Awoo.

Eggmen

Dr. Mechano

Your analyses always amaze me, EGG. I'll post more later (I don't have time now) I just wanted to say that your characteriztions were brilliant!

...Is it sad that only the above post made me realise El Gran Gordo abbreviates to E.G.G.? That's brilliant.

Anyway, to be on-topic, I'll also say I always love and agree with your thoughts on Eggman El Gran Gordo. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the OP.

• 1 year later...

Wow, E.G.G; very nice job on these analysis' of Doctor Eggman! I enjoyed reading them.

My favourite incarnation of the doctor would have to be the ASatAM version, followed (very) closely by Archie Comic Eggman, and then, lastly, SoJ's Eggman. There's just something about how sinister and serious ASatAM's Eggman is that is a joy to watch. :]

Just wanted to say your pictures are dead.

That's prolly coz this topic was made over a year ago and was bumped by Sajotae.

I'd report but... meh, I never get the problem with bumping. If the topic is truly dead it'll just sink back down again, and if not, well, this was a damn good topic, it is worthy of being bumped. 8D

Missed this the first time round. An enjoyable read!

Just to throw a comment in here, I absolutely hate that people have accepted STC Robotnik having a 'soft side' because of the last two panels of that one little side-story. If you accept those two final panels as canon, it completely changes the view of his character from the hateful, genocidal dictator that the rest of STC spent building.

Disclaimer: I know I sound like a total fanboy here =P.

That's prolly coz this topic was made over a year ago and was bumped by Sajotae.

Oh, whoops.

Sorry!

I hope that I didn't bother anyone by bumping the thread; to be honest, I was just reading the discussion and didn't really look at the dates until after I posted, heh.

Also, Stiv, if you don't mind me asking, which side-story are you talking about? It sounds interesting, and I'd like to hear more about it, if you wouldn't mind?

Very in depth and I enjoyed the read but NONE of those images work. None of them.

Oh wait this is an old topic.....never mind *slinks away*

Edited by Dejablue

Also, Stiv, if you don't mind me asking, which side-story are you talking about? It sounds interesting, and I'd like to hear more about it, if you wouldn't mind?

It was a one-off 6 page story named 'A Day in the Life of Doctor Robotnik', written by Mark Millar for STC #42. It's a shame because Robotnik was in character for everything but the last two panels.

It's uploaded here if you want to see for yourself: http://www.stivco.com/sonic/stco/ADitLoDR/

I'd report but... meh, I never get the problem with bumping. If the topic is truly dead it'll just sink back down again, and if not, well, this was a damn good topic, it is worthy of being bumped. 8D

Herp derp I didn't see the dates! It's a great topic though, and I missed it the first time around as well.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Mechano, I must say, you truly put fun in the SSMB! It's best to have someone analyze something they love, and it shines here. Sometimes it's nice to see some depth and thought put into something you otherwise would never suspect deserves it.

First watching him, I never liked AoSth Robotnik. I had played Mean Bean Machine before watching some of the series and thought he was so pathetic looking in that. So every fear of a horrendous villain was brought to life when I first saw Adventures and couldn't believe they actually made such a silly cartoon out of a not so silly game. But reading your assessments on Dr. Rrrrobotnik and the show for the past year it made me appreciate the wit they tried applying to the show and understand the humor behind Robotnik.

With Satam Dr. R, I don't quite think he's awesome as a foe. Sure he's scary in the psychotic sense. But his schemes weren't really elaborate and were rarely aimed specifically at getting rid of Sonic. He wasn't a fearful "mastermind" and just bossed Snively into doing his planning for him. What type of a villain can't think on his own?

The doc's best scene in Sonic X, was, as you mentioned, in episode 49. Telling Chris just how life brings down your dreams. It sorta shows a side of Robotnik in the fact he sorta used to be just like Chris.

Though the video games doc is different from X I like to think they are mostly the same. One thing about the current Eggman as we know him is, which I didn't see you expound upon, is the fact that he is a man of science. Yes, as the song goes:

"Aboard the Ark,

A genius at heart

Wanting to unlock,

the mysteries of life"

Yes, the doctor is a man who just wants to achieve a greater purpose (in a sense). I personally think if he did conquer the world he'd use all his power to study science. Perhaps try to become immortal himself.

"My mission, yeah I must complete!" (or is it achieve?)

Doctor Eggman might feel his goals aren't entirely for himself. He feels quite a passion for them.

In Sonic X, I think it's because he is a man of science that he ultimately decides to help Sonic. He knew the Metarex were insane, and the destruction of the universe was a big no-no. Sure,:

"I love to destroy"

Means he likes to blow stuff up, but he only tears down to create. Why did he want to blow up Station Square? to create a fortress for himself, of course.

In an upcoming comic I'm going to create I have an interesting take on why he becomes bent on world domination. Something I think is relevant to that is the fact Sonic Riders mentions he has his own company (or so I've heard, still haven't played that one). Yep, can't wait to try my own doc story.

"I love to destroy"

Means he likes to blow stuff up, but he only tears down to create. Why did he want to blow up Station Square? to create a fortress for himself, of course.

Actually, the line is "I'd love to destroy the blue one you know..." Eggman is saying he'd love to destroy Sonic specifically, not stating a general love of destruction for its own sake.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Hm. Thanks for the clarity then.

Although in X he did seem to love blowin' stuff up. When breaking in to prison island he says "this is definitely better than hacking!" or something to that degree after shooting a robot. It's there.

Edited by Eli