Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

Ohhhh yes please let that be Marine~ TwT And from what I can tell, her design looks really good. I need as better screenshot!

52f46082427a9.jpg

It would help if the photos weren't so low-res. 

So urm yeah... just something I've noticed. Might be nothing but... well....

12356164795_cacf5843a0_o.png

And take a look at this one that doesn't show anything.

52f414d426e78.preview-300.jpg

Guys... these pictures to me look more like screencaps, the way the image is framed, the fact that almost all of them show the guy talking and gesturing.

The fact that in both of them the guy isn't looking at the camera or the work, but at someone who is obviously talking to him.

I think there could be a video on the way.

That definitely does look just like Marine, and if that's the case, more credence to the original cast coming back. I can't imagine them NOT bringing at least the most important and recurring main cast back as recurring characters. And Marine was an incredibly minor one-off character.

52f46082427a9.jpg

It would help if the photos weren't so low-res.

...I'm seeing a boomerang in her hand and a boomerang-shaped head.
  • Thumbs Up 2

So urm yeah... just something I've noticed. Might be nothing but... well....

12356164795_cacf5843a0_o.png

Some of those are pretty neat, I like the Marine one.

Except that beaver thing, that's giving me cancer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic was going to be wearing trousers too... .. .... 

Who are the people working on this again?

This part stuck out to me too. What was with the big push to have these characters wear extraneous shit?

• Thumbs Up 2

Can we keep the talk about voices, voice actors and character speculations (i.e. who we think is in the show or not) out of this thread please? It is off-topic, as this thread is about the new designs of the characters. Feel free to talk about any of those things in either  or please. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 5

52f414d3bad9d.image.jpg

Hey, you can see the HUD in this shot! Health bars confirmed?

...Also, is that how WIi U dev kits look? It looks weird.

Obvious fake.

Everyone knows girls don't play videogames.

ph34r.png

• Thumbs Up 1

...I'm seeing a boomerang in her hand and a boomerang-shaped head.

I think there's just enough detail in there for someone to make a mock-up, so if someone's up to it that might help.

This part stuck out to me too. What was with the big push to have these characters wear extraneous shit?

To be fair the new designers were probably given some degree of freedom, so taking western tastes and all into account I guess they just thought they'd be creative with their take.

• Thumbs Up 3

...Guys, that was obviously Sonic. You couldn't have mistaken Roger's voice that easily, could you?

Shadow is definitely not going to be in this.

You can't say that just yet, you never know. This is a whole new ball park, anything could happen.

Can we keep the talk about voices, voice actors and character speculations (i.e. who we think is in the show or not) out of this thread please? It is off-topic, as this thread is about the new designs of the characters. Feel free to talk about any of those things in either  or please. Thanks.

It was only brought up because of speculation about new character designs. Someone mentioned potentially seeing Shadow, and I commented that I thought I heard Shadow's voice in the trailer. After directly comparing it more carefully to his actual Kirk Thornton voice I'm pretty sure its not him, but the possibility that this is actually Marine being redesigned still leaves the possibility and likelihood that Shadow will popup as well.

On that note, it also provides greater possibilities for Blaze, too. Blaze is more closely connected to Marine as they're from the same dimension.

I truly like the redesigns of Tails and Amy. Amy actually looks really really cool. The only thing is that her voice may not really fit well with the design, as said in an earlier post.

The Eggman one isn't bad either. His design seems to change quite a bit, so I was more used to seeing him differently. His design reminds me of Classic Robotnik of the Genesis era, actually. 

Sonic is going to take a little more getting used to. I don't really like how tall his legs are. And, I hate to be one of those people, but his blue arms bother me a bit. It's not as much "ZOMG I HATE THEM HOW DARE SEGA APPROVE THIS", but rather, what prompted them to change the color? Was there some sort of arm-color-change meeting that was held to decide on this? Or was it just a huge design oversight? Eh, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Oh, and his scarf is kinda adorable.

Knuckles, however. Ugh. I had a bad feeling once I saw the silhouettes a few months back. He just looks… uncomfortable in his body or something. Poor Knuckles. 

And the sport tape throws me off as well. A little bit here and there would've been ok, but it seems that they were really going for that Halloween mummy look, yeah? 

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair the new designers were probably given some degree of freedom, so taking western tastes and all into account I guess they just thought they'd be creative with their take.

I don't mind people being creative, but I am interested in creative processes. What is the method to the madness that would assure a professional artist that telling SoJ to their faces Sonic wearing pants was a good idea that needed to happen??? I don't get it at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes. The...back of his coat. That's definitely what I'm focused on in those screenshots.

*sweats*

• Thumbs Up 8

His new shape means we'll probably also be spared the standard selection of fat jokes. More room for bald and/or moustache jokes~!

Just out of curiosity, is there a serious reason as to why everybody has wrap on them? It looks neat, but... I don't get it. Especially on their shoes. Logically is it just for looks???? Didn't know if there would be a real reason it would be there. Maybe the hands, I get that. But shoes???

• Thumbs Up 2

Just out of curiosity, is there a serious reason as to why everybody has wrap on them? It looks neat, but... I don't get it. Especially on their shoes. Logically is it just for looks???? Didn't know if there would be a real reason it would be there. Maybe the hands, I get that. But shoes???

It's to cover the burn marks they got from being tortured by Eggman. They wear gloves because their hands are still extremely sensitive from the healing process.

And Knuckles doesn't wear the gloves because he's tougher than leather.

• Thumbs Up 1

None I can tell. I feel Knuckles is the only character that wraps actually make sense on (being a fighter and all). Sonic and the others it just seems unnecessary--maybe Sonic's shoes fall apart easily and he just wraps them up because he's too cheap to get new kicks? Or maybe the designers just thought it looked cool and went way overboard.

Because Sonic's going Indiana Jones, babay!

*cue Indy music*

It seems like they were given a mandate from Sonic Team to make the characters look X amount diffferent from the main-series versions, but ST vetoed anything they felt was too different (like pants). I guess sports tape was the best compromise they could come to.

Also it's totally super rad, which kind of fits Sonic pretty well. Makes me want to hop on my scooter and play some pogs.

I think the Boom designs are quite nice. Everyone designs have really grown on me quite fast actually. I know I'll be weird here, but my favorite thing is seeing Sonic with that brown scarf around his neck now. At one point in time, I always imagined that if the day ever came when SEGA wanted to redesign Sonic he should get a brown scarf. Why? Because to me not only does it look cool, but I always felt it would make Sonic seem a bit more like an adventurer, and maybe even a rebel seeing how he's fighting against Eggman and whatever ideas Eggman have. I think I'm so glad they gave him a scarf here to the point where I didn't even notice his arms are blue. XD

Marine?

.. I love Marine! *interest re-newed!*

Need a clearer shot so I can design a costume for cos-play XD

The beaver-chef looks like he was plucked straight out of AoStH

• Thumbs Up 2

The vibe I'm getting here is "Sega meets AoStH," especially with Eggman, who borrows cartoon Ivo's physique and affinity for gaudy military jackets while still keeping that Roosevelt flair of his game self. In terms of personality, it seems like a beautiful combination of all my favorite Robotnik traits as well. I have a feeling Boom Eggman is going to be very high on my list of Eggmans when this is all said and done.

• Thumbs Up 2