Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

Looks like one of those park rangers you often see in kids' cartoons. Kinda looks like a dog to me. Could be a tiger though... My best guess it's gonna be an NPC in one desert themed hub or something selling upgrades for the characters. They did mention the fact that you can buy upgrades, right?

I don't recall it being started explicitly that you can purchase upgrades, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume you can. I do believe upgrades were mentioned, and the way the rings all fly towards Sonic, as well as an image showing what looks like a health bar as part of the HUD, implies rings may have a purpose (currency) beyond just keeping Sonic alive.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I'm *really* digging the overall look of Sonic Boom. It's different, sure, but I think the Sonic formula has needed a bit of shaking-up for a while now, so I'm cautiously optimistic. That said, there are three things with the new redesigns I, personally, would be ecstatic to see changed-up a bit.

1. Sonic's Shoes

Even if they aren't "the source of Sonic's speed", it seems strange for them to seem *so* ragged-out. Then again, maybe this is a plot-point? I don't think he needs pristine-looking Classic shoes, though, nor the super high-tech SOAP Scorchers from Adventure 2. Rather, I'd just like seeing something a tad bit more notable, with the iconic white-stripe.

2. Sonic's Scarf

I actually really dig the idea of Sonic wearing a scarf; it adds to the whole "adventurer" look. This particular scarf, though, just looks a little bland. I mean, giving him a bright checkered-flag for a scarf would maybe be *too* eye-catching, but maybe something with more of a brownish-orange color would compliment his blue skin/fur a bit more? Heck, they could even make it a checked-design like Green Hill Zone's background, which could make a cool scarf, plus a cool little cameo.

3. Knuckles' size

I actually really dig Knuckles wearing sports-tape; it suits the character. I don't know what his new origin-story is going to be, but if he's anything like the Classic version, it makes sense for him to look a little more rugged. That said, he seems a little *too* large; seeing him running alongside these ultra-skinny characters seems sort of jarring. His upper-body seems like it looks a little "too human", whereas making him just a bit thinner -- but still larger than the others -- would look awesome.

Anyways, that's basically it. I *LOVE* Tails' redesign, Amy's looks great, and Robotnik/Eggman looks even better than his "classic" appearance, if I'm being honest. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sonic Boon!

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I'm *really* digging the overall look of Sonic Boom. It's different, sure, but I think the Sonic formula has needed a bit of shaking-up for a while now, so I'm cautiously optimistic. That said, there are three things with the new redesigns I, personally, would be ecstatic to see changed-up a bit.

1. Sonic's Shoes

Even if they aren't "the source of Sonic's speed", it seems strange for them to seem *so* ragged-out. Then again, maybe this is a plot-point? I don't think he needs pristine-looking Classic shoes, though, nor the super high-tech SOAP Scorchers from Adventure 2. Rather, I'd just like seeing something a tad bit more notable, with the iconic white-stripe.

2. Sonic's Scarf

I actually really dig the idea of Sonic wearing a scarf; it adds to the whole "adventurer" look. This particular scarf, though, just looks a little bland. I mean, giving him a bright checkered-flag for a scarf would maybe be *too* eye-catching, but maybe something with more of a brownish-orange color would compliment his blue skin/fur a bit more? Heck, they could even make it a checked-design like Green Hill Zone's background, which could make a cool scarf, plus a cool little cameo.

3. Knuckles' size

I actually really dig Knuckles wearing sports-tape; it suits the character. I don't know what his new origin-story is going to be, but if he's anything like the Classic version, it makes sense for him to look a little more rugged. That said, he seems a little *too* large; seeing him running alongside these ultra-skinny characters seems sort of jarring. His upper-body seems like it looks a little "too human", whereas making him just a bit thinner -- but still larger than the others -- would look awesome.

Anyways, that's basically it. I *LOVE* Tails' redesign, Amy's looks great, and Robotnik/Eggman looks even better than his "classic" appearance, if I'm being honest. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sonic Boon!

