Awoo.

Space Jam 2- Lebron James is the real Monstar.

Nintendoga

lmao I legit thought we didn’t have a thread for this at all.

rise from your grave of seven years

the sequel is real

it’s actually more of a cyberspace jam

I’m just here to post the trailer, others can come in with the other developments (plot, promotional stills, commentary about the animation, complaints about Lola’s new design or Pepe le pew being cut, etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I just saw freaking Pennywise, Drogon, Scooby Doo, King Kong, and a manner of plenty more characters that this crazy company owns.

Alright....sign me up for this mad ride.

If this one just embraces the madness in the right way, then they've got something going here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, were they inspired by Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden or Shaq Fu with the lost son plot? (I know it's a Hollywood cliche, but still) Regardless, this is a throwback I can get behind.

(also, I barely even noticed the Lola Bunny redesign. It's like every other time horny dudes on the Internet made a huge ruckus over nothing)

• Thumbs Up 1

Still can’t say I’m particularly excited. The two main factors for me being both the plot synopsis that got revealed, that IMO somehow makes the original Space Jam looks like a masterwork in comparison, that and Warner Animation has not a good track record thus far. Scoob was also touted around as a big crossover kickoff to a cinematic universe and it came out significantly worse as a result. Meanwhile, Tom & Jerry comes off like a really good Tom and Jerry short film trapped with a bad movie about humans running a hotel.

It’s really hard to say I’m not excited because the crossover aspect looks cool as hell, and seeing stuff like The Iron Giant and the Mask again for the first time in ages is great, but it just reminds me of how badly Scoob suffered for the same aspect. It’s beginning to feel more like a gimmick than a actual wanted element in a movie. 

On Lola - I honestly couldn’t care less about her redesign, my problem with her is I think it’s incredibly dumb that they’re returning to the bland as fuck Lola personality from the original Space Jam, instead of the reestablished Lola from The Looney-Tunes Show, that was both far funnier, and fitted in better amongst a cast this crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

James #1 choice for his potential dream team got an honest laugh out of me.

Looks like something I might enjoy watching on an airplane sometime in the future... or maybe I'd give it a whirl if it came for free on one of the streaming services I'll have to buy into between now and then. Can't say I'd go out of my way to see it though.

I am legit curious to see if we get a Jordan cameo tho.... how could you not?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

....instead of the reestablished Lola from The Looney-Tunes Show, that was both far funnier, and fitted in better amongst a cast this crazy.

The New Looney Tunes Lola is the currently established Lola...she doesn't act like that either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, they even included Clockwork Orange in this family picture.

As ambitious as this crossover is getting, they've even got the Mask, Agent Smith,  and two, count 'em two takes on Peguin (Deviot and Burges Metedith) practically side by side.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the background you can see the water tower... are the Animaniacs gonna make a cameo?

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m really hoping the references don’t overtake this and this literally becomes just another Ready Player One situation. Like sure the original film was still a cynical marketing ploy, but like it didn’t feel as blatantly in your face I guess with it. Last thing I want is this movie from beginning to end sprinkling reference after reference on us. Occasional is fine, but that shouldn’t be the films bread and butter and identity. Aside from that it looks like good fun, but I’m still not convinced yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So looks like WB pulled a bit of Scoob in terms of giving talented VAs the shaft. So can you guess who is voicing Lola this time around? Kath Soucie who played the original? NOPE! The New Looney Tunes Show's Kristen Wiig? WRONG AGAIN!

It's Zendaya!

*Crickets

https://www.etonline.com/zendaya-joins-space-jam-a-new-legacy-as-the-voice-of-lola-bunny-163456

Now we have true controversy right here of Hollywood giving talented VAs the shaft yet again just for name recognition and star power, feeling very miscast. Sounds like they're going for the blatant "GRL PWR" pandering, but rejecting females who can play the role decent or better in the process. Standards!

