Awoo.

Sonic Boom Behind the Scenes "I'm having a party!"

Badnik Mechanic

I can understand liking the idea. Hell, I'll admit it sounds nifty. But regarding what the show's premise will be and it's rather comedic tone, it's kind of a stretch to think it'll be a possibility besides just being a 'collision of alternate doppelgangers' story.

I would honestly rather see the show crossover with one of the other cartoons, over SEGA!Sonic.

I can't help but think AOSTH's Jaleel White would be perfect for the comedic premise of the show.

I don't care what anyone else says, I think this all looks fantastic and I have a lot more faith in this project than I do in anything to come from Sonic Team. Why? Because these developers sound like they love Sonic and they know why they love Sonic. Nothing is more important to a game's development than that. The best technical developers in the world would put out a shit game if they didn't love their product or understand what would make it great

Thanks for explaining why Bioware did a shit job with Sonic Chronicles man wink.png. Seriously though, its really great that BRB and the producers show such love and passion for the Sonic series; having that passion when working with someone's creation leads into wonderful results (DKC: Returns and DKC Tropical Freeze come to mind smile.png).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thornton's Shadow is still pretty bad in terms of tone of voice.

I dunno, I'd say the 3DS version does a better job of letting Thornton express himself as Shadow; ironically he has more lines in the handheld version =P .

I'd say he sounds quite capable.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like the way Thornton said "Here goes."!

It really does sound like Shadow, like he's not holding anything back in the race. Looks like I've underestimated Thornton.

I like the way Thornton said "Here goes."!

It really does sound like Shadow, like he's not holding anything back in the race. Looks like I've underestimated Thornton.

To be fair, he is rather under-utilized in the HD version of Generations which does get more attention than the handheld counterpart. Shame for Thornton on that. =/

Yeah, Generations may have been a great game but it sure does have its flaws that prevents it from being phenomenal.

Yeah, on their own, both versions of Generations had quite a few detrimental shortcomings. At times it felt like they were meant to have been one together, as opposed to two halves of the same storybook.  Hopefully, that won't be the case with Boom's counterparts.

Well there is no need to worry about that when we got the people that made some damn good platformers during the PS2 era. I'm curious as to what difference the 3DS version might have, does anyone have the history on Sanzaru Games?

The most recent stuff was Sly cooper HD collection, and they made both versions of Sly theives in time

Were they any good, Mando? What elements do you think that Sanzaru might add into Boom?

Were they any good, Mando? What elements do you think that Sanzaru might add into Boom?

The HD ports of Sly 1 and 2 were very well done (with the upcoming Vita port of the HD collection looking nice as well). Sly 4 was a very, very great game; it basically took what was great in Sly 1 and 2, and just built of that. No stupid alternate gameplay styles, no barley playing as Sly, and no barren hub worlds. Sly 4 has tons of great sections where you can play with Sly and his ansters seatlh gameplay, the hubs had tons to do in them, Sly's friends were smartly used in the game (they just added verity here and there when you played too much as Sly) and the story was good to (though the end just...didn't feel satisfying :().

I feel that Sanzaru will make sure the 3ds version is a lot like the Wii U build, but with a more streamlined design. I think they will have the levels be formed a lot like the Sly games; you start a level out with one of the characters and throughout the level you switch between them, giving the levels lots of verity. The game will also look quite nice too (they got Sly 4 more or less fully featured on Vita with it being Native Res to boot, I'm sure they can really push the 3DS hardware in cool ways :)).

• Thumbs Up 3

The HD ports of Sly 1 and 2 were very well done (with the upcoming Vita port of the HD collection looking nice as well). Sly 4 was a very, very great game; it basically took what was great in Sly 1 and 2, and just built of that. No stupid alternate gameplay styles, no barley playing as Sly, and no barren hub worlds. Sly 4 has tons of great sections where you can play with Sly and his ansters seatlh gameplay, the hubs had tons to do in them, Sly's friends were smartly used in the game (they just added verity here and there when you played too much as Sly) and the story was good to (though the end just...didn't feel satisfying sad.png).

I feel that Sanzaru will make sure the 3ds version is a lot like the Wii U build, but with a more streamlined design. I think they will have the levels be formed a lot like the Sly games; you start a level out with one of the characters and throughout the level you switch between them, giving the levels lots of verity. The game will also look quite nice too (they got Sly 4 more or less fully featured on Vita with it being Native Res to boot, I'm sure they can really push the 3DS hardware in cool ways smile.png).

That statement alone gives me hope for the 3DS version.

The biggest fear I have is that it would be like Generations 3DS, in the vein that Sanzaru was only just  given the go ahead to make the game, and only did so to milk a few extra dollars from the handheld market. Obviously it's way too early to tell, but the hope is still there that it will be worthy enough to run alongside its console big brother.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm personally hopeful that "every episode is reset" thing isn't literal. I'd like for there to be at least a few plot elements that continue between episodes, even if it's not a massive overarching plot. That is, you can introduce a character in one episode, have them show up in another, and there's no need for explaining them or their backstory since their last appearance was canon.

Do we really want Shortfuse the Cybernik Syndrome?

I'm personally hopeful that "every episode is reset" thing isn't literal. I'd like for there to be at least a few plot elements that continue between episodes, even if it's not a massive overarching plot. That is, you can introduce a character in one episode, have them show up in another, and there's no need for explaining them or their backstory since their last appearance was canon.

Do we really want Shortfuse the Cybernik Syndrome?

I'm pretty sure it's continuity will be loose at best, there might be references to past episodes but I think that's it. I hope I'm wrong though. I haven't read Sonic the Comic, so can you please explain what's Shortfuse Syndrome?

Shortfuse the Cybernik was a character in Sonic the Comic who made frequent appearances and almost always explained his backstory. This was useful to new readers but absolutely pointless for anyone who was regularly following the strip.

Basically, I'm hopeful that even if most episodes are non-canon, there will be at least a few that still hold relevance down the line.

Shortfuse the Cybernik was a character in Sonic the Comic who made frequent appearances and almost always explained his backstory. This was useful to new readers but absolutely pointless for anyone who was regularly following the strip.

Basically, I'm hopeful that even if most episodes are non-canon, there will be at least a few that still hold relevance down the line.

Ahh, I see. The yeah, defintely don't want that there should be a better way of introducing characters without it becoming repititive. Maybe doing something similar to the Avatar The Last Airbender, where at the solar eclipse, Aang and friends introduce charcters from previous episodes and it works within the context. Maybe they could do something like that but I digress. 

I don't think we have to worry. Even Teen Titans go has loose continuity. The"Super Robin" episode still has the bird that was featured show up... and things. Been watching minut details recently, and by resets I think like. If Tails dies in that preview trailer episode, he'll be alive next episode. Or like Sonic breaks his legs. They'll no longer be broken. Eh

That statement alone gives me hope for the 3DS version.

The biggest fear I have is that it would be like Generations 3DS, in the vein that Sanzaru was only just  given the go ahead to make the game, and only did so to milk a few extra dollars from the handheld market. Obviously it's way too early to tell, but the hope is still there that it will be worthy enough to run alongside its console big brother.

Well, they finished Sly 4 late 2012 (it just came out in February last year...for some odd reason; with Bioshock a month away and TONS of other games like MGR and Tomb Rader...Sly didn't get a huge chance to shine :(...) and it looks like development on their ports for Sly Collection and GOW Collection on Vita started at E3 last year or near it (rumors of the Sly Collection well before that E3 and they announced GOW Collection there), so they have...about a years worth of development time already in the 3ds version. THAT is if they didn't go full-force on there PS4 game yet (as they were listed among the MANY developers making stuff for the PS4 at/around the PS4 unviel), so how knows what the case is here.

Either way, the 3DS version is going to save Sega's hide (since the Wii U version is sadly likely to under-preform), so they must have given Sanzaru a sizable budget to develop the game. And its not like the 3ds is as powerful as a PS3 (or even a Vita), so it must take less time to get things up and running for the 3ds version (as I mentioned in a prior post, its amazing they got Sly running AT ALL on Vita), so with them more or less working from scratch on this....they will have an easier time making the 3DS version.

I don't think we have to worry. Even Teen Titans go has loose continuity. The"Super Robin" episode still has the bird that was featured show up... and things. Been watching minut details recently, and by resets I think like. If Tails dies in that preview trailer episode, he'll be alive next episode. Or like Sonic breaks his legs. They'll no longer be broken. Eh

Given the target audience of this show I get the feeling they wouldn't have non-canon deaths, sadly.

I say sadly because death can itself be a huge source of comedy with the right execution.

• Thumbs Up 4

He I get it. But eh.. as long aa it shows the characters in an ok form it could work but yeah you're right.

• 2 weeks later...

There's something me and some friends noticed that I don't think has been touched upon yet.

Screenshot2014-03-12at142135.png

What's this logo all about? It's definitely not Sonic Boom's logo, and I can't make out what the subtitle below the 'Sonic' says. Could this be a general logo for this new 'canon', and that 'Sonic Boom' is just this installment of it?