Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

That's what it was. I was wondering why they suddenly look so freakish and gangly.

God after the initial hype has gone done, I'm dreading this.

It just tries too hard and strays away from what Sonic is meant to be - simple. People are just gonna laugh at this, it's embarrassing.

But Lost World was simple and people hated it :V

Anyways, considering these aren't canon designs, I can't get angry over them. And Knuckles, honestly, looks okay. All they really did was stretch his body out a bit and made him buffier.

- Sonic

Is gonna take some time to warm up too. It's not terrible, but I think he looks way too lanky. I don't really get the scarf or the mummy bandages either. My main beef with it is definitely the blue arms though, I've always hated when his arms are accidentally colored blue, and I hate it here too. It just looks awkward and wrong.

- Tails

I like it. He looks virtually the same only now he also wearing different accessories, but it at least fits with him being a mechanic.

- Knuckles

I still hate it. He looks like he's on steroids and he looks out of place with the rest of the cast. Shrink him down a little bit, and he might look alright. And why the fingers? Knuckles definitely has the worst redesign in this series.

- Amy

This one is actually my favorite redesign of the cast so far. She looks basically the same only with a new clothes, it works.

- Eggman

Looks cool, the mustache just needs to be a little bigger but I like it.

For the most part though I'm cool with these designs, as long as SEGA doesn't force them on us in the main canon, I'm fine. I just don't get the overuse of the bandages though.

• Thumbs Up 7

That's what it was. I was wondering why they suddenly look so freakish and gangly.

God after the initial hype has gone done, I'm dreading this.

It just tries too hard and strays away from what Sonic is meant to be - simple. People are just gonna laugh at this, it's embarrassing.

I'm glad somebody agrees with me. If the bad part of the fanbase freaked out about green eyes, I can only imagine the reactions to this. I want to go back to Sonic wearing a jacket after seeing this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy and Eggman have the best designs in this new series.

Amy's design I like so much I wouldn't mind if it replaced, or came along side her game-canon dress.

And Eggman?

robuffnik_zps884514b7.jpg

The guy's egg belly was inverted, so instead of looking like fat he looks like he's been working out. Kind of military dictatorish. I'm actually torn between having his body shape come into the games, because I like Game!Eggman yet I also like Boom!Eggman. The one thing I don't like about Boom!Eggman is that his mustache is too small, but other than that he's golden.

And for some reason, he looks like he could sing opera in that image. Don't ask me how, but it just came to my head.

Now for Knuckles...here's the odd thing that strikes me. I don't like looking at Knuckles from the front, or at least I just find it odd. He looks too beefy, yet when I see him from the side.

q3ca.png

The guy looks awesome. Seriously, how odd is it to find him cool looking, but only at an angle?

Well, I actually do like the new designs for the new game and show. I will admit, the way they made Knuckles was unnecessary, as well as the sports tape on Sonic and Knuckles. But overall, I say those designs were very cool. I like Amy's new dress, as well as Sonic's little scarf.

• Thumbs Up 1

Copy pasted from my previous reply in another thread and adding on:

Sonic's design is rapidly growing on me.  Genuinely I think it looks great.  The blue arms are no where near as jarring as I thought it would be and despite all the small design changes here and there proportionally he's the same.  I really like the fact that his hair is spikier now as it makes sense for the character and the new shoe design is interesting though no where near as iconic as the previous design(s).  Additionally the sports tape isn't really necessary in places, though all in all it's a really solid design.

Knuckles' on the other hand looks goofy, but only because of the proportions.  I actually feel the sports tape makes a lot of sense for the design and makes him seem more like some kind of boxer or muay thai fighter.  I REALLY like the new shoe design (no more Lego shoes lol) in particular and I wouldn't mind the whole buff physique if it weren't for the fact that his head is a little too small comparatively.  If his head was bigger and his muzzle was a bit longer like Classic Knuckles', I think I'd actually quite the like the design.  But yeah as it stands it looks silly due to the upper body being way too big compared to everything else.

