Awoo.

Plot and Story Speculation Thread

Indigo Rush

I'm actually thinking that this big "new" villain will actually be the Deadly Six but re-vamped.

Still convinced the first line in the trailer is said by Travis Willingham rather than Roger Craig Smith. The tone and way he emphasis his words doesn't sound like Roger Craig Smith's Sonic to me. I mean, nothing like it. 

The second voice actor sounds nothing like him too. I'm gonna work on the assumption that it's Knuckles having a dialogue with the game's antagonist (who may or may not be an echidna?).

The first voice is obviously Sonic. How can you not hear that? And in what way does it sound anything like Knuckles?

I'm actually thinking that this big "new" villain will actually be the Deadly Six but re-vamped.

Why would you think that. Nothing points toward that. Especially since this has nothing to do with that universe.

The Deadly Six are most likely one-off villains.

• Thumbs Up 1

To quote one of my youtube comments on GameXplain's Sonic Boom Discussion video:

"My theory is that this is basically the megaman x of the series, it takes place many years after the current continuity, the characters are all older, and sonic managed to grow fur on his arm. I also think that the game/show takes place after a big war or battle, which is why most of them have bandages on.

Also the fact that each animal ages differently, that could explain how sonic and amy look like they grew a little, knuckles grew alot, and tails hardly grew at all."

Or it's just different style and isn't an alternate future of the main continuity.

Seriously, the more people I hear use the MMX comparison, the less obvious it is anything like what MMX was and it's (albeit loose) connection to Classic MM. Yes, they were two separate series being made simultaneously by Capcom, but  the difference here is that MMX is an actual 'one century later' story while we've been told Sonic Boom, game and TV show, have no bearing on the main continuity.

It's less like MMX and more of having another Western Sonic brand. The other being Archie.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of trailer voices, "what exactly is this place" is blatantly Sonic. I can't believe it's even a subject of disagreement considering how clear it is. The "this is paradise"one though actually sounds more like Shadow than Knuckles somehow, but that could easily be because we've yet to hear Knuckles current voice speaking in such a way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that with the whole alternate universe thing and having the same voicecast they could pretty easily pull of a crossover with the mainstream universe which could make some HILARIOUS dialogue between the characters, It's also HIGHLY unlikely that they'll cut Super Sonic from BOOM, heck...we might even see Hyper Knuckles, and last but not least Shadow and Silver, I guess they could have Shadow appearing as a mysterious recurring character and slowly build up to an adventure 2 type story, I think despite Silver is unlikely to appear in the series they could do a LOT of funny stuff they could do with him Eg: Silver constantly trying not to change the past to much, Silver fixing his future one way only to screw it up in another, Silver's constant screw ups when it comes to knowing who's the bad guy, HAVING TELEKINESES NEVER LOOSES IT'S NOVELTY XD

Yeah, "This is paradise" definitely sounds more like Shadow to me, and since I think the statue looks more like a hedgehog rather than an echidna...

The "This is Paradise" line was blatantly Knuckles to me from the first time I heard it. I'm replaying the line in my head over and over and it is DEFINITELY Knuckles and CERTAINLY not Kirk Thornton.  

It's definitely sonic and knuckles speaking in the trailer, go listen to the actors other voice roles and you'll be able to tell who is who. They haven't even changed the voice direction that much either.

Sticking on topic, it feels like its going the chronicles route, especially with a newly discovered world and mysterious ancient races. Would like it if they expanded on knuckles' history again. Though if the inclusion of marine is true, might be another dimension hopping adventure.

Yeah, "This is paradise" definitely sounds more like Shadow to me, and since I think the statue looks more like a hedgehog rather than an echidna...

Um... no, its definitely an echidna. I have no idea where you get that. I played that line about five times and still thought it was Kirk Thornton, though; it wasn't until I directly compared it to Shadow's previous Kirk Thornton lines I realized it wasn't him.

Given that the Sonic universe already has time-travel and multiple possible futures, then any need to handwave Boom's relation to Modern canon can be achieved simply by calling it an alternative timeline (which is basically what it is anyway).  Assuming it's a success - or that it gets pushed through to multiple games, anyway - I wouldn't be surprised by some kind of crossover in one of the franchise's various media arms (games, cartoon, comics).

I also wouldn't be surprised if they completely ousted Super Sonic, as he's a really cartoony element.  If not, they'd probably revamp him and his connection to Sonic completely, quite possibly give him a different name - explain it as an awakening of his race's ancestral power or something after some discovery in the ruins.  But I genuinely don't expect Super Sonic to be in.

As to what the plot is about... ancient technologically-advanced civilisation lies in ruins, its ancient people are sleeping but are awakened by our bumbling heroes, and now they want to use their ability to reclaim their exalted position as rulers of the world.  Standard stuff.

