Awoo.

Nintendo Direct (Wii U/3DS Spring Titles) - February 13 [11PM CET/2PM PT]

Carbo

I always liked Strife for Smash 4. To me names like that just sound better than what we're getting for Smash 4. Also, I prefer it when we can just call the games Melee or Brawl than always SSB4 in converstaions.

Edit: Saw this on GAF:

QdR9Fcw.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100602803&postcount=2425

So, 41 minutes. That's the longest it's been, right? E3's might compare to the length.

SSB4 doesn't have a "proper" title because it was conceived as part of Nintendo's ultra-generic period that's been ongoing for a while now.  That's probably also why it doesn't have a story mode.  They don't want to take any kind of risk that might make their product stand out unfavourably; hence also plotless Paper Mario: Sticker Star, generic titles for Mario Karts 7 and 8, generic everything for Yoshi's New Island, etc.  Of course, one can also argue that this is also one of the reasons why they haven't been doing so well lately - as fans rather than casual gamers, it's very boring for us - so perhaps there's still time for them go back on this trend.

For the 3ds, I think we will see wanted and expected news like Laton X Ace Attourny coming to the states, (hopefully, please Square, don't be stupid man sad.png) Dragon Quest VII being localized for this fall, more info on announced 3ds games, and maybe show off Pokemon Z (don't the deffintive version of a Pokemon game come a year after the release of the vanilla versions?).

I'd forgotten about Dragon Quest VII 3DS.  Bravely Default is out everywhere now, has been out in Europe for months, so hopefully they'll no longer fear that a DQVII announcement might see everyone forget BD and save their pennies for DQVII instead.

As for Pokemon Z, hmm.  I doubt it, but let's look at the figures.  Emerald came out about two years after Ruby/Sapphire, with FireRed/LeafGreen falling in-between.  Platinum came about two years after Diamond/Pearl, but HeartGold/SoulSilver wasn't released until about a year after that.  B2W2 also took about a year and a half to two years after BW.  So the pattern is actually more like two years after the vanilla versions for the definitive version to come out.  Of course, anything can change, but it could be another year before Z is even announced, let alone released.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't call the new Smash Bros games... Er, New Super Smash Bros.

Sounds like the sort of thing they'd do.

Still, exciting prospects for this evening, even if it is considerably later than I'd like it to be.

Sakurai's directing folks to Nintendo Direct again. 
image_63363.jpg

"Tomorrow is Valentine's Day...and the day the new Nintendo Direct airs! It will stream in Japan at 7 AM so it's going to be a very early morning for us...!"

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/57021/sakurai-points-followers-to-nintendo-direct/

SSB4 doesn't have a "proper" title because it was conceived as part of Nintendo's ultra-generic period that's been ongoing for a while now. That's probably also why it doesn't have a story mode.

Smash_single-610x343.jpg

You know, everyone keeps saying this, but I've yet to actually see any indication he's doing this so much as taking the cutscenes out of singleplayer mode. The closest he's ever really come to saying anything to this effect is more or less stating that it won't be as grandiose as the Subspace Emmisary, and if anything I'd actually consider that an improvement.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not yet known if SSB4 has a story mode or not. It probably won't be anything like Subspace Emissary, but instead a bigger and more varied Adventure mode with no story attached to it.

Anyways, that's a very long Direct! O-O I think I might get popcorn and root beer ready for tonight.

Okay, cross-posting from the Wii U thread:

So I saw Soraya-san's tweets.

Generally speaking, I really can't contain my excitement--In Japan, there's even been an image going around in response to the news droughts Monolith Soft does when they withhold info.

This is going to be one lovely Valentine's Day, indeed.

I just want more info on any possible online mode for the new Smash Brothers as well as more information on the 3DS/Wii U connectivity. They've been hinting at alternate costumes too which I want to be confirmed already. Given, I'm more interested about the possibility of a competent online service for both the Wii U and 3DS versions seeing how I'll be shipping out for Basic Training then to God knows where after for the Army. I just want to know that when I'm away I can still play with my friends on my down time if my accomodations allow it

*Nintendo Direct*

Reaction: Sigh....