Tails' is solid, most true to his former design.  It's just Tails with a couple of bells and whistles added (or goggles and tools).  And rather pointless sports tape around his shoes.  Don't know why, can't really complain though.  They don't sully the design too much really.  Overall I like the Tails design.

Amy's design is, in my honest opinion, the best design she's had (at least since her initial one).  You get a sense of an older more empowered Amy here.  No longer does she have that embarrassing wide brimmed, panty-shot prone dress she's had since Adventure, opting for an overall sleeker look.  I also like the fact that they've incorporated elements of purple into her design.  Reminds me a little of Blaze, who is another great female character in the Sonic franchise.  This Amy just gives the impression that she's ready to kick some ass as opposed to just being Sonic's fangirl.

Amy and Eggman have the best designs in this new series.

Amy's design I like so much I wouldn't mind if it replaced, or came along side her game-canon dress.

And Eggman?

robuffnik_zps884514b7.jpg

The guy's egg belly was inverted, so instead of looking like fat he looks like he's been working out. Kind of military dictatorish. I'm actually torn between having his body shape come into the games, because I like Game!Eggman yet I also like Boom!Eggman. The one thing I don't like about Boom!Eggman is that his mustache is too small, but other than that he's golden.

And for some reason, he looks like he could sing opera in that image. Don't ask me how, but it just came to my head.

Now for Knuckles...here's the odd thing that strikes me. I don't like looking at Knuckles from the front, or at least I just find it odd. He looks too beefy, yet when I see him from the side.

q3ca.png

The guy looks awesome. Seriously, how odd is it to find him cool looking, but only at an angle?

Yes from behind he looks like fabio or some moviestar tough man, its primarily from the front that its an issue

I actually really like the new designs for the most part. Amy's design is a bit more modern, so I can dig that. Sonic actually looks pretty cool. The height doesn't bother me, neither do the blue arms. His spike pattern is a bit messy, and that kind of gives him an edgy look, and I enjoy that. Also, I like that he's wearing a scarf. As a guy who wears a lot of scarves, I really enjoyed that. Tails has a nice design. It really gives him that gear-head look, and I like it a lot better than most of his past designs.

Knuckles on the other hand... What happened to Knuckles? His design isn't bad, he's just a little inflated. I wouldn't mind Knuckles being a little taller than he normally is, but this is pretty bad. If they shrunk him down a bit it would be fine. The fingers kind of bother me though...

EDIT: I completely forgot about Eggman. I love his new design, it looks great. I never rally cared for his Sonic Adventure design. They really got his face perfect for Sonic Boom though!

EDIT AGAIN: In reply to the post above mine... Wow, he really does look great from behind! Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to?

Not gonna lie, I actually love these new designs. It didn't take long to get used to Knux and I'm really digging Sonic and Tails. Blue arms on Sonic is something that's been done as a common mistake by others before, to seeing it actually be a thing is kind of funny to me, actually. I'm already used to it. I also like how Eggman has more of a buff dictator/opera singer thing going on.

And Amy. My god, Amy. Just...WOW. That's just what she needed. She definitely got the revamp she needed and deserved.

I also actually prefer the new proportions Sonic, Tails and Amy have. I never agreed with the notion that everyone had to remain short with rubber joints. Especially when you have a character like Vanilla around who is nothing but an example of what Sonic and the gang would look like if they grew older to her age. Even if she's minor, it's still the way I saw it.

But yeah, that's how I feel. I love these designs and I love the change all around. I'm hyped for this new line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides some wacky proportions, I'm more than ok with Sonic, Tails and Amy. The scarf is pretty good on Sonic. And, Amy probably has the best design of the bunch. Eggman looks cool too. Though Knuckles is a bit goofy looking. The proportions on him are just strange.

