Awoo.

Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure Or Sonic Colours ?

SuperBrandon

What is your favourite game out of the three best Sonic games on the Nintendo DS ? My favourite was Sonic Rush Adventure, it had a good storyline I enjoyed the races against Johnny, better bosses, graphics and it had good music. It's also one of my favourite Sonic Games.

Rush, is my second favourite simply because of the music was really catchy, the levels and the first game Blaze The Cat debuted in ! It was slightly overrated and I found it very easy and enjoyed it.

Sonic Colours DS aka Sonic Rush was fantastic. It was a bit hard but, I still enjoyed it especially Planet Wisp and Sweet Mountain which where superb levels, it had good music, had most of Sonic's friends in it. The special stages were decent too and the gameplay was quality. But, it was not as good as Rush Adventure and Rush for me.

I've been juggling the three of these games for the past month and I think they have their strengths and weaknesses, respectively.

One thing they all excel in is music and control. Since they use the same hardware and gameplay engine, there isn't too much variation. All three games sound good and control well.

Beyond that, I feel that Sonic Rush has the worst level design while Sonic Colors DS has the best. Sonic Rush Adventure on the other hand has the best sense of speed and has more variety with its minigames, but that can actually be a negative point for some, including myself. And Sonic Colors also has Wisps which are divisive, so that's another thing to take into account. And if you like to play as Blaze, you won't find it there. It's a mixed bag among the three.

I feel that Sonic Rush is probably the least impressive of the three, considering its cheap level design and unfair bosses, but even so it's still an honestly good experience throughout. You really can't go wrong with picking either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that Colours is my favourite of the three. I like the stage designs and the graphics, I also like how most of Sonic's friends have short cameos. However, it is a bit too short, I think I beat it in about two days. Rush is pretty fun too but I found it hard when I was a little younger and as for Rush Adventure, I haven't played it much as I don't own the game myself but it seems fun but Marine The Raccoon is just so annoying!

... Being honest, I never got past Altitude Limit... I had to use a save to get to Dead Line Zone.

ehem.

I'd say that I prefer Sonic Rush Adventure, it's the first Sonic DS game I played and beat. Albeit I accidentally the save and had to start all over again, haha.

I feel as though Rush as the best with Rush Adventure trailing shortly behind it. I loved Rush's OST, I loved the emerald sections for Sonic and the accessibility to the whole game for multiplayer. I love SRA because it has all the good points I mentioned for SR but also had online multiplayer.

If I were to point out a negative for Rush, it would be that local Multiplayer was laggy at times and the game slowed down a bit too much. Also, the sfx that went off when doing tricks could be ear raping at times and just overtake the music completely. Rush Adventure's OST wasn't as great (nor did it have the same composer?) but it made up for it with the superior multiplayer performance and online play. Yes, I played both games a LOT and a majority of it was multiplayer with my friends. Colors was good too, but I feel as though Rush and Rush Adventure stood out a bit more.

I really hope they bring them back for the VC when the Wii U starts to release DS games.

Sonic Rush was a good game, something I still search for from time to time in flea-markets. However, it contains one boss battle I'm not exactly a fan of. Seriously, Blaze VS Sonic is wonderful until you reach that one final health unit. WHY? Just WHY?

Rush Adventure was a mixed bag, actually. I like Whisker and I didn't find Marine that annoying. Also, I actually liked most levels, like Pirate Island. Good soundtrack, funny minigames between the levels, and funny interactions between the characters. The missions also helped making the game longer, something that the modern Sonic games seems to have a problem doing. But I know that collecting minerals to advance the story may be tedious.

Colors? I'm not a Wisp fan, so this may have clouded my judgement but...I found it pretty mediocre, game-wise. Not a bad game by any means, though. But the best parts were the interactions between the characters in the game. Not just Sonic-Tails bromance, which I actually got sick of towards the end of the game, but actual dialogue between Sonic & pals. That's what I want to see in a story. Not just lame puns and jokes.

So...my verdict? Sonic Rush is the best, but Rush Adventure is still a funfest. Colors is my favourite version between it and the Wii version, even though that's not saying much.

havent played any of them,

i had a ds but didnt bother getting them

i had sonic advance 1 and 2 for gameboy advanced

Is it worth buying generations 3ds as i have generations for ps3

I can't comment on Colors DS, but Rush vs. Rush Adventure?

