Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

I'll be honest, I'm fully supportive of the new looks; even if they go beyond Sonic Boom (both game and cartoon) and into new games.  the reason being? it's different. it gives an overall fresh new look to iconic characters. sure, it'll take some getting used to for some people at first, but i find that it'll eventually start to grown on everybody. don't get me wrong; the design changes they gave us back when Sonic Adventure came out gave a fresh look to the characters as well. At that time which was 1998.  they've been sticking to the same look for years now and I'll be honest, now that it's early on into 2014; comparing the new looks from this game and cartoon as compared to the previous appearances..those designs have started to become kind of dated.

Simply put, it's a welcomed change if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, everyone has grown on me...Except knuckles. Like I said before I would have no problem with the redesign going into mainstream (Except knux). I kinda wish that sonic's scarf wasn't tied and flowed when he ran. also wish it was an actual SCARF, seriously people, its a bandana.

Tails is really the only one I find even partway tolerable, if only because he's changed the least. To a lesser extent, Amy as well.

That aside, kill it. Kill it with fucking fire. 

Where do I start? The blue arms? The lankiness? The awkward, weird, extra spikes? Or maybe the fact they're wearing so many bandages on their wrists and ankles that it looks like they're trying to hide copious amounts of self-harm (although with designs like that, I wouldn't blame them if that were the case)? And Buffles the Fingerchidna is a whole can of worms all by himself.

They just look so awkward, unnecessary, and just plain wrong to me. Sonic was designed in Japan back in the late 80s/ early 90s with the intent of appealing to a worlwide audience already. They took a lot of care to make sure that Sonic's design didn't tie itself to any particular nation or culture, despite some American influence. These new designs look like Sonic is a brand-new 2014 American franchise with zero appeal outside of its immediate target audience.

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry at how bad these designs are when I first saw them. That hasn't changed. They just look painfully overdesigned and are the complete opposite of timeless.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like how Eggman is an upside down Egg instead of a right side one up, now. I guess that's what happens when you start lifting. Anyway, I can't say I have anything against ANY of the new designs. I have to admit I even kind of like Muscles the Echidna, maybe perhaps just due to the sheer ridiculousness of it all. The animations in the game are kind of weird, though. Giving Sonic joints and such.

Also, I do not, and will never care about blue arms.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the designs for the most part. My only real problem is how awful the models look in gameplay footage, I really hope that they fix that. They look fine in the artwork and in the cartoon, though, which is a relief. Also Sonic's spin attack in-game looked...weird for some reason, not necessarily in motion but when I saw a screenshot of it.

I think my only nitpick is the bandages, they're not awful to the point of offensiveness or anything, just...kind of random?? I'm interested in hearing if there's some kind of logic behind them or if it's just a random design choice.

it looks like they're trying to hide copious amounts of self-harm (although with designs like that, I wouldn't blame them if that were the case)?

That's, um...a bit tasteless. Fair enough if you don't like the designs, but wow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman's build is less egg-shaped and more Fat-Strong, like the Heavy from TF2. 

I2wBE.pngtumblr_n0m004qKe81s7jhgfo1_400.jpg

• Very broad shoulders. 
  • Long arms and big hands.
  • Fat but not completely rotund.
  • Relatively tiny ass legs goddamn.

Not complaining, though. I like the design and it's easily my favorite to come out of this show. 

52f414d3bad9d.image.jpg

Hey, you can see the HUD in this shot! Health bars confirmed?

...Also, is that how WIi U dev kits look? It looks weird.

Wii U dev kits are indeed just big old boxes with the Wii U's guts in them.

Sonic is supposed to be an adventurer and he looks like an adventurer here, albeit more like Indiana Jones/Nathan Drake but that's fine. I don't see why Sonic having blue arms should be a big deal, it's a little odd considering Amy doesn't have pink arms, but it's not like it really changes much.

Knuckles is supposed to be the muscle of the group and he looks big and strong now. I don't particularly care for this design, it looks a bit awkward because his head doesn't quite match up, but I appreciate them trying to make his role in the group more obvious.

Tails is supposed to be the young, nerdy mechanic and he looks more like it now with his accessories. He's generally always had some accessory or other but it's nice to see it more emphasised.

Amy has always been a slightly lacklustre character to me personally because of how often she ends up being pushed back in to the role of simply chasing after Sonic. In some games she's been allowed to come forward and be a part of the actual game and take part in the adventures too, but then they'll just push her back again. This design implies that she can really hold her own, which I like. Plus, it's not like Amy hasn't had a total redesign before. I don't understand why it would matter if Amy keeps the same voice with this design though? I'm not a fan of her current voice but I don't see why it would be a problem.

I'm not sure about Eggman's design because I'm so used to him being rounder but it implies that he's to be taken a little more seriously this time. Maybe?

I do however agree that giving them joints does look off because although they've always had them, Sonic has generally been noodle-y so it'll take some getting used to. But it's not like it'll affect game play.

I'm really surprised everyone likes Amy so much. I can wrap my head around all the other designs (although Knuckles apparently missed leg day...), but Amy looks so cheap and provocative. She's the opposite of cute now.

Also, the designs (clothing and sports wrap alike) look like they are going to get old really fast. This won't age well.

DBlUaSA.png?1

I also don't enjoy the way Sonic's eyes are animated. The middle part of his eye ridges (?) is not supposed to retract that far up, and his eye lids look like blinds. This seems to be a typical feature of western Sonic renditions, but I never particularly liked it.

photo-322.jpg?_r=1391739971

photo-3809.png?_r=1391730142

Or maybe the fact they're wearing so many bandages on their wrists and ankles that it looks like they're trying to hide copious amounts of self-harm (although with designs like that, I wouldn't blame them if that were the case)?

