Awoo.

bcdcdude

Naturally I approve of this news.

I was almost positive Crush 40 had faded into obscurity and rarely did more than appeal to nostalgia at SEGA events. So this makes me happy!

Now I can't help but wonder if there's a slim chance one of those new songs made it into Sonic Boom. I mean, we've gone 5 years without a Crush 40 original contribution to the franchise. If SEGA plans on keeping them around it would make sense to let them make a theme again...

• Thumbs Up 7

This is great news! I've been waiting for some more of the Jun-Johnny combo I love and this leaves me very excited. Like Ogilvie, I hope something makes it into Boom.

I really just want Crush 40 to be relevant again to the Sonic fandom. They more or less seem to just be brought in as a token of appreciation to long-term fans. If Boom brings in as much new blood as anticipated, I'd like the newer generation to appreciate Crush 40 as much as a lot of the older fanbase do.

• Thumbs Up 3

With all those pointless questions made at Sonic Boom and at SoS, nobody asked Iizuka if there were any plans to bring back the Crush 40. These guys need more love.

• Thumbs Up 1

With all those pointless questions made at Sonic Boom and at SoS, nobody asked Iizuka if there were any plans to bring back the Crush 40. These guys need more love.

I... actually never thought of that. It makes me even more annoyed at the QnA sessions, actually.

I mean the longest gap Crush 40's had between games was only 3 years if I recall (between 06 and Black Knight)... so I really hope this was just an extended gap courtesy of Generations kind of borking the need for an actual theme. We can remain hopeful they'll make a comeback soon!

I'd want the newer fans to appreciate Crush40 as well. Pretty much love almost all of what they've produced for the Sonic series, and listening to them live [second hand through a video but it still counts, right?] is just great, so if newer fans could get a taste of what they do in a new part of the Sonic universe, that would be awesome. And considering I've been considering what they could have been doing the past few years [what with only the four songs released on that one EP sometime after Generations' release], this pleases me, since I'd been afraid that, like most other had been, they had faded into obscurity.

I'm totally up for some new Crush 40 material. I thought their last EP - "Sonic Youth", "Rise Again", "One of Those Days" - was really excellent stuff and, Sonic related or not, I thoroughly enjoy listening to their tunes. Johnny and Jun make a great duo and, especially having been in the crowd for two of their Summer of Sonic gigs now, I get a real sense of excitement whenever I hear them play.

I doubt any Crush 40 songs will make it into Boom, as sad a fact as that may be. I think they're going a whole new direction with that branch of the franchise, which probably means no Chaos Emeralds, no flesh coloured arms, and no Crush 40. Doesn't mean it'll stop me from listening to the Crush 40 version of "Sonic Boom" on an endless loop when the game comes out though! :P

And hooray, Johnny and I have the same favourite flavour of ice cream! Mint choc chip for the win!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oooh yeah, I was begging for some more new Crush 40 stuff, and honestly, I don't care if the Sonic franchise has forgotten, I just hope they give us original stuff, because it's superb.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

It feels like ages since I've heard Crush 40 make some new songs. This is the best news I've heard all day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aww yeah, more Crush 40! <3

Say what you will about their songs being mostly cheesy rock ballads, they're so full of energy and I love listening to them. Some of their original songs are great too like Revvin' Up and Into the Wind. Also saw them live at SoS '10 and they were amaaaazing!

Definitely looking forward to this new EP and I hope there's lots of new songs on there! Now if only they could do a new Sonic theme...

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering how Western-influenced Crush 40 can be, I won't be too surprised if some of their works, new and old, pop up in Boom.

Best news I could think of. Love the guys, their work is magnificent. The last EP had on of my faves on it, One of those Days, meaning they have a lot to top!

Woo! My day's off to a fantastic start already thanks to news like this! biggrin.png I love Crush 40 and their music, and I was thinking they wouldn't make any new songs because they haven't made one in a while and they haven't been in a Sonic game since Sonic and the Black Knight. So, this makes me really happy! I really enjoy their original non-Sonic related songs like the ones they made in 2012. Hopefully this year we'll get more awesome original songs from them! 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's good to hear these guys are finally coming out with a new EP. I've really missed them over the years.

Probably the best news ive heard all day, I was starting to really miss crush 40.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still optimistic that despite Boom's new direction, they'd be willing to involve Crush 40 for at least one song. They're the iconic band of the Sonic franchise, having made music more or less continuously from Sonic Adventure to Sonic and the Black Knight. That's about a decade right there.

If they don't bring Crush 40 back for actual game work here soon, they're going to increasingly fade from relevance and just be that token of appreciation for older fans that they've been becoming lately.

I really want younger generations to grow up loving Crush 40 as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it wasn't for Crush 40, I never would've gotten into Johnny's other bands Hardline and Axel Rudi Pell. Because i'm a fan of those bands also, it never occured to me that C40 haven't done any Sonic music for quite some time. That's not really a bad thing if you ask me because you're limiting yourself in a way. I really enjoy their newer non-Sonic material as it allows for more scope.

Still, whatever happens, I don't think back in the days of SA1 & 2 that we would still be getting music over 10 years later. That's a testament to Johnny and Jun's friendship right there.

It's great to hear that Crush 40 is going to make another EP! But something tells me it might not be Sonic related though. But it's great to hear nonetheless!

It probably will be non-Sonic; a lot of their newer songs really do come off as trying to rebrand themselves as something besides "the Sonic guys."

I hope at least one song in there is Sonic-related, however.

It probably will be non-Sonic; a lot of their newer songs really do come off as trying to rebrand themselves as something besides "the Sonic guys."

I hope at least one song in there is Sonic-related, however.

Yeah, I mean Sonic Youth may have not been an actual Sonic song but it does pay honor to the the franchise by making references to the songs they did for the series. I hope there might be something like that in this EP as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Oooo, very much liking this! Looking forward to the finished song.

This would be a PERFECT song if Summer of Sonic or Sonic Boom decided to become a two-day event this year... tongue.png