Awoo.

Most Heroic Sonic character(s)?

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I don't think anyone's demanding that Sonic unanimously get singled-out for praise regarding his heroics. We're just calling-out the belief that this topic is being Sonic-centric when it's nothing of the sort.

Nobody is stopping you from talking about other characters, but there's nothing wrong with talking about Sonic either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there isnt Im not afraid to mention Sonic. I just think people value his friends heroics more than Sonics because they are kids or are they edgy

I know there isnt Im not afraid to mention Sonic. I just think people value his friends heroics more than Sonics because they are kids or are they edgy

With all due respect, I think that's a big generalization. Some people just genuinely prefer other characters and their heroics more than Sonic, just like how some people genuinely prefer other characters and their heroics (ie: Luigi) over Mario.

• Thumbs Up 1

But remember, don't think you can't look at Sonic/Mario/*insert other main character of a series* as the most heroic, that's fine and understandable. Some people just like to give other characters respect, that's all. smile.png

In Sonic X
Tails had to kill Cosmo to save the galaxy.
He thought that Sonic would be able to save her.  
Tails did what he had to do. But Sonic could not save Cosmo.

I think the reason it's so hard to think of other examples is because most of the other, more well-known characters are driven almost entirely by personal desire and not so much for the altruism of a thing. Heroism is a happy accident for characters like Knuckles or Rouge, who are for the most part merely concerned with jewels, or for characters like Amy , a character whose history mostly revolves around a perhaps more important main character. The pool is a small one to draw from, at least going by popular characters.

We might get more varied results if we glimpse towards the Tikals, the Emerls, and so on. Again, not astounding writing, but interesting characters I hope to see elaborated on.

EDIT: Sorry if that's messy, typing from my iPod and homework is happening and ugh

I think the reason it's so hard to think of other examples is because most of the other, more well-known characters are driven almost entirely by personal desire and not so much for the altruism of a thing. Heroism is a happy accident for characters like Knuckles or Rouge, who are for the most part merely concerned with jewels, or for characters like Amy , a character whose history mostly revolves around a perhaps more important main character. The pool is a small one to draw from, at least going by popular characters.

We might get more varied results if we glimpse towards the Tikals, the Emerls, and so on. Again, not astounding writing, but interesting characters I hope to see elaborated on.

EDIT: Sorry if that's messy, typing from my iPod and homework is happening and ugh

Does heroism have to come from purely altruistic reasons? In fact, are altruistic reasons a personal desire in itself.

Does heroism have to come from purely altruistic reasons? In fact, are altruistic reasons a personal desire in itself?

Full Definition of ALTRUISM

:  unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others

That's the sticking point. Heroism needs to, in some fashion, extend beyond self-desire in order to be, but people are complex and multifaceted, so it's hard to root out in most common cases. Or rather, it's hard to uncover unselfish motives when selfish ones can be manufactured at the drop of a hat. This is why I used Gamma as my primary example: assuming that Star Wars isn't a documentary, there's no real way to personally profit off of one's own death. Thus self-sacrifice in this manner, if consciously committed, has no real choice but to be heroic. Gamma has no other, better options where he's at, and it's either him or the bird. He chooses the latter.

Yes, altruism needs to exist for heroism to be possible. It's what separates Superman from Lex Luthor: both benefit humanity, but only one of them is a hero.

10. Big The Cat

9. Blaze The Cat

8. Silver The Hedgehog

7. Espio The Chameleon

6. Charmy The Bee

5. Shadow The Hedgehog

4. Amy The Hedgehog

3. Knuckles The Echidna

2. Tails The Fox

1. Dr. Eggman

why Eggman? hes the villian

I know but he is heroic he has teamed up with Sonic multiple times

Eggman only team up with Sonic to save his butt. At the end he wants to rule the world. Its your opinion so i respect.

Well. If you measure heroism in terms of number of acts or objective scale, Sonic is the obvious and probably correct answer. What with him being the star of the series, and the threat being on a global (or larger!) scale more often than not.

But Sonic's heroism...its become kind of routine. We know that Sonic will win. And Sonic knows that Sonic will win, at least most of the time. While he is certainly doing good and saving a lot of people, going into a fight you know you can win isn't what I'd call the ultimate form of heroism.

While there's a lot that goes into being a hero, and a lot that can be argued over, I think one of the things that identifies a truly heroic act is going beyond the norm. To do good with the power you have is certainly admirable, but it doesn't become truly heroic until you reach down deep inside for the strength you never knew you had.

With that in mind, I would say that I consider Tikal to be the most heroic character in the series.

