Froggy

How to play Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on your Android Phone/Tablet

CbZxpnV.jpg

OAVA0N9.jpg

This tutorial assumes you physically own either Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast and are able to make a CDI dump. This tutorial also assumes you legally have access to a Dreamcast BIOS and Dreamcast Flash file. I do not condone the illegal access of software.

So, ever wanted to play the Adventure games on the go? Now you can!

Step 1) Visit the Google Play Store and download Reicast, a Dreamcast emulator for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reicast.emulator&hl=en

Step 2) After installing the application, you should get a message saying the BIOS/Flash is missing, make a new folder on your device's root directory called "dc" (without the quotations), then another directory inside named "data." Place your BIOS file inside the "data" directory, and make sure it is named "dc_boot.bin" Do the same with the Flash file, calling it "dc_flash.bin"

Step 3) Now before you get excited and start playing, there's just one more thing you need to do. If you wish to save your progress, boot up the BIOS, go to memory cards and delete all data. If you do not do this no progress will be saved!

EDIT: Do so via the file menu:

KdMfeFr.jpg

Step 4) Congratulations! Now simply transfer your CDI dump of your desired game to your device, and you can now play Sonic Adventure 1, 2, or any other Dreamcast game on the go!

I can confirm after a 100% play through of Sonic Adventure that there are no issues except a couple of minor graphical glitches, the game ran at a solid 30FPS on my Nexus 10 tablet, from Emerald Coast to Perfect Chaos!

Noob question; when you say this:

Step 3) Now before you get excited and start playing, there's just one more thing you need to do. If you wish to save your progress, boot up the BIOS, go to memory cards and delete all data. If you do not do this no progress will be saved!

You mean deleting the 'data' found within the folder when you drop the BIOS in? Or the generally memory from the phone? 

Noob question; when you say this:

You mean deleting the 'data' found within the folder when you drop the BIOS in? Or the generally memory from the phone? 

Sorry I worded it badly I mean actually loading up the Dreamcast menu and formatting the memory cards as you would do on the actual console.

Sorry I worded it badly I mean actually loading up the Dreamcast menu and formatting the memory cards as you would do on the actual console.

Ooooooooooooooooooh I see. Thanks; I shall attempt this endeavor.

Count me in! Also what if I owned Sonic Adventure 1 DC? It was broken for awhile so I sold it, but does that mean it'd count as illegal? (>_> <_< shhhhh) But anyways this looks freaking awesome can't wait to play SA2 since I still have that! Great find

Did everything, but when I booted up it didn't do anything. Looks like my phone isn't compatible with it haha.

If your phone vibrated and then quit (the emulator makes your phone vibrate on launch), try another BIOS. This happened to me before I found a working one. HINT: If the BIOS has the word "all" in it before you rename it, use a different one.

Count me in! Also what if I owned Sonic Adventure 1 DC? It was broken for awhile so I sold it, but does that mean it'd count as illegal? (>_> dry.png shhhhh) But anyways this looks freaking awesome can't wait to play SA2 since I still have that! Great find

As long as you purchased it you should be right! 

Awesome tutorial; wish I still had my Dreamcast copies. Anyway to get a Gamecube Game to work like this? And can it be done on Apple products?

Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii emulator) is still in very early progress for Android, we'll have to wait a bit more for that. As for Apple, no idea but probably not much available.

Ah, thanks; I'd been able to download DS/GB/GBA games on my iPhone using an Emulator, but never attempted something like a Gamecube/Wii emulator. Perhaps I'll have to use my computer for that instead?

Yeah get Dolphin for your PC or Mac and you can play both Gamecube and Wii. :)

Whilst this is a pretty neat idea in theory, I can't even begin to imagine how unplayably uncontrollable they must be with touchscreen controls. D:

*still secretly hoping for SA1/2 3DS ports that he knows will never happen* 

Whilst this is a pretty neat idea in theory, I can't even begin to imagine how unplayably uncontrollable they must be with touchscreen controls. D:

*still secretly hoping for SA1/2 3DS ports that he knows will never happen* 

Well I beat the whole game just fine, touch controls are easy once you get used to them. I've been completing the A level beat the clock missions lol.

Sonic Adventure (bar VERY few graphical glitches, none of them game breaking) is 100% beatable! The controls are a bit to get used to but nothing abysmal by any means, hell, you can even attach one of those analog controller addons and play Sonic Adventure that way (quite recommended).

HOWEVER, Sonic Adventure 2 needs some serious touching on upon. The game is technically playable but there are far too many graphical issues. I'm not just talking about wrong textures loading I mean the whole screen gets covered in garbage 90% of the time to the point where it's not fun to even play.

Sonic Adventure (bar VERY few graphical glitches, none of them game breaking) is 100% beatable! The controls are a bit to get used to but nothing abysmal by any means, hell, you can even attach one of those analog controller addons and play Sonic Adventure that way (quite recommended).

HOWEVER, Sonic Adventure 2 needs some serious touching on upon. The game is technically playable but there are far too many graphical issues. I'm not just talking about wrong textures loading I mean the whole screen gets covered in garbage 90% of the time to the point where it's not fun to even play.

Haha thanks for saving me some time, was going to try SA2 soon

I hope it get's fixed soon. Having SA2 on the go has been a dream of mine ever since the game originally released.

Same. The only greater novelty would be portable 06, amuse your friends with glitches anywhere!