Awoo.

Let's Go, Soul Resonance!-A Soul Eater Topic On SSMB?

Chaos Warp

(promo-ish video done by me. First time I ever did anything like this so bear with me on the video's quality)

Soul Eater is an anime series (based on the manga of the same name) produced by Bones. Inc and directed by Takuya Igarashi, and revolves around 3 Meister-Weapon pairs (Maka and Soul Eater, Black Star and Tsubaki, and Death The Kid and Liz and Patty Thompson) and their adventures. You see, in the world of Soul Eater, certain people have the ability to transform into a weapon, and meisters are the people who wield these weapons, hence a Weapon and Meister pair. The show revolves around the said 3 pairs and their various adventures attending the Death Weapon Meister Academy (in short, DWMA), a school for weapons and meisters to learn how to fight evil and hunt Kishin souls, the souls of people who have started hunting human souls and in general have become evil. The plot goes in several different directions (not in the unfocused way either: just that the soul collecting and school stuff isn't the only focus) but I won't spoil anything here. All I'll say is that I think the show is great and right now it's my 3rd favorite anime.

Despite the writing kind of getting shaky around the late 30's (in terms of episode numbers) to the end (especially the ending), it never drops to a point where it's not enjoyable, and before that the writing's pretty great, with good action, and enjoyable characters and (for the most part) humor. Dub's really well done too, Funimation did a good job with this one. Death The Kid is my personal favorite (I find his symmetry obsession hilarious and he's also really badass), while Black Star is my least favorite by far (I don't hate him but HAHA I'M BLACK STAR THE BIGGEST STAR EVER please shut up), but for the most part all characters are memorable and likeable. So yeah, it's good. Spoilers time!

My favorite part of the show by far is Episodes 18-24, the Kishin awakening arc for lack of a better term. It's here where the story really intensifies in urgency, and there's some good character stuff going on with Chrona and such. It's really good stuff, and I wish the rest of the show could maintain the level of hype it had, but alas it was kind of a season 1 finale kind of deal and Episode 25 kind of started a new segment of the plot arc so it kind of had to be that way. 

I really thought the final episode is where the more shaky writing really came out in full force (If you're curious, it's the late 30's where the show diverges completely from the manga, so the shaky writing is Bones's doing). I felt the way Asura was finished was very stupid. I mean, seriously? One punch? With the explanation being that he can't handle her bravery? I mean, I would have been fine with the bravery angle if it was just something that tripped up Asura enough to allow Maka to beat him, but one punch? Rather forced. Also, lolmaka'srandomlyaweapon.

So yeah. Discuss Soul Eater! Oh yeah, and make sure your posts are symmetrical or else Kid'll start freaking out again.

L7n1DZG.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Soul Eater was the first anime I watched from start to end that wasn't Cardcaptor Sakura, I really love the characters and the music in the series, especially the opening by T.M. Revolution, it just gets you so hype for the show before it even starts. But the story is glorious, the characters are awesome with amazing personalities. It just is overall good. So go watch it if you haven't already!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OgIpcfOWKk 

• Thumbs Up 1

You win an internet for the topic title alone.

I've been following Soul Eater on Toonami for the past couple of months as it goes through its run. I was told about halfway into the show that the latter half of the anime is basically non-canon/practically pointless, so I feel kind of let down that I won't be able to properly enjoy the true story of the series without picking up the manga. 

That being said, I'll echo the distaste for Black Star; He's entirely too obnoxious for his own good (and I'm actually pretty surprised that he never gets jumped/collectively beaten up for being an all-around narcissist jerk).

• Thumbs Up 1

I love this show.

I always admire the drawing style, animation, concept, characters, plots, everything really. 

Granted I didn't like the anime ending either, but the manga ending............................... no comment. 

Anyway I can't wait to see the soul eater not anime. My only gripe is the art style looks a little more like a magical girl anime. I hope it gets an english dub. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember really loving Soul Eater when I first saw it, but... it's been over three years and I've seen a lot of other stuff in that time, haha. I'm curious as to whether or not I'd still enjoy it.

Anime sucks ass, god damn.

Meanwhile Soul Eater is one of my favorite manga. It has so much style and flair that doesn't translate over to the anime at all. I think I heard a rumor about Soul Eater getting a FMA style remake a while ago, but alas rumors or rumors.

Yeah I have to say while I loved part of the anime, the last part was just bleh....

The manga is awesome though.

Oh almost forgot the soundtrack, it's really good.biggrin.png  

Maaaaaan it´s been years since I watched the anime...six years exactly. Time sure flies...

I was so hooked when the anime was airing at that time, it was the shit. I read the manga too but I got bored with it after a few years. But yeah, Soul Eater was cool.

btw Soul Eater Not! Airs this Spring. It´s Soul Eater but with cute girls doing cute girls and i dunno, I´ve read a few chapters and seems cool, anything for a second season!

btw Soul Eater Not! Airs this Spring. It´s Soul Eater but with cute girls doing cute girls and i dunno, I´ve read a few chapters and seems cool, anything for a second season!

Ehhhhhhh....

From what I've read up on the premise and seen in the trailer, it really seems like a generic slice-of-like moe girls sort of deal, and even if it's well done I'm not into that genre to begin with. I mean Soul Eater had slice of life elements but it was not the focus by any means. I'm rather disappointed that that's how Soul Eater's getting continued, personally. 

Ehhhhhhh....

From what I've read up on the premise and seen in the trailer, it really seems like a generic slice-of-like moe girls sort of deal, and even if it's well done I'm not into that genre to begin with. I mean Soul Eater had slice of life elements but it was not the focus by any means. I'm rather disappointed that that's how Soul Eater's getting continued, personally. 

The manga had a proper ending. There is nothing to continue.

Soul Eater Not! is not Soul Eater. It is pantsu girls talk to eachother for 20 minutes, but set in the world of Soul Eater. Hence "Not!"

The manga had a proper ending. There is nothing to continue.

Well, the anime did completely diverge from the manga. They could theoretically make a SE Brotherhood type-deal and animate the manga's actual ending. Unless you were talking about the manga to being with? In which case I was talking about the anime.

Soul Eater Not! is not Soul Eater. It is pantsu girls talk to eachother for 20 minutes, but set in the world of Soul Eater. Hence "Not!"

Hence why I really don't care. 

Well, the anime did completely diverge from the manga. They could theoretically make a SE Brotherhood type-deal and animate the manga's actual ending. Unless you were talking about the manga to being with? In which case I was talking about the anime.

Well I don't personally like the anime, but that had an ending as well as the manga. There is nothing left to "continue". The sentence was confusing because of that. But nevermind then