Tikal was not a fighter. She didn't have any kind of special powers (not while she was alive, anyway). She didn't travel the world beating down villains or slaying monsters. She was an ordinary girl, who just wanted to protect the innocent and defenseless. And to do so she stood up against her father, she stood up against an army, and she stood up against even Perfect Chaos, in her own way. She had no way to fight but to put her own life in danger, and in the end she sacrificed herself to save the world.

• Thumbs Up 8

10. Big The Cat

9. Blaze The Cat

8. Silver The Hedgehog

7. Espio The Chameleon

6. Charmy The Bee

5. Shadow The Hedgehog

4. Amy The Hedgehog

3. Knuckles The Echidna

2. Tails The Fox

1. Dr. Eggman

Lists like this aren't allowed without reasons to explain each choice. Otherwise, they're just considered spam.

• Thumbs Up 3

But Sonic's heroism...its become kind of routine. We know that Sonic will win. And Sonic knows that Sonic will win, at least most of the time. While he is certainly doing good and saving a lot of people, going into a fight you know you can win isn't what I'd call the ultimate form of heroism.

While there's a lot that goes into being a hero, and a lot that can be argued over, I think one of the things that identifies a truly heroic act is going beyond the norm. To do good with the power you have is certainly admirable, but it doesn't become truly heroic until you reach down deep inside for the strength you never knew you had.

You mean like how Sonic was portrayed in Black Knight? With Merlina beating the ever-loving crap out of him and him continually opposing her even though he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on. Regardless of that, he refused to allow her to violate everyone else's rights out of selfish sadness. Not once did I ever get the impression that Sonic was going to pull a win out of his ass and he never did in this instance in any way, shape or form since he worked for what he accomplished.

In addition, this looks like the face of a guy who totally wasn't expecting this to happen to him, debunking the notion that this was something he knew he was going to win at all along;

1r89ch.png

She had no way to fight but to put her own life in danger, and in the end she sacrificed herself to save the world.

I don't get the impression that Tikal's demise was intentional. There was absolutely nothing to indicate that she was intending to die, only that she intended to seal Chaos in the Master Emerald. It ripping-out her soul was an unforseen side efffect.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic doesnt always KNOW he will win he ASSUMES (?) he will win. and sometimes hes right but he doesnt win just like that.

Sonic doesnt always KNOW he will win he ASSUMES (?) he will win. and sometimes hes right but he doesnt win just like that.

It's good that Sonic does possess that level of confidence to do many extraordinary things with his life. On the other hand, I do see Sonic as being the designated hero. He will always win, but that isn't an issue since you should want him to win. He will always win since it's his franchise. His ultimate victory is a given. He has enough confidence in himself to save the day and has the skill to bolster such faith in his ability to do just that. However, I want to see Sonic unsure of himself at certain times. I don't want Sonic to doubt himself at every challenge, but I don't want him to have a moment or two when he thinks that he may not be able to save the day. I want Sonic to throw himself into situations that may not always spell out an obvious victory from the onset. That would make his triumphs all the more powerful because he didn't immediately assume that he would come out on top. I would love to see him as being selfless, humble and brave in the face of overwhelming odds. As much as I want Sonic to succeed, I don't want it to be an easy road for him. I want him to grow with each adventure and not go through the motions as if none of it could faze him. 

but Sonic has been humble and selfless all the time and he has been where victory wasnt at the push of a button. He has done all that.

• 2 months later...

This may have been mentioned before (I'd be more surprised if it wasn't), but the most heroic character in the series, in my opinion, is Maria Robotnik.

Maria is a sickly girl who's dream was to visit the planet she loves again, but her dream was cut short by the very people whom she believed were supposed to protect her. She gave her life to protect Shadow from G.U.N., literally taking the bullet for her grandfather's sins, and yet she still wished for ALL the people on Sonic's world to be happy. The amount of selflessness and hope this girl holds, even if life was unfair to her, was and still is amazing. I see her as more of a hero than even Sonic sometimes, simply because unlike Sonic, she doesn't have the power to change things, but she still tries. If that's not heroic, I don't know what is. ^_^

I just wish we knew more about Maria other than the short flashbacks we receive, but oh well.

• 7 years later...
On 2/10/2014 at 8:15 AM, Dr. Crusher said:

This is probably going to sound like a weird answer, but I'm going to go with Tails.