I'm relatively apathetic to most of the designs and have been ever since we saw the silhouettes. Most of the gang aren't so dissimilar from their modern counterparts to evoke a complete rebuking on the spot. Tails is okay, Amy's okay aside from her really thin body not looking like proper support for her bobblehead, but overall they're still Uekawa-ish in the face. This only raises the question of why we have to put up with unnecessary bandaging, clothing, accessories, and other details. It goes against the relative simplicity of the older designs and makes them more of a chore to draw and look at. Not horrible, but still fanfic-y. 

Knuckles still looks dumb all over. Excusing the fact that it was always obvious he was a brawler and thus they didn't need to roid him up so much, such a ridiculous body shape begs for a change in head size and shape. This design will forever look like an Internet meme they took seriously. Not keen on Sonic's really long legs either. They look fine in the 2D drawings but in 3D they're just silly, especially since the characters' limbs bend at right angles now. The squash-and-stretch frames people are going to take from this show, assuming the rigs are that robust, will be amazing. 

Also, Sonic's goddamned scarf is barely a scarf. It's a brown bandanna. You couldn't have something longer flapping in the wind as he runs? Fuck.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Screenshot2014-02-06205308.jpg

Eggman has a bit more going on in his design, including apparently a well defined butt and shorter, more muscular legs.

He also has two buttons on the back of his coat. I do miss the stripes, though. But while previous Eggman's strength came as a surprise defying his skinny arms and legs, you know this guy could flatten a house.

tumblr_n0lcqoECye1qj8vtno1_250.png

tumblr_n0ldabv6GL1rfg0q6o1_1280.png

Oddly it appears that Eggman is also wearing a corset under his coat -you can tell where his waist line sharply decreases at the side. I expect the corset to play a comedic role in a future episode. His head also appears more egg shaped, sort of like SatAM Robotnik.

tumblr_n0ll3qECyQ1reiq0ho5_500.png

Also Eggman has pink lips. Lips.

Mustache needs to be a bit longer, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

I can't believe it's not deviantart.  They're all way too wiry with a bunch of pointless details dumped on them, except for knuckles, who, really?  Someone approved that?  

Those little spare quills look nice when you're just drawing Sonic but when it comes to actual modeling him they just look like little dingle berry quills.  They still haven't come up with a better way of terminating Tails's tails than just ending with several protrusions in a row.  

This is going to flop Loonatics Unleashed style.  

Oh right, Eggman.  He's basically wearing the dress uniform from Star Trek 4.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Besides the random bandages, I'm fine with most of the redesigns. EXCEPT THE DAMN BLUE ARMS ON SONIC!

Like I've said before, I like sonics new clothes (tapes etc) but not the body itself. I love amy. Knux either needs work or a scraping, and I don't like the new design for tails. Also, I sometimes forgot sonics arms were bare XD.

Most of my opinions are the same as others mentioned. While I admit I do like they've tried to add some proportion changes, given how samey the games designs often were, could have used less exagerration however (Knuckles would probably look pretty good designed a bit more buff, just not nearly to that level). Either way, I'm fine so long as these designs stay in the TV show like the others.

I think expressiveness really helps overlook such shortcomings however, like many CGI redesigns they look a bit off in static image, but when you see them in action with animation, you see more what they were aiming for.

Anyone see some irony in the comics trying to make everything uniform with the games and then we get arguably the most altered redesigns of Sonic and co yet?

Sonic Boom character designs, huh? Time for me to take a crack at this if I may...

DBlUaSA.png?1

Amy:

She looks fine to me. Amy pretty much looks the same aside from her clothes and looking a bit too skinny. I actually like the color scheme that Amy has going on with her outfit, which complements her Pico Pico hammer as well. smile.png

Tails:

I have absolutely no problem with the way that Tails looks aside from the sports tape on his shoes as he pretty much looks the same. The accessories of the goggles, belt, and tools compliment him very well with him being the handyman. It's definitely fitting.  

Knuckles:

I'm actually warming up to Knuckles' design here somewhat. It looks significantly better that what I thought he would end up looking like. Aside from his strange proportions with his size/buff increase and having fingers, Knuckles still looks like Knuckles. He has no changes to his color palette. The sports tape is a bit overkill on Knuckles IMO. 

