Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

I feel like it might've helped Knuckles a little bit if his arms were narrower at the shoulders but got bigger further down, sort of like Storm. That could have balanced him out a little, maybe; made his legs' noodliness look less awkward by comparison without actually needing to make them any thicker.

Preferably something that doesn't make him too bulky. There's this one look that, while not perfect I find much more appealing for Knuckles.

*first pic*

Then there's this drawing that I think really looks much better for Boom Knuckles. Although the head is still somewhat off-ish.

*second pic*

It gives him slightly more pronounced elbows and knees, but I find it a much better look if he were to have a bigger build compared to how his official design is. Though we are looking at him from an angle, so I'm not fully sure.

In the first one, it does't look like he fits with the rest of the cast at all. His proportions are completely out of scale to everyone else, to the point where it looks like he's suffering from gigantism rather than just sporting a muscular physqiue. His head and feet really need not be enlarged like that either.

As for the second picture, I tinkered with giving Knuckles more defined elbows considering he hasn't got the same rubber-hose arms as everyone else, but decided it didn't look right by comparison. 

Ah well, to each their own!

The design of Knuckles seems to had been earlier that he was going to have trousers on:

tumblr_n1kqjtkJ951rku8ybo5_500.png

Would that had been slightly better?

It also looks like Sonic used to have peach arms... sad.png

?_? I'm not getting peach arms outta that picture. Maybe it's just me, but. I personally think the blue arms work well! Admittedly at first I was quite shocked and even a little angry, but then thought, "Ey, that doesn't look too bad!" Knuckles was hard to look at because I wanted to refuse them but was like "Not bad, not bad at all" But that render does look awkward, so does his in game. But that action figure, looks great. Tails and Amy look like "Modern" Tails and Amy.. so. They look good though.

Good god...I...I think I've been converted already...peach arms on that altered pic actually looks worse than the blue arms >.<

It's probably just the pic tho, blue arms on a modern art piece or on classic Sonic would probably look terrible still. But Boom has converted me with its art I guess.

• Thumbs Up 6

I know a lot of people don't like Knuckles' new look for Sonic Boom, but does anyone think it might suit him?

It takes time to get used to but I like it. It does show how strong he really is. But we have a topic about this in the Sonic Boom thread.

Yeah it took me awhile too, but I still think he looks like Knuckles. I think his strong appearance goes well since he's like the brawn of the group.

Well the charcter designers did state that there were some changes to the characters but enought hat you can still recogonize them and they wnated to show more of each of the character's personality traits. Like Sonic looking more adventurous with the scarf, Tails lokking more like a pilot/mechanic with the googles and tool belt and for some reason, Amy's the archaeologist of the group but it also looks like she'll be the acrobatic one as well. 

I also really like Tails' new look. It goes well since he's basically the mechanic. I like Amy's look too, her dress did look a bit outdated in the current games. Sonic's arms with the blue color instead of peach might take me awhile to get used to though.

I know a lot of people don't like Knuckles' new look for Sonic Boom, but does anyone think it might suit him?

I'm am fairy open-minded about almost everything. So I accepted Knuckles change withing a minute after his design was revealed. I really didn't mind the sillhouette either.

I think it does suit him, and I when Sega says that they hope the fans understand the changes. I totally do. It is too visually show his strength. And I like that he isn't the same height as the others. It makes the team more dynamic looking then before :)

Maybe Knuckles and Eggman went to the same gym? They both have tiny torso and big overbody xD

But I like the changes to them and I really like their accessories. And it's still a another universe beside the Modern one, so the originals will still look the same as before :)

• Thumbs Up 1

The Knuckles design change is ONLY to make him stand out as the obvious "power house" of the group, the new design doesn't suit his character normally, but it'll fit his Boom character more so there's no real problem. Now with that out of the way, I don't really like it anyway.

The Knuckles design change is ONLY to make him stand out as the obvious "power house" of the group, the new design doesn't suit his character normally, but it'll fit his Boom character more so there's no real problem. Now with that out of the way, I don't really like it anyway.

Knuckles has always been the powerhouse of the group, what makes it fit for BoomKnux and not original Knux?

Ay maties, I have an opinion.

Okay, let's start with Sonic specifically.

I hear there are plently of fans who actually think Sonic would look better in a red scarf. I think a red scarf is terribly wrong and that even orange and yellow are better colors than red no matter how 'Sonicy' red is to you guys. 

According to the Color Theory, Blue and yellow/orange are at the opposite ends of the wheel, that makes them complimentay colors. Therefore, brown (a darker shade of orange) is best fit with a darker shade of blue.

Ever wondered why Sonic's skin has always in a more yellow tone instead of pink? Well, now you do.

Or that the color of Tails' fur goes better with Sonic than any other character? Bingo. It's because they represent complimentary colors.

Red is too bright with blue, it doesn't give much space.

Now I know what you're thinking - Sonic's shoes are red. But he has white socks and that gives space between the blue fur and the red shoes, the white strap and soles also play a part. That's why the shoes don't look out of place.