Sonic has done all these things in the games, and I know that he's not just doing it because "it's cool" or anything, I know he's a genuine good guy with his heart in the right place, but... I don't know. Call it bias due to my own dislike for the character, but something rubs me the wrong way about him. He does all these things, but he's usually annoying me while he does it, so perhaps that's preventing me from fully appreciating his actions as much as others do.

But Tails... Tails was with Sonic on his adventures during Sonic 2 and S3&K. Those were the first few adventures he had with the hedgehog, and so - call this fan interpretation all you want - because he was still a little kid, there's no doubt that he must have been frightened by all the robots and factories and giant machines and occasional forest fires and so on. Yet, he still carried on with Sonic. He put his presumed fear behind him and still helped in saving their world from Robotnik. More than once. It's one thing to save the world all the time when you're a fearless joker, but when you're clearly scared for your life, yet still risk your life repeatedly to save the world and lives of others? I like that. I like that a lot. It makes it all the more amazing when the person is able to succeed, or at least it is to me.

And then there's the famous example of Adventure 1, in which Robotnik fired a missile out of desperation to destroy the entirety of Station Square, not even caring if his own life ended because of it. Whoever decided to get rid of that missile without it going all explody-explody on the city would have a colossal weight on their shoulders... but Tails (who is still - and I really must stress this - a young child) still went straight for it, beating Robotnik to the missile, and then defeating the doctor himself in his four-legged giant soon afterwards. Let's not forget him personally stopping Robotnik again in Adventure 2 for Sonic, and assisting both Sonic and Knuckles in beating Neo Metal Sonic and his horrible disguise skills. Even that little sad speech of his at the end of Battle had a Dr. Light touch to it, and in Advance 3, he could have easily just threw G-Merl's parts away and not thought anything of it, but he didn't. He fixed G-Merl up and gave him the original Gizoid's memories (presumably), letting the droid start his life over with Cream and Vanilla. That might be too minor of an act to count as properly "heroic", but fuck it, not when I'm typing it isn't.

And in Colours and Lost World, he takes the bullet for traps that were meant for Sonic, not even aware of what either trap would do to him. Sonic might be the one who often saves the people, but who is it that saves the hero himself? The answer is the hero's best friend, as it should be.

Sure, Tails might not have the most to his name compared to someone like Sonic, but for me, it's not about who has the biggest list, or how big the actions are. Sure, those are admirable, but just because someone else might not have done as much doesn't mean their own actions should be invalidated or ignored. For me, it's all about your attitude and how you go about it. Tails' humble and occasionally fearful nature makes him feel more like a hero to me, or at least what I like in "a hero" as it were. (And before anyone starts, no, I don't believe he was being a braggart in either Colours or Lost World, that was just typical best friend teasing banter with Sonic, as well as emotional insecurity in the case of the latter. And if you're going to call him out for that, then what about Mr. Dude with 'Tude himself?) It may be biased - although I hope it isn't of course - but the question is simply "Most Heroic Sonic Character(s)?", and there's no definite right or wrong answer to such a question, so... I'm sticking with Tails. http://a.board.sonicstadium.org/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Not just that he also tends to put his life on the line to protect other people! No one ever talks about that..

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2014 at 8:49 AM, Vertekins said:

I don't care for characters other than Sonic when it comes to judging who's "better" in the heroism stakes because none of them IMO have come close to matching his selflessness, resolve and kindness. Tails doing stuff like pushing Sonic out of danger and taking the hit himself as well as saving Station Square are awesomely heroic yes. But are these examples of heroism more copious or much more notable than what Sonic does?

.....Ummm,

No.

This isn't a devaluing of what Tails has done. It's just pointing out that Sonic is more heroic by merit of consistently having performed what are IMO more and greater heroic acts.

The same goes for Big and Gamma with their far, far less notable actions. Gamma especially since I don't see it's consciousness as being profound as it always came off to me as so single-mindedly dead set on freeing the animals from it's brothers that it doesn't exhibit anything that would lend credence to it doing something noble. It's not alive either. Which to me offsets the gravity of it's so-called self-sacrificial actions (Gamma never sacrificed itself anyway)

But that's only my view.

So I'm perfectly comfortable exulting Sonic's selfless heroism which he doesn't always do for self gratification (That's BS) and I stand by Sonikku-Chan's belief that Sonic doesn't get the credibility he deserves. But then he's a highly misunderstood character anyway regarding his softer side. You only have to see the clueless responses to his final wish in SatSR to see that and that is far from the only instance that proves it.

• 3 weeks later...

Shadow is probably most heroic after Sonic and Knuckles, he was ready to sacrifice everything and only did things because he was misguided and for the sake of love to people.