Awoo.

Sonic Boom Behind the Scenes "I'm having a party!"

Badnik Mechanic

Like Akito, I really hope that if Sonic Boom becomes a success SEGA sees this and implements parts of the game into their main series. It's not right to have one series that has all the great stuff we've wanted for YEARS (proper story, proper characterisation etc) and then leave the other game with all the lame stuff they've been doing since Colours.

And honestly I have low expectations on SEGA!Sonic's next game. I know it's been in development since 2011 but Generations was in the making for years too and while it was good it was certainly not worthy of taking 3 years to develop!

• Thumbs Up 2

Seriously though, the fact that they're focusing so hard on how they're making an 'action-adventure' based game with extra focus on story and characters, plus Iizuka stating that that's what it's doing, sounds really foreboding for the main series. It's literally like they just took what they found in the complaint box and then pushed it somewhere else. :\

I'm glad the game looks slightly better with each shot though, and the cartoon just keeps sounding better.

A Sonic action-adventure game with a big story isn't a bad thing. A Sonic action-adventure game with a big story that's incredibly badly written is though.

A Sonic game with any kind of story that's badly written is a bad thing, which is why I'm biting my nails over the main series' next outing if they're just going to continue that same direction.

• Thumbs Up 3

A Sonic action-adventure game with a big story isn't a bad thing. A Sonic action-adventure game with a big story that's incredibly badly written is though.

I think Azookara's complaints are more because Sonic Team themselves aren't addressing these issues, and it's a whole other developer that's picking up their slack in terms of characterization and stories.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Boom looks like it's gonna be pretty good and well-efforted (especially in the mentioned departments), but it's not what I look for in a Sonic game because it's not trying to be; it's its own thing. So why should I be happy with those elements being fixed in something that's not even trying to be a traditional title? :v

I don't really have a problem with the games staying in the "arcade platformer" style (absolutely not!) but the idea that they'll probably just keep doing what they've been doing and just keep making shoestring stories, characters and extra content is just... ugh, that blows.

If that happens, I may just shift my interest away from the main series and focus entirely on Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's exactly what I'm saying. Boom looks like it's gonna be pretty good and well-efforted (especially in the mentioned departments), but it's not what I look for in a Sonic game because it's not trying to be; it's its own thing. So why should I be happy with those elements being fixed in something that's not even trying to be a traditional title? :v

Okay, I can understand that fine.  But I still think that if this comes out successful, then they can still adapt some of the changes and fixes to the main series as well.  If anything, I see this more as a strange experiment where "if it fails, at least it's not a main title so it looks less bad by comparison."  Not incredibly smart, mind you, but that might be the mindset they're going for.

I think this will be the interesting aspect of Boom. Will it be the "Sonic" fans have been hoping for since adventure, and if it is, what does that mean for the main series? 

It is sad though when Izuka is like "Boom will be the one with action and character, Modern sonic will keep doing it's own thang" - part of me hopes Big Red Button absolutely hits it out of the ballpark so Sonic Team is pretty much made to address these issues with the Modern side. But who knows. Boom could still turn out to be half-baked, but I feel like all the same, Boom has at least done something Sonic Team really failed to do in the last 2-3 years, and thats getting the fandom excited again

I'm probably still going to enjoy both for what they are.

Ditto. I'm in this through to the end!

http://youtu.be/7Sn9h6iPC-o

"You can call me Buffles, unlike Sawnik I have whipped cream filling..."

Wonder why Kate Higgins left though...

Boom has at least done something Sonic Team really failed to do in the last 2-3 years, and thats getting the fandom excited again

Lost World got the fandom excited....just not in a very good way....

That documentary was pretty nice actually, its nice to see how much effort the developers are putting into the game and seeing the VA's having fun together put a smile on my face.

Normally, I'd be as worried about the main series too, but unless the next game is really amazing, I honestly have no reason to care. Sonic Boom is doing almost everything I've wanted out of the series for ages and that just makes me disappointed that Sonic Team had to outsource to another developer for it to actually happen.

But yea, bring on the Boom.

Hmm, I'm sensing witty sarcasm from Knuckles' lines. Well, all the more the mitigate my fears of a dumb Knuckles! Good job Travis Willingham!biggrin.png

That video made me really happy with how Sonic Boom is going :).

The show part looks excellent, with the dialog being very Sonic Colors-esc and the fact that the voice actors are having so much fun with their roles now really makes me happy (I will admit though, I started laughing when I heard Amy and Tails voices coming out of real people....the sight of it just killed me laugh.png). Seeing that the people behind the show look to be making the show have good writing also makes things better to know :).

