Awoo.

Solo Sonic

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I said many times.....

I HAVE NO PROBLEM!!! IM NOT AFRAID OF SONICS FRIENDS!!!

What you say you feel and what your words actually show don't match up. You say you aren't afraid of them, but then you come up with every excuse under the sun to justify them not being relevant unless it is to make Sonic look good in some form or fashion.

• Thumbs Up 2

When Sonic Boom was announced and a the board was created on the SEGA Forums, I made a poll to see how people felt about the news. One of the options I put was "FINALLY. OTHER PLAYABLE CHARACTERS BESIDES SONIC".

Out of the 83 people that voted, at least 48 people agreed that they were glad Tails, Knuckles, and Amy were playable again.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?506650-Your-current-thoughts-opinions-reactions-to-Sonic-Boom-the-game

Don't get me wrong. I love playing as Sonic but honestly, was there really any reason that Knuckles and Amy couldn't have been playable in Lost World? Or Tails alone in Sonic 4: Episode 2?

• Thumbs Up 2

In Sonic Colors he saved Sonic from Eggmans lazer. Sonic Generations he figured out why the world was the way it was.

But that didn't matter at the end since the mind control beam had limited power so even if Eggman hit Sonic, it didn't matter at the end since Eggman would only have limited control of him. Chalk one up for crappy writing!

As Missile has stated that conclusion can be made pretty quickly since Sonic had a vague memory going through these places, so it wouldn't be that hard to come up with that conclusion.

And again as Missile has stated, these didn't really affect the overall plot of the game. So who cares if Tails made the sacrifice of his freewill for Sonic at Colors, he'd regain it back after beam lost power. But that could be due to the bad writing of the story, so I digress. So they know how the White Space works, did they do anything with that kind of information? No, they did not.

As you can see the story makes it look like the other characters are doing something important but it flops on itself with its poor writing. Not saying that Pontac and Graff are bad writers, mind you, they tried to make things work but they couldn't do it so well due to being restricted by Sonic Team.

But I am glad that Tails and Amy did something important in Lost World but it still wasn't enough, compared to them at Adventure 1.

When you make a character have its own story, you have the chance to develop said character.

In Adventure 1, at the beginning Tails was afraid of Eggman, you can tell by how menacing Eggman sounded when him and Sonic first encountered him, and after learning to be more independent and brave, he stood to Eggman and saved Station Square from a missile attack.  Amy also learned to be more independent and brave as well, as she fought ZERO thinking that it killed Birdy.

Did the current games did anything remotely similar to this?

So as you can see, this is why people want to see other characters being playable because it gives the chance to actually see some development of that character, so please understand I can't stress it enough. If I sounded a bit strong, I am sorry but you have to understand this.

Edited by SoniTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

In Sonic Colors he saved Sonic from Eggmans lazer. Sonic Generations he figured out why the world was the way it was.

Something like this doesn't satisfy everyone all the time, or even at all and theses moments aren't even really outstanding in their own right.

I like to have a variety of characters to choose from, but some people do not. I think it's nice to have the option to choose different characters.

What you say you feel and what your words actually show don't match up. You say you aren't afraid of them, but then you come up with every excuse under the sun to justify them not being relevant unless it is to make Sonic look good in some form or fashion.

its the people who see "less Sonic! more friends" or "Sonic shouldnt get the spolight!!" or "wanting solo sonica is NOT okay" that rub me the wrong way. Not Sonics friends. I like others other then Sonic.

Sonic will always have the spotlight. Having other playable characters does not take away from the fact that Sonic's name is on the box. He's still the main character, no one is denying that. People just like playing as other characters, there's nothing wrong with a little gameplay variety.

Your main argument is that you don't like how the other characters are a "more awesome Sonic," rendering Sonic useless. But it doesn't make him useless. Look, I, along with many others, like Knuckles. I like playing as Knuckles. Why should they make Knux unplayable just to give the hedgehog who's playable anyway a bigger spotlight? You can still play as Sonic if you want, and other people can play as other characters. There, everyone wins.

