Awoo.

Sonic Boom Behind the Scenes "I'm having a party!"

Badnik Mechanic

Indeed, I noticed how they've yet to mention her infatuation with Sonic. If it's true that they've nixed that part of her character, I won't be sure how to feel.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic was the one with a thing for Amy in this one. Either way, it feels kind of...off.

...there's a better word for this, but I can't put my finger on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I noticed that there was a little snippet of gameplay where the characters were running together like in the trailer, but I noticed that they were tilting around a little bit. Nt sure whether this means it's auto run, or manual.

Indeed, I noticed how they've yet to mention her infatuation with Sonic. If it's true that they've nixed that part of her character, I won't be sure how to feel.

Go back to 5:48 in the video and look at how "girly" her running animation is. They may be ditched the whole infatuation aspect of it (or at least dialled is back considerably), but she's probably not too serious. Pus she's still got the same very girly voice as before, rather than something a bit more mature.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic was the one with a thing for Amy in this one. Either way, it feels kind of...off.

More like a term : "Bait and Switch".
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I'm really divided on Amy.

On the one hand, she's awesome now!

On the other, I never thought she was a bad character.  I thought SA1 did a fantastic job showing how she could be a contributive and well-written female character without necessarily having to be the strong, fighter type.  I'd hate to see that gone by the wayside.

Still, everything else -- barring Knuckles' design but that's a moot point by now -- is all looking awesome!  Love the dialogue here!

creamy, creamy frosting

• Thumbs Up 4

I kinda wonder if it's more like they aren't defining her by her crush, which is fine by me. And it's not like that approach would be new either (Archie!Amy still has her crush on Sonic, for example, but it's not her only quality and she's shown to be a very competent fighter regardless of whether Sonic is around or not).

It's also great seeing the actors all together, and the scene they were recording had me laughing, that's a good sign in my book. I am worried Knuckles is going to be reduced to being an idiot, though... but Willingham sounds like he's having a ton of fun in the booth.

I think that'll sell it. If Knux is gonna be goofy, then Travis should really get to have some fun.

One thing I'm noticing is how they're hyping up how the video game is story-based and it seems like it's practically everything most fans have been wanting for a while now... I sincerely hope Sonic Team plans on bringing that approach back to their own side of the brand.

You and me both. It would be nice to see Modern Sonic stories and gameplay become more integrated again. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Go back to 5:48 in the video and look at how "girly" her running animation is. They may be ditched the whole infatuation aspect of it (or at least dialled is back considerably), but she's probably not too serious. Pus she's still got the same very girly voice as before, rather than something a bit more mature.

Well, I wasn't concluding that she had become too serious or mature, rather that they may have simply dialed back or completely eliminated that part of her character. Regardless of what else they change about her or how more or less girly she is, the status of her crush is still hovering in the air, and as I said I'm not too sure how I'd feel about that not being a big motivator for her anymore if it's true. Like, it's almost not Amy if she isn't swooning. xD

• Thumbs Up 2

IS NO ONE SERIOUSLY GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFORMATION ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW?!

Series is saved go home everyone

Orbot was best in Unleashed as SA-55. Colours changed his character into something totally different, and introduced Cubot who I'm not really sold on. In Lost World it was very much a case of "why are they here?". Dunno... I'm not really a fan of theirs, but if anything they should be decent in this.

Well, I wasn't concluding that she had become too serious or mature, rather that they may have simply dialed back or completely eliminated that part of her character. Regardless of what else they change about her or how more or less girly she is, the status of her crush is still hovering in the air, and as I said I'm not too sure how I'd feel about that not being a big motivator for her anymore if it's true. Like, it's almost not Amy if she isn't swooning. xD

I'm just using it as an example of "we can't say for sure yet". Thing is, if they are supposed to be hanging out with each other almost constantly as friends, that kind of character relationship has to be pushed way into the background. For it to be like it is in the games would be overbearing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Based on the snippets of show dialogue and the ideaof a story driven game emphasizing each characters strengths, Sonic Boom is looking to be potentially the best thing to happen to the Sonic series in years.

I'm really hoping the alternate dimension thing means we'll be seeing an episode with lots of archie style alternate designs. Maybe there's a doughnut knuckles or something to explain the creamy filling :P

I'm getting seriously hyped for this now...

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic was the one with a thing for Amy in this one.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind seeing an episode where Sonic is the one trying to return affections, simply because any romantic inclinations a modern incarnation of the character would have towards anyone has never been elaborated upon ever, so it's an aspect of his personality that's pretty much in the dark. Besides, I think it'd be very cute to see. <3

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh wow, that art was beautiful. This is probably the first time in 5 or 6 years that I'm actually interested in a Sonic game... (and its not a main series game, go figure).

Edit: Pfft, what if it's Sonic doing the chasing/impressing.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind seeing an episode where Sonic is the one trying to return affections, simply because any romantic inclinations a modern incarnation of the character would have towards anyone has never been elaborated upon ever, so it's an aspect of his personality that's pretty much in the dark. Besides, I think it'd be very cute to see. <3

Didn't Sonic X lightly touch upon this? I remember that final scene from episode 52 (JPN version) quite well. I think 4Kids shoehorned in an "I love you, Amy" in the dub when it was a silent scene with a cute song playing in the background in the original, but I think even the Japanese tried to get that across (in a less blatant way).

As for Knuckles, I'm not sure what to think, but he doesn't seem to be so much a dufus here as much as he just has a genuine sense of humor, which is a nice middle ground between SA1 and modern Knuckles.

True. In either case, Willingham's performance sells it, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for in the character. It's just genuinely funny! I'd have to see more, and if Boom!Knuckles is just more lighthearted without being the all-talk-no-action dumbass SEGA's reduced him to in the games, I can live with it.

I don't see it happening on it's own, but I could see Eggman building something to make Sonic be on his side, but it malfunctions and makes Sonic fall in love with Amy.

well Knuckles still sounds very much like a doofus, on the bright side, his voice actor seems to have improved

Didn't Sonic X lightly touch upon this? I remember that final scene from episode 52 (JPN version) quite well. I think 4Kids shoehorned in an "I love you, Amy" in the dub when it was a silent scene with a cute song playing in the background in the original, but I think even the Japanese tried to get that across (in a less blatant way).

They briefly tried to canonize SonAmy, yes.  But it was never an instance of role reversal. ^^

True. In either case, Willingham's performance sells it, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for in the character. It's just genuinely funny! I'd have to see more, and if Boom!Knuckles is just more lighthearted without being the all-talk-no-action dumbass SEGA's reduced him to in the games, I can live with it.

100% agreed.  Not to say Dan was horrible, but his performance (and Travis' Free Riders and Generations performances) really didn't sell me on the character and certainly didn't let the more humorous Knuckles shine through.  He sounds pretty great in this.  More determined with a cheesy dialect.  That's always great.  Always.

• Thumbs Up 2

The idea that Knuckles will have an episode where he runs for mayor as well as an episode where we find alternate dimension Knuckles' is just so surreal that I can't help but laugh my head off at the concept. It's perfect.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll be the first to say I'm going to wait to hear Knuckles's lines in context before writing it off as "lol, dumb muscle like usual."

I mean, it brought a slight smile to my face at least. That's something...right?

*A-hem* But that aside, this does make me more excited for the show than the game itself honestly.

• Thumbs Up 4