Sign in to follow this  
LewiisD

I get insulted for liking sonic by everyody at school and they get on my nerves, what should i do?

Hey im new to the forums and i get bullied for liking sonic, i know i should ignore them but no one will actually let me have a nice school day. everything was fine untill i told my friends i like sonic(they dont bully me)i dont get insulted that often now but it really annoys me when they say" sonics for kids " or " hahaa you little prick

baby*. it seems like nothing but i literally think no one has ever had a childhood hero. personally, i love sonic and wont stop liking the franchise anytime soon. You people at the forums seem like the only people i physically know who likes sonic. My older brother doesnt insult me as he liked sonic but has grown out of it now. dang, what i think in my mind is how is it childish when grown men play it. Well what i think is your never too old for sonic really... unless you are 40 or 50 busy or have a family. im only 14 dang it. i like grand theft auto but i absolutely hate call of duty(opnions). Sorry for telling you my life story by the way. i just need a solution to get past this.

Thanks, i guess that helped. i just cant wait to finish school, Bring on college!

i hate quite alot of people at my school and its complete bullcrap.

i guess i could just calm down and play some sonic generations

You shouldn't be made fun of for liking what you like. If you like Sonic, then by all means enjoy it. I've been made fun of for liking what I like, but for the most part, I didn't care (with a few exceptions. I prefer not to talk about it).

Heck, I'll use my own brother as an example. He gets told he should be playing Call of Duty instead of Zelda. His response is to not give a crap and continue playing Zelda.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a definitive "solution" to this issue. Kids are major asses and I think if they want to, they'll find anything to get under anybody's skin. With that said I guess all I could advise is try to not let it get to you, even though that sounds rather insensitive. They're doing it for attention and wanting to get a reaction out of you, and way more often than not if you just play along jokingly or give responses like you're not impressed or can't be bothered with their time, they stop. That's what I've found anyways in elementary/middle school anyway. Growing up I noticed that the kids that got picked on and made a scene about it, usually had it stapled to them for years unfortunately. I on the other hand kinda just rolled with the punches and really never was afraid to poke fun at myself, and I think when people pick up on that they can open up to you a bit because you're suddenly not just this vague tidbit of info they have on you anymore. By 8th grade and throughout high school I seemed to be well regarded by all groups at school and not really on anyone's shit list; just kinda the unique kid that likes weird things but not in a negative mindset with anyone.

I don't know, that all said I find each case to be highly situational, so I normally don't like to advise anything on these things. I think most importantly over all with this stuff is to know how to respond to certain people. Intense confrontation and making a scene might work on some people, and in some cases could get your ass nailed even harder for years to come. Being passive and not caring could make bullies get bored of you or see you're not really worth being picked on, or they could see you as easy prey and go at you for years too.

So yeah, straight up bullies suck obviously, but all in all I guess learn how to manage people as they of course vary from person to person. Another thing would probably to check your threshold. Totally not meaning to sound insensitive or anything, but I've also seen some people not be able to take so much as a light jab of fooling around without blowing up, and I think that's kind of a personal issue that mean people unfortunately take advantage of. Not saying your situation is like this, but just in general, the world isn't out to get anyone and if we were all serious hunkydory the world would get boring XD.

Aaaaa, I feel like I'm running in circles in thought since I can't really get out what I want to say, but just trying to express how I usually deal/dealt with things like this before. I guess personally I never cared too deeply and can more often than not shrug it off or laugh with people. I mean I really was obsessed with a blue hedgehog with cheesy attitude, and as much as I loved it like crazy then, I could see the lols in it, but it's not like it's anything to be ashamed of, it's just a personal thing I like. If someone actually had a big enough beef with this to make my life a living hell, then I'm pretty sure that's an extremely more depressing obsession to have than liking Sonic the Hedgehog lmao.

Also there's been plenty of people on this board that's had this same problem too, so I hope you can get some varied answers and see what works best for you. Best of luck to getting them to stop or getting past it though, no one should have to feel this way because they simply like something so harmless

I've been in a situation kind of similar to yours, although not as severe. Some of my friends, whenever Sonic was brought into the conversation, would question why I liked the series in general, based on the idea that it's for kids, it's not that great, etc, etc. Yeah, in general, IRL, I'm the only person I know who likes Sonic enough to play it/own games. The way I guess I got through that difference in interest, was me sort of adopting the outlook that "you don't need to be a kid to enjoy a kid's game." It's a rationale that has strengthened my position on my association with Sonic games, and for me at least, it helped a lot. Another thing I ended up doing was, and I'm not too sure if this is the best solution, was that I recognized that there was a difference in opinions regarding video games and all, so I just ended up not bringing up Sonic into conversation for the most part, in an almost "agree-to-disagree" fashion; I dunno, it's sort of helped me and my friends find more common ground video game stuff to discuss rather than constantly disagreeing over the same thing.

This is going to seem like really shitty advice, so take it as you will.

Don't let people know you like Sonic, don't let yourself become an object of ridicule because of him. I know you should stand up for what you love, but it's really not worth getting bullied over.

In high school there were two other people other than me that I knew they likreed sonic. One of them turned into a halo junky the other made a web site for a class project about sonic. Other than those two no one else knew that i liked sonic or mario for that matter. Not even my second cousin and we were in ghe same grade.

Thanks mann, ill get through it. its just been a pain in the ass because everyday it was pretty much the same thing.

what really annoys me is that they all think its childish. alot of adults and teens play this shit so why the hell is it so wrong for me to?

in general there just complete assholes

I'm happy to see that people have been giving genuinely helpful advice and empathy in this topic.  Unfortunately, this topic is best suited for the Personal Discussion sub-forum.  However, since the OP lacks the necessary minimum post requirement, I'm afraid I'm going to have to lock this, as moving it would be fruitless in this case.

If after you make you fifty posts, you decide that you want to continue this discussion, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to reopen and move this topic for you. ^_~