I like characers other then Sonic as well. like Silver I like to play as him and Eggman to. So Im not a hater. Having playable friends is fine. I like Sonic 2006 and it has playable friends and it was good because no one stole moves from Sonic and have their own attacks. Even Shadow was fun.

Im worried that all the wonderful things I play with Sonic in Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Lost World are going to be taken away and given to the friends just so fans can have less Sonic

I like characers other then Sonic as well. like Silver I like to play as him and Eggman to. So Im not a hater. Having playable friends is fine. I like Sonic 2006 and it has playable friends and it was good because no one stole moves from Sonic and have their own attacks. Even Shadow was fun.

Im worried that all the wonderful things I play with Sonic in Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Lost World are going to be taken away and given to the friends just so fans can have less Sonic

I'm really sorry for being blunt but are you doing this to get attention. Because no matter what anyone says to try and alleviate your worries you keep having this "worry" that has spanned for two topic

I can give a flying fuck about attention. Im trying not to worry but I complain and now Im an attention whoring bitch. ;p

but I complain and now Im an attention whoring bitch. ;p

Thats putting words in my mouth cuz all I said was looking for some attention. But alas I gave my two cents now I will just sit back and watch

It's ironic to accuse anyone of looking for attention, then end a post with "now I'll just sit back and watch" almost like you know you've stirred shit. Knock it off. It's not your place to make that claim.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im tired of people being angry or hating me for my opinion. And its not just SSMB. Ive been told I ruin Sonic for them and Im a hater and I give Sonic a bad name. Just because I love Sonic and I want him to be focus and the only one playable. At least my reasons werent Sonic is awesome. I gave reasons for liking solo Sonic. Im tired of them always taking away Sonics moves and giving it to others. Their Sonics fucking moves dammit! Get their own moves!!!!

Let Sonic drill eagle and run and jump homing attack acrobatics and homing attack. Friends cant copy him. But no Me wanting Sonic to get splotlight and focus and some development is bad!!! Because its Sonic so people think is favortisim. if I am that much of a bad fan that I ruin Sonic for you, why dont you give me ways to be a better one?! Seriously we got a good Sonic fan here why dont you teach me to be like that person or tell me to be more like them instead of hating me? 

Its annoying and i doubt people now.

No one here is hating you for your opinions. I see absolutely zero ire toward you in this topic. Stop it right now or I will lock this topic.

I'm an ardent Sonic fan myself and even I'll admit that the strict adherence to Solo-Sonica is, amongst many other reasons, a reason as to why the games just don't have the 'Oomph' they used to have. Since the time of Shadow-2006, I've had the assurance that other characters could be incorporated more into the games without undermining Sonic's character and purpose.

Even though it wasn't strictly a "main series" entry, SatBK did multiple playable characters decently both narrative wise and gameplay wise. I'm really curious as to how other characters would play with different gameplay styles.

Sonic's had the limelight for years now and I've been pretty happy with how he's been treated with a few reservations (Mainly regarding Colours both in gameplay and in portrayal) since 2007. I think it's about time other characters got some focus. And I say that as a huge fan of Sonic himself. The idea of other playable/Focused-upon characters is not exclusive with the idea that they're inevitably going to negatively impact Sonic as a character and I think Sonic Team have learned since the Shadow-'06 debacle. I mean Sonic got treated with the utmost dignity narrative-wise in SatSR and that came out mere months after '06 treated him like utter shit. That says something.

• Thumbs Up 4

Im tired of people being angry or hating me for my opinion. And its not just SSMB. Ive been told I ruin Sonic for them and Im a hater and I give Sonic a bad name. Just because I love Sonic and I want him to be focus and the only one playable. At least my reasons werent Sonic is awesome. I gave reasons for liking solo Sonic. Im tired of them always taking away Sonics moves and giving it to others. Their Sonics fucking moves dammit! Get their own moves!!!!