I like how Sonic's sportstape is all messy on his shoes, to be honest. It signifies that being one of his key elements of action, when you think about it. Sportstape is worn to protect during activities, so it's only fair for Sonic to heavily coat his shoes in it.

The scarf I find just fine as is, but I do agree that if it was checkered like Green Hill's soil that'd be a nice cameo, but you have to think that could... not really blend in well with the rest of the design too. Personally, I'm just fine with the scarf as it really is now.

Knuckles' size I definitely agree with you on, like...

sonic_boom_by_blue_chica-d767qyw.png

Sonic, Tails and Amy all thin and short then BOOM massive Knuckles. May get adjusted to it over time, but I still think it stands out way too much. He sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like how Sonic's sportstape is all messy on his shoes, to be honest. It signifies that being one of his key elements of action, when you think about it. Sportstape is worn to protect during activities, so it's only fair for Sonic to heavily coat his shoes in it.

The scarf I find just fine as is, but I do agree that if it was checkered like Green Hill's soil that'd be a nice cameo, but you have to think that could... not really blend in well with the rest of the design too. Personally, I'm just fine with the scarf as it really is now.

Knuckles' size I definitely agree with you on, like...

sonic_boom_by_blue_chica-d767qyw.png

Sonic, Tails and Amy all thin and short then BOOM massive Knuckles. May get adjusted to it over time, but I still think it stands out way too much. He sticks out like a sore thumb.

But... that's what shoes are for. Putting sports-tape over your shoes just seems kind of silly; like, maybe our boy Sonic just needs to buy some new ones? I don't mind it on the others so much, but Sonic's shoes are so iconic, it seems odd for them to look so generic now. Like I said, though; maybe it's a plot-point, and he actually *does* get a new pair of shoes during the source of the game or show?

As for the Scarf... I dunno, it just doesn't really compliment the color "blue". It doesn't look *bad*, it just seems a bit more plain that I thought it should. Dark-orange seems like it would fit much more nicely.

As for Knuckles... yeah, he's just *too* big. Hopefully it's not too late for them to scale his size down a bit, because he doesn't even seem like it's from the same universe at the others. And honestly, I always liked him when he was "skinny", but I would be accepting if he was even *remotely* relatable to the others. Mostly his arms... they just look like a real-life human's arms, pasted onto the character; gives it sort of a unnerving quality, to me.

In fairness, Vector and Big are about this size, too. And while they do stick out a bit, you eventually calm down with the shock and accept it. But then, I  grow tired of seeing the same bodystyle over and over again anyway. Guys like Vector, Big, Storm, they're kind of a breath of fresh air.

I don't mind it, different universe anyway.

I would had thought a character looking unique would had been better than just another Red Sonic and Knuckles definitely sticks out in the best of ways. The guy looks like he has personality rather than just a big head and big floppy hands. He looks like a character of his own with a very clear idea on what his abilities will be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles was unique in his franchise and outside, though. Everywhere you look, the strong character has to be big. In the franchise, he was unique in that Vector's big, Big's big, Storm's big. He's small.

He was part of the small batallion of "small-but-strong" characters like Goku for early Dragonball or Astroboy. Like Spider-Man or Molly from Runaways, instead of Superman or Hulk.

So apparently in this Boom franchise, Knuckles is unique in being the bigger, more muscular one of the bunch.

And thus stopped being unique in any way. Just another "he's strong therefore must be big" character in the pile that's existed for years.

Care to elaborate on those assumptive claims KK?

Welp may need to re-install chrome because I can't get the reply options or quote buttons to work or show up so... till then,

@KK: By technicality this indeed is unique to Knuckles as a character, the Sonic franchise as a whole, and- if he can glide he'll be quite unique. For the most part that is. Yes, big = strong has for the most part been done to death, if his character (personality) is unique then he can still stand out from the rest, especially with those legs (not harping on the design, I'm being serious) Tall, big guys I haven't seen so often. He has more of a slim, big guy, type of look to him which doesn't reflect other big guys, who are just.. well big.

