like being seen by Eggman prompting a more immediate response or something. As it is, Lost World's entire script comes off as incredibly forced and Tails' character suffers for it.

I don't understand why you can't just take a character trait at face value. You need some special justification for it, instead of it simply being a part of how he is. It's not really making impulsiveness and cockiness a flaw if he's forced into action and just happens to choose wrong.

Allow Tails to do it.

-

But Tails is a genius, especially with machines, and Sonic knows it.

Right, both Tails and Eggman are geniuses. However, they've never actually worked with each others' radically different designs before. Again, it's common sense that Eggman would probably know more about his own machine then Tails would. Time was of the essence in this scenario, and they needed someone to quickly access the machine, know exactly how to operate it, and shut it off. The obvious choice for this would be Eggman.

The reason is that he's cocky and impulsive.

-

I don't understand why you can't just take a character trait at face value. You need some special justification for it, instead of it simply being a part of how he is. It's not really making impulsiveness and cockiness a flaw if he's forced into action and just happens to choose wrong.

Yes, because it comes off as forced and unnecessary. Sonic smashes things, yes, but he also always takes advice from his much smarter partner. There's literally no logical reason for him to blatantly ignore him in that one specific situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic smashes things, yes, but he also always takes advice from his much smarter partner. There's literally no logical reason for him to blatantly ignore him in that one specific situation.

Tails is tech savy...he is still capable in making bad decisions at times. Eggman is a supposed genius and gets trump by Sonic in mostly all the games that he stars in.

Tails is still and a kid and Sonic is a teen...and sometimes teens ignore little kids.

Right, both Tails and Eggman are geniuses. However, they've never actually worked with each others' radically different designs before. Again, it's common sense that Eggman would probably know more about his own machine then Tails would. Time was of the essence in this scenario, and they needed someone to quickly access the machine, know exactly how to operate it, and shut it off. The obvious choice for this would be Eggman.

Except, again, it's Eggman, the bad guy. I understand fully the argument for trusting Eggman; yes, he should know how to deal with his own machine, and he has chipped in before when the world's been in danger, and after fucking things up once Sonic doesn't want to risk fucking up again by turning him away. But just for a second look at it from Tails' perspective; he's a genius with machines, he's confident that he can take care of this (and as we see, he can), and he doesn't trust Eggman, because the few good things he's done don't offset all the times he's tried to kill them and take over the world. And then his hero is putting more faith in their worst enemy than in him, but he's supposed to just not care because "BEEP BOOP EMOTIONS ARE NOT LOGICAL"?

Yes, because it comes off as forced and unnecessary. Sonic smashes things, yes, but he also always takes advice from his much smarter partner. There's literally no logical reason for him to blatantly ignore him in that one specific situation.

How logical are character flaws supposed to be? He got cocky, he got impatient, he did something showy without thinking things through, that is the flaw, how is that supposed to exist if you can't allow him to do something that is not ideal?

I can't believe some people are actually complaining that the main characters aren't all Mary Sues who nothing ever goes wrong for. God forbid our characters have flaws, because that might lead to *gasp* conflict.

• Thumbs Up 3

Except, again, it's Eggman, the bad guy. I understand fully the argument for trusting Eggman; yes, he should know how to deal with his own machine, and he has chipped in before when the world's been in danger, and after fucking things up once Sonic doesn't want to risk fucking up again by turning him away. But just for a second look at it from Tails' perspective; he's a genius with machines, he's confident that he can take care of this (and as we see, he can), and he doesn't trust Eggman, because the few good things he's done don't offset all the times he's tried to kill them and take over the world. And then his hero is putting more faith in their worst enemy than in him, but he's supposed to just not care because "BEEP BOOP EMOTIONS ARE NOT LOGICAL"?

Under the circumstances, it didn't really matter what Tails thought of Dr. Eggman. As far as they knew, the Extractor was something way out of Tails' league (the kid is good with machines, but he isn't Eggman-tier), and it was only near the end of the game that we learned it wasn't. And if Tails really didn't want to work with his nemesis, he could have just pulled Sonic aside to discuss the matter. He didn't have to publicly accuse Sonic of trusting Eggman more, or try to prove that he could handle Eggman's machines by merging Cubot with a badnik. Ultimately it was just unnecessary conflict for the sake of conflict, and made Tails seem more like an egotistical, whiny brat than anything else. I don't want Tails to be a sycophantic yes-man by any means, but Lost World's TINO went too far in the other direction.

I can't believe some people are actually complaining that the main characters aren't all Mary Sues who nothing ever goes wrong for. God forbid our characters have flaws, because that might lead to *gasp* conflict.

Oh for fuck's sake...

No one in this topic or on this forum is insisting that there be no conflict between characters. No one is insisting that characters should eternally act like pally care bears who never have differences. No one is saying that Tails should act like Sonic's eternal bootlick.

In fact the only thing I've ever seen people complain about regarding Tails' behavior in SLW is how arbitrary and abrupt it is and that is a perfectly legitimate complaint and opinion.

Morphing it into something it isn't is just fucking insulting and a complete mockery of what people are actually thinking and saying.

• Thumbs Up 6

Under the circumstances, it didn't really matter what Tails thought of Dr. Eggman. As far as they knew, the Extractor was something way out of Tails' league (the kid is good with machines, but he isn't Eggman-tier), and it was only near the end of the game that we learned it wasn't.

