Awoo.

Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom)

Sean

I loved Astro Boy quite a bit. Not really sure how I originally got into it (maybe through the GBA game and a little bit of 2003 anime on TV), but I was hooked. I might be the weird one here... But I like the 1963's Astro Boy anime the most. I do like the 1980's version and 2003 version, but I love the charm that the 1963's version has! When Adult Swim started to air episodes of it at 5:30AM, I would set up my VCR with a blank tape and record the episodes to enjoy once I wake up before school, or enjoy after school. Ah... Good times... As you go, go, go Astro Boy!  The 1963's anime isn't out of print yet! Rightstuf has licensed the anime and any fan (at least in North America) can buy the two giant box sets to obtain all 104 episodes in English dub!

That movie was actually pretty nice. I still remember going to the movie theater and watching it with my older cousin. Could of been a bit better, but for what it was worth at the end of the day, it's still something I would recommend watching for some enjoyment. 

Thank you so much for finding a place to read the manga, Sean! I only own the first two volumes of the manga, and it been years since my friend borrowed the manga from the library for me to read. smile.png

Also, to anyone reading, Astro Boy: Omega Factor (the GBA game) is seriously one of the greatest GBA games of all time! The game is just so great! As a kid playing it, it was nice to see all these random characters show up in the story (who I later started to slowly learn who they were as I got older), the overall story is great and I still cry sometimes in a few parts (though, I am quite an emotional person at times laugh.png ), but it's also the action in the game that makes it one of the best games ever. Upgrading Astro Boy attacks is quite great! ...I know I'm not really doing the game any justice right now by typing this all up, but it's just one of those games you really need to play to experience how great it is. wink.png ...I think I'll play my copy of the game soon again! laugh.png

The music was quite fantastic as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BsFGfoRaFo

So, yeah! Thanks for making this thread, Sean! Now we need tons of more people here to talk about the greatness of Astro Boy and whatnot! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be honest. My introduction to this serious was the 2009 movie. After that I watched /SOME/ of the Astro Boy anime, but not a lot. I'll have to do so.

Ah my mistake !! I took one look at the prices on Amazon and assumed they were out of print simply due to how high they were; I didn't expect that that was close to their actual retail price.

It's interesting that you like the 60s anime the most, it does have its unique charm to it that other versions lack. I have only seen a few episodes so I'd like to check out more just to see what it's like as a whole, preferrably after I finish reading the manga since a selling point of the 80s anime was that it was supposedly the more faithful adaptation, and I'd like to see what changes they made.

Ah my mistake !! I took one look at the prices on Amazon and assumed they were out of print simply due to how high they were; I didn't expect that that was close to their actual retail price.

It's interesting that you like the 60s anime the most, it does have its unique charm to it that other versions lack. I have only seen a few episodes so I'd like to check out more just to see what it's like as a whole, preferrably after I finish reading the manga since a selling point of the 80s anime was that it was supposedly the more faithful adaptation, and I'd like to see what changes they made.

Reason why I haven't bought them both yet is mostly because of the price they currently are at. laugh.png

That's pretty understandable! I still need to finish the manga, 80s version, and the modern version. After I finish the manga, I'll probably also end up watching the entirety of the 80s version to see how faithful it is and whatnot (though, I seen some episodes of the 80s version and enjoyed what I seen). 

...I just found out that Toonami used to show Astro Boy 60s version at one point... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_oiZoJ0_xY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CBuxwlR84

And while this one comes from Adult Swim, it's a classic one that I love to watch multiple times. laugh.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdZS_aHPOwM

And this one... This one is just a bit harsh since I use to watch this... sad.png Though, I'm glad they gave Astro Boy a marathon. tongue.png http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5XSChNNwoI

I LOVE Astro Boy. One of my favourite anime ever. <3

I was introduced to Astro with the 1980 version of the anime, but the 2003 remake is my favourite since it doesn't scrap the entire Humans vs Robots plot like the previous two.

The GBA game Omega Factor is fantastic, I poured many hours into that. But to this day I still haven't beaten it fully, because that last part is confusing. D: I love all the secrets you can find though, exploring the levels to find certain cameos was great fun.

The CGI film was...okay at best. I liked that it was basically a mash up of the 1980 and 2003 anime, while also trying to be it's own thing. However I didn't really like how Americanized it was and all the new characters they introduced.