To me it'll be a refresher because even if his "hands" were his trademark strength and unique part of him, it was forgotten real quick. Instead of his fist with spiked Knuckles being a part of him it turned out to be his personality. Which turned him into the brute un-unique guy anyways. kinda. So I think he actually does stand out even from just a design stand-point.

[i don't know what I was typing for a little but my point is still pretty clear I hope]

I'd really appreciate not having to shorten my username even further. I'd imagine three letters, "K", "K", and "M" would be simple enough to type tongue.png

I've elaborated enough, Jova. Before, he was the strong guy of the group but small, making him unique both inside the Sonic franchise, and outside it since the majority of strong characters are given the strongman body.

Now he also has the strongman body, so he's the same as every strong character inside the Sonic franchise and the same as the majority of strong characters outside the Sonic franchise.

This could be saved by his personality, but seeing as the main element he had outside "being strong" was shoved to Amy (the interest in archaeology, etc), and seeing the dialogue we have so far... not confident in it. At all.

His interest...or just his unexpected knowledge about translating foreign manuscripts of ancient societies similar to his own.

I don't know how that could be considered as Knuckles' other "main" trait...

It was only in one game.

Now he also has the strongman body, so he's the same as every strong character inside the Sonic franchise and the same as the majority of strong characters outside the Sonic franchise.

Such an outright statement based on mere appearance is rather discriminatory. Especially when there's no solid proof to validate these claims. And do elaborate on how he's "the same" as this majority you claim and speak of.

but seeing as the main element he had outside "being strong" was shoved to Amy (the interest in archaeology, etc)

Since when in the games was Knuckles a character wielding archeology pursuits as one of his major character traits? This sounds rather fanon.

I've elaborated enough, Jova. Before, he was the strong guy of the group but small, making him unique both inside the Sonic franchise, and outside it since the majority of strong characters are given the strongman body.

objection__by_sonicspeedz-d5zkgjp.png

The present statement suggests that Knuckles was unique within the franchise by being a small yet strong guy.Phoenix_Desk_Slam.gif However, that in turn contradicts the existence several characters within the franchise!!!!!!

A Mr. Mighty the Armadillo who showed great feats of strength in the SEGASonic game,

by technicality, Mr. Metal Sonic  who too has shown powerhouse array of abilities and strength, despite his size.

A Ms. Amy Rose , exhibit C herself, this particular pink hedgehog is well-renowned for being athletic, and quite the brutal physical devastator in combat, and wields a gigantic hammer with suitable and notable strength present.

Also calling to the stand, the Zeti known as Zeena while among the smaller members of the Deadly Six, Zeena has been shown to wield, heave and swing (with a hint of grace too) giant snowman mechs with her brute strength, and has also been seen using enhanced powers at Lava Mountain Zone  while engaging the enemy.

Let's not forget the ever small, "Ultimate Lifeform", now either. Exhibit E, Mr, Shadow the HedgehogShadow_the_hedgehog_by_fentonxd-d5u0edu.Credited as the ultimate lifeform, the evident subject has been shown and documented, to be capable of bearing arms larger than his entire body, carrying innumerable items, and playing pickup sticks with gigantic objects such as platforms, rubble, buses, you name it! And yes, he too is quite small.

And finally, let's not forget the bluester himself!Sonic_modern_and_classic_designs.pnghe's always been a powerhouse, samshing through walls, spindashing through hard metal and machinery, taking down gargantuan foes, even without the use of his super form at times. While much can be attributed to his speed, he has been shown to be able to carry things as large as himself, even while running at high speed. His spinball, spindash and other spin forms are strong enough to cut through metal, burrow through the ground, smash through surfaces by stomping, or break down walls. And he has routinely exhibited the ability to tear robots apart with sheer force.

Therefore.... 