Except, there wasn't any indication that it was out of his league. Sonic may have assumed it, or he may have just thought that two geniuses is better than one, but Tails at least was pretty confident that he could handle it, and he was right.

And if Tails really didn't want to work with his nemesis, he could have just pulled Sonic aside to discuss the matter. He didn't have to publicly accuse Sonic of trusting Eggman more, or try to prove that he could handle Eggman's machines by merging Cubot with a badnik. Ultimately it was just unnecessary conflict for the sake of conflict, and made Tails seem more like an egotistical, whiny brat than anything else. I don't want Tails to be a sycophantic yes-man by any means, but Lost World's TINO went too far in the other direction.

See this is the thing, this is the mistake. "Should" Tails have calmly talked through his feelings with Sonic? Yes, that likely would have allowed them to solve the problem with a minimum of drama and hurt feelings. But that doesn't make for an interesting story, and it doesn't make for interesting characters. People, real people, do the "wrong" thing all the time because we're stupid, emotional, irrational creatures. We don't always talk things out. We bottle our emotions up, we end up snapping at people who maybe don't deserve it. Sometimes we hurt people without realizing it and we don't know what to do about it. 

And we need that in our characters, too. We parse everything through our fucked up, illogical human nature. And for a character to endure, for a character to feel real and human, they need to connect with our fucked up nature, they need to reflect our flaws, just the same as they reflect our successes. A character not acting perfectly logically isn't necessarily bad writing; it can be just the opposite, it can enhance them, it can make them more real, more vivid, more honest.

That's why I get so frustrated with this. Because for the first time in a long time they're actually trying to make these characters human, not just marketable archetypes, not just pawns in service of a "clever" story. Even with the story's flaws this is something that deserves to be acknowledged, but all I ever seem to hear is complaints that the characters act stupid, or like jerks, or "out of character".

• Thumbs Up 9

Hey, guys. Sonic Boom. Looks pretty cool so far right? heh, I almost forgot this was a Sonic Boom topic.

Regarding Boom! After seeing that the mach speed section was control-able I'm thinking that the Spin dash is indeed a spin dash. I know "how many times can you discuss this?" But I really wanna see Boom have a spindash.... really  D : really badly.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Yeah, the graphics look fine to me. I didnt really get what people meant when the graphics suddenly look bad

Wow, those models look really nice now! Couple that with good animation, and that's some really good work on the characters right there. The voice acting seems good to me too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really love the way this game animates- the screenshots don't do it justice at all. I just wish the game had a little bit more color to it. The show seems colorful, and so does the 3DS game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles <3

MagnificentCreature.jpg

Say whatever you want. I like his design and damn he just looks so cool. That screenshot in particular is all kinds of love.

Yeah, I agree. He's really... Photogenic~

photogenic_knuckles_by_sweecrue-d7ku6k1.

photogenic_knuckles_2_by_sweecrue-d7ku6k

• Thumbs Up 7

One more for Rise of Lyric

tumblr_n6l1xmZOgI1rfrbz3o4_1280.jpg

And some for Shattered Crystal (smaller, but it's better this way)

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o1_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o2_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o3_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o4_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o5_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o6_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o7_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o8_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o9_500.png

tumblr_n6l2121AmI1rfrbz3o10_500.png

Maybe they'll look better on the 3DS screen and the 3DS screen only

Yeah, the graphics look fine to me. I didnt really get what people meant when the graphics suddenly look bad

The characters actually look decent but the enviroment it...

Everything looks like basic shapes with pictures just painted on. Meaning all the little cracks in the floor and other objects are being treated like they were just as flat as the ground next to it,no depth no light.

sonicboom would be the left what sonic boom needs on the right

bumpdotp3.jpg

comparisonbumpmap.jpg

All the enviromental lighting is very binary its just" here is lit here is not".

You have knuckles in this really green area but none of that greenness is affecting him and the floor doesnt give two shits about his bright red body or green shoes that should be affecting its color.

He just lit by sunlight and nothing else. Another example when the player is shooting this bright pink glowing enerbeam the light is in no way affecting the ground thats like a 30cm away 

Look at the bumps,edged and reflections of the golden robot then loook at the ground it has this bright shiny yellow robot ontop it but its color isnt affected in the slightest.

SUmmary:The entire enviroment looks devoid of bumpmapping , global illumination and has low quality textures and models.

I can think of reasons they dont have it but that doesnt make it look any better.

• Thumbs Up 1

The characters actually look decent but the enviroment it...

Everything looks like basic shapes with pictures just painted on. Meaning all the little cracks in the floor and other objects are being treated like they were just as flat as the ground next to it,no depth no light.

sonicboom would be the left what sonic boom needs on the right

bumpdotp3.jpg

comparisonbumpmap.jpg

Genius Jargon..

I was about to say there is some delicious detail within a nondescript art direction but you may have hit the nail on the head.

It feels blah or bland like I really can't care for it..

I think Rise Of Lyric is probably just missing it's lighting engine. It's probably a dev build or something.

I love the retro throwback style. It's like I'm using an 8800GT all over again. I especially like the jaggies, it reminds me of when I played games on lowish settings, and I heard the framerate completes the experience.

• Thumbs Up 2