Also does anyone remember the manga adaption of the 2003 anime? Atleast I think it was an adaption, the artstyle was similar. It was around in the early 2000's and had about 3-4 volumes, possibly more.

Also does anyone remember the manga adaption of the 2003 anime? Atleast I think it was an adaption, the artstyle was similar. It was around in the early 2000's and had about 3-4 volumes, possibly more.

While on my search for the original Astro Boy manga some time ago, I did come across that 2003 manga. 

I never read this before, but I have looked at a few pages. 

astro-boy-tetsuwan-atom-l0.jpg

The art at least looks nice from what I seen in the manga.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Sean, did you know Astro was getting a new show? 

as20140110002774_comm.jpg

Name: Robot Atom
Episodes: 8 green-lit so far

Airing: March 2014 in Nigeria

The 30-minute episodes are aimed at preschool children, and they follow the robot boy Atom as he embarks on adventures with his human and robot friends in a future town. Instead of defeating bad guys as an "ally of justice," the story will be more about an innocent child who makes mistakes from time to time.

Source: AnimeNewsNetwork

atom2.png

Curious question for the 2003 series. Where did you find the show in Japanese with subtitles? I can't find it anywhere, 

There's a torrent floating around with softsubs, just search for that and it's pretty easy to spot.

• 1 year later...

Teaser for a new Astro Boy series being developed by a French animation studio.

• Thumbs Up 9

Okay, I'm barely familiar with Astro Boy, but I don't care what they say, that trailer looks amazing! Like, I want this show...NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for my own exposure, though, I did enjoy the 2009 film, and I saw a few episodes of the 1960s and 2003 series. That's...about it, really. I do look forward to a way to finally get into it.

Hey Sean, did you know Astro was getting a new show? 

as20140110002774_comm.jpg

Name: Robot Atom

Episodes: 8 green-lit so far

Airing: March 2014 in Nigeria

The 30-minute episodes are aimed at preschool children, and they follow the robot boy Atom as he embarks on adventures with his human and robot friends in a future town. Instead of defeating bad guys as an "ally of justice," the story will be more about an innocent child who makes mistakes from time to time.

Source: AnimeNewsNetwork

atom2.png

I think I've seen this artwork before- this might be a sequel to a previous "Tezuka for children" show.

Also the french Astro cartoon is looking much better than the previous teaser images indicated- for one, his head isn't square

Also also, there's plans for a live action movie inspired by Iron Man.

No idea what to make of the live-action Astro Boy being a thing*. I'm expecting an aged-up Atom, as that's inevitable as far as foreign adaptations are concerned (the 2009 anime and this French cartoon), but I'm hoping whoever they cast to play him is positively adorable.

*Speaking of which, one major version of Tetsuwan Atom I neglected to mention in my OP is the live action 1959 TV series. It's one of the more obscure versions of the property out there, and it's notable for predating even the 1963 anime, but I don't know much about it and never have seen it for myself.

hmm new cartoon.. the only thing i've seen of astroboy was the 2003 anime, some gba game(which looked cool but the difficulty was a turnoff), and that 2009 movie.

If its gonna be a new series will it be on something like CN?

While on my search for the original Astro Boy manga some time ago, I did come across that 2003 manga. 

I never read this before, but I have looked at a few pages. 

astro-boy-tetsuwan-atom-l0.jpg

The art at least looks nice from what I seen in the manga.

Oh man, Akira Himekawa are the woman who did the Zelda manga series. Their art is pretty top notch and they're lovely people to chat with (it's not often you get manga artists who give permission to allow fan translations of their manga when a translation didn't exist at the time).

Astro Boy could really use some love and I'm all for this series by the French. I've heard the French have always been huge Tezuka fans and would do his work justice.

• 4 months later...

I like Astro Boy a lot. The movie got me into it. I saw episodes of all 3 versions of the cartoon and I own a volume of the manga. And since Sean didn't talk about the PS2 Astro Boy game, I might as well do it. 

Ps2 game  

Astro Boy released in 2004 worldwide to mixed reviews from the critics and the general player rating being just "okay". Like the 2003 anime, the western versions replaced some music tracks but a majority of them were left intact. 

JPN soundtrack: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9C3ACC1D8E796402 

Western Soundtrack: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjNtrGnm_DhjlD9nKFwqAnA2PD-fQ0km5 

Edited by Operationgamer17