Knuckles, unique-ness within the franchise is not strongly based on being small yet strong, because there's so gosh dang many characters that have that card in their stockpiles. As for outside the franchise, well:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PintsizedPowerhouse

Pint-Sized Powerhouse
pintsized01_6439.png
"Tiny, but fierce."
Sanya concerning Karrin Murphy, The Dresden Files
When a small person is accosted by a larger opponent, most people expect the latter to win, but in fiction the smaller a combatant, the more ass they can kick. Like the Square/Cube Law going down, a combatant gets cooler and more badass the smaller they are. Short guys trounce giant bruisers, children routinely trounce goons, midgets will be amazing wrestlers (if not literal ankle biters), and mice or smaller creatures (especially of the Talking Animal variety) will swarm and overwhelm, if not individually disable enemies with rapier precision. Much like Muscles Are Meaningless and Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass, these characters are formidable fighters despite (or sometimes because of) their size. There is some basis in science for larger proportional strength for smaller creatures: the Square/Cube Law works in the other direction. Although the volume, mass, and inertia of a half-sized humanoid such as a Hobbit is one-eighth a standard-sized human's, the strength of muscles is based on their cross sectional area, making Hobbits proportionally twice as strong as a human, and much more agile. This is also why ants are so strong compared to their mass. However, for this trope, Rule of Cool is in play whenever the Pint-Sized Powerhouse is as strong as, or stronger than, an average-sized human. See also Apron Matron, for when small old ladies do this, and Mini Mook. Cute Bruiser, for when they're young, or at least very young-looking. Killer Rabbit covers "harmless" animals. See Weak, but Skilled for a common explanation behind this. Waif-Fu and Glacier Waif are subtropes. Examples:
    open/close all folders 
    Music 
    Mythology and Religion 
    Professional Wrestling 
    Tabletop Games 
    Web Original

Phoenix_and_Document_2.gifI'd say that the trope's more so quite common, than unique.

With such, making him bigger and bulkier does not take away what makes him unique, so much as it just changes something that the defendant, has a strong, tight preference to.

Edited by Jovahexeon la Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yikes, overdid it a bit and misplaced. Nearly got my own message obscured. Okay then, best take out some, re-arrange here and there.

Such an outright statement based on mere appearance is rather discriminatory. Especially when there's no solid proof to validate these claims. And do elaborate on how he's "the same" as this majority you claim and speak of.

Since when in the games was Knuckles a character wielding archeology pursuits as one of his major character traits? This sounds rather fanon.

objection__by_sonicspeedz-d5zkgjp.png

The present statement suggests that Knuckles was unique within the franchise by being a small yet strong guy.Phoenix_Desk_Slam.gif However, that in turn contradicts the existence ofPointing_at_u_cus_im_better_than_u.gifseveral characters within the franchise!!!!!!

A Mr. Mighty the Armadillo who showed great feats of strength in the SEGASonic game,

by technicality, Mr. Metal Sonic  who too has shown powerhouse array of abilities and strength, despite his size.

A Ms. Amy Rose , exhibit C herself, this particular pink hedgehog is well-renowned for being athletic, and quite the brutal physical devastator in combat, and wields a gigantic hammer with suitable and notable strength present.

Also calling to the stand, the Zeti known as Zeena while among the smaller members of the Deadly Six, Zeena has been shown to wield, heave and swing (with a hint of grace too) giant snowman mechs with her brute strength, and has also been seen using enhanced powers at Lava Mountain Zone  while engaging the enemy.

Let's not forget the ever small, "Ultimate Lifeform", now either. Exhibit E, Mr. Shadow the HedgehogShadow_the_hedgehog_by_fentonxd-d5u0edu.Credited as the ultimate lifeform, the evident subject has been shown and documented, to be capable of bearing arms larger than his entire body, carrying innumerable items, and playing pickup sticks with gigantic objects such as platforms, rubble, buses, you name it! And yes, he too is quite small.

And finally, let's not forget the bluester himself!Sonic_modern_and_classic_designs.pnghe's always been a powerhouse, samshing through walls, spindashing through hard metal and machinery, taking down gargantuan foes, even without the use of his super form at times. While much can be attributed to his speed, he has been shown to be able to carry things as large as himself, even while running at high speed. His spinball, spindash and other spin forms are strong enough to cut through metal, burrow through the ground, smash through surfaces by stomping, or break down walls. And he has routinely exhibited the ability to tear robots apart with sheer force.

