Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

His arm would look more robotic if that were the case.

But it's probably more of his own little wrist gadget much like Sonic has. I'd assume the other characters will have their own as well.

These are qualities which I associate with Sonic as a character :| he is vain. Sonic knows that he kicks ass AND looks good whilst doing it. He's got the time to worry about how he looks because he's super fast.

I dunno, I don't really see Sonic as being vain. At least not in an "I look good because I'm always preening and primping" sort of way.

Hell, in Unleashed he has time to get an ice cream in Apotos when the world is broken apart.

No one in Unleashed really minded that, though.

I don't think anybody who comes in and proposes colour changes, real fur and scales as part of the character design really knows a lot about Sonic.

I don't think fur and scales would be that much of a departure, honestly. There was that test render for...'06, I think?...that gave Sonic fur and it didn't look too bad. He wasn't werehogged out, he still looked like Sonic. And I think Vector already has a scaly texture, at least in some games.

As for Eggman, I do really love his outfit, it's an awesome jacket, but I still don't like his physical design. His weight has always been one of his defining physical features (along with his mustache). He's fat, he looks like an egg, he's the EGGman. Now he looks like Mr.Incredible :/.

Well, he's sort of an egg tipped up now.
  • Thumbs Up 1

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/sonic-team-experienced-discomfort-with-sonic-redesign

If Iizuka was traumatised by the conceptual character designs, I think we need to be thankful for what we have now...

Edit; nevermind, Blue Blood beat me to it.

I am laughing so hard at this, holy crap lol.

At least I know Sonic Team has some idea as to what the identity of the series is. And knowing this, I'm indifferent to the redesigns as for what they're for, but glad Sega stopped them from going any further XD

Now imagine what Oshima, Naka and co would've said if they had to approve the SatAM artwork before the show was made. Probably would've been insta-cancelled. :v

• Thumbs Up 1

We wanted to keep the egg motif with him, but also wanted him to be more formidable in his appearance. So, one day, we had this epiphany and rotated the egg shape upside down.

That is truly the best idea for an Eggman redesign yet! XD

We wanted to keep the egg motif with him, but also wanted him to be more formidable in his appearance. So, one day, we had this epiphany and rotated the egg shape upside down.

Heh, clever did kinda notice that.... Still a little sad we didnt get to ask if perhaps some old forgotten characters might show up, especialy with Chris Senn's experience with a certian weasel (wink wink)

I say you did an excellent job keeping it in mind. I really like the mixture of him appearing like a military general and a scientist put together as it brings out a more commanding image of Eggman as he gives orders to his creations.

All in all, bravo. Good job keeping the "Egg" in Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 9

I…I….I can't even stress enough in text j-just how fucking brilliant that idea is in it's simplicity.

• Thumbs Up 2

Genius! I can totally see the upside down egg shape too. Great thinking there! ^^

...but I thought we already knew this prior to Frost confirming it? I mean it was kind of right there. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Duuuuuuuuuude Eggman's been hitting the gym! :

Also I like the contrast between his neat and clean look and the gang's messier look. Yknow, frayed spikes, sports tape...

• Thumbs Up 2

Good eye.  Eggman is refined and professional; his dictatorial ambitions reflect his pride.  The heroes are more interested in what gets the job done.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like I would like Sonic's redesign more if they kept his original shoes and gloves. I'm okay with his bed-head, I'm coming to terms with him not shaving his arms, the scarf (as they put it "to bring out the personality of the adventurous type") is good, and I'm even fine with the voice (even though I dislike Roger Craig Smith's Sonic, but I don't want to start a flame war). But the only GOOD redesign shoes (IMO) were the SOAP shoes from Sonic Adventure 2.

Tails looks pretty cool, but I'd probably like his design more if it were just the aviation goggles and saved the tool bag for when he needs it.

Amy looks nice. Her shopping spree went well, and the new hammer looks good.

Eggman... Well, I can't help but feel like he's a general of some military branch, or something of the sort.

Knuckles... knuckles_from_sonic_boom_by_banzchan-d75

I believe this sums his redesign up pretty well. Steroids jokes are getting old.

WHY DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO REALIZE THAT?!! 

This just went from "Good design, but no real egg motif" to "best Eggman design ever"!

• Thumbs Up 1

The jokes about Knuckles are getting older.

Seriously just...please stop, please? We get it, he's buff. There's also one of the designers in this thread, so...

Being one of the designers, surely he's aware they made Knuckles buff?

You're missing the point: constantly exaggerating how muscular Knuckles is stopped being funny ages ago, and may even come across as insulting now that one of the designers is here.

• Thumbs Up 6

It seems you're missing the point unfortunately. At this point it's just becoming "Green Eyes!!!!" levels of cryptic, annoying, old, and somewhat rude.

... I missed the point intentionally, in case you didn't grasp that. Discussion should proceed as normal even if the designer partakes in it, instead of spending two pages of people going "ooh aah" at something that was pointed out in the same day the cartoon preview was out (that Eggman is an Egg tiptopped) or hiding quickly any dissent at them.

Buff Knuckles still looks idiotic and worth the laugh.

... I missed the point intentionally, in case you didn't grasp that. Discussion should proceed as normal even if the designer partakes in it, instead of spending two pages of people going "ooh aah" at something that was pointed out in the same day the cartoon preview was out (that Eggman is an Egg tiptopped) or hiding quickly any dissent at them.

Can you cut out the rude and condenscending attitude, please? You have no right to say what members can talk about in this topic. If they want to "ooh" and "aah" at something by all means they can do so as it is revelant to the topic. And don't say anything in regards to how the discussion should proceed as that is along the lines of backseat moderating. That is a given for the discussion to continue without your input for that to happen, especially when you really didn't do it yourself. You either contribute to the topic at hand which calls for explaining yourself, or you don't post at all. Nothing less, and definitely nothing more than that.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Even though I don't agree with the whole knuckles thing and stuff I do have to admit its kind of unfair to say that no one can post their criticism's of the design just be cause the designers here (nothing against you by the way frost).

It seems that old Buff Knuckles over-exaggerations might become the next of the "Green Eyes" levels of silliness.