I think that with the whole alternate universe thing and having the same voicecast they could pretty easily pull of a crossover with the mainstream universe which could make some HILARIOUS dialogue between the characters.

Oh lord, I can only imagine how Mainstream!Knuckles would react when he meets Buffles.

What if. Just what if that was a hedgehog statue and that WAS Kirk Thorton. Because I clearly hear a Knuckles scream when they're falling but when he says "this is paradise" sounda like Travis changed voices oooor Kirk voices someone in game. Maybe redesigned Shadow to at first be a villain? Idk random theory.

What if. Just what if that was a hedgehog statue and that WAS Kirk Thorton. Because I clearly hear a Knuckles scream when they're falling but when he says "this is paradise" sounda like Travis changed voices oooor Kirk voices someone in game. Maybe redesigned Shadow to at first be a villain? Idk random theory.

That statue is an echidna, period. I never doubted the statue myself personally. And I wouldn't mind Shadow being a recurring antagonist. But at this point I don't think it was Shadow and it doesn't fit the context.

Echidna or not, I'm pretty sure it's Travis Willingham. Listen to some of his roles on Behind the VA, especially Roy Mustang and Thor. They're quite similar, and the guy has serious range. The trailer was very focused on the four main characters. It would be weird for them to casually use another characters voice in it when they easily could have found a main one to for the bill.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Travis-Willingham/

Echidna or not, I'm pretty sure it's Travis Willingham. Listen to some of his roles on Behind the VA, especially Roy Mustang and Thor. They're quite similar, and the guy has serious range. The trailer was very focused on the four main characters. It would be weird for them to casually use another characters voice in it when they easily could have found a main one to for the bill.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Travis-Willingham/

I tried looking up a deeper voice for him and I couldn't find something like this one. Thor and Roy Mustang didn't sound that deep by comparison, but I'm confident its him at this point.

Was this brought up yet?

The story will revolve around an “ancient enemy” bent on destroying the world.

Franchise antagonist Dr. Eggman will play a part in the game “as you’ve never seen him before,” says Rafei.

We already knew Eggman would be appearing in some capacity, but this is the first I've read of who the main villain is going to be. Also, do yourself a favour and don't read the rest of the article. It's written by someone who doesn't have the foggiest about the series.

And [sonic's] girlfriend Amy carries a big honkin’ hammer with her everywhere these days.

lol

Was this brought up yet?

We already knew Eggman would be appearing in some capacity, but this is the first I've read of who the main villain is going to be. Also, do yourself a favour and don't read the rest of the article. It's written by someone who doesn't have the foggiest about the series.

lol

I'm pretty sure I heard the notion that the new antagonist is some sort of "ancient enemy." I don't recall the part about him being out to destroy the world, but eh. The only interesting thing I know of revealed here is Eggman; the trailer did not seem to show Eggman appearing in the game at all, he only appeared in the TV series trailer. I don't recall any articles mentioning him appearing in the game, either, so I was curious as to if he would be absent from the game. Seems that won't be the case and he will appear, though.

He was definitely mentioned in an article here or there. We did know there'd be another villain, though IIRC we didn't yet know that they were something ancient (the trailer mentions an ancient land) or what they were trying to do.

Now what they mean by Eggman being portrayed in role like we've never seen him before. That's the part that intrigues me. 

Now what they mean by Eggman being portrayed in role like we've never seen him before. That's the part that intrigues me. 

He'll be the Damsel in Distress.

Will Sonic and friends be able to save Princess Eggman from the clutches of this ancient evil?! Stay tuned for more.

• Thumbs Up 4

He'll be the Damsel in Distress.

Will Sonic and friends be able to save Princess Eggman from the clutches of this ancient evil?! Stay tuned for more.

Nah, he was already that in Heroes.

They couldn't mean ally since that's happened plenty of times, heck just last game it was emphasized upon.

Maybe he'll be the Starscream of this picture.

Or maybe Eggman will find a way to screw the "ancient enemy" over in the end so that he can be the final boss. I'm hoping for this kind of scenario to play out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, I'm kinda over Eggman being 2nd fiddle to some "ancient evil". Or even the fake "surprise" of him being final boss after said evil is dispatched. Colours and Generations had him in charge, in control of whatever he was using, and they worked well, were also very well received, as were the classics where him and his inventions were the major threat.

I understand why they do it, mixing it up, keeping people from being bored, but it really doesn't do much for his character or position as the big bad of the series to always be problem no 2 instead of the main issue at hand. He can be nasty, his inventions can be killer and devastating, but instead its, awake ancient evil, lose control, end up needing help or hide in background, Sonic defeats evil, pop out with some boss robot or something and go this was my plan all along *cough cough*, profit?