RUSH ADVENTURE. Not even a contest.

I hate the first Sonic Rush. Naganuma's orgasmic soundtrack aside, everything else is blegh. A small point is the game's dreadful physics (which honestly, most Sonic games had at that time, and it wasn't trying to be classic so), the game's horribly dickish level design, often spammed with springs, boosters and most notably BOTTOMLESS PITS (yeah i'm looking at you, altitude limit).

The game also has a very boring and half-assed story in my opinion. Withdrawn person learns meaning of friendship and help-- That's... about all there is to it. Besides the usual "Eggman attempts to take over the world". And considering in Generations Blaze says "As much as I dislike relying on others", it seems all this canon was retconned anyway.

My last and largest problem with Sonic Rush are ITS GODDAMN BOSSES.

Sonic Rush's bosses are abysmal and easily the worst set in the series in my opinion. It consists of Tails/Cream's annoying soundbytes playing every time you hit or get hit "OH NO", "SANIK", "GO", "YOU CAN DO IT", blah blah blah and sections where the boss decides to go in the background and say "na-na-nana-na you can't hit me while I do these drawn out attacks tHAT CAN STILL HIT YOU".

If there's one thing I can say Sonic Rush did better than Rush Adventure, it's the soundtrack.

Don't get me wrong, I adore SRA's soundtrack, Plant Kingdom, Blizzard Peaks, Sky Babylon and the boss theme being my favourites, but there is no song in Rush I can find myself disliking (besides maybe Right There Ride On, but that's really exaggerating). Funk, rock, edginess and everything put into one soundtrack. It's so unique and the melodies and vocal licks are just such a joy to listen to every time.

In a nutshell, the above: Rush sucks, apart from the soundtrack and the Sonic v. Blaze fight. ...until you get to the button spamming part.

Sonic Rush Adventure revolves around a similar concept to Sonic Rush gameplay-wise except springs and speed boosters are a lot less common. Bottomless pits are only a chore in Sky Babylon (which is still a negative point, but at least it's not completely all over the place like in Rush. I recall a part in Dead Line where you had to do something exact or you fell in a pit). 

Story is a lot more interesting as well. We still have Blaze growing to the concept of working in a team, but not only that friendship bullshit, we learn of her fear of heights alongside Marine the Raccoon's dreams to be a captain, fear of ghosts, her hydrokinetic skills she uses to assist the others in the end of the story, alongside many other things. Plus, I actually like Marine. Yeah, I'm like one of the three people who like her that exist, I know.

Bosses? Holy cow, there had to be some staff switcharoo in this department, there had to be.

Compared to Sonic Rush's abysmal set of bosses, Sonic Rush Adventure has what is, to me, the best set of bosses this franchise has ever seen.

They don't do half assed "na na nana na you can't hit me", you don't have annoying soundbytes playing everytime you hit or get hit, these bosses require strategy. A perfect example is Machine Labyrinth's boss where you have to actually use physics (PHYSICS!??!?! IN MODERN SONIC!?!) to swing the balls up into the air and hit the top of the pendulum, eventually leading to you having to carefully but quickly do multiple balls. It fits Sonic, it's fast and you need to use reflexes. Plus, physics.

Tomoya Ohtani's soundtrack for Sonic Rush Adventure isn't as memorable as Hideki Naganuma's for the first Rush, but it's damn close. Plant Kingdom's "bwa bwa sue everybody body whoaaaaaaa", Blizzard Peaks' awesome guitars and Sky Babylon's beats get me every single time. Plus, boss music is best boss theme in the series.

• Thumbs Up 7

For me, Colors DS would be my least favorite of the three, and I still can't decide if I like Rush or Rush Adventure more just yet since I need to actually complete Rush Adventure. Now, don't get me wrong, I played a good amount of Rush, Rush Adventure, and Colors and all of them are great Sonic games that I would recommend to anyone. Just the problem is that Colors DS (to me) is a bit forgettable compared to the previous two Sonic games that came before it. Colors DS lacks the comedy that I enjoyed in the Wii version, the music is still great at least, but it certainly can't top Rush funky soundtrack or Rush Adventure soundtrack (and I prefer how the music sounds in the Wii version), and it's overall just something I probably wouldn't go back and play too much compared to Rush and Rush Adventure. I will give Colors DS credit with having a bunch of other Sonic characters showing up in the game to give Sonic missions (the Silver and Blaze moment was quite nice), but that's about it. 

Anyways... Rush soundtrack really does blow Rush Adventure soundtrack away. I listened to quite a good amount of songs from Rush Adventure, and while they are great (Haunted Ship, Coral Cave, Blizzard Peaks, and Plant Kingdom come to mind quickly) none of them can just top the music in Rush (Wrapped in Black, Vela Nova, Back 2 Back, etc.)

So far, I am enjoying Rush Adventure to be quite nice, but since I haven't finished it yet, I can't fully compare it to Rush story. As for my thoughts on Rush story? It was quite nice. I liked the situation being that Sonic and Blaze worlds were starting to merge together, and with Dr. Eggman and Dr. Nega were working together, Sonic and Blaze had to deal with both, Rush was also Blaze introduction game and I believe it was a great introduction to a great character who has became one of my favorites in the series. Blaze overall was a great character from the start with being a princess/guardian of the SOL Emeralds in her world, and she has the ability to control fire, though she consider who powers to be a "curse". Now, with her being the guardian of the SOL Emeralds, this led to her isolating herself from others in her own world, which led to her always working alone, never accepting any help from anyone, and just carrying the protection of her own world on her shoulders. With all that in mind, and seeing Dr. Eggman and Dr. Eggman Nega teaming up together, this made for great development for Blaze. She would chase after Dr. Eggman to get her SOL Emeralds back to protect her world, but she also was followed by friendly child Cream. Then things really start to heat up when she fight against Sonic and start to exchange words with him.

Blaze: "I said I would defeat him! (Note: 

Blaze's story only)

Sonic: "Stop it, this isn't going to change anything!"

Blaze: "What do you know? I am the guardian of the Sol Emeralds... It is a fate that forces me to live with my curse, my flames... Because of my powers, I have always been alone... It's also why I must do this alone! It is my responsibility!"

Sonic: "I admire you fortitude, but... Carrying the entire world on your shoulders?"

Sonic: "A bit overzealous, aren't we? (But it seems like she's had a rough past.) Hey, don't bite off more than you can chew. And be yourself. Don't need to do everything on your own."

Yeah... I really like Rush story and the things that go in in the story. 

As for gameplay/levels, Rush and Rush Adventure pretty much play the same, so yeah. Though, I found Rush to have some nice levels, but there were quite the bottomless pits in the levels, and there were times when you're locked in a room and force to fight enemies until you're allowed to leave and continue the level. These parts in Rush aren't the greatest, but the levels are still overall fun. Leaf Storm and Night Carnival are my favorites. Rush Adventure levels so far have been really fun and I like mostly how I'm not stuck in any room and forced to fight enemies to advance. 

But bleah. Anyways, thoughs are my thoughts. Colors DS isn't as memorable as the two mentioned games, Rush has the overall better soundtrack, I love Rush story and Blaze, but I am enjoying some of Rush Adventure story so far, and Rush Adventure has some improvements in the levels that I like, but I need to completely play all levels in the game before I decide if I like Rush or Rush Adventure levels more. 

I like Sonic Colors DS more. Because it focus more on Sonic and Tails and Eggman more and the little wisps were fun and added to the game play. Plus the story was very simple yet it has out there gameplay. This game with Sonic 4 make me like 2D games some more.

I like Sonic Rush series. I like the boost and the music but the stages were horrible and the new character killed it. :(

I went back and replayed Rush and Rush Adventure a while ago.  Rush hasn't aged well.  Rush Adventure?  Better.  It helped that it was my favourite anyway, though.

I think my favourite points about Rush Adventure have already been stated, so I won't bother repeating them - I'll just say that its diverse bosses and non-standard level tropes were absolute winners for me.  If it had just lost the ship and the sub and reskinned the jetski to look like Sonic running across a broader landscape jumping over obstacles to find new areas, then it would've been perfect... and I'm still annoyed that they never did a third Sonic Rush to build on that idea.

Good god Rush, it's not even close to anything else.

The boating nonsense in Rush was stupid and I never beat the game because of it. Getting materials was an extremely annoying way to artificially extent game length, and actually driving the fucking things was boring as hell. Blegh.

Colors DS was just shit through and through. I beat Tropical Resort and never touched it again. I thought it'd be fun since I loved the hell out of the Wii version but god it sucks so bad. Taking out tricks just makes the whole game dreadfully boring, the music was piss-awful, and the art somehow got a downgrade.

Rush is the best by far.

• Thumbs Up 3

everybody knows Jeneraeshans tree dee ess is the best of the handheld boost gaems guise!

Serious though, although it seems to be an unpopular opinion, I think I like Colors DS the most out of all these just because of the added mechanics that weren't in the past Rush games such as the wall jump, air boost, air dash, and the homing attack (at least one that actually works) and as per usual, I didn't mind the wisps. That and it felt like the level design was a bit more clean and platforming oriented than the other two.

I do like the story more in Rush Adventure though, despite how pointless I think Marine is. The level design is still very speed oriented but it is less of a clusterfuck than Rush. I also liked all those mini side missions, most of which were optional and being able to switch between Sonic and Blaze whenever and wherever was a nice touch.

Rush is good too but the weakest of the 3, and them trying to do the whole Sonic Adventure style intertwining stories felt a bit redundant since both Sonic and Blaze's levels were exactly the same.

I've been juggling the three of these games for the past month and I think they have their strengths and weaknesses, respectively.

One thing they all excel in is music and control. Since they use the same hardware and gameplay engine, there isn't too much variation. All three games sound good and control well.

This.

Sonic Rush was Sonic's first game on the DS. That's its only excuse for me as for why Rush Adventure and Colors DS are better, since they improve upon what Rush started.

I enjoyed Rush Adventure's exploration of Blaze's world, facing off against Johnny to get Chaos Emeralds, racing in Multiplayer, and completing Missions to make Southern Island look a little more stylish.

For awhile I didn't try Sonic Colors DS because I thought the Wii Version was better. However, I found myself wishing that the Wii Version had elements from the DS Version. The story leaves out all of the jokes in the Wii Version, the game actually makes an effort to introduce the Wisps to you and them a background, both regular and extra endings were enjoyable, Missions were more rewarding, and the Red Star Rings were harder to find.

You're asking me to choose between Rush, Rush with worse graphics and sound and Rush with awful graphics and sound? Not exactly a tough call.

I do like both Rush and SRA. Whatever flaws they may have, they're still good games with fun soundtracks. I'd only pick Rush as the winner because SRA was too much of the same, only a bit worse. Difficulty was dialled back too much, and the visuals nosedived for absolutely no reason. However, it's probably the only Sonic game where I think "oh I fancy fighting that boss again". The boating stuff needn't have been what it was though. The water bike was pretty great. The battleship, hovercraft and submarines were huge bores though, as was the whole idea about collecting materials.

Colours DS wasn't awful. In many ways I even think it's better than the Wii game. It just had some ear-haemorrhaging music and was overall cheap and nasty feeling. I don't think visuals have ever been so lazy and flat in a Sonic game. But the core level design was mostly really fun. Of all the games that use Wisps, Colours DS easily does them best. One big thing I noticed though is that the rapid button mashing of Rush and SRA along with their pumping soundtracks really added to the enjoyment. With both taken out of the Colours equation, the game was significantly less exciting even if the level design very similar otherwise.

Rush though was just the best though no questions asked. It was really fresh new experience at the time. Cheap? Sure it was sometimes. But I can't lament it for that when it was still exceedingly fun. Wonky physics be damned!

No seriously, SRA and SCDS are bloody hideous at the worst of times.

Starlight_Carnival_DS.pngSRA007.jpgSonic-Colours-DS-Planet-Wisp-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I like all three of them, but if I had to pick one, Rush Adventure is the best. It had, in my opinion, a better story, more things to do, and better design than the other two.

• Thumbs Up 1

Easy, Rush Adventure, Colors DS and Rush!

As I have stated in the Sonic opinions topic, Rush Adventure has more content than Rush did. While Rush did have better music, everything else about it is rather mediocre, from the boss to the story to the level design. Rush Adventure felt like a more "complete" game to me, had a overall better story, I don't get the hate on Marine, had better level design and bosses. Getting the emeralds was unique, like getting Sol Emeralds from missions and racing Johnny (no, not somecallmeJohnny) to get The Chaos Emeralds and the missions added much more replay value to the game. I didn't remember having a difficult time getting Materials but getting dem S Ranks were pretty hard to do.

Colors DS is a much more fun game to play than the Wii version, to me at least. The Wii version had some very slow and traditional platforming, screw those yellow spring stages though. The wisps in that version were average at best. Hover was slow, Cube was unnecessary, Spikes was alright and Frenzy was sort of uncontrollable but I digress. I liked the wisps in the DS version, it's so much fun to see the amount of destruction you do with the Void and Burst Color Powers. I like the DS interpretation of the story due to not having a lot of bad jokes that the Wii version had, nice to see the entire cast in the game (though Blaze and, somewhat, Silver weren't needed) but I think it was to show off the voices even though Free Riders already did that, but its story and dialogue sucked. Bosses were more interesting and finishing the bosses off with the Color Powers is very rewarding ( dat Void sucking up Skullian though).

So that's my part!

Sonic Rush Adventure is the best.

Sonic Rush was full of bottomless pits (average of 300 per a level - yes I made this up) and had tons of those "KILL THE ENEMY TO OPEN THE ROOM!!!" from Sonic Heroes. Ew

Sonic Rush Adventure is the best.

Sonic Rush was full of bottomless pits (average of 300 per a level - yes I made this up) and had tons of those "KILL THE ENEMY TO OPEN THE ROOM!!!" from Sonic Heroes. Ew

Mirage Road only, repeated much more sporadically in Dead Line. It hardly had tons of them. 

I enjoy Rush for it having good visuals and straight to the point level design.  I find myself coming back to it the most, and I feel it has the best game feel of the three.  However the bosses are bullshit due to their length and insta-death attacks and there is a HELL of a lot of cheap difficulty that still catches me out after all these years.

I adore the Special Stages though, they're really fun.

Rush Adventure is what I'd call objectively the best.  I completely agree with Blue Blood's comments about the graphics taking a nose-dive though.  The backgrounds and settings are good but it's all so cheap and tacky looking in the foreground.  The waterbike is great fun but the other vehicles are not.  It has a huge bunch of levels though so you get your money's worth for regular gameplay.

But the bosses oh man.  SRA has such AMAZING bosses.  Machine Labyrinth and Big Swell are literally my fave bosses in the entire franchise they're just so much fun.  This one has a great soundtrack too, aside from Pirate's Island which just was too upbeat for the final level music IMO.  Dead Line from SR was upbeat but "cool" sounding, this was just "happy", and did not reflect the visuals of a secret underground pirate city at all.

Colours DS I play semi-often.  The level designs are okay but there's only 12 of them, Planet Wisp has too much drill and Asteroid Coaster has too much bullshit.  The bosses are also pretty bad in this one, with the exception of Nega Wisp Armor which despite being less visually cool than the Wii version and pretty short/easy, was much more interesting to fight.

However Colours DS saving grace is the stupidly fun special stages I absolutely love them.  Bringing back the SR style with a twist was awesome to me, and I'd love to see this concept expanded of doing "laps" through a stage where messing up on an earlier one can make a later one harder, but also the success of later ones can depend on remembering patterns from an earlier one.

I love the touch screen controls for the Special Stages/Waterbike though and if only there wasn't a disconnect due to controlling on touch screen and displaying on 3D screen with the 3DS if you wanted to have widescreen/3D visuals, I'd hope for a new touch controlled on-rails styled Storybook game on 3DS.

Mirage Road only, repeated much more sporadically in Dead Line. It hardly had tons of them. 

Huge Crisis had them too, though they were actually fun to me in that due to the moving platforms/pistons usually making it more of a challenge to find your way to every enemy rather than just killing four egg pawns and waiting for the hammer wielding guy to appear and sloooowly take his three hits.

Rush Adventure for the depth, variety, and interesting levels. There's also a lot to keep coming back to.

I find RUsh 1 bland if I'm honest, and Colours DS isn't terrible but it feels very half-baked.