Awoo.

Mario Episode II: Attack of the Copyright Copy-Cat Clones: "Nintendo to Crack Down on Mario Mobile Clones from China"

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

“Super Mario” mobile ripoff among latest unauthorized Nintendo apps

super_mario_ripoff-656x471.jpg

Beijing Flyfish Technology Co. has created a Mario ripoff that goes beyond just the use of assets.

The title features multiple levels in which the mustached plumber is shown in his signature red hat and blue overalls as players jump to obtain mushrooms and coins. Wondering what the game’s name is? “Super Mario”.

Super Mario has been located on Baidu Inc.’s 91 Wireless online app store in China as well as Samsung Electronics Co.’s online China app store.

Beijing Flyfish co-founder Zhu Jinbiao seems to believe that no wrong has been done as he claims his company doesn’t need a license agreement or other permissions from Nintendo.

“Super Mario” is one of numerous unauthorized Nintendo apps put up in app stores in China, Hong Kong, and Japan. Bloomberg has also come across a quiz and mobile wallpaper featuring Nintendo’s characters.

“There were already some similar kinds of PC-based games using flash technology. Our game is similar to those. Some parts are like the original. Some parts we’ve changed.”

Nintendo spokesperson Yasuhiro Minagawa told the publication that the company’s legal team will be looking to crack down on these downloads:

“Nintendo has not approved these applications. Our legal team will investigate them from now.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-mobile-ripoff-among-latest-unauthorized-nintendo-apps/

Well, if you thought Flappy Bird was a ripoff, get ready to be rocked by this.

China-based studio Beijing Flyfish Technology has crafted a Super Mario Bros. rip-off in an attempt to cash in on the plumber's good name.

Most games that intend on using Nintendo's iconic mascot for inspiration usually attempt to mask the fact. However the studio's recently released app is actually named Super Mario, and features a number of slightly tweaked assets.

Beijing Flyfish Technology feels that because there are numerous Mario flash games, there isn't a need to gain permission from Nintendo.

Yasuhiro Minagawa told Bloomberg that "Nintendo has not approved these applications. Our legal team will investigate them from now."

http://www.cubed3.com/news/20557/1/nintendo-to-crack-down-on-mario-mobile-clones-from-china.html#.UwffyajxqmI

And now the chase begins. Feel free to discuss the debacle and update about it here.

Edited by Chris

Well, China did lift their videogame console ban recently, so I assume Nintendo is going to get rid of all of the knockoffs made about their flagship franchises in their absence as they properly (re-?)establish the company and their presence in the country.

Have you ever played any of the shitty bootleg Mario games china shits out? None of them are any good, and no one likes them.

Did they actually make money on this shit? I would have just left it be, most people are just going to pirate it.

There actually IS a very decent Mario clone on iOS called Lep's World. Its not exactly a clone persay, but playing through it the games definitely ARE inspired directly by Mario, far moreso than other platformer spinoffs. The Lep's World games have the same basic structure as the original Mario Bros., the main difference being at least they put in enough effort to give the games a new coat of paint, and yes, as the name implies you are playing as a Leprecaun.

Other than the addition of acorns for throwing, new assets, different items and different character/enemy models, its definitely a Mario clone, but at least its a DECENT Mario clone. It also doesn't reuse assets, so that's something Nintendo probably wouldn't need to worry about at all.

Sounds like these Mario clones are literally clones even with ripped assets, though.

Ah geez Louiez! How's bright idea was it to rip off Mario games without any kind of permission? They should have known that Nintendo's games were copyrighted. What were they thinking? Didn't they consider how much trouble they would get into if they ripped off Nintendo's Mario? Geez!

Ah geez Louiez! How's bright idea was it to rip off Mario games without any kind of permission? They should have known that Nintendo's games were copyrighted. What were they thinking? Didn't they consider how much trouble they would get into if they ripped off Nintendo's Mario? Geez!

I think some background is warranted.

Nintendo and China have had a severely rough history. Superfluous piracy rates, bootlegs galore, you name it, Nintendo's history in China has seen it.

The piracy and bootleg problem is actually so bad that China has it's own line of Nintendo consoles called the iQue. Physical copies of games are not released, only digital copies you have to purchase at iQue stations around the country.

I think some background is warranted.

Nintendo and China have had a severely rough history. Superfluous piracy rates, bootlegs galore, you name it, Nintendo's history in China has seen it.

The piracy and bootleg problem is actually so bad that China has it's own line of Nintendo consoles called the iQue. Physical copies of games are not released, only digital copies you have to purchase at iQue stations around the country.

Well, I do believe I have heard of China bootlegging or ripping off other games before, so I can see where you are coming from. Still, it is amazing to me to see that they dare even rip off Nintendo games in the first place.

I think it's less a matter of daring, and more a matter of not anticipating any negative repercussions to their actions.  I remember reading another article with a quote from the developers of such a clone, claiming that they regarded their actions as harmless on the grounds that there were plenty of other such rip-offs like flash games on the Internet.  I think the essential difference comes when you start charging for your rip-off, though.

• Thumbs Up 1