*Nintendo Direct is on after UK watershed*

Reaction: Hmmm...?

*Nintendo Direct is on after UK watershed and is over 45 min in length*

Reacction: *bookmarks the link*

Oddly this one sounds like it could be really good.

• Thumbs Up 1

*Nintendo Direct*

Reaction: Sigh....

*Nintendo Direct is on after UK watershed*

Reaction: Hmmm...?

*Nintendo Direct is on after UK watershed and is over 45 min in length*

Reacction: *bookmarks the link*

Oddly this one sounds like it could be really good.

It'll be great if we get to see a hardcore Bayonetta 2 trailer. 

I'm talking gory angel kills, ya pervs >:-U

• Thumbs Up 1

It'll be great if we get to see an hardcore Bayonetta 2 trailer. 

I'm talking gory angel kills, ya pervs >:-U

He lies...

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmmm I wonder if this might be connected to the new direct as well

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/222347-new-shining-title-to-be-announced-later-today-platform-unknown a new shining title is come, as in shining force.... I wonder if Nintendo might be thinking a console  RPG rennansance might help turn the wii-u around?

Uh, so... is this legit?  I saw links to a couple of American-Hispanic newspapers that had posted what looks like a press release based on the Direct, presumably breaking embargo in doing so.  I can totally imagine this being a massive hoax as it's all stuff that could be called and I'm not sure why these papers would be interested, and I honestly feel kind of dumb posting it, but still.  Grist to the rumour mill if nothing else.  I'll spoiler it all.

http://www.eleditor.com/hispanicprwirenews/25972/little-mac-joins-the-super-smash-bros-cast-mario-kart-8-launches-may-30-with

http://www.hola-arkansas.com/hispanicprwirenews/25972/little-mac-joins-the-super-smash-bros-cast-mario-kart-8

Little Mac Joins The Super Smash Bros. Cast; Mario Kart 8 Launches May 30 With Koopalings Nintendo Direct Video Details News for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ -- Nintendo detailed major announcements for its Wii U home console and Nintendo 3DS portable system in the first Nintendo Direct of 2014. Launch dates and details for multiple games were revealed, including new characters in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, and Mario Kart 8 for Wii U. Nintendo also announced specifics about the addition of Game Boy Advance games to the Wii
U Virtual Console service. NES Remix 2 is also on the way, complete with a Luigi-themed surprise. And a pair of games coming to the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS – Steel Diver: Sub Wars and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball – demonstrate unique new ways for players to acquire add-on content. To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct .

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120413/CG86987LOGO )

Some of today's announcements included:

Wii U News

• Mario Kart 8: For the first time ever in any game, all of Bowser's seven Koopalings are playable characters. Players with a taste for being bad can get ready to challenge gravity on the race track with Iggy, Larry, Lemmy, Ludwig, Morton, Roy and Wendy. The game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on May 30.

• Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: Little Mac, the hero of the Punch-Out!! boxing games, will make his first appearance as a playable character in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. game. The game will launch in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in 2014.

• Game Boy Advance Games: Portable classics will start making their way to the Wii U Virtual Console in April, starting with fan favorites such as Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3. Additional games will follow every month.

• Bayonetta 2: A new trailer for the title from Platinum Games showed off some new game features. The game is scheduled to launch later this year.

• New game-play footage was shown for the in-development title from MONOLITH SOFT INC. The game's battle system is based on Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii. Additional updates will be announced in the future.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

• NES Remix 2: This second installment of the mashup of classic Nintendo games features challenges from later NES games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Adventure and Metroid. Just like NES Remix, the sequel includes stages from the original games with new challenges, as well as modified stages that introduce new elements. The game is scheduled to be available April 25 for $14.99. Best of all, players can unlock a free bonus game:
    • Super Luigi Bros.: This is a full game based on a challenge from NES Remix. It contains all the levels from the original Super Mario Bros. game, only now it stars Luigi and requires players to navigate familiar levels in an unheard-of way – by running to the left! The game even incorporates Luigi's signature high jump. It's a fun new spin on a classic game.

