Awoo.

Why are Sonic games trademarked in uppercase letters?

Willsy

This is something I've noticed with Sonic games from 06 onwards; Sonic games (or main series at least) have been trademarked in uppercase. For example, rather than Sonic Unleashed it's 'SONIC UNLEASHED', or 'SONIC GENERATIONS'.

I'm not sure if something so small warrants a thread (or if there's already a thread), but I am legitimately curious as to why. Also, I'm not sure if it's just the main series titles that are trademarked like this, I don't think the Mario & Sonic games are.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willsy

• -Mark-

• MegaMan_EXE

• Metal the Mario

I don't really care how the games are trademarked. They have the name, and as long you have the title capitalized, it really doesn't matter.

Apologies if this seems like I'm being really rude/ dickish/ blunt, but... how the hell are we supposed to know? We're not Sega, we're not the ones who trademarks them. 

At the very best we'd be able to give speculation.

I have a simple theory, I think.

"Sonic" is a pretty generic word, meaning having broken the sound barrier, as are a ton of their subtitles.

Making it capitalised is more distinctive of the brand, as is pairing it with the other word.

The ordinary joe will still call it "Sonic Unleashed," and not "SONIC UNLEASHED," but from a legal perspective it probably goes a long way to increase the uniqueness of a title.

I think it has a lot to do with the way things translate from Japanese to English.  If you've ever found yourself having to sift through Japanese text to find information about something you like, you'll often notice instances of English characters spread throughout.  In these instance, proper nouns often make use of various caps combinations to stylize the text.  Sometimes they might be all capitalized, other times they might be in all lower case, or any combination there of.

I can only assume that the reason it carries over into the English sect is because the style of the text is an important identifying factor.  I don't know, though.  It's an interesting question, but not one that I think has a definitive answer.

My answer was going to be BECAUSE CAPSLOCK LOL. 

I always thought it was because on the game boxes and logos Sonic is always in big block letters.

It is to ADRESS THE SIGNIFICANCE THAT THE GAME IS IMPORTANT.....sorry about that :(, but many games are capitalized by that to make them stand out and be, well, important to the consumer.

People are drawn to more HUGE things, so for all kinds of things (movies, cartoons, games, books, ect) to have HUGE CAP'S on them does make alot of since once you think about it :).

The only thing I would say that bothers me about this is when the capitalization carries over to other series when they reference Sonic games. In the Sonic trophy section in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, all of the Sonic games that the trophies are said to have appeared in are in all-caps, like "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2" or "SONIC RUSH ADVENTURE". Mysteriously, though, "Sonic and the Secret Rings" was the only title left as-is.

Not only did it look weird in that game, but it conflicted with the numerous other franchises whose games were in all-caps on their logos but were listed normally.