Let Sonic drill eagle and run and jump homing attack acrobatics and homing attack. Friends cant copy him. But no Me wanting Sonic to get splotlight and focus and some development is bad!!! Because its Sonic so people think is favortisim. if I am that much of a bad fan that I ruin Sonic for you, why dont you give me ways to be a better one?! Seriously we got a good Sonic fan here why dont you teach me to be like that person or tell me to be more like them instead of hating me? 

Well, you have said that english was hard. And considering the internet, a lot of people say something and it sends multiple messages. We've all had that problem. :lol:

However, I think the problem isn't that they hate you, but they hate the mindset that prevents them from playing and enjoying their favorite characters. You say you like solo-Sonic, others want to play as their favorites like Shadow, Knuckles, Blaze, or Tails. This has been going on for a long time, and as a result people have become very passionate, especially since Sonic Team doesn't seem to know how to listen or weed the good ideas from the bad ones, continuing to go from one extreme to another.

You're a sweet person here Sonikku-chan, don't get upset. It's just a matter of understanding the other side; the thing here is that there is a middle ground here that can suit both parties instead of just one. And the problem is not acknowledging it. There's no reason you shouldn't enjoy Sonic alone, but there's also no reason other fans should be content to watch the other characters off from the side and not do anything themselves. 

This is what makes games like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and to an extent even Sonic Adventure 1 so much more enjoyable to people because of something very important for having more than one character that isn't being considered: Optional Content.

Many of us have played games like Smash Bros, Street Fighter, or even simple FPSes like Halo, right? And notice how these games have more than one playable character. But it doesn't force you to play as the characters you don't like (well, unless there's a specific requirement in unlocking them or challenge modes in Smash Bros case). Things like preferences and tastes are taken into consideration with these many characters, and each one mostly plays differently from the other.

• In Smash Bros, you can pick Mario as much as you want while someone else can choose to play Link the whole time as you fight, and the game doesn't force you to play anyone if that's all you're content with.
  • The same case is with Street Fighter, I can play Chun-Li, someone can play Ryu, and we can stay that way the whole time
  • In Halo's case, someone can prefer playing the assault rifle or energy sword to get up close and personal, while someone else is more proficient with a sniper rifle picking people off at a distance

Different strokes and all that.

This is the problem with solo-Sonic, you're not giving that same variety and choice, thus robbing other people of a different manner of play. Variety is the spice of life, status quo the starch, and not making enough changes (and good ones, mind you) leads to people getting sick of the same old thing, hence why people get upset at having Sonic only.

This also goes in the other direction that lead to this problem in the first place: forcing you to play as characters you don't like or didn't choose. Games like SA2 would switch your character every level and force you to play as them in order to progress, and Sonic 06 did this even worse by doing so mid-level by having you play Sonic, and then at a certain point it switches you to playing as Tails, or Knuckles, or even Silver (who has his own story).

The middle ground is simple, everyone should be allowed to play as who they want without being forced to play as someone else. If you like to play and enjoy just Sonic, then the game should allow you to play as just him; however, if someone wants to play as Shadow or Blaze, it should also give them that option to do so.

In this manner, it's less of a Zero-sum game and more of a compromise - in short, you both get what you want, and therefore you both win. Simple, no?

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, your posts are starting to border on Mariotehplumper/Aknotholeresident levels of deranged.  Sonic's friends are rarely ever stole the spotlight from Sonic.  The only games I can think of where are Shadow the Hedgehog, which had Sonic as a stepping stone for some clunky penultimate boss, and Shadow the Hedgehog 2 Sonic 2006, where Sonic wasn't even remotely relevant until the last story.  Every other game that had multiple playable characters manage to do just fine at giving the other characters a chance to shine while keeping the main focus on Sonic.

Regarding the bold-face part of the first post, you are in the minority!  Eggman's SA2 game-play and Silver's '06 game-play are two of the most universally hated alternate game-play styles in Sonic's history.  They're slow, clunky, and their movesets really don't fit in the Sonic Games.  And concerning an earlier post, neither Sonic nor Knuckles should have the Werehog's combat skills.  That watered-down God of War nonsense shouldn't be in a Sonic game, regardless of which character the move set was slapped on to.

