Awoo.

The Thread of Glitches and Tricks

Big Panda

A thread to talk about glitches in the games, and the potentially fun exploitation of said glitches.

Most of the glitches I've encountered are ones that most have already discovered. Except for one: during the Metal Sonic rival battle in Generations, I found that the ending cutscene messes up slightly depending where on the track you strike the final blow. It kinda seems as if the scene specifically tailored to take place on a particular part of the track, but it can potentially happen in the wrong place making it so that Sonic doesn't line up with the ground and he's running on thin air.

Another I remember encountering in Sonic Adventure (the original Dreamcast version) when I was a kid, and it's in the cutscene before Emerald Coast in Sonic's story, or more like, a second before it. So you know that first second before the cutscene starts playing where you hear the background noise kick in (in this case, the sound of the ocean in the distance)? Well, as a kid, while waiting for that cutscene to start I would just continuously press the jump button because why the hell not, and in that first second where the sound effects started, I also heard the sound of Sonic jumping.

Every time I went back to that part of the game, that always happened whenever I mashed the jump button: ocean noise accompanied by a single jump sound.

One time it went a step further: as well as mashing the jump button, I also moved the analogue stick. What happened? Sonic's jump sound again as usual, the cutscene begins and...Sonic's laying in a different direction.

Basically, I think there was somehow a split second there right before the cutscene started where I could control Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanna level up Sonic quickly in Unleashed HD but can't be arsed to play stages over and over to garner EXP from enemies?

1 - Find Wentos in a hub.

2 - See if he's selling Pizza and for 20 Rings.

3 - Buy as many 20 Ring Pizza's as you can

4 - Find him in another hub.

5 - See if he will buy back the Pizza for 100 Rings each.

6 - If he does, sell them back to him for a profit of 80 Rings per Pizza. If he won't buy them back for 100 Rings, simply keep finding him in other hubs until he will buy them back at that price.

7 - Buy loads of Chili Dogs/Dureeks/Hero Sandwiches/Sonic's other favored foods with your many Rings, feed them to him and see that EXP roll in.

• Thumbs Up 4

I found a slightly creepy glitch in Shamar. While I was playing the prince quest with Ana, I found her suitor Musaid in the daytime. Switching to night to advance her story along caused Musaid to disappear, and talking to them enacted the next bit of the conversation but the camera seemed to be facing into the floor instead. Switching back to daytime fixed the whole thing.

And an annoying one in Savannah Citadel Day: Drifting just the right way against the railing during the second drifting portion can cause Sonic to break through the railing and essentially be stuck on an unbreakable line. Boosting does nothing except inch him along and I'm fairly confident the set piece that leads to the ramp jump is inaccessible when this is done. Rargh.

In Sonic 3 when Knuckles breaks the bridge in Angel Island Zone Act 2 to send you to Hydrocity Zone, spam jump and you can jump onto the platform on the left before you fall. I do it everytime I play.

Now sit back and watch that fucker chuckle.

#ReallyUsefulGlitches

• Thumbs Up 1

I encountered a weird glitch in the end of the Sonic Generations Metal Sonic battle as well:

The floor was invisible, and Sonic and Metal were visible at a far-away, underneath angle, pretty weird.

I've also got randomly stuck inside a rock in Sonic Unleashed once, more the sort of thing I'd expect from 06.

Also this is cool, interesting seeing the levels from such a different perspective..

In Sonic 3 when Knuckles breaks the bridge in Angel Island Zone Act 2 to send you to Hydrocity Zone, spam jump and you can jump onto the platform on the left before you fall. I do it everytime I play.

#ReallyUsefulGlitches

You can also get up on the platform with him, as Tails and, I think, Sonic with a lightning shield. Start by letting the capsule sink as low as possible before opening it, then once you jump off the bridge, fly/double jump onto the capsule, then fly/double jump off the top of the screen and over to Knuckles.
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you constantly try to jump just before Shadow's Kingdom Valley starts up in 06, you'll hear him jump even though he's on the hang glider at the start of the level.

Also there's that amazing glitch with Rouge and Knuckles which is very hard to pull off. You let go of the glide as soon as you land or are about to land (the timing is very finicky) and go flying a bajillion feet into the air and glide over the entire level. There's also one where you can levitate boxes to glitch through the door to Silver's infamous Dusty Desert ball puzzle and basically all but guarantee the S rank if you beat the level in like 7 or 8 minutes as the time bonus is about 40000. The glitch is hard to do, but it's no worse than doing it legit.

And then there's the rest of the game...

There's a really cool glitch in Modern Crisis City in Generations where you can drift up the hill that happens just after the loop and fly into the air, but I've never managed to pull it off. Some of the top speedrunners have though, and skipped half of the 3D platforming section and the load point for the Hedgehog Engine's platforms, leaving just parts of it visually there.

Getting Tails in Emerald Coast (For SA1) was a fun glitch/exploit. In fact, all of the characters that don't go to Emerald Coast in the game can get there using a similar exploit.