But in this case, we have blue then yellow then RED. Now that's too bright. There's no space. It looks tacky. Infact, a red scarf would go if Sonic's muzzle was white. Because that would be blue > white > red.

(imo brown gives a very adventurous rugged kind of look)

Instead of looking at how color works, they have this biased perception of what Sonic would typically wear and most people say "red" so therefore, it should be red because it's Sonicy to them.

The designers have done an excellent job. They get how design and color work. And I think it is a very smart, unbiased choice to choose brown.

TLDR; Brown neutralizes his look. It creates the perfect balance with his fur and skin. Red is a terrible choice.

I'll also give an example for Amy Rose soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know what colour theory is, and I don't really agree that it's a "terrible choice", because it still looks very nice and conveys some of Sonic's personality. Brown on the other hand does blend in a lot more, but it's not necessarily better as a result. Simple as that.

I personally think red looks a little flashy on him and that brown gives more of a classic, adventurous look. But I respect your opinion, it isn't irrelevant. To each their own!

Personally, I'd compromise with a darker red or a maroon color, that way it retains the classic red color while still utilizing the more "down-to-earth" brownish tint.

1571vuw.jpg

As you can see in my highly professional and college educated diagram created in software which I paid multiple hundreds of dollars to obtain for myself (*sobbing*), the maroon tint has both a brownish earthly tint without compromising the "red" color scheme.

• Thumbs Up 8

As a designer I'd hate to say it but the only read that should be on him should be his shoes, the exception being the fact that it's separated by the white while red and blue would play havoc on people's eyes who are of a specific type of colourblind especially. The brown lightens the load on the colouration a little bit, it doesn't cause it to clash and look cheap while being gentle on the eyes and not drawing massive attention to it.

• Thumbs Up 4

As someone still off on his design, I'm sort of wondering if the addition of a small neck on Knuckles might make his design more appealing. I was playing Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time and noticed that General Azimuth is as top heavy as Knuckles, and wondered if his body shape might make Buffles look better.

AlisterCiT-transparent.png

Notice the muscular upper body, but skinny legs. Just like Buffles.

Alister's body is also a bit more angular in some places, but his biceps aren't too wide, and he has a neck that doesn't put his head to close to his body. I mean, the lack of a neck on Sonic, Amy, and Tails benefits them because their heads are wider than their shoulders, but Knuckles shoulders are wider than his head, so that coupled with me being used to his original series design seems to keep me feeling odd.

Here's another example 3D Model of Alister so you can see what I mean (courtesy of DemonBoy on DA):

ratchet_and_clank_future__acit___alister

I don't know, what do you guys think? I know some people have gotten used to it, but do you see what I mean? Or am I just being too over-analytical over it? :P

As someone still off on his design, I'm sort of wondering if the addition of a small neck on Knuckles might make his design more appealing. I was playing Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time and noticed that General Azimuth is as top heavy as Knuckles, and wondered if his body shape might make Buffles look better.

AlisterCiT-transparent.png

Notice the muscular upper body, but skinny legs. Just like Buffles.

Alister's body is also a bit more angular in some places, but his biceps aren't too wide, and he has a neck that doesn't put his head to close to his body. I mean, the lack of a neck on Sonic, Amy, and Tails benefits them because their heads are wider than their shoulders, but Knuckles shoulders are wider than his head, so that coupled with me being used to his original series design seems to keep me feeling odd.

Here's another example 3D Model of Alister so you can see what I mean (courtesy of DemonBoy on DA):

ratchet_and_clank_future__acit___alister

I don't know, what do you guys think? I know some people have gotten used to it, but do you see what I mean? Or am I just being too over-analytical over it? tongue.png

No. I like it. Looks great!

As a designer I'd hate to say it but the only read that should be on him should be his shoes, the exception being the fact that it's separated by the white while red and blue would play havoc on people's eyes who are of a specific type of colourblind especially. The brown lightens the load on the colouration a little bit, it doesn't cause it to clash and look cheap while being gentle on the eyes and not drawing massive attention to it.

Looking through your DA gallery, I couldn't help but notice a stark contrast to what you just said :P 

Looking through your DA gallery, I couldn't help but notice a stark contrast to what you just said tongue.png

Haha I know right? It's pretty bad, but that's what said requester wanted and I was like 'nnnhhhhokay'.

I like how Sonic came out himself, though. SPIKES.

But do you see what I mean? The red is a little overpowering.

Mando, don't call me a 'he' and why do people think of Crash?

Red totally is overpowering, it takes away the striking contrast of his power sneakers.

When I think about it, Red is always an overpowering colour, it's hard to get a balance with it because of how overpowering it is, hell even white and yellow are easily blended compared to red, but that's just it. Red is supposed to be an overpowering colour because it's often associated with empowerment and passion and is meant to stand out, I guess that's why his shoes are red with a strike out white strap.