Awoo.

Console Wars The Movie "Sega Vs Nintendo, Made by Sony"

Badnik Mechanic

consolewars.jpg

Console wars is a behind the scenes business thriller about Sega taking on Nintendo back in the 80's and 90's. It literally is about the battle between Sega and Nintendo during the 90's.

Well... it's being made into a film by Sony Pictures.

Yes my friends, Sega Vs Nintendo... a Sony Pictures film.

The book itself will be published later this year and Sony have aquired the rights to make a movie based on it. Last year they trademarked the movie 'Console Wars.'

Scott Rudin, of Moneyball and The Social Network, are developing a film version of the book, which is to be written and directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg of Knocked Up and Superbad fame. Blake Harris the author is going to be an executive producer on the film.

No trailer or casting details yet, it likely won't be out for a year or two at best. 

Segabits has more.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm... interesting. I'd pay to see that any day. :)
I'd love to see Sony take a jab at the Xbox, which probably won't happen, but it would be cool regardless.

18 fucking years late, but whatever.

All it's going to do is be a less-than-mediocre shitflick that does nothing but enrage Sega fanboys who are stuck in the past.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sega dies

If they plan on being faithful to the history, yeah, most likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well... it's being made into a film by Sony Pictures.

Yes my friends, Sega Vs Nintendo... a Sony Pictures film.

So the company that ultimately was turned down by both Sega and Nintendo to make the PS1 is making a film about the latter two's biggest fight.

This is gonna be good.

Can Nintendo and Sega both be personified and fight in giant mechs and shit, equipped with suiting weapon/move names like Mode 7 and Blast Processing? I mean a documentary is cool and all but

I NEED IT, D;

So basically, World War Blue and Gurren Lagann need to spend a night together.

I'd pay good money to see that.

This is the fourth videogame movie that Sony are making (Sly, Ratchet and Clank, SEGA V Nintendo, and rumoured Sonic). Disney only had to make one to wow everyone, but there just seems to be an over-abundance of videogame films in Sony Pictures' lineup.

This movie is probably going to play the whole thing way too seriously. Dumb nerds on the internet already take console wars (in the past and present) too seriously, we don't need something like this vindicating all that bullshit.

So basically, World War Blue and Gurren Lagann need to spend a night together.

I'd pay good money to see that.

Tengen Toppa Mode 7 and Granzenblast Processing at the final battle please.

But seriously now, took them long enough, I was expecting people to cash in on the console wars waaay sooner than that, and the closest we got was that anime... Still curious on how this movie will work tho', I'll probably buy the book to have an Idea of how things will roll, since the movie will be based on it... 

• Thumbs Up 2

Can Nintendo and Sega both be personified and fight in giant mechs and shit, equipped with suiting weapon/move names like Mode 7 and Blast Processing? I mean a documentary is cool and all but

I NEED IT, D;

If they're going to be personified, they need to be moe anime female characters like in Hyperdimension Neptunia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdimension_Neptunia

You know what the worst part about this is?

That model of Sega Genesis they used is the stripped down model 1 (Revision VA6.1-VA7) with horrible audio.

Dah, I was going to make a joke post about how this doesn't look like Neptunia and therefore it sucks but AdventChild kinda beat me to it. argargaragragararg

Thing is, I'd understand if it was played seriously, because it WAS a big deal. It involved two massive companies, fighting over superiority in an extremely lucrative market. It was all suits, super serious business stuff. If it involves money, I understand if it's a proper drama thing.

So Sony crowns its slew of incoming game movies with a movie... about the industry itself. These guys are REALLY aggressive with this stuff, clearly!

I have zero doubt that Sonic film is legitimate in at least some respect with how many movies they are pushing out.

It is also beautiful that they are making the film as it represents all three gaming superpowers of the 90s coming together. It also means this will probably be more impartial, as well!

I can see them taking a route a la The Social Network; mainly serious, but pretty lighthearted and even some funny moments. I don't think they would make this TOO serious honestly. But I'm very excited to see how this movie pans out. It could be really great!

• Thumbs Up 1

Woah, Sony is just going crazy with these video game movies. It's interesting how we're getting a documentary. I would expect them to do something akin to World War Blue, but hey, I guess a documentary could be interesting as well. As long as the writing isn't crap, and they don't overflow the cast with popular celebrities, I'm cool with this.

I can just imagine the ending.

"The smoke rises from the battlefield, Nintendo has won this bloody battle, for SEGA shot themselves in the foot one too many times...

... but then a new champion of gaming shone down from the heavens and ushered in a new age free from Nintedomination, it's name is...

...PlayStation"

All it's going to do is be a less-than-mediocre shitflick that does nothing but enrage Sega fanboys who are stuck in the past.

So the butthurt reactions would be more entertaining than the film itself? :U

So this may be a dumb question and I may have looked right pass the answer....but is this set for a theaterical release or like a "straight to video/netflix/streaming servce" release? I wouldn't mind sitting down in a theater to watch something like this.

Am I alone in feeling this probably won't come out? I dunno, there's just something about it that suggests this'll be one of those films that gets stuck in pre-production until it dies....

The same guy putting the drama version of the movie together is also making his own documentary about the film. The documentary might see the light of day if it's a personal project which could be done through kickstarter or something but I just can't see Sony releasing a big budget drama about the console war...though I hope I'm proved wrong.

I'd take this with a pinch of salt for now though, buying up rights to unpublished books is nothing unusual, even having some names attached to the project doesn't mean anything until it actually goes into production...