Awoo.

HDTV recommendations for gaming?

Chaos Warp

I wasn't sure if I should put this in Chit-Chat or Computer Games but since it has to do with gaming I figured I'd put it in Computer Games. If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move and I apologize for the mis-placement.

So I will be soon acquiring a PS4, which needs a TV with an HDMI function to be plugged in. And I wanted to upgrade to an HDTV for the occasion. However, I've had bad luck in the past while buying HDTV's so I'd like to ask for some recommendation from SSMB in terms of what's good for gaming and stuff. In terms of what I need, I need:

-1080P full HD

-Size from 32 inches to 40 inches, can't go any bigger due to space limitations and also price limitations 

-Little to no ghosting/high speed motion blur/afterimages for high speed video/gaming

-Price no higher then 599 dollars. I'd prefer cheaper but if I have to spend this much for a good TV I'm willing

-A good enough response time for gaming, obviously. 

I know I need this stuff but I have no idea what TV will provide this and stuff. Is this even a reasonable request for an HDTV? Is this unrealistic? No? I really have no idea, I'm flying blind here, even with some of the knowledge I've acquired from some of my previous attempts. 

Thanks for your help!

I wish I had it on me, but since I moved it's still at home, but I have a 32 inch Sony that matches pretty much all of that. I got it like a few years ago when they were a tad more expensive for the size and it was still $449, so I think you're price range is more than reasonable. But yeah again, I wish I knew my exact model off the top of my head, but I guess Sony brand TVs haven't really ever failed me before and look great *shrugs*. They aren't a low tier brand of HDTVs which is probably what you want to avoid anyway.

Wish I could help more but hope that helps a little anyway dude XD

Recently, I bought http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-23L1350U-23-Inch-1080p-60Hz/dp/B00BNQS5BQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393174877&sr=8-1&keywords=Toshiba+23L1350U (Might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere other than Amazon, just used Amazon for convenience) This TV/Monitor for my PC. It's 1080p, 60hz, with like 5ms delay (which isn't gonna be noticeable), has three HDMI inputs, and even has Component, Composite, digital audio, VGA, audio inputs, is available from 23 inches to 58 inches big, and is pretty cheap considering all these features. However, I cannot tell you how good it actually is, because it hasn't arrived yet. But it's got pretty good reviews and price for the features, so I think it could suit your needs.

Edited by Shade Vortex

Get a biiiiiiiig one.

Cmon don't fail me.

Bigger than Jesus' dick.

Uh, at the very least try to get a 1080p TV with good upscaling options, as most games are around the 480-720p range. I don't really have much knowledge in this area, but as a fellow "wanting a new gaming TV" guy, a big name brand one seems like your best shot. Don't go a no name brand as the colors tend to be off/HDMI ports are crap. You can get alot of good stuff for $500 max, just google around and find a good tech forum.

If you want a TV, you're probably better off getting a BRAVIA. 

Go to hdtvtest.co.uk, they usually do comprehensive reviews, and they factor in gaming performance (which is to say latency).

If you want a monitor...well, things will be trickier. More brands available.

In the end, your budget makes the biggest difference.

To be perfectly frank, you seem to have narrowed down everything you want from a TV. What's stopping you from looking one up with those search specifications on a site like Newegg?

To be perfectly frank, you seem to have narrowed down everything you want from a TV. What's stopping you from looking one up with those search specifications on a site like Newegg?

Because I thought Newegg was only for computer stuff. 

Apparently not. 

Recently, I bought http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-23L1350U-23-Inch-1080p-60Hz/dp/B00BNQS5BQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393174877&sr=8-1&keywords=Toshiba+23L1350U (Might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere other than Amazon, just used Amazon for convenience) This TV/Monitor for my PC. It's 1080p, 60hz, with like 5ms delay (which isn't gonna be noticeable), has three HDMI inputs, and even has Component, Composite, digital audio, VGA, audio inputs, is available from 23 inches to 58 inches big, and is pretty cheap considering all these features. However, I cannot tell you how good it actually is, because it hasn't arrived yet. But it's got pretty good reviews and price for the features, so I think it could suit your needs.

Shade get back to us on this, looks like a good TV but make sure to run it through its rounds, test both classic and modern consoles on it & if it passes your test then I'll definately consider it.

Fan/Gamer perspective, feels different to get advice from people you know and trust then just reading specs and reviews that might be paid off and rolling the dice on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because I thought Newegg was only for computer stuff. 

Apparently not.

Ah.

Considering your price range and relatively basic demands I'd suggest looking for an LED TV since they have a pretty decent power draw. The sliders in this category can adjust to those parameters appropriately. A 1080p TV shouldn't be too hard to find really, but be sure to always read the general specifications accordingly. Try to go for something with a high refresh rate as well if you can.

Ah.

Considering your price range and relatively basic demands I'd suggest looking for an LED TV since they have a pretty decent power draw. The sliders in this category can adjust to those parameters appropriately. A 1080p TV shouldn't be too hard to find really, but be sure to always read the general specifications accordingly. Try to go for something with a high refresh rate as well if you can.

that slider is like a God send lol.