2SjoHwy.png?1

Remember this travesty and the uproar it caused with the fanbase with Knuckles having visible fingers?! Why Knuckles would be portrayed like that again is beyond me considering the reactions this image and portrayal of him caused.

Sonic:

Believe it or not, Sonic's look bothers me the most. He's a bit too tall for my liking and I just can't seem to get past those blue arms! It would irritate me to no end to see that error in other renders of him and the fact that it was intentionally done here really bugs me. It just looks really odd and it screams "error" to me. I think Sonic's bare arms balanced his colors out more. It puzzles me more seeing how Amy's arms aren't pink, yet Sonic's are blue. Oh well. I really don't like that he has so much sports tape on him that you can barely see his iconic shoes, which appear to be modified as well such as the buckle being in the middle of the shoe for example.

The scarf is a nice addition (although it is too short and I think red would of been a better color) on a positive note and Sonic still has his green eyes. I honestly think I would be more upset if they had changed that, especially to cater to the "bawww, green eyes!" part of the fandom. I've always liked Sonic's green eyes as I feel that they complement him very well with his color scheme. 

Dr. Eggman:

vkPmDbR.png

Aside from his mustache being too short, he looks fine. Different body shape and all. I like how asymmetrical the designs in his clothing are. It's very unique.

Overall, the new character designs aren't as bad as I anticipated. I still don't like them for the most part even though I am more than okay with the way that Tails and Amy look. Giving Knuckles fingers and having Sonic with blue arms are among the top of my list of the most offensive changes. It's going to take some getting used to but I honestly wish that they kept the character designs the same along the lines of the modern and current canon designs. Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I really wish this thought was kept in mind as all of these changes, ranging from minor to absolutely drastic were simply not necessary. Everyone was fine the way they were with a simple, colorful and appealing appearance that has been pretty much standard for more than 20 years now.

I only hope at this point that they don't make drastic negative changes to each of the character's personalities like they have done with some of the characters' looks. Messing up the appearance and appeal of the characters is one thing but messing up or changing the personalities of the characters that we have come to know and love is another. This is where my tolerance would come to a full stop if this happens.

• Thumbs Up 9

Oh oh oh...

Eggman.

I like him, tho it's not his best. Not eggy enough. Dat upper body tho... Makes me think this... 

m0dsATf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

They all look fine to me, shoot Tails was pretty damn obvious they were gonna go with the pilot/mechanic look.

Knuckles is definately gonna take some getting used to, then again I think of how damn strong he often is portrayed in games as it is, as well as not very smart at the same time, so maybe the design fits.

Also I almost mistook Knux's for one of those Left 4 Dead Tanks, lol.

Alrighty then,

Sonic: Meh, I don't mind the scarf thing, blue arms, or extra quills, but his lankiness really bugs me and it makes his movements extremely awkward looking. Also, whenever he speaks, his mouth is re-alligned to the center of his face, which is equally as awkward.

Amy: It's alright. The new outfit is neat, and that's all I really have to say about that. I guess it's cool that she'll play a bigger role in the game by the looks of it.

Knuckles: I've hated it since the silhouette. I tried to convince myself that it will grow on me, but  I just don't see that happening. The fact that he has fingers bothers me even more than his bulk (and his bulk bothers me A LOT). I'm glad some people are warming up to him, but I'm sorry, it looks horrendous to me.

Tails: I actually like Tails' new look the best out of the main four. The goggles are rad and I like his little harness and various accessories, and that light-whip in the cartoon trailer was interesting. I don't understand why they wrapped up his shoes though. I think SEGA's new bandage fetish went a bit too far, on all the characters for that matter.

Eggman: I am really digging his design as well. Looks to me as if it's some kind of happy median between classic eggman and thriller-jacket-Pollock Eggman. But let's be honest, we're all just happy it's still Mike Pollock's voice.

• Thumbs Up 1