Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

At first, I hated the new designs. Now, I'm fine with all of them and I even mind Knuckles less than I mind Sonic. Why? Because they changed a major part of his colors around: His arms. The reason I'm okay with every other design is because the colors are the same as they are in the games. The reason blue arms bugs me so much is because I'm too used to his regular arms. If they just fixed his arms, I would be completely fine with this show.

At first, I hated the new designs. Now, I'm fine with all of them and I even mind Knuckles less than I mind Sonic. Why? Because they changed a major part of his colors around: His arms. The reason I'm okay with every other design is because the colors are the same as they are in the games. The reason blue arms bugs me so much is because I'm too used to his regular arms. If they just fixed his arms, I would be completely fine with this show.

Different doesn't mean broken so in a way they're already fixed.

You're welcomewink.png

Well I'm glad others see it as Marine as well. Shows I'm not crazy. :P

But one thing did occur to me. She does lack a tail in the picture. What could she be? Could she, perhaps, have been changed to a new species to fit in more with Australia? Like a Koala?

So, who else is gonna buy the strategy guide?

The Jak games' guides were interesting, having screenshots and walkthrough stuff, but they were also laced with a fair bit of actual character designs and everything. Bob Rafei being an artist and a head honcho... I can't help but think he'll want to keep that same flair here.

Come to think of it I never bought a strategy guide for Sonic games, but I blame the fact they were never bundled (unlike Sony titles, which almost always seem to be bundled) when I got them.

I applaud the TY the Tasmanian Tiger pun in the main site article, on a related note. tongue.png

Well I'm glad others see it as Marine as well. Shows I'm not crazy. tongue.png

But one thing did occur to me. She does lack a tail in the picture. What could she be? 

I'd take a guess to say it's either obscured from our view, or it's "incomplete" concept art that doesn't include the tail yet.

I'd take a guess to say it's either obscured from our view, or it's "incomplete" concept art that doesn't include the tail yet.

I can take that as a possibility as well.

tumblr_n2af1b0ByE1soun3bo1_1280.jpgThis image was distorted a bit in photoshop to give a clearer view.

Sorry about the empty space dont know how to take the space out.

I wonder if the side-by-side red and yellow bots are Boom's take on Orbot and Cubot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I'm getting Sonic 06 vibes all over again..for a world so alive and full of character..the robots seem so blah...

...the best one so far would be burnbot..but not saying much.

Well, Burnbot is kinda a watered down Egg Dragoon

tumblr_n0lojtd0j31si78sgo1_500.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, it really is, as well.  Put next to each other like that it's undeniable.

I don't think we're seeing Orbot and Cubot in those images, though.  I expect them to have changed very little.  (Really, everyone save maybe-Marine has changed very little.)

To be honest, I kind of like the robot designs. The only one I don't really care for is the orange-y one to the left of "Boom Emerl"...Boomerl? 

b5c43ae65c08899eb7d6f621bf1e2e62.png

This 'bot makes me think of B.E.N from Treasure Planet. Mostly just the head, mind you. Also it's floating but appears to have a...wheel? Or is that a claw holding something?

b89f6b3895c86598a54743b4930d1583.png

...the left one looks like a skull in a jar, at first glance. And are these two enemies, or characters? On a sorta similar note:

e3c52c43cecd13a5815604a897cf9bd7.png

This incredibly friendly looking fellow, as someone's already pointed out here, looks like a snake but decked out with robot stuff. Like those two up there I get the impression this one could be a character rather than a random enemy, but who knows.

Different doesn't mean broken so in a way they're already fixed.

You're welcomewink.png

When did I ever say that they were broken?

Well, Burnbot is kinda a watered down Egg Dragoon

tumblr_n0lojtd0j31si78sgo1_500.png

There's not really any resemblance at all besides both of them having gigantic upper bodies and them being red.

When did I ever say that they were broken?

You said "fixed" as in something broken needed to be "fixed" I think it was more a joke. . You probably knew that :P

I'm actually starting to like the blue arms. Just on BoomSonic though.

EDIT: @TimmiT. Really? I can definitely see it now that theres that side by side. The upperbody spikes, it has mini wings, chest lights, small lower body, and head gives an impression of the cockpit.

Something that is a little jarring about the new characters compared to "Marine" is that while they definitely have a Sonic feel to them, their fur look so plain compared to Marine's intricate pattern design... all the same, I think they are more creative looking than her (original design) or most of the Sonic friends that have been designed past Vector's redesign. (Blaze is a minor exception.)