Personally, I use a AOC Envision 32in LCD HDTV but the refresh is only 60Hz and it's only 720p but there's no input lag. I bought it years ago though, idk if they even make it anymore. Yeah, it's most of been awhile because it doesn't seem to be available anymore for the most part, but for the price and the fact it's a brand I never hear of, it's a pretty decent budget HDTV if you can look past the crappy stand (I use to move my tv a lot for video game tournaments at my college and the stand use to make a violent cracking/pop noise but no noticeable damage seemed to be done)

Unless you plan on playing 3rd Strike at EVO on the thing, any TV with a game mode that turns the various post-processing effects off will more often than not be fine regarding input lag and motion blur. Some TVs are obviously better than others, there are definitely some stinkers, and TVs with lower inputting lag will probably have a better picture as a matter of course; but it's not 2008 anymore.

Unless you plan on playing 3rd Strike at EVO on the thing, any TV with a game mode that turns the various post-processing effects off will more often than not be fine regarding input lag and motion blur. Some TVs are obviously better than others, there are definitely some stinkers, and TVs with lower inputting lag will probably have a better picture as a matter of course; but it's not 2008 anymore.

So, why are 2 old street fighter games effected?

So, why are 2 old street fighter games effected?

I assume it's because Parrying took really Really REALLY precise timing and there can be no input lag. We once held a 3rd Strike tournament at my school and we made the mistake of hooking one set up to a HDTV when we were using a ps2.....even though it wasn't too noticeable, the players knew.

Also, on the topic of HDTV's....you should look into 3D tvs. Why you ask? Because some of them, like the LG my sister just bought, go on ridiculous sales because no one seems to be buying them (fad fading out?). She got like a 50+ in LG 3D HDTV for a little over $500 and it has a game mode. That thing....it's a sexy HDTV.

I assume it's because Parrying took really Really REALLY precise timing and there can be no input lag. We once held a 3rd Strike tournament at my school and we made the mistake of hooking one set up to a HDTV when we were using a ps2.....even though it wasn't too noticeable, the players knew.

Also, on the topic of HDTV's....you should look into 3D tvs. Why you ask? Because some of them, like the LG my sister just bought, go on ridiculous sales because no one seems to be buying them (fad fading out?). She got like a 50+ in LG 3D HDTV for a little over $500 and it has a game mode. That thing....it's a sexy HDTV.

I was actually looking into 3d TV's, but not because of 3d. More because the 3d requires them to have a 120HZ refresh rate: 60HZ for each eye on 3d mode, and just regular 120 when on 2d mode. I think 120HZ is pretty much a necessity for me at this point because coming off a CRT, I'm very intolerant of motion blur lol.  

I was actually looking into 3d TV's, but not because of 3d. More because the 3d requires them to have a 120HZ refresh rate: 60HZ for each eye on 3d mode, and just regular 120 when on 2d mode. 

yeah I would say go for some sort of 3DTV for the aforementioned reasons. You can always find them on some sort of sale online or at a local retailer like Wal-mart practically all the time. I believe that's where my sister bought hers (Wal-mart). I would just make sure it has some sort of "GAME mode" for the reasons Tornado mentioned. The LG my sister got has a game mode and i was playing UMvC3 on it with the game mode off then I turned it on and you can feel/see the difference.

It's funny that some HDTV's still have input lag issues for HD consoles these days.

Not all 3DTVs allow 120hz in 2d mode, as something to keep in mind. Mine doesn't.

Is there any way to check if the TV does this or not?

Shade get back to us on this, looks like a good TV but make sure to run it through its rounds, test both classic and modern consoles on it & if it passes your test then I'll definately consider it.

Well, you asked for it: So the default settings for this TV suck, but what I have it set to now seems great. Here's my settings:

Picture Mode: PC

Backlight: 90.

Contrast: 90.

Brightness: 30.

Color: 0.

Tint: 0.

Sharpness: -25.

Advanced Picture Settings:

ColorMaster: On.

Color Temp: Medium.

Static Gamma: 0.

DynaLight: Off.

Dynamic Contrast: Off.

Noise Reduction:  MPEG NR High, DNR High.

Edge Enhancer: On.

You'd have to do this with each of the input channels, as far as I can tell. And if the PC Picture mode isn't available to edit on any of the inputs, you can edit any of them. I just used PC for the main one as that's what I use the HDMI1 input for.

Oh yeah, and switching between component and composite video is a bit annoying, you have to go to the menu, go to options, input options, then switch the AV input from the Colorstream HD (Component) to Video (Composite). The quality's not the best with composite (I tested with my Wii, and it looked tolerable, but nocibly not as nice as it would on a SDTV), but whacha gonna do? SD isn't gonna look good on a 1080p display in most cases. My Wii U and GPU output look great on the monitor! Haven't tested Component Video yet, but I'm sure it'll look fine.

All in all, I'd say it was a worthwhile investment and I'd recommend this to anyone who wanted a monitor for the same reason as me: Console and PC Gaming in my room, and general computing as well as for recording purposes. But  to do recording (I have the Hauppauge Colossus capture card), I also got an HDMI splitter, two normal HDMI cabels, and a Mini HDMI to HDMI cable, plus I ordered a RCA to Line in cable to use with the monitor's Audio Out so I can listen to the TV's audio on my computer (thus through my headphones). On that note, the TV's speakers are alright, but I'd recommend that you invest in either the headphone option like I did, or get some external speakers if you wanted great audio.

Sony is a good brand if you value spending 30% more money than you need to.

Is there any way to check if the TV does this or not?

Reviews. Even customer reviews on Amazon tell you stuff like that. I bought mine knowing that, because the thing was insanely cheap (cheaper than the equivalent 2D models) when I bought it and I wasn't fussed about it so much as having 4 HDMI ports and Smart functionality.