... Yeeeeeah, let's not head there, man. That's just plain tasteless towards those who actually do suffer from that behavior.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm really surprised everyone likes Amy so much. I can wrap my head around all the other designs (although Knuckles apparently missed leg day...), but Amy looks so cheap and provocative. She's the opposite of cute now.

Wait, what?

She's wearing a red and white dress, just of a different cut, and she's wearing sensible shoes, like she always has, and bandages like the rest of them. The dress is slimmed down, the bandages are around her waist which I suppose may emphasise it a little more but really her old dress was also nipped in at the waist, and she's wearing stockings. If anything the stockings don't make much sense because in reality they'd slip down all the time which would be very annoying and impractical, but otherwise.

I don't really see the problem here?

She's just not cutesy like before but she is still cute.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm loving all of the new designs myself. Knuckles is obviously still controversial but I think it's good that they've changed stuff around and made his strength more apparent in his design.

Tails and Amy are mostly unchanged with the exception of their accessories.

Eggman's just awesome.

Sonic looks good too though I'd prefer if the loose spikes were placed a litttle more randomly around his head to give a mose, messy hair, look to him. They're too even and just look like thinner spikes, there's no real reason for them to be there. Blue arms are a minor annoyance, I think the peach arms broke up his colours a little better, right now there's just too much blue in his design...though i'm well aware I'm only thinking that because I'm used to seeing less blue. The coloured arms never bothered me on Knux or Tails. They're only bugging me on Sonic because it's something my eyes aren't used to.

Shadowprime was onto something with that brown scarf all this time...

You just made me a happy duck posting that.

This new sonic design is pretty much what I've been drawing for years so I'm pretty chuffed with it.

I think the only design I'm a bit eh on is Amy, it seems rather slapdash, I always saw Amy as rather fashionable so seeing her clothes look like something she threw together dilly dally is a bit odd. (I mean bandages as a belt pleaseeeee)

You just made me a happy duck posting that.

This new sonic design is pretty much what I've been drawing for years so I'm pretty chuffed with it.

I think the only design I'm a bit eh on is Amy, it seems rather slapdash, I always saw Amy as rather fashionable so seeing her clothes look like something she threw together dilly dally is a bit odd. (I mean bandages as a belt pleaseeeee)

I know! I've been drawing the cast in sports tape/bandages for years when I do my own thing and break off from the game canon style, so I got a bit giddy seeing Sonic like some desert wastelander with his current garb.

OK, here we gooo: I think the designs are.. not that great. Too much bandage action going on. Sonic is way too tall and what's the deal with the scarf?! Knuckles reminds me of an oversized doofus (think Predator/Stretch Armstrong). wacko.png  Amy and Tails don't really get me all that worked up for some reason, I guess because their designs kinda fit them, other than the bandage crap. rolleyes.gif BUT! I will say after seeing the trailer that the game looks like it will be a lot of fun, and that's a plus! The TV show doesn't seem all that bad either. I guess only time will tell.

Wait, what?

She's wearing a red and white dress, just of a different cut, and she's wearing sensible shoes, [...]

I don't really see the problem here?

She's just not cutesy like before but she is still cute.

I don't know. Maybe it's the look on her face that makes it so awkward to me. I find it really fascinating that everyone else thinks it's cute *shrugs*. Apparently I'm not the target audience here.

Or maybe the fact they're wearing so many bandages on their wrists and ankles that it looks like they're trying to hide copious amounts of self-harm (although with designs like that, I wouldn't blame them if that were the case)? 

This is disgusting, and in extremely poor taste.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't care what Eggman looks like because god damn, it's Mike Pollock that has made me enjoy Eggman for so long and a lot of us have grown up with Robotnik's form constantly changing (all the way back from the early cartoons and up). I think he looks pretty swave.

I'm...kind of okay with the character designs. Like I said somewhere before I barely noticed the blue arms because they were so fluid and looked natural, Knuckles seems to match his personality a bit more but his face looks odd, like they took the head from his old model and stuck it on a big cast. Will he still be able to glide? How would he glide?

Source

Every character brings something to the table, from Sonic's speed, to Amy's agility, Knuckles' strength, and Tails' range. There's also co-op play available.

... and Amy is now the group archaeologist, with knowledge of the new areas the team is exploring.

From what we can tell so far, Amy is the only character who has seen a significant redesign extending beyond just her appearance. There's been zero-mention of her infatuation with Sonic, and she seems like anything but "the girl" now. I hope she still does like Sonic and that he doesn't return the favour, but she's got a whole new and interesting angle going on now too. Acrobatic, agile and smart, no qualities she ever really had before. I'm seriously excited to see her.

Knuckles... I'm not 100% convinced they'll part with the "Knuckles is dumb" thing, but there's no mention of that so far. We'll have to wait and see there.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's funny how the one character who could be handling ancient tribal stuff this time around is Amy instead of Knuckles.

But once again, separate verse. So this is no big deal so long as Knuckles is done well.

I'd like to see official art of Amy where she doesn't look like she's having lust overdrive. It's a really bizarre choice.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's funny how the one character who could be handling ancient tribal stuff this time around is Amy instead of Knuckles.

But once again, separate verse. So this is no big deal so long as Knuckles is done well.

I did always like Knuckles being treated as an expert in the field. It certainly fit him. But so long as he doesn't suffer for it, giving that trait to Amy could be really good.

Personally when it came to the character redesign's I like them.  Quite a bit.  

Sonic still looks pretty much the same with the exception that his hair is a little more wild.

Tails looks awesome thanks to the tool belt.

Amy.  Thank god Amy no longer is wearing that panty shocking dress anymore (sorry but that just annoys me)

Knuckles... well... I can see why they did it.  Really the only thing I have a problem with is his head.  It just doesn't fit right with.