Awoo.

Who would you guys would want to see your favorite character redesigned in Sonic Boom

ShadowMarioStar54

I want shadow in there but i dont want him to be redesigned with extra quills and sports tape just to look like a recolour of sonic.

ok, maybe a few quills wouldn't hurt but dont put no sports tape on him, just leave his appearance the way it is.

I have thought of ways before, but what good does that do considering the amount of input Sonic Team/SEGA take in from fans?

It shows that fans are capable of brainstorming and devising solutions. Whether its actually considered by Sonic Team/SEGA is nothing but theoretical, and as fans with selective power over what they hear and what they actually deliver we might as well be happy we have theories of them. Not the best answer you wanted, but unless one of us joins them, what more can we do beyond voice our complaints and take a shot ourselves?

There's plenty of ideas that I could come up with, but when it's about a character I haven't cared about since 2005, why should I bother?

So you can tell others ways of how to make you care if they wanted to try? Or at the very least deflect them in case someone like me is about to jump at your throat over improving these faulty elements? There's tons of ideas out there, and people would like to hear them alongside the criticisms instead of just leaving them at critiques. For example, I personally don't like Big the cat in the games for reasons of his lack of use and minimal contributions, and for his calm demeanor there seems to be little to place him, but seeing other people like him and how much better his Archie counterpart is in addressing these things makes me think that he can do some justice when done right.

I have to agree with Diogenes; it's pretty easy to see how most characters could be redesigned to fit in with Boom.  I hesitate to say "just add sports tape," but it's honestly not far off; they'd be by and large the same but with a bit more detail, more accoutrements, a more rugged look, more individual body shape.  There aren't that many characters which wouldn't fit this profile in some way.  I think it's the "rugged" tone that is perhaps a bit stifling.  If later Boom games shift settings to take the characters somewhere more modern or urbane or technologically developed rather than having them stay out in the rough ruins, that would help to point character redesigns in a more original direction.  Noir Chaotix is interesting, but honestly I'm not sure if they're that kind of detective.  Maybe more like some kind of Mission Impossible sort of thing.  Vector's the brawn, Espio's the stealthy one, Charmy does distractions and the odd bit of flying.  Maybe bring back Mighty as the everyman team leader, and suddenly you have a gang of four that might just mirror Sonic's gang of four.  Of course, if you give them that, then that's kind of stealing Rouge's niche - or maybe not.  Rouge is essentially a femme fatale.  Make her a cat burglar, make her a spy, something like that, just so long as she's on the wrong side of the law - or of morality, whichever applies to the setting.

Actually, that's good advice all-round.  Really look at a character and ask what they're essentially about, what their design expresses.  You can't really do Shadow as anything but a dark doppelganger of Sonic, for instance, and I wouldn't expect a Boom version of Shadow to deviate very far from that rival role.  Silver's always going to be future-y - not necessarily from the future, but futuristic.  Blaze is always going to be royal.  Omega's always going to be a killer robot.  The details may change but the idea behind the character won't.

So you can tell others ways of how to make you care if they wanted to try? Or at the very least deflect them in case someone like me is about to jump at your throat over improving these faulty elements? There's tons of ideas out there, and people would like to hear them alongside the criticisms instead of just leaving them at critiques. For example, I personally don't like Big the cat in the games for reasons of his lack of use and minimal contributions, and for his calm demeanor there seems to be little to place him, but seeing other people like him and how much better his Archie counterpart is in addressing these things makes me think that he can do some justice when done right.

I'll admit I phrased that part kind of poorly. A better way of saying what I meant is that if it's a character that I've completely lost interest in ever since 2005, what is my sudden motivation to start coming up with says to make him better? Now if he was showing up constantly in the games, then of course I'd be more motivated to do so, but seeing his current state (anti-Sonic by the side lines that's just "there"), I don't see a reason to get all into it seeing as I don't even care for Shadow in the first place. For Tails? Sure. Heck, even Amy and Knuckles? Sure! They're used consistently enough now for me to bother looking into areas for improvement in their characters, added to the fact that I actually care for them. Shadow was just disinteresting to me right from the start.

I've got a idea how Shadow could look like perhaps with glasses and a jacket. He'd look pretty cool. As for Silver, Blaze and Rouge I have no idea. Maybe for Rouge, perhaps a suit . Omega and Metal Sonic are fine as they are. Would be interested how Cream and the Chaotix are redisigned. I would like to see Marine ( yeah I know it's unlikely) and also Flickies, Chao and Vanilla.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got a idea how Shadow could look like perhaps with glasses and a jacket. He'd look pretty cool. 

shadow_in_sonic_boom_render_by_nibrocroc

That's what you had in mind, right? :P

Actually, I'd like them to still play to whole Sonic-Shadow similarities if he ever appears in Boom. Sonic's got a short neckerchief type scarf, Shadow should have a full blown cloak. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It'd be pretty amusing if the characters' similarities came full circle and Shadow blatantly wore the same cloak as Bass.EXE.

