Awoo.

Plot and Story Speculation Thread

Indigo Rush

Ugh, I'm kinda over Eggman being 2nd fiddle to some "ancient evil". Or even the fake "surprise" of him being final boss after said evil is dispatched. Colours and Generations had him in charge, in control of whatever he was using, and they worked well, were also very well received, as were the classics where him and his inventions were the major threat.

I understand why they do it, mixing it up, keeping people from being bored, but it really doesn't do much for his character or position as the big bad of the series to always be problem no 2 instead of the main issue at hand. He can be nasty, his inventions can be killer and devastating, but instead its, awake ancient evil, lose control, end up needing help or hide in background, Sonic defeats evil, pop out with some boss robot or something and go this was my plan all along *cough cough*, profit?

Not everyone is as pathetically awful at writing scenarios as Sonic Team. :P

Jak & Daxter had a pretty great story throughout the trilogy. The second game has a few really huge plot twists that affect the way you see the series as a whole, villains and side-characters throughout each game get more and less prominence at specific points in the story, and so on. They did a good job of balancing characters and keeping tension high all throughout, and by the end of Jak 3 you finally get all the info to see a much larger overarching story for the whole trilogy. 

Why do we have to choose between "Eggman is a dumbass" and "Eggman is not a dumbass"? Why not have several competent villains with their own motivations and methods?

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmmm...

As far as Eggman's role goes with the new information we have, I'm not sure if this is quite different enough to roles he's played in past games, but: He disturbs the ancient enemy, the ancient enemy captures him and exploits him for his mechanical expertise and knowledge of the world as it stands today, and intend to use his abilities as a tool to assist them in taking over the world.  So, a bit like Lost World if the Deadly Six didn't just try to kill Eggman right off the bat.

Or, alternatively, and this is different - Eggman recognises he's way out of his league and decides to play the role of the deceptive advisor, pretending to help while subtly manipulating this foe into a position where they can be defeated or hijacked by himself.  What makes this different is that it requires Eggman to be a lot subtler, even sinister, willing to restrain his most insane impulses - willing to play the role of second-in-command while scheming from within.  He never does this, but if he were to set himself up as the scientific advisor to some terrible ancient people, that would be a very interesting position for him to be in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't the second one turn him into Snivley in effect? Would be interesting if the whole "Sonic Boom" story draft from Sonic X-Treme came into play somehow. Tho that would require the Chaos Emeralds or something similar for the evil entities to emerge from, something Eggman was toying with. Doesn't look like Tails and Knux are gunna be kidnapped tho haha. Or if Senn managed to squeeze some stuff in like a Tiara NPC or the "Space Queens" music track.

Story or otherwise, it will be interesting to see Chris Senn's influence on this game. I don't suppose he thought that he'd ever be in a position to work on a Sonic game again. Any number of things that he thought about for X-Treme could find there way in.

Hmm, an interesting idea, perhaps Eggman himself is the said villain, but rather a monstruous transformation and/or a split personality of the Doctor.

@Jovahexeon; That would been kinda cool actually. "as you never seen Eggman before". Your idea kinda fits that description.  

Hope we get more info tomorrow at the Nintendo Direct...probably not...

On a similar note...I heard somewhere that the ancient villian is an redesigned returning villian from the Sonic Series. Is this true?

If this wasn't mentioned in none of the interviews or Sega blogs, then it's probably fake. Just noticed someone said that this  ancient main villian was redesigned, so he/she though it ment that the villian is a previous baddy, but changed.

That would be interesting...but I think they mentioned in one of the video interviews it was a new villain. Then in the preview write ups they are saying its some kinda "ancient evil". If the story does end up with some Echidna or Knuckles centric stuff it would be interesting to see a redesigned Ix tho.

Then again old assclown would probably raise a stink about Sega ripping off his stuff again >.<

• Thumbs Up 1

On a similar note...I heard somewhere that the ancient villian is an redesigned returning villian from the Sonic Series. Is this true?

If this wasn't mentioned in none of the interviews or Sega blogs, then it's probably fake. Just noticed someone said that this  ancient main villian was redesigned, so he/she though it ment that the villian is a previous baddy, but changed.

Any recollection of where you heard this from? 'Cause it certainly fits into my Deadly Six Return theory.

A redesign of the Deadly Six after only one year is a tad too soon. I'd like to think this redesigned villain is someone from further down in the franchise history.

A redesign of the Deadly Six after only one year is a tad too soon. I'd like to think this redesigned villain is someone from further down in the franchise history.

Mephiles/Solaris/Iblis! GOOD LORD NO!