As for that second post, Sonic's friends have never stolen any of his moves.  If anything, it's the other way around via the wisps.  Flying/digging/climbing/whatever are not, nor should they ever be, Sonic's moves.  Yellow Wisp? Digging should be for Knuckles.  Crimson Wisp?  That's close to how imagined Tails' flight in 3D should look like.  Red Wisp? C'mon that should totally be Blaze doing that awesome Fire Burst move!  Indigo Wisp? Big.  Seriously how does that guy NOT have he's own orbit!?

Sonic has good arsenal of moves that actual make sense for him: Insta-shield, Wall Kick, Bounce Attack, just to name a few.  Sega has, hopefully, learned their lesson from ShtH and '06 about over-glorifying other characters at the expense of making Sonic look like a dumbass.  There are other things to worry about with Sonic Boom over some paranoia about Sonic's friends outshining or replacing him.

Well if we're worried about Sonic's moves getting stolen, we could always give Sonic some new unique moves of his own like the others.

That's always on the table as far as I'm concerned if we want Sonic to grow, the trick is how to give him such without 1) coming off as an asspull, 2) fitting the gameplay, and 3) making it useful and preserving it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I really don't mind Sola Sonica, just as long as his gameplay is fun. Would it be nice to have more playables? Ye. Yes, it would. Doe sit annoy me that we've only been getting Sonic for years? Not in the slightest.

At least those who are bothered by it will probably have Boom to look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least those who are bothered by it will probably have Boom to look forward to.

It's probably better not to use Boom as an example here. Along with almost everything else, the gameplay is a very different kettle of fish. Personally, I'll still be hugely disappointed of the next SEGA Sonic game doesn't feature at least one more fully playable character. That's the series I'm a fan of and have wanted to multiple characters to be a part of for a long time, not Sonic Boom.

________

I would just like to point out for the record that S3K is the only game where the other characters can be considered "better Sonic". They all share the same speed and basic moves, while Tails and Knuckles' special moves get far more use than Sonic's. That, and Sonic's special move varies depending if he was a shield and what type it is. Knuckles' poor jumping only makes a difference in context specific areas 9 times out of 10.

Every other game to feature multiple characters has given Sonic a lot of abilities that nobody else can make use of, varying from the homing attack to the spindash, the boost and quite often a higher top speed or abilities geared more around maintaining and building speed. The only exception to this rule is SA2, wherein the very idea was that the heroes were up against rivals with whom they were equally matched, which was also specifically the the concept behind Shadow as a character. You might also argue Heroes, though it was a gameplay mechanic (one which drew much criticism) and the only character with the same top speed and skills as Sonic was Shadow.

Off the top of my head, there's also only a small number of games in which the spotlight was off Sonic - '06, the Rivals series (a niche spin-off side series) and the aforementioned Heroes. Everything else? Sonic has been upfront and centre, with of without another another character to push the story along.

Point is, Sonic is constantly portrayed with skills that nobody else can use and is given the story relevance a title character would be expected to get. There may well have been too many other characters around at times, but that's an entirely different issue. You also can't expect Sonic to be able to do everything and his friends able to do little else. Even when they're not playable, it's poor character portrayal and plot development to have all these other characters act like little more than colourful cheerleaders. And above all, it's really disheartening to see something that was once a key point of interest for lots of fans to be taken away almost entirely.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's friends should supplement Sonic.  In narrative and gameplay.

But whatever you think, it seems to me that Sonic Team would be wise to put out another game including Sonic's friends in a more prominent and playable capacity.  I'm not sure what they'd have to lose at this point, and if nothing else it might add more points to a debate like this one.

What they would lose is more of the franchise's respect if they screw it up like they have previously. As much as I would love to have the other characters playable and active in the narrative, I'm cautious of Sonic Team because for every failure they always go from one extreme to another and throw curveballs our way, all around missing the point of our criticism.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, but you may just as well say that their next solo Sonic game has the potential to lose an equal amount of respect.  If they're going to fail anyway, they might as well fail differently.