I agree that any changes to his appearance should mirror the ones made to Sonic, but I think that maybe, if he's still artificial in any way, maybe he should have a neck thingy to reflect that somehow while also being similar to Sonic's scarf. A collar, maybe, put on by whoever made him?

The classic bomb collar, perhaps?  Although that would seem a bit too relevant to the plot of just one game, so you'd have to update it afterwards, so maybe not.

Makes me wonder what you'd stick on Metal Sonic, though, to achieve the same parallel.  It's pretty reasonable to suggest that Metal Sonic would be at least a little bit banged-up and held together with a lot of wire and such as a parallel to the sports tape, but in place of the scarf... something involving chains would be fairly overblown but might get the point across.  Or part of some rags or a flag or other large piece of cloth that he flies through at one point.  Something to suggest that he spends his time breaking and tearing things, anyway.

Professor Pickle. That shit would be fucking awesome.

Oh, and Shadow, Silver and the Chaotix would also be cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

If none of the Chaotix make it into Boom, I hope there'll at least be someone around who's a reptile or insect or something else unusual. Mammals are all well and good, but I want to see some weird shit.

(you know you're a Sonic fan when echidnas don't count as weird shit to you anymore)

...although honestly, I hope that Boom being a fresh start means that if there are any insects, they'll be more... actually like insects than Charmy's Sonic Team design. Not that I think bug characters should look totally different from everyone else, but surely we can do better than Tails in a bee suit. Vector was a pretty good compromise between fitting in with Sonic and actually looking like the animal he's supposed to be; I'd happily take something like that for any bugs who show up.

...although honestly, I hope that Boom being a fresh start means that if there are any insects, they'll be more... actually like insects than Charmy's Sonic Team design. Not that I think bug characters should look totally different from everyone else, but surely we can do better than Tails in a bee suit. Vector was a pretty good compromise between fitting in with Sonic and actually looking like the animal he's supposed to be; I'd happily take something like that for any bugs who show up.

What about Charmy's design screams "Tails in a bee suit"...? I don't get it, Charmy's design isn't even remotely similar to Tails or even based off it. Neither designs give me a Tails vibe.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Shadow should have details that you would see on someone from the military and/or the type of guy that you'd see dressed in black, riding Motorcycles and using guns.

What about Charmy's design screams "Tails in a bee suit"...? I don't get it, Charmy's design isn't even remotely similar to Tails or even based off it. Neither designs give me a Tails vibe.

He looks like Tails as much as he looks like any child-size Sonic-style mammal character. Tails was the obvious example, but he looks as much like Cream or Marine or Classic Amy or whatever.

I wasn't talking about relatively minor details like the colour of his snout or the size of his eyes; the point is that he looks like ~a Sonic character~ right down to the cute button nose, but his resemblance to a bee extends to... a helmet, basically. Bee Mario looks more like a bee than Charmy.

While I'd love to see most of the characters we all know and love make an appearance, there is one character I wanna see. Specifically after Diogenes mentioned furthest from 'Rugged Adventurer.' I know a lot of folks will be wondering just what the heck I'm on when I say this, but...

Big.

Big.

Well.. "In this world we created to focus on teamwork, Big is the peacemaker in the group. We really wanted to emphasize his 'joy' for fishing. We kinda bulked him up and gave him this jacket to further show this." "We really thought about each little change we made on the characters, nothing was made without lots of hard thought, as you see we kinda gave Big this bigger build to show thats he's still strong but gave him sort of. A fisherman's jacket to show that even though he's strong he's more into his 'joy' of fishing."

pFJKcsI.png

X3 This is completely a joke post. But I thought it'd be a nice way to test out my new art software. And show you Big as you never imagined him. Rocking some sports tape on his rod arm to further show his fishing love.

Well.. "In this world we created to focus on teamwork, Big is the peacemaker in the group. We really wanted to emphasize his 'joy' for fishing. We kinda bulked him up and gave him this jacket to further show this." "We really thought about each little change we made on the characters, nothing was made without lots of hard thought, as you see we kinda gave Big this bigger build to show thats he's still strong but gave him sort of. A fisherman's jacket to show that even though he's strong he's more into his 'joy' of fishing."

* picture * 

X3 This is completely a joke post. But I thought it'd be a nice way to test out my new art software. And show you Big as you never imagined him. Rocking some sports tape on his rod arm to further show his fishing love.

Heh, totally understandable.

But I more or less figured he'd likely wind up as one of those backround beings. Y'know, just in the back, pointed out. Sort've a thing like SA2 had maybe!

But, I'm just saying here, if he Did get a bigger, speaking included role, I think it'd be rather hilarious if he acted more like a wise old man. Y'know, like one of the characters comes to him, and he spouts some sort've gibberish, yet still making sense when they actually think about. Perhaps even making these sayings all fishing related too. I just found the idea of Big being some sort've wise being hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

He looks like Tails as much as he looks like any child-size Sonic-style mammal character. Tails was the obvious example, but he looks as much like Cream or Marine or Classic Amy or whatever.

