Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

With the talk of Eggman's design being an upside down egg, I can't help but wonder if Knuckles is based around a similar design idea. They both have a "top heavy" body mold going on with them.

You can see the design theory in the article posted a few posts before and that they wanted to make him look strong to emphasise that he was strong, just like Amy was designed to look athletic with good reflexes while Tails made to look like a mechanic. The designs aren't that different when you first look at them, but when you see them in action they display these characteristics fairly well without needing to change too much (Amy being the only one to land on her feet in the drop, Tails dressed to look like a pilot etc); however, Knuckles in his original design doesn't really look strong if you're new to the series and is generally a 'red Sonic' to newbies.

So all in all, Knuckles was made to look strong yet fast with those lithe legs of his.

Knuckles always looked strong to me. At the time of his creation he had an upwards muscular look, just thin arms and big gloves. But as the series developed and more characters started to show up he just seemed less powerful. Omega, Big, Storm; they all looked more like the typical tough guy body, and Knuckles just kept looking smaller. The fact he was sidelined into comic relief status didn't help.

Astérix, Popeye, Astroboy, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Little Mac.

All it'd take would be a slight rebalancing of torso and arms, thicker arms maybe, still keeping variety in the general cartoonishness without just going "he's strong must be a big guy FOR YOU"

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles always looked strong to me. At the time of his creation he had an upwards muscular look, just thin arms and big gloves. But as the series developed and more characters started to show up he just seemed less powerful. Omega, Big, Beat; they all looked more like the typical tough guy body, and Knuckles just kept looking smaller. The fact he was sidelined into comic relief status didn't help.

That is pretty much the problem. I mean...if you look at those guys, they're all top heavy but aren't exactly fast with those stocky legs.

Technically Omega has that shape like Knuckles, except his legs look like they're thick enough to fit his body. Knuckles legs look awkward on him. Which is why I wish they kept the pants they were gonna give him, so he could've kept the noodle legs without the visual awkwardness.

Omegastatue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't have a problem with Knuckles's legs.  I feel like he'd dominate and start to look too out-of-place if his legs were huge as well.  Come to think of it, I'm fine with the size of his head, too.  I feel like the principle is that Knuckles's strength is concentrated in his arms and upper body, and if you extend that to his head and legs then he doesn't look muscular, he just looks like you scaled him up relative to everyone else.

• Thumbs Up 3

Of course its fake...the light is shining too much in the right/left eye. Shadow should be blind after that.

• Thumbs Up 1

That fake Shadow design is rather sleek, I have to admit I dig it very much. My only problem is that he looks a little too similar to Sonic, so I'd rather they do more with him in terms of clothing. I seriously love the Crimson Red scarf though, it suits Shadow well. That's something I hope BRB goes for. (In terms of clothing color). I just hope they don't try to go in too dark or edgy of a direction like making him look like a biker or anything. Ugh.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I'd tear up the neckerchief a bit, either that or make it a full-on scarf.

Since we're bringing up and predicting how other characters might look, I thought I would throw this fan design for Blaze out there.

sonic_boom___blaze_02_by_libbykeppen-d75

I think a more tribal guardian/bodyguard look for Blaze would be kickass. Not sure how I feel about giving her a scepter as a weapon, but having her face more concealed is something I can get behind. Its got that "mysterious cat from another dimension" vibe. It reminds me of Talia Al' Ghul's bodyguards from Arkham City now that I think about it.

Personally, I'd tear up the neckerchief a bit, either that or make it a full-on scarf.

I think a longer scarf with ragged ends would look good on Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gosh, that Shadow looks gorgeous. A shame it is fake.

Honestly though, I'll agree with giving him a different look. Longer scarf... eeehn, I dunno. Cape seems a little too over the top though too.

Still, I agree with the color choice. Matches him perfectly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1959846_680226545367441_1847064604_n.jpg

it's fake

but what if...?

...what if...?

I. Hate. You. So. God. Damned. Much. 

Just kidding. But seriously, that was messed up of you. :lol:

If anything, Shadow should have a jacket they were going to give Sonic. But make it military themed like Eggman's.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suspect they'd go with a more refined and less roughneck sort of appearance for Shadow and Blaze, but it all depends on what backstory the two would be given.  While both are parallels to Sonic, I suspect that their individuality will be played up a bit more, especially in Blaze's case.  (With no Chaos Emeralds and therefore no Sol Emeralds, and almost certainly no Eggman Nega or parallel universe as well, there's really very little to make Blaze a Sonic analogue.)

I think the kind of Arabian Nights mystical look suits Blaze down to the ground, but it all depends on the context.  Is she still a princess?  Probably not, as that was a fairly esoteric element of her character anyway.  Guardian of some mystical flame-related force?  Now that's a different matter and I think very likely if she ever turns up as a main character.  For Shadow, I'd expect some kind of clone-y technological aspects to his look - play up his wrist rings and boots - though fair enough they'd probably still be battered or decayed in some ways, but perhaps more from age than ill use... it's hard to predict.  I still think there'd be a temptation to reinterpret his red highlights as scars of some kind.

But quite aside from that, the artwork of the suggested Shadow design is really good and authentic-looking.

• Thumbs Up 1

If this show wasn't CGI, I'd suggest giving a cape like this to Shadow. It's so stereotypical anti-hero badass, but it'd look cool.

1710411-87367__mega_man_battle_network_b

• Thumbs Up 2

If this show wasn't CGI, I'd suggest giving a cape like this to Shadow. It's so stereotypical anti-hero badass, but it'd look cool.

1710411-87367__mega_man_battle_network_b

I think that would probably fit shadow a good deal (both the characters are pretty similar anyway) and give him some mysterious kind of aura around him while making him look imposing.

Tis a very nice cape, yes. Jus' figured, though, it'd be very typical to include it. But then again, we are following cartoon logic, and just look at Knuckles' build. Emphasizing his strength and whatnot. Capes like that seem to impose the idea that this being is some sort've threat, so I can see it work.

Hello everyone, first post ever!

I really like the idea of Shadow sporting a full-blown cloak to match Sonic's neckerchief, and red is a good color for him. I also think he might look good in a fur/scarf like Sesshomaru's from Inuyasha. It'd serve the same purpose as the cloak while possibly being easier to render/animate, as well as keeping with the theme of somewhat ragged-looking heroes vs stylish villains (even if Shadow isn't a villain, he'll still likely be an antagonistic character) the creators seem to be going for.

Shadow, being the mysterious and shady guy that he is, would probably suit a much cleaner look that most of the other good guys. It would also really set apart the contrast between him and Sonic. I feel it fits with his image a bit better. The same could be said of Blaze and Rouge as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

Shadow, being the mysterious and shady guy that he is, would probably suit a much cleaner look that most of the other good guys. It would also really set apart the contrast between him and Sonic. I feel it fits with his image a bit better. The same could be said of Blaze and Rouge as well.

Give him a monkey suit, and we'll have a bond like no other.

Look, all I'm saying is that they should try their damndest to design Shadow in away shuts anyone out there still calling him (and misusing the term of) a stereotypical "emo" right the hell up.

Give him a military combat fatigue to fit his connection to the military. Give him a cloak to show how mysterious and shady his is. Dress him like James Bond.

Just for the love of god, avoid the whole "goth/emo" perception of him.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd like Shadow to wear a hat.

An awesome hat.

A Fedora? a Beanie? A deerStalker? A Pith Helmet? A Panama Hat? A Bandanna? A Bowler Hat? That beanie ish thing with a rim?