The game part....where do I begin? Seeing Big Red Button developers and the show producers show talk about their love for the Sonic franchise was very nice to see, making us know that they do care about the Sonic brand and not just doing it to get it over with. The games art looks amazing; large vistas, really great color, and very Crash-esc facial expressions really impressed me. The little snippets of gameplay shown does look interesting, as we now know that the characters walking speeds are very Jak-like, (at least in the hub world) all the characters follow the 'leader' character ala Sonic Heroes and that the running sections have some level of control to them rather than them being auto-controlled.

I am just very happy with how Boom is coming along and can't wait to see both more gameplay of the Wii U/3ds version and some more clips of the show (Knuckles and Eggman already look to be the comedic highlights of the show; dat sarcasm from Knuckles man :)).

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a very simple theory on why Kate Higgins was kicked.

Money. SEGA is all about the money. Roger Craig Smith doesn't get paid much. They asked Ryan Drummond to quit his union (which tends to equate to lower wages). Then you have the fact the 4Kids voices were most likely cheaper than the originals given they already had plenty of other gigs.

Perhaps there was some sort of personal issue that came up; as I remember Dan Green didn't re-audition for Knuckles because his wife had died shortly prior to the voice switch, so he wasn't exactly in the best condition. However, money certainly fits SEGA as a motive based on past history, their status as a for-profit organization aside.

NOW! Onto the actual video itself.

I believe I've said most of my thoughts, but with regards to the Amy debate... this might be controversial but...

I'm happy if they got rid of her swooning over Sonic characteristic. Amy comes across as a caricature of a fangirl. Making her actually be an independent young woman who's perfectly fine with being single is an improvement, I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe I've said most of my thoughts, but with regards to the Amy debate... this might be controversial but...

I'm happy if they got rid of her swooning over Sonic characteristic. Amy comes across as a caricature of a fangirl. Making her actually be an independent young woman who's perfectly fine with being single is an improvement, I think.

I agree with this, except I hope they don't remove her affection for Sonic completely.

My concern that the Sonic Boom cartoon having the Sonic Colors/Lost World-esque humor is much more stronger than ever after watching this video. The humor in those two games were hit or miss for me (mostly miss) so after hearing Knuckles saying something about whipped cream and Sonic's sarcastic heavy banter with Eggman does not bode well for me if that is what the humor will be like in the show. Of course it's premature to think if that humor will pervade the show, but those parts really did make me cringe a little. I'm still rather curious what Amy's character is going to be in the show and game. They say she'll be "strong and independent", but those descriptions don't give me a clear image of Amy yet so I'll hold my thoughts on her after we see more of her dialogue. Hopefully the action will suffice as I did like the fight between Sonic and the Burnbot. I'll still try out the show, but I can't see myself liking it yet (Although I think it'll much better than Sonic X).

The game so far looks fantastic! I love the small snippet of Sonic and his friends running around what looks to be like an open grassy field. It gives me major Sonic Heroes vibes...Sonic's friends following him around that is. The artwork looks astounding and really calls back to the sense of adventure and vastness a la Super Mario 64, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter. I'll keep a close yet cautious eye of this game.

My thoughts so far:

The game looks great! And it made me very happy to see the characters working together in harmony. Plus, all the the characters are shown their strengths and personality. My problem is that I am afraid the gameplay itself is going to be polorizing and stray too much from the core gameplay that makes Sonic well... Sonic.

In regards to Amy and Knuckles' personality changes...Knuckles seems okay. As long as they don't make him too dumb to live or someone that even a 6 year old can bully. Amy, I don't mind her being independent, it would give her character room to expand. Give her some of her own hopes and dreams. Archeologist? Hey! Expand on that! It could make for something interesting. But, be sure not to make her too strong of a character. I want to see her caring side. I want to see the same character who turned Shadow and Gamma into a new leaf. People need to stop thinking that strong, independent woman = oh noez! Mary Sue! Sally Acorn alert!

I don't understand why it's so hard for sonic games to have funny, interesting dialogue. Voice work is way overdone and generic, especially Mike Pollock. Jokes are embarrassing and aren't funny. One of the guys said that they'd treat their audience intelligently, but this trailer showed exactly the opposite. Strictly for children which is a shame. This is exactly the same as Colors/Lost World.

The only good thing I saw was the character artwork expressions and graphics.