I wasn't talking about relatively minor details like the colour of his snout or the size of his eyes; the point is that he looks like ~a Sonic character~ right down to the cute button nose, but his resemblance to a bee extends to... a helmet, basically. Bee Mario looks more like a bee than Charmy.

Resemblance to a bee extends to: His antennae, his yellow/black stripe pattern, tiny clear-color wings, and the stinger...all 4 things that Bee Mario has.

I kind of see what you're getting at with the basic look...but the basic bee features that appear on his character is enough of a clear sign. I mean not every Sonic character even has the basic features of the animal they're based off of appearance wise any way, Charmy wouldn't be a special case, really.

• 2 weeks later...

Eggman-Nega. I want to see him differ from Eggman in style fitting to his character. While Boom Eggman is top heavy and fat (possible using a corset by the looks of it to hide that belly) Boom Eggman-Nega could show no method of hiding his belly.

Perhaps slight variation of his facial features, probably a more prominent hooked nose with other features that announce something sinister and underlying but snobbish. Maybe some cultural airs in his method of dress.

Favorite character? Sonic was already redesigned, hehe.

However, I would like to see how Shadow and Silver looked redesigned, Blaze would look cool as well.

Really, I think I would like to see the current cast redesigned, because how Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy look now, I think the entire cast would look pretty cool.

Eggman-Nega. I want to see him differ from Eggman in style fitting to his character. While Boom Eggman is top heavy and fat (possible using a corset by the looks of it to hide that belly) Boom Eggman-Nega could show no method of hiding his belly.

Perhaps slight variation of his facial features, probably a more prominent hooked nose with other features that announce something sinister and underlying but snobbish. Maybe some cultural airs in his method of dress.

This is actually a good point, maybe we'll get a Nega cameo in the alternate-dimension episode they've got planned? That'd be a nice reference.

• 4 weeks later...

As all of us know the new continuity Sonic Boom has presented new designs for the characters, from Sonic's uncomfortable sports tape liking to Knuckles's...erm...we're not going to discuss him, BUT what I WANTED to talk about is what are the other major character redesigns going to if they appear in Boom? In my opinion Shadow and Silver will NOT look like Sonic because it's been clearly stated that Sonic has been given the rough look because he's an adventurer which Shadow and Silver are not so much...

SO, without further delays, these are my ideas on what other Sonic character's redesigns shall look like, feel free to leave me your own ideas as well :D

SHADOW

This is a tricky one since it depends on how much SEGA alter his backstory to not include the chaos emeralds, but let's assume that he's pretty much the same character as he is in the games...I'd say that his look would reflect on him being "THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM!" and being a G.U.N agent, his jet shoes will likely stay with maybe some minor alterations but not to the extent they've altered Sonic' shoes, I also think that his quills may also take on a more smooth and "majestic" look to support his perfect being role, his inhibitor rings MIGHT stay but I have my doubts since they've not been really used for a long time in the game's cannon (not even in his OWN game!!!)

SILVER

If Silver appears in Boom then his design will probably be more futuristic than his current game look, I can easily see his quills being folded back like in his early concept which is highly loved by fans of the character, I imagine that his golden bracers will stay since they have always had a futuristic look to them and they blend in well with the markings on his hands, and last but not least, it would be a nice concept if the markings on his hands expanded across his entire body and maybe even change his eye colour to cyan to match his abilities, I have a concept of this on my DA page if you'd like to check it out :)

http://danfryer.deviantart.com/art/Silver-alternate-design-portrait-445967270

THE CHAOTIX

Okay I know I'm kind of cheating by putting 3 characters in 1 but I'm kind lower in ideas about them, Charmy will probably have the least redesign of the three since there's not really that much to his look so he'll probably get his clothes recoloured at least, Vector will probably keep his signature earphones since he's had them in ALL of his appearences, he might also get maybe a coat or something that make him look like more like the boss of the group, Espio by far has the most potential for redesign, his ninja style could maybe earn him a more of a dark attire and maybe even a bit of a robe or bandana, there's a lot they could do with him

Well, that sums up my ideas on how characters will look in Sonic Boom and like I said before, don't forget to tell me your own ideas, LATER! :D 

I hope the Chaotix make it into Boom! But I kind of hope they don't blow up the characters again like with Knuckles...it's just kind of wacky to have such a drastic change of shape after all these years. Even if it's kind of hilarious, personally.

I really like the Hawaiian Shadow design that's floating around, but I imagine more tape will be involved if the source responsible is credible. Actually, team dark as a whole would be nice if they were involved. Especially Omega.

I do hope Silver is in it! I rather like Silver as a character, though I'm not sure how they will integrate him. And Blaze, too.