Therefore.... 

Knuckles, unique-ness within the franchise is not strongly based on being small yet strong, because there's so gosh dang many characters that have that card in their stockpiles. As for outside the franchise, well:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PintsizedPowerhouse

Phoenix_and_Document_2.gifI'd say that the trope's more so quite common, than unique.

With such, making him bigger and bulkier does not take away what makes him unique, so much as it just changes something that the defendant, has a strong, tight preference to.

Much better!

Seriously, is it remotely possible for you to maintain a conversation without constructing a post with so much accompanying media that it obscures whatever points your being made?

Absolutely! In fact, this is the first time in a while I've run the risk of that happening. Luckily the potential problem has been squandered.

Maybe you shouldn't use so many images in the middle of your sentences. Makes it harder to read your post when SUDDENLY AMY!

... I do believe you missed Nepenthe's point, Jovah.

Regardless, Shadow of those is the only one shown with strength, and even then it's not HIS thing; Sonic is strong but they never focus on it, Amy has the magic hammer, Metal is a robot. Of the good guys, the main good guys, the one whose THING is STRONG is Knuckles, which made him different from others whose main ability was strength (Vector, Big, Storm).

(Mighty was never strong in a game and is irrelevant as he's a forgotten character)

And outside of the franchise, yes, it's not a nonexistent trope in character design. Especially when you add anime. It's just severely underrepresented, especially in modern types where people are taking the "individual strong sillhouettes" as law instead of good suggestion and thus every strong character is strongman-type.

RE: Knuckles' other main point being archaeology- from his love of exploring for treasure and ruins, etc.? It's not displayed prominently in the games, but the only thing that is is "he's strong" anyway. So shoving it into Amy just removes another underrepresented point of his instead of exploring it.

...what?

He's basically saying, in an over-the-top and somewhat-humorous parody of Phoenix Wright kind of way, that Knuckles being the "pint-sized powerhouse" isn't what makes Knuckles Knuckles by citing other characters from the Sega Sonic continuity that could just as easily (if not more so) fit into the characteristic traits of the trope; and as such arguing that bulking Rad Red up and making him LOOK the part of Team Sonic's strong-man doesn't take anything away from his character as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe you shouldn't use so many images in the middle of your sentences. Makes it harder to read your post when SUDDENLY AMY!

A moderator is already taking care of the situation, so please refrain form backseat modding.

Anyway, this debate is not about the quality of one post.  For future quoting's sake, everyone please snip the quotes so that they only contain the tidbits you need.  Quoting the post in and of itself is causing the page load times to skyrocket.  Seriously.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah that's what I'm getting at. Knuckles doesn't really have the "strong but small" trait all to himself within the franchise, nor has it really been focused on itself.

Knuckles having strength as a focus, while being one of the smaller characters, are two different things that happened to get paired with each other. It was never really a single focus of sorts that sustained his character, and him not being as short in Boom doesn't take away said unique-ness outside of assumption and green eyes territory.

RE: Knuckles' other main point being archaeology- from his love of exploring for treasure and ruins, etc.?

Ehh, not really ringing any bells concerning the games. If anything, he's more so seen, gone hunting for Master Emerald shards, keys, the like, on a mission pertaining to the task at hand, rather than as a hobby.

Knuckles has expressed archaeology knowledge in Zero Gravity, espousing information about that Gigan Rocks area like an actually competent individual. It was an interesting take on him to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

And in addition to that, he's both a skilled treasure hunter and naturally very versed in the powers of the Emeralds. I think he was quite knowledgeable of the ancients in Battle and Chronicles too, but it's up to you whether or not you wish to count the latter. Either way, it was a fitting and interesting trait for him to have. It'll be quite a shame if that's all gone in Boom and is instead on Amy. Amy certainly needs fleshing out, but they could have drawn from her hammer and long forgotten tarot skills instead, almost making her magical.