For starters, one thing that has bugged me about Sonic looking character in recent years is how everyone just seems to have a copy paste body from Sonic's and the same head with the addition of different looking spikes to make them actually look unique. You strip them of that and all these characters look the bloody same aside from the eyes. The only exceptions you usually got were from the heavy set guys, like Storm.

Then you had the comics, which suffered the opposite in their early days, where characters barely looked like Sonic characters at all. (Especially true with the Penders days, and StC.)

So I really applaud these characters for being more unique than the standard Sonic character, but managing to look like they could fit into Sonic's universe and work. So kudos to you BrB and OuiDO for striking a good balance so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

Something that is a little jarring about the new characters compared to "Marine" is that while they definitely have a Sonic feel to them, their fur look so plain compared to Marine's intricate pattern design... all the same, I think they are more creative looking than her (original design) or most of the Sonic friends that have been designed past Vector's redesign. (Blaze is a minor exception.)

For starters, one thing that has bugged me about Sonic looking character in recent years is how everyone just seems to have a copy paste body from Sonic's and the same head with the addition of different looking spikes to make them actually look unique. You strip them of that and all these characters look the bloody same aside from the eyes. The only exceptions you usually got were from the heavy set guys, like Storm.

Then you had the comics, which suffered the opposite in their early days, where characters barely looked like Sonic characters at all. (Especially true with the Penders days, and StC.)

So I really applaud these characters for being more unique than the standard Sonic character, but managing to look like they could fit into Sonic's universe and work. So kudos to you BrB and OuiDO for striking a good balance so far.

I really agree with this!

There's not really any resemblance at all besides both of them having gigantic upper bodies and them being red.

Not saying Burn-bot is specifically derived off of Egg Dragoon, but:

34yuxbs.jpg

In addition to the wide upper frame with some sort of "wing-like" attachments, other more specific details carry over. Saying there's no resemblance is rather disingenuous to the observation.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeah, I can see the resemblance between the two. Heck Burnbot has the similar color scheme as Egg Dragoon. 

It was the part highlighted in green that sealed the deal for me.  Everything else could just about pass off as coincidence, but what the heck even are those green things?  So I regard that as a neat little Easter Egg for the attentive viewer.

Something that is a little jarring about the new characters compared to "Marine" is that while they definitely have a Sonic feel to them, their fur look so plain compared to Marine's intricate pattern design...

I think that most of the new "characters" are NPCs, so they're not really meant to look as exciting as other... wait, some of them are actually wearing quite a lot of clothes, aren't they?  I wonder if they're old designs as well, or if it's a case of different standards applying to main characters as opposed to NPCs.  I could believe that.  Now that I think about it, Amy's fully-clothed, too.

I think SEGA will be much more lenient with the designs of the NPCs and other new characters than the existing ones. Take a look at Rush Adventure, where all of the koalas had bare paws instead of gloved human-style hands and black dot eyes instead of massive white corneas. Sonic and Co' weren't allowed to have their designs changed to include clothing for consistency's sake, but new and otherwise relatively unimportant characters can. At least, that's the way it's always seemed to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was more referring to body shape more than clothing. Those Koala's still had that same sonic mold with their design. Their faces were at least designed differently enough, but their lower halls had little different from any other Sonic character aside from clothing. And even if these guys are just NPCs they at least look different.

Remember the occasional Sonic X episode where they'd show off the people of Sonic's world? They all looked like Sonic recolours. Honestly it's like the artist has trouble designing characters with variety outside of headgear.

So regarding Amy, since Frost is also on at Sega Forums, it appears some got to talk to him and I quote:

"I asked the Frost guy about this and he said the word now was inappropriate for the situation, I don't think the guy that was talking was exactly thinking about what he was saying."

If this is true, I sounds rather reassuring for folks worried.

Also another member had this to say:

"The Amy thing is kind of convoluted at this point. I will mention that one of the creators mentioned on Twitter that they have no intention of making a grand departure from Amy's personality. I think they're simply trying to move away from all those negative associates people have with the character by making those better traits more obvious and not bogged down by clumsy writing. If that's the case, the whole "now she's strong and independent" thing was just a little pandering to the Amy haters (who should not be directly addressed in any fashion)." forums.sega.com/showthread.php?508129-Here-is-a-rather-new-interview-with-that-Bob-Rafei-guy/page3

Sounds like some of the changes for Amy might have been rather improperly spoken/distributed by the announcers and done interview-ees.

I'm really really sorry, but I can't help but think that this Eggman actually wears a very tight corsage that hides his fat

• Thumbs Up 6