Awoo.

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayssmb

Oh that's right you better believe it folks. We've got Twitch Plays freakin' Super Mario Bros! Platformer controls and everything. Enjoy the madness! Now..

herewego.jpg

What is funny is at the top it says the channel is playing pokemon red/blue. No wonder it in a loop. No one is playing it

I can't imagine this working with anything other than an RPG.

and only 2D RPGs that don't require 3D movement (so FFVI and its' Mode 7 shenanigans wouldn't cut it)

SO whenever they jump over that gap, they get pwned by the Goomba.

and only 2D RPGs that don't require 3D movement (so FFVI and its' Mode 7 shenanigans wouldn't cut it)

Even then, I'm not sure there's any game out there that's as good a fit as Pokemon. Dying kicks you back to the last pokemon center, rather than to the title screen or file select where they could potentially lose everything. You even keep your progress when dying, instead of having to revert to the last save, so even beating one trainer and then dying counts as moving forward. It's a grid-based, menu-driven RPG, so there's no issues with exceptionally precise positioning or reaction-based challenges. The puzzles, at least in the early gens, are never terribly difficult, and the battles can be overcome with just brute force in most cases.

And honestly, even if someone can find a fitting game, I doubt any other stream is going to take off like TPP has.

• Thumbs Up 4

Earlier today I was just thinking about how cool it'd be to see Twitch do something like Mario Bros

Till I remembered the challenging jumps and platforming throughout the game that even gives one player trouble. This won't work well, and judging by how they've died over 1700 times in 1-1 for over 6 hours, you definitely know this is going nowhere.

Also Anarchy>Democracy.

Edit: To further go into detail, Twitch has that 5 second rule where whichever button is pressed the most during those 5 seconds, is the one that will be inputted.

You're trying to play a game that requires at least three buttons to be inputted at all times, yet you can only input one button at a time? Yeah they are never going to get past World one, let alone 1-1.

TwitchPlays can only work with RPGs and Puzzle games. Platformers are a big no-no.

They have to do a perfect run from the check point so this will never be done

If they beat 1-1, I'll go professor pickle and be like "...a miracle! We been saved by a miracle!"

Sorry but, that's impossible. I can't believe they'd start some crap like this. The Legend of Zelda would be easier to do since at least its top-down, but there's no way you can get platformer controls into a game like this.

Yeah, this isn't going to work.  Anything that requires dexterity or timing isn't going to work, at least with Twitch's technology.

Oh look, a bandwagon. Predictable.

I still say there needs to be some kind of Twitch Vs - at least there's some form of balance if there's multiple player characters all receiving input from chat, and nothing too much in the game to get between them. As far as non-RPGs go that's about the best you're going to get.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry but, that's impossible. I can't believe they'd start some crap like this. The Legend of Zelda would be easier to do since at least its top-down, but there's no way you can get platformer controls into a game like this.

...Honestly they have a better chance of beating SMB than Zelda. Zelda has way too many factors that basically outright require full control at all times.

And yeah, this isn't going to be nearly as memorable as the shit that spawned the church of the helix fossil

I thought part of the appeal of the Pokemon stream is that what they're doing is actually feasible if they meet some level of cooperation. Doing this with Mario will only end in disaster. This is impossible.

Then again, they do have unlimited lives, but I can't see this happening. 

Yeeeeah this is spectacularly dumb.  It's like someone saw the destruction derby that is TPP and decided "oh let's do our own" and set up a car in front of a brick wall and figured it'd be as fun.

Like... you don't need to see it in practice to know how much this wouldn't work and how unentertaining it'd be.

Mario is a game that relies on buttons being held down too, so literally this is impossible.  You cannot beat the game without holding down the jump button.

EDIT: My mistake, B and A are always held when commanded.  Technically it is possible then, but 40 seconds time delay between commands and performance is just too much for an action game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know how long they've been in the same place, but it seems to have been for most of the running time.  This honestly seems pointless.  It just requires too rapid a reaction time.

15 hours later and they're still in the same exact place at the same exact ledge.

If anything this shows how determined Twitch Users are.

15 hours later and they're still in the same exact place at the same exact ledge.

How did anyone think this was a good idea, I mean c'mon