Though I'm sure fans of the original might be miffed that Billy West isn't reprising the role of Bugs, but the fact that they have Looney Tunes Show Jeff Bergman doing Bugs but not even manage to get Kristen Wiig back on board is still pretty baffling to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, AdventChild said:

but the fact that they have Looney Tunes Show Jeff Bergman doing Bugs but not even manage to get Kristen Wiig back on board is still pretty baffling to say the least.

Jeff was the voice of Bugs Bunny before Billy West...

He was the immediate replacement after Blanc's passing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the original one was a refresh of a shoe commercial starring someone who was incapable of delivering any lines without looking like he was reading them off a teleprompter, it's very impressive that this one is looking particularly cynical on WB's part even in comparison. Like even the usual rolleyes "I can't believe they are removing *thing X* from this movie because of fake Twitter SJW outrage" reactions aren't really so eyeroll-worthy when it's clear that the utmost important thing for the creative process of this movie is whatever is the most creatively bankrupt decision they could possibly make to make sure they cast the widest net possible to keep people interested in *BRAND*.

For fuck's sake, at least Space Jam was about Michael Jordan and was a Looney Tunes movie, loaded with comedy talent and had writers who were well aware of what kind of movie it was and made aside glances taking the piss out of itself. Not a movie that just happens to have LeBron James in it and happens to have Looney Tunes in it but the real important thing is that you are reminded about all of the great WarnerMedia properties available for streaming on HBO Max. The plot synopsis they've given so far for this one is so generic and banal you could replace LeBron James with Sylvester Stallone and you've basically made a sequel to Over the Top.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Lola Bunny, I feel her portrayal in New Looney Tunes (aka Wabbit!) should be the definitive take on the character, it blended aspects of both her LTS and Space Jam personalities, with a bit of Babs Bunny thrown in.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, with the whole "they only get good when they start playing looney", this is beginning to look like a huge retrend of the original with a new coat of paint, at least with the basketball game.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not gonna lie, with the whole "they only get good when they start playing looney", this is beginning to look like a huge retrend of the original with a new coat of paint, at least with the basketball game.

Its been over 20 years since the original, suppose they wanted a modern take for the ones born after.

• Thumbs Up 2

Coach Daffy looks great. Not so sure about everything else, but I can at least appreciate how much money they're putting into this.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's genuinely awful. Why do they still do this stuff in movies? Do people actually find this funny? I really wish we just got Back in Action 2 at this point with Joe Dante directing again.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I guess this is where we now get to feel the old fans felt when they first tore apart the original for making jokes that were "hip and trendy" back then. This time ten fold.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Boy, this is uh

this is something 

Robot Chicken did it way better.

On 7/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, 8ther said:

I'm guessing we're getting a Buggin' 2 soon?

Yes, I recently discovered this existed and it slaps though..... 

Too bad A New Legacy's OST has nothing on the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our first reviews are in from Australia, where this... wonderful experiment apparently got released about a week before it opens here in America.

Space Jam 2 A New Legacy review: LeBron James sequel is a marketing executive’s wet dream (news.com.au)

Spoiler

TL;DR: The movie seems fine. Its constant masturbation over everything Warner Bros. isn't, and may very well taint the production for many.

We have our reviews!

AirBaaaaaaaaaall.PNG

"The first Space Jam was hardly a classic, which should temper expectations. Yet even by that standard, this marketing-driven exercise too often plays like the Acme version of it."

- Brian Lowry, CNN.com (no score)

"Here's the thing about basketball: It is extremely watchable. Here's the thing about Space Jam: A New Legacy: It's not."

- Mary Sollosi, Entertainment Weekly (D+)

"I've never seen anything like it. I also hope to never see anything like it again, and I wish I could unsee what I HAVE seen."

- Richard Roeper, Chicago Sun-Times (1.5 stars out of 4)

"Space Jam: A New Legacy takes almost nothing but wrong turns, all leading to a glittering CGI trash heap of cameos, pat life lessons, and stale internet catchphrases."

- A.A Dowd, The A.V. Club (C-)

A few positive reviews are in there, but this one looks like a dud to many. Thoughts?

Space Jam: A New Legacy - Movie Reviews (rottentomatoes.com)