Pretty certain that there is no redesigned villain. I've been keeping up with all the articles possible and have seen no mention of such a thing.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't someone new, honestly.

Though I guess it could be Pachacamac or some other echidna dude.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could maybe see it being an old character being touted as "new" simply because we haven't seen them in a decade+. I think it's more likely to be a brand new face, though.

Kinda hopin' for a female villain because the franchise needs 1) more female characters and 2) more villains so, you know. Just doing some math here.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's definitely about time we had a major female villain. I mean, so far we've had Witchcart, who was in a super minor spinoff, Merlina, who was in a more important spinoff but was super specific to it and can't ever really be used again, and Zeena, who was in a main game but was basically just a minion. I guess it's not really important as long as whatever we get is good, but some variety on that front would be nice.

(aside: Chaos totally should've been a girl, being a shameless knockoff of Biollante and all)

Either way, I'd be pretty surprised if the Boom game's villain was a returning character, and I can't possibly imagine that they'd use anyone as recent as the Deadly Six. They're clearly very adamant about wanting to differentiate Boom from Sonic Team's stuff, and I can't think of a better way to undercut that goal than to reuse villains that Sonic Team just finished with, especially since they made such a big deal out of them in Lost World's marketing.

I could maybe see a somewhat older villain like Black Doom, Mephiles, Iblis or Dark Gaia being worked into Boom somehow, maybe in a second game or as a one-off threat in the cartoon, but they'd probably only be similar in name and extremely broad details (killer alien, darkness monster, fire monster, other darkness monster) and almost nothing else.

...like, there could be an episode where somebody finds a magic lamp and they do a bunch of jokes about wishes, and the lamp genie is called Erazor Djinn and maybe looks vaguely like him but is otherwise not really similar. That's about the most I'm expecting.

• Thumbs Up 1

It amazes me how many people say old villain and then say Dark Gaia or Mephiles/Iblis. They are all fairly recent really. 2006, 2008 are not really what I would call old baddies. Only last gen in terms of systems.

How about Witchcart like you said Octarine, or Nack the Weasel, Bark the Polar Bear, Bean the Dynamite, Mecha Sonic (instead of Metal). Or have a twist and make Mighty the Armadillo an evil twisted villain. Or the Battle Bird Armada even.

Those are what I would call old. But as has been raised Sonic lacks baddies badly. Recurring ones anyway. And most of the ones they come up with for individual games are very reliant on the story or setting of the game they appear in. Most couldn't make a come back without it being weird. With the exception of the anthro's which could be used in almost anything yet they choose to leave them in the bar looking in newspapers for jobs >.<

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to see the Battle Bird Armada return in some capacity, either in Sonic Team's games or here, but they're probably not Boom's "ancient enemy" in any case. Pretty much any past villain that would even stand a chance of maybe being that character is going to be from after Adventure, since that's pretty much when ancient enemies in Sonic started being a thing.

The big problem with a lot of the much-older villains is that they're mostly from pretty obscure spinoffs that the Boom staff might not even be aware of; or if they are, they might not think those villains have enough name recognition to be worth bringing back instead of just doing something new. Fang's notorious enough that maybe that could get off the ground, but I have trouble imagining anyone else working their way into Boom unless somebody at BRB (or working on the show) is a humongous Sonic dweeb.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jovahexeon;

(Hate that I can't quote here for some reason.)

It was an journal entry on Deviantart that someone said. I tried searching it up again, but now it's gone.

I don't think the user had any links or source to the anicent villian being a redesigned old character/villian. So he/she probably misunderstood the whole thing. Though some of the comments though this was true too.

I'm have a doubt that it is true. I think it is a completely new villian.

EDIT:

Forget it, I found the journal xD

But the user links to SonicStadium and the PNM interview on youtube.

Quoted from the DA user:

"They will introduce a "villian" later, and it's not Eggman! It's probably someone we already know since it was mentioned that this vililans design had been changed"

and also a another DA User on a different journal also says this, that Sega said that it will be a returning Final baddy besides Eggman from the past.

But it's just two People so far I seen saying that the PNM interview says this...I will check the interview myself to be sure, if they really says this or not.

EDIT AGAIN

So I checked the Whole PNM interview. and they didn't say anything about a old villian from the past. They only said... "The slight peak of Eggman's design and the villian that we're going to choose later".

I really don't see where some people on DA is getting the old returning villian thing from on this interview...

I can't even copy and paste in any links in my posts :'(  

It's probably my computers fault. It's been acting weird since I got it fixed for a virus.

I'd love to see the Battle Bird Armada return in some capacity, either in Sonic Team's games or here, but they're probably not Boom's "ancient enemy" in any case. Pretty much any past villain that would even stand a chance of maybe being that character is going to be from after Adventure, since that's pretty much when ancient enemies in Sonic started being a thing.

The big problem with a lot of the much-older villains is that they're mostly from pretty obscure spinoffs that the Boom staff might not even be aware of; or if they are, they might not think those villains have enough name recognition to be worth bringing back instead of just doing something new. Fang's notorious enough that maybe that could get off the ground, but I have trouble imagining anyone else working their way into Boom unless somebody at BRB (or working on the show) is a humongous Sonic dweeb.

Chris Senn is on staff and worked on sonic extreme which was going to have Nack, so there is your humongous sonic dweeb ;) so you never know

@Jovahexeon;

(Hate that I can't quote here for some reason.)

It was an journal entry on Deviantart that someone said. I tried searching it up again, but now it's gone.

I don't think the user had any links or source to the anicent villian being a redesigned old character/villian. So he/she probably misunderstood the whole thing. Though some of the comments though this was true too.

I'm have a doubt that it is true. I think it is a completely new villian.

EDIT:

Forget it, I found the journal xD

But the user links to SonicStadium and the PNM interview on youtube.

Quoted from the DA user:

"They will introduce a "villian" later, and it's not Eggman! It's probably someone we already know since it was mentioned that this vililans design had been changed"

and also a another DA User on a different journal also says this, that Sega said that it will be a returning Final baddy besides Eggman from the past.

But it's just two People so far I seen saying that the PNM interview says this...I will check the interview myself to be sure, if they really says this or not.

EDIT AGAIN

So I checked the Whole PNM interview. and they didn't say anything about a old villian from the past. They only said... "The slight peak of Eggman's design and the villian that we're going to choose later".

I really don't see where some people on DA is getting the old returning villian thing from on this interview...

I can't even copy and paste in any links in my posts :'(  

It's probably my computers fault. It's been acting weird since I got it fixed for a virus.

The confirmed in the very initial announcement old and new characters, and I was pretty sure they said both new and returning villains as well.

EDIT: That was for the cartoon, though. Game wasn't mentioned.

It amazes me how many people say old villain and then say Dark Gaia or Mephiles/Iblis. They are all fairly recent really. 2006, 2008 are not really what I would call old baddies. Only last gen in terms of systems.

How about Witchcart like you said Octarine, or Nack the Weasel, Bark the Polar Bear, Bean the Dynamite, Mecha Sonic (instead of Metal). Or have a twist and make Mighty the Armadillo an evil twisted villain. Or the Battle Bird Armada even.

Those are what I would call old. But as has been raised Sonic lacks baddies badly. Recurring ones anyway. And most of the ones they come up with for individual games are very reliant on the story or setting of the game they appear in. Most couldn't make a come back without it being weird. With the exception of the anthro's which could be used in almost anything yet they choose to leave them in the bar looking in newspapers for jobs >.<

They're not saying "old" as in "old-school." It just means "old" as in "returning from the games." Its used in the context of "new characters not from the games" and "old characters originally appearing in the games."

Based on the current speculation, I'd say that if the ancient evil isn't a new character (it probably is), it'd probably be either a redesigned Imperator Ix or Perfect Chaos. I'd say Ix, though, because this area seems to be heavily designed around Echidnas and Ix would be a great returning antagonist if used correctly. In the games he'd only work post-Sonic Chronicles (unless they retcon him due to the low quality of the game and re-introduce him).

3:30 on
"The only chance our heroes have of overcoming this foe is to band together. The journey of our friends is one of coming together and putting any differences behind them for the common goal of saving this world."

So, according to this little blurb of information, Sonic and friends could quite possibly be meeting for the first time?! These guys are apparently coming together and not getting along. 

This might not just be a prequel to the TV show, but an origin story for Sonic and friends as well.  That's really fascinating...
  • Thumbs Up 1

oh yeah! that would be awesome. Well that quote is hinting that they probably dont get along with each other or they just met and barely know each other. its one of them two options. i reckon the origins idea!

3:30 on

"The only chance our heroes have of overcoming this foe is to band together. The journey of our friends is one of coming together and putting any differences behind them for the common goal of saving this world."

So, according to this little blurb of information, Sonic and friends could quite possibly be meeting for the first time?! These guys are apparently coming together and not getting along. 

This might not just be a prequel to the TV show, but an origin story for Sonic and friends as well.  That's really fascinating...

Only problem is that sonic and knuckles already had this moment but yeah new continuity I guess

Only problem is that sonic and knuckles already had this moment but yeah new continuity I guess

He had that with Tails and Amy too(Tails is off screened though)...new continuity be graced.