• Child of Light: In this RPG from Ubisoft, players take on the role of young Princess Aurora, who is on a quest to retrieve three sources of light from the evil queen. She must fight monsters and solve puzzles to progress. She is assisted by her firefly companion Igniculous, who can heal party members during battles and write messages in light to interact with other players. The game is scheduled to launch April 30 for $14.99.

Nintendo 3DS News

• Yoshi's New Island: Yoshi gets to bash and thrash his environment by throwing around Mega Eggdozers and Metal Eggdozers. Yoshi also can transform into a variety of objects, such as a jackhammer or a submarine, both of which can be manipulated using the Nintendo 3DS gyro controls. A certain type of star even transforms him into Super Yoshi, giving him the ability to fly through the sky or run along walls and ceilings. Players who are having trouble completing a level might see the appearance of Flutter Wings, which let Yoshi fly through the air. Yoshi's New Island is scheduled to launch March 14 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

• Mario Golf: World Tour: In addition to previously announced multiplayer features, the game will also include the Castle Club, a single-player clubhouse area that offers a variety of areas to help players hone their skills. The Castle Club includes golf courses, tournaments, training areas, shops, locker rooms and a cafe. A training area lets them focus on specific aspects of their game, such as putting. Players can customize their Mii characters using items sold at the shop, including clubs, golf balls and clothing. Different combinations of gear can affect a player's performance. Mario Golf: World Tour is scheduled to launch May 2 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

• Kirby: Triple Deluxe: Kirby has always had the power to inhale his enemies and take on their abilities. Each copy ability can let him do a variety of actions and moves, depending on which buttons are pressed. The game includes a huge number of collectibles for players to find, from hidden 8-bit keychains to Sun Stones. The game takes advantage of the StreetPass feature to deliver better items to players. Kirby: Triple Deluxe is scheduled to launch May 2 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

• Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy: The game includes the series' famous mind-bending puzzles as well as collectible items and scavenger hunts that can be shared via StreetPass. The game launches Feb. 28 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Hunt alongside friends online in the most dynamic Monster Hunter game ever. Capcom's action RPG is coming to North America in early 2015 with more content and options than ever before.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

• Steel Diver: Sub Wars: AVAILABLE NOW! This strategic first-person shooter is the successor to Steel Diver. It features more tactical action game play than typical shooters, as players are asked to navigate heavy-duty submarines while staying one step ahead of their enemies. People can compete in local four-on-four team sub battles and go online to battle submariners from around the world (as long as each person downloads the game for him- or herself). A free version that features two basic submarines, the beginning of the single-player mission mode and multiplayer features is now available for download. An upgrade to the full Premium version of the game is also available for purchase within the in-game menu for $9.99.

• INAZUMA ELEVEN: AVAILABLE NOW! In this soccer-themed RPG, players help their team go from underdogs to champions by training, learning new skills and recruiting the best players around. High-tension soccer battles require players to marshal all their teammates' special moves, from flaming tornado kicks to mind-bending acrobatics. The INAZUMA ELEVEN franchise has passionate fans in Japan and Europe, and it makes its North American debut today. The game is now available for download for $19.99.

• Pokemon Battle Trozei: This fast-paced Pokemon puzzle game has players matching Pokemon to clear them while battling and collecting other Pokemon. The game includes every single known Pokemon – more than 700 of them – from Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue to Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. Caught Pokemon can be used by players during battles to help them and will even grow in strength and inflict greater damage the more they are used. The game also features four-player co-op play, and is scheduled to be available March 20 for $7.99.

• Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Ex-pro baseball player and dog Rusty Slugger owns a sports shack. He's broke with 10 puppies to feed, so he offers a variety of baseball mini-games for sale, themed around the simple pleasures of baseball. Players can bat, pitch, catch and even umpire. The initial software containing a part of the first mini-game is free, but players can purchase additional mini-games in a unique way: by haggling to lower the real-world price for each downloadable game. Additional games start at $4 apiece, but giving Rusty items or listening to his problems might improve his mood and motivate him to offer steep discounts. The game is scheduled to launch in April.

• WEAPON SHOP de OMASSE: This is the fourth and final game in what is known in Japan as the GUILD01 series, which has delivered games like LIBERATION MAIDEN and CRIMSON SHROUD to the Nintendo eShop. In comedian Yoshiyuki Hirai's tribute to classic role-playing games, players are tasked with managing a weapon shop inside an RPG. Players tap the touch screen in time with music to forge their weapons. Optimal timing and forge temperatures lead to better weapons for heroes to take on quests. The stronger the weapons, the more successful the heroes. The game is scheduled to be available Feb. 20 for $7.99.

Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features,
visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds .

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U and Wiihome consoles, and Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo has sold more than 4.2 billion video games and more than 669 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo
DSi and Nintendo DSi XL, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at http://www.nintendo.com .

Note to editors: Nintendo press materials are available at http://press.nintendo.com , a password-protected site. To
obtain a login, please contact Deanna Avila at 213-438-8742 or davila@golinharris.com. Users can receive instant Nintendo information by subscribing to the site's RSS feed.

GOLIN HARRIS
Rich George
415-318-4342
rgeorge@golinharris.com
Kristie Tomkins
213-438-8830
ktomkins@golinharris.com

SOURCE  Nintendo of America

Geez, seriously? I LOVED the original Shining Force games, if they release a Shining Force game on Wii U that'd be TOTALLY epic.

Granted, no guarantee that has anything to do with it, but yeah. Still looking forward to see the announcements for today.

EDIT:

FFWF posted just before I made this post. My comment on that:

The Nintendo direct starts in a few minutes, right? It wouldn't surprise me at all if some people have info for it, and it also wouldn't surprise me if Little Mac was announced. People are expecting an announcement related to DK, though. It'd be hilarious if it had nothing to do with DK.

It would be kind of funny if nintendo suddenly revealed little mac just the day after the game grumps started their punch out wii playthrough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn time zones, I always get them mixed up. 5 PM EST, 4 PM CST. Oh well, back to my freelance work for the next hour.

We got an hour to go to find out if those stuff are true.

Now about little Mac, if he was in the game, would the smash bros ring stage would be a punch out stage or still a smash stage?

If it remains a smash stage then wouldn't it mean we'll most likely have another boxing ring type stage?

If he was in the game tho

We got an hour to go to find out if those stuff are true.

Now about little Mac, if he was in the game, would the smash bros ring stage would be a punch out stage or still a smash stage?

If it remains a smash stage then wouldn't it mean we'll most likely have another boxing ring type stage?

If he was in the game tho

Most likely it would be his stage since I doubt the boxing ring would replace final destination as the definitive smash bros stage.

It would be kind of funny if nintendo suddenly revealed little mac just the day after the game grumps started their punch out wii playthrough.

-insert random conspiracy theory here-

Um, problem I have with that possible leak is that Nintendo keeps the direct in house till the last minute, so its unlikely they would give it to any loose links, so while some of that stuff could happen, I would mark it down to simply its plausible enough to be true than an actual leak, which is what that article is saying to me

Also Koopaling ins MK8?! I mean they have been around since the original MK, if they havent put them in by now getting in now is extremely unlikely, and thats one or the more supsicios parts of the article, the other being little mac, pretty sure they would want someone a little more iconic for the first direct of the year

The Mario Kart news, the Yoshi's Island news and the Bayonetta 2 trailer sound great, but all of the rest is meh to me if it's true :-/ Hope we have some more interesting stuff in the EU specific Direct.

The nintendo Youtube channel is on the final countdown, less than 10 minutes left.

What? It doesn't start for another 35 minutes.