#ReallyUsefulGlitches

No need to spam it actually, you got a full half second.

Glitch:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3&Knuckles...of course to say this again, that even the mighty Genesis/Mega Drive can't handle the whole Blast Processing to run the entire Classic Trilogy to its fullest. So this glitch will generally mostly happen in Sonic 3&K because its the one game to give enough speed. If you can manage to build up enough speed in Hydro-City Zone by either rolling or running, you will be able to go through wall because you move so fast that the Genesis can't handle it and the game won't be able to register the collision for the wall fast enough...you can do this in couple of levels actually...and you can make a good short cut doing this in Hydro-city, but ONLY Hydro-city.

Here's another from Unleashed:

In the Spagonia hub world, daytime, in the side ally where the rail is (walk up the entrance path and take the next left, your there), run to the other end of the rail, where it's really low to the ground, use the crouch move to crawl under the gap at the end, switch to nighttime, and the Werehog gets stuck inside the rail.

I'm pretty sure anyone who's played Sonic 3 alone knows about this one. In Hydrocity Zone Act 2 (after Knuckles drops you into the area leading to the boss of that act) if you go too fast you'll skip the boss and proceed to the roboticizer which at first has glitchy jumbled up graphics, but quickly changes back to its non-glitchy state. After you free the animals and you see the results screen, you're supposed to be sent to marble garden zone by this stream of water sending Sonic flying up in the air but for some reason it never happens. The game just locks up and you just see Sonic standing there and hearing all these splashing sounds. It kinda ruins speedrunning the game because of that and it's so easy to do. But locking the game onto Sonic and knuckles fixes this as well as many other game-breaking bugs that Sonic 3 had.

I recall encountering a strange glitch when playing Sonic 4 Episode 2 online with a friend once. We were racing against Metal Sonic, and at the part where you're supposed to crush him with a metal door, nothing happened. Sonic and Tails just stood there idling. We couldn't control anyone and Metal Sonic was just gone. We eventually got a time over and had to restart. 

In Skyscraper Scamper Day Act 1, if you get hit by the Interceptor as soon as you get to the corner, Sonic will break out of the automatic path and you can go backwards through the Egg Chaser and Interceptor sections.

In Skyscraper Scamper Act 1, if you get hit by the Interceptor as soon as you get to the corner, Sonic will break out of the automatic path and you can go backwards through the Egg Chaser and Interceptor sections.

Oh crap, I recall accidentally doing that in one of the chili dog missions. Didn't know there was a trick to it. I just assumed I broke the game or something. tongue.png

In Oil Ocean Act 2, get to the jet streams.  Jump on the very last spring and hold right. Sonic will hit a group of spikes before becoming stuck in the side of the wall. Jump out to and Sonic will move faster and jump higher than normal.  Cobine this with Super Sonic, and you've basically got the beta Hyper Sonic

In Oil Ocean Act 2, get to the jet streams.  Jump on the very last spring and hold right. Sonic will hit a group of spikes before becoming stuck in the side of the wall. Jump out to and Sonic will move faster and jump higher than normal.  Cobine this with Super Sonic, and you've basically got the beta Hyper Sonic

I remebered doing this as well, it was pretty cool!

In Rivals 1, at the end of Crystal Mountain Act 1, before you hit the goal line, jump dash and the character will be stuck in a pose and the camera will shake, I assume that there was an invisble wall there but I wondered why Backbone would put up an invisible wall that close to the goal sign.

I remembered that there was an audio glitch in Rivals 2, where the sound effect for winning will loop over and over again. Remebered encountering it at Neon Palace Act 3(?) and Blue Coast Act 1.

Edited by SoniTH

I had an animal in chao gardens that let me use it twice on the same chao. Not sure what happened there but it has not happened since. I think it was a bat.

I had an animal in chao gardens that let me use it twice on the same chao. Not sure what happened there but it has not happened since. I think it was a bat.

That's a glitch most people use to increase the stats of Chaos in the Adventures very quickly. If you place an Animal/Chaos Drive about one chao length away from your Chao, the chao will gain stats from that item but you can use the item again for infinite amount of times, it's a pretty common glitch but it's extremely useful.

I've ran into a few glitches with Chronicles, one that I founded recently.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows about that one Nocturne enemy from the Kron Colony that walks all the way up.

But the other one I found in my most recent playthrough of the game was the fact that if I equip a Chao to Shade, the game crashes. I'm not sure why this happens but I think it's because of the DS' age. But that's what I found for now.

• 2 weeks later...

It was that Shadow glitch right? The one where you can get out of Shadow's section before he does his Super Chaos Spear and his AI goes apeshit am I right?

^Well usually it ends up with Shadow being stuck running into the wall, but it looks like he's clipped through the wall and flew into space.

^Well usually it ends up with Shadow being stuck running into the wall, but it looks like he's clipped through the wall and flew into space.

Huh, so there are different variations from that glitch huh. Interesting?