Awoo.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - "Repent, Mother Fuckers!"

DocAzure

250px-Pantystockinglogo.png

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is a Japanese anime series produced by Gainax, who also produced series' such as Gurren Lagann and FLCL, and is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi. An English dub of the series was also produced and released by Funimation. The show revolves around the exploits of the Anarchy sisters, Panty and Stocking, angels who were kicked out of Heaven due to their bad behavior. They are sent to Daten City, a place located on the border between Heaven and Hell, which is attacked by evil spirits referred to as "Ghosts". Under the watchful eye of the reverend Garterbelt, the two are tasked with collecting enough Heaven Coins to buy their way back into Heaven by destroying Ghosts using their powers, including the ability to transform their lingere into weapons. However, Panty and Stocking are constantly sidetracked by their respective interests in men and sugar.

629328-official_promo_image___panty_and_

Well, there goes the summing up of the series, so it's time for my personal opinions on the show, which I literally just finished about an hour before writing this (I'm a dub guy, just in case you were wondering). It's complete insanity, and so hilariously funny. The humor is largely immature, usually resorting to toilet humor, but that doesn't harm it. It's an escape. I feel like I don't need to think whenever I watch it, I just take it in and laugh my ass off in the process. The characters on offer are enough to keep me invested, and the constant parody and references to other pieces of media, such as Phoenix Wright, and Ghostbusters, is always good. The animation style really mixes up many different things, from the traditional anime styling you'd expect that appears in the transformation scenes, to the things more typical in western animation, which appear much more often. The South Park parody in 'If Angels Wore Swimsuits' is so hilarious, I laughed so hard at that. Now, the fanservice...personally, I don't mind it, mostly because I expected it. It's played largely for laughs, I mean, these girls are 'angels', and the only way to activate their powers is to do a striptease and pole dance. It's ridiculous, and something that, clearly, if you take to serious, you won't enjoy.

​I'd definitely recommend this series to anyone and everyone, just be clear though, it definitely isn't for everyone. that fact has been made clear to me.

Hopefully a second season will materialize some day, it'd be a crying shame if it didn't.

• Thumbs Up 9

Watching this show was an... adventure, all right. I can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

This show was pretty sick (as in cool, awesome, etc) or it can be sick as in disgusting to some since it's dirty as all hell. I also have to give special props to the soundtrack...it's flippin' good stuff (so good that I bought it).

I watched it subbed, but considering how western the show feels I really should watch it again but dubbed this time.

I love this show, it's my 4th or 5th favorite anime. Just crazy balls-to-the-wall crudeness and hilarity, it's really funny. Also has a great soundtrack. If you like raunchy humor and want something that'll make you laugh your ass off, go for it. 

Y'know, I have the soundtrack for this show, but I have yet to actually watch it. Funny that there's a topic about it now though, as I remember watching a review by Gigguk on Youtube not too long ago.

...I should probably take this out from the backlog, shouldn't I.

I'm honestly surprised a show this awesome didn't have a thread yet.

PSG is one of the few anime I've actually watched, and boy is it great. It's raunchy, hilarious, and doesn't take itself too seriously. It's right up my alley.

Oh, and the soundtrack is fuckin' groovetacular.

one of the few shows I bothered watching every week when first airing. beautiful show. made purely for the love of silly humour and animation. I can honestly say my life is better for having watched it.

OH MY LORD, this show. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is my first completed and favorite anime. The first thing that attracted me was the Western-y PPG-esque art style and vibrant pastel colors. The simplistic character shapes and sharp linework inspired my art style. I'm guessing the cartoony style was supposed to be a take that! to western cartoons and they were trying to make it ugly, but they failed to offend me and my ugly unrealistic toons that lack kawaii desu big eyes and large back-breaking hooters. The animation was amazing, as usual for Gainax productions. Well of course when it was in frame-by-frame and the frame rate wasn't at 12.

I came into this show expecting a cartoony slice of life show that parodies western cartoons, but then I saw how mean spirited and immature everything was and was repulsed but at the same time attracted to the writing. I quickly grew onto the sweet-toothed goth, vulgar sex addict, token black priest and Gir by the end of episode one. (Yes, I love the other characters as well)

Speaking of ends, the credits song, Fallen Angel, was stuck in my head for a week. I LOVE this song. I love the 80's R&B feel, the vocals, the cheesy but relatable lyrics, the bassline and instrumentation. Fallen Angel is my number one favorite track of the OST. I downloaded it on my mp3 player the day after my first viewing of the show and listened to it on replay for the entire time I was awake, it's that awesome to me.

Anyway, things I disliked were the occasional off-model moments when characters became overly-simplistic chibis that looked like they were drawn by a five year old, moments when the animation went to tweened flash animation and when the fucking English dub went too fucking overboard with the goddamn cursing, which was made to appeal to the skullfucking western audience, but ended up turning quite a fucking few people down.

Fuck.

I'd love to see another season of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, but that is unlikely since this show was an experiment and anime with more than one season is a rarity, especially in Gainax's case, and especially because of that wonderful ending of the season finale. If they ever decided to reboot it (which is VERY unlikely *sobs*) I'd be very happy, because this show is one of my favorite things in the animation industry.

Now I've finished it, I'm actually going back and listening to the OST. The soundtrack is so good.

One track in particular though, called Juice, is a little...well, just listen to it. (Not linking, because it's NSFW)

I remember I was first told about this show when people said my art style reminded them of P&S. I then looked into it and I was surprised at how into it I got. I will admit I was sad to see that there were only 13 episodes tho... 

Now I've finished it, I'm actually going back and listening to the OST. The soundtrack is so good.

One track in particular though, called Juice, is a little...well, just listen to it. (Not linking, because it's NSFW)

Ah yeah. Juice is something else alright...was not expecting that.

First off, the art style.  I friggin' love it, and it's one of the most unique looking animes I've seen.  And the animation is very stylized and fun, and personally it cracks me up whenever they purposely make the animation shittier for jokes.  Like this part:

peekaboo_panty_and_stocking_with_garterb

^If you're unaware, that isn't just a bad gif.  That's actually how that part is animated in the show.  I love it.

Anyways, the show itself.  I can't tell if it's a guilty pleasure or just a pleasure.  It's......low brow, to say the least.  You know you've at least accomplished something if South Park looks civilized in comparison.  For whatever reason, it really entertains me.  I don't actively watch a lot of anime, but if I've got spare time and want something to watch,  I'm definitely into some PSG.

Anarchyyyyyyyyyyy

Oh my god I love this show!

I actually looked it up when someone posted on the merch thread about getting the boxset on blu-Ray and I was intruiged.

Needless to say I started to watch and I finished the season within the week.

I really enjoy the show, the animation is fluid and the style I actually really like . The characters themselves still seem fairly relatable at times and when they aren't they are just over the tip exaggerations. The humour while fairly "adult " still got a good laugh from me , it's this sorta show i watch just to laugh and enjoy myself.

I actually really enjoyed the pacing, where it started with a really loose plot ( get heaven coins) but then the final 2 or 3 episodes had an overarching storyine.

I do think the swearing could have been toned down a little in the dub, seems like they swore for the heck of it a lot of the time and one particular story I didn't like was the one with the office guy, I just got really bored with that story , and the animation didn't really gel at all between the two styles.

Overall though it really is a great show, I'd reccomend to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of vulgarity and wants a good laugh!

Team Stocking top tier getcho panties outta here.

I find it hard to describe this show. It's so stupid, so nonsensical. At one hand I don't really feel like watching but on the other hand my dick is telling me that I can't stop. I like the humor, the animation can be funny when it wants to be funny and good when it's trying to be good. It's a downer that there's only a handful of episodes, but maybe it's better this way.

/flies away now

• Thumbs Up 2

Watching this show was an... adventure, all right. I can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not entirely sure what I watched but I would not say I wasn't pretty entertained by it. :U

Oh and speaking of awesome music from this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNTk-nhC8_E

Demon Sisters represent! Fuck your Angel Anarchy shit, there needs to be rules to maintain order from you psycho bitch fans!

I love the Demon sisters, more so Scanty since she's just an elegant and classy bitch and she revels in that fact, everyone seems to root for Knee socks over her older sister, so naturally I feel for poor Scanty since she doesn't seem to be liked much in the series. I even went by naming my tumblr after her!

But seriously I can't believe you guys haven't even posted this yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYNcQsSZ7A  Top Tier demon bitches up in here, laying down the rururruuruuu's!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Fuck the ending.

That's really all I have to say anymore. Otherwise it was fun to watch.

But then it wouldn't be a true Gainax Studio anime without the tradtional omgwhattheflyingfuckisthishorseshit Gainax ending! tongue.png

Finishing a story on a cliffhanger that had no real reason to happen other than fake shock value is just bad writing, regardless of who made it.

Fuck the ending.

Your hate only fuels Gainax some more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fuck the ending.

Seconded.

It's definitely one of my favorite animes, though. The soundtrack is also sex to my ears.

Yeah the ending is supposed to be a joke. If you ignore the entire last minute then the story resolves